Waltham P.S. Bartlitt PW with Abbott's stem wind attachment

Come on in and introduce yourself!
General watch talk.
River Rat
DWC Tribal Council

Waltham P.S. Bartlitt PW with Abbott's stem wind attachment

Post by River Rat » Fri Dec 04, 2009 11:17 am

This watch I never posted here before.It started out as a Keywind movement.Some Brands like Illinois had transitional watches they had a lot of keywind movement left over when stem wind started to be used no key needed to wind or set a watch what would you want if you were buying a watch back then.So they converted there's to stem wind lever set and left the keywind on the movement so you had both and those were called transitional.Waltham did not never seen one or seen any in any of the books I have.I got this Waltham off fleabay about 6-9 years ago and it's a Keywind /stem wind lever set so how did this happen when Waltham never made them.Well I did a little home work.There was this guy named Henry Abbot he patented Abbott's stem wind attachment in 1876.And this was used when you bought a KW watch from a jeweler and you did not want it being a KW and had him put on this attachment to make it a stem wind lever set watch only one I ever saw.If you look at one of the photo's you will see a lever you need to pull that out to change the time and push it back in to close the case lid.The movement's a Waltham P.S. Bartlett 15 jewel,model 1883,serial no 4629180 made in 1891 in a silver fahy's monarch coin hunter case,With a Abbott's attachment to make it a keywind/stemwind/lever set pocket watch.You can wind it with a key or wind it with the stem.