Hublot, Arturo Fuente and a special guest...

Come on in and introduce yourself!
General watch talk.
Zidane
Stevie's Nick
Name: Nick

Re: Hublot, Arturo Fuente and a special guest...

Post by Zidane » Mon Dec 10, 2012 7:22 pm

Not too shabby, AC.

SCM64
Global Mod/Sinn fanboy

Post by SCM64 » Mon Dec 10, 2012 7:32 pm

hobbit712 wrote:
SCM64 wrote:A buddy of mine's family has been doing business with the Fuentes for years. They grow most of the leaf used by Fuente Cigars, and they helped develop the wrapper leaf for the Opus X line of cigars. I even got a prototype sample from John (who will take over for his dad one day) before they hit the market.

Even met Arturo Fuente Sr. years ago when I stopped by the office. Business is good, as John drives a DB-7.

Personal cigar fav, Arturo Fuentes Hemingway Signature.
I was a huge cigar nut a few years ago and still am to a degree. I went to many a smoking event in my day. I have met a number of the big cigar names over the years. Carlos Jr is a truly humble and nice man to be around.

Steven....I partied at a small cigar event at friends house in Winter Haven many years ago with Johnito.
Ha! That is funny. I'll PM you at some point to see how you know John. He's a hoot.
Steven

Sexually Desirable RockStar Moderator

nishant

Post by nishant » Tue Dec 11, 2012 5:14 pm

Don't care for those watches .. But the event sure looks worth spending time at.. Glad u had a great time !! Cheers ..

snoballz
Baller

Post by snoballz » Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:43 am

I spy craniotes.

-luke

craniotes
Thread Pooper
Name: Ad Rock

Post by craniotes » Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:48 am

I don't recall signing a release form... :think:

Regards,
Adam
CAPT. THREAD POOPER

kfalk
Old Chub
Name: Kelly

Post by kfalk » Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:44 am

Very cool!

Hornet01
Name: Gordo

Post by Hornet01 » Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:00 am

craniotes wrote:
Fitz wrote:As far as the watches go I'm digging the one inside the humidor with the PVD'd or DLC'd case. They really seem to be borrowing design cues from the Royal Oak. When I look at them I see more AP than Hublot, any one else notice this?
It's ceramic, and yes, the Hublot "borrowing" from AP thing has been going on for quite some time now, right down the gazillion LEs that are differentiated by color and case material and little else.

That said, this is a pretty nice watch in person. Still not my bag, but I'm starting to see why some folks are into 'em.

Regards,
Adam

Adam,

What a great opportunity for you, and an excellent write-up. I fully appreciate the concept of a fine cigar but am not a real cigar afficiando myself. But when I do smoke em it's usually in association with (too much) scotch, the collective effects of which generally leave me feeling like shit in the morning. So much for that aspect.

I have an Hublot Big Bang Black Magic which I really, really like, but I haven't even been considering any other Hublots because of, as you say, "...the gazillion LEs that are differentiated by color and case material and little else." As a result, I see little value in expanding the portfolio further in that direction. Furthermore some of the colour combos are nothing shy of atrocious. Venting complete.

Appreciate you letting us share in your cool experience. Cheers.

Gordo

craniotes
Thread Pooper

Post by craniotes » Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:32 am

Hornet01 wrote:I fully appreciate the concept of a fine cigar but am not a real cigar aficionado myself. But when I do smoke em it's usually in association with (too much) scotch, the collective effects of which generally leave me feeling like shit in the morning. So much for that aspect.
That's exactly what my experience is. :puke: And yet, still, smoke 'em, I do. :shrug:

Thanks for the kind words, Gordo. :thumbsup:

Regards,
Adam
CAPT. THREAD POOPER

Seth
Guy who shoots guns

Post by Seth » Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:38 am

I'm a cigar guy. Not a hard-core, head over heels gotta have thousands of them and have a room dedicated to them, but I like a good smoke.

I'm usually good for one or two-week. But with that said I don't have to have them and I can easily give it up anytime.

Ironically cigars are just like wine. You gotta enjoy a shit load of it to get an appreciation for the subtle differences. And then you've spent so much money that you're too spoiled to have cheap stuff. We have a serious wine habit in my house. Not quantity, but the bottle prices are nuts. But if the skirt is gonna work 90 hours a week, I can't fault her for wanting a $10 glass of wine when she gets home.

Either way, you suck.

craniotes
Thread Pooper

Post by craniotes » Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:48 am

True dat in the vino department (my palate is starting to price me out of the habit), and yes, I can definitely see how this would apply to cigars as well. I've been fortunate enough to be provided with some decent smokes on occasion, so I can only imagine what a sub-par cigar must taste like.

Regards,
Adam

PS - Yeah, I do kinda suck. Thursday night will probably make me suck even more (that's when the joint Red Bar/Girard-Perregaux event goes down), but at least I'll have some more company this time around... ;)
CAPT. THREAD POOPER

JBZ
Mr. Tasseled Loafer
Name: Jeff

Post by JBZ » Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:05 pm

From a financial standpoint, where alcohol is concerned I've kind of lucked out - I much prefer bourbon to scotch, and bourbon is a much less expensive habit (not that I'd kick a good scotch to the curb or anything). The red wines I've tried give me a raging headache (just two glasses is enough to do it), so I generally avoid them, and I really don't like the taste of white wine.

As an aside, there's a great scene in the movie "The Ghost" with Ewan MacGregor. He's been offered some very nice wine but instead pours himself a glass of scotch with the comment, "wine: I've never seen the point."

My wife likes white wine, but she hasn't caught the wine bug full on, so we're not going cash poor on that account.

I did the cigar thing back when it got popular in the mid to late '90's. Haven't had one in years - would probably turn me greener than Kermit the Frog at this point.

BTW Adam, I can't believe you weren't featured more prominently in that video. :tap: