An unfortunate misunderstanding on YOUR part ....

Come on in and introduce yourself!
General watch talk.
THE CONTINENTAL

An unfortunate misunderstanding on YOUR part ....

Post by THE CONTINENTAL » Sun May 16, 2010 11:10 am

My I certainly seem to have made a rather poor impression around here! Lamentably I always seem to come across rather badly whenever I interact with the working classes. I tend to forget that not everyone has had access to my education and societal opportunities. This is surely regrettable and in the future, I will endeavor to take fully into account the somewhat limited means, education and ambitions of my fellow forummers.

That said, have a look at one of my more ubiquitous watches. It's a relatively inexpensive piece that I picked up several years back while vacationing in the Emirates. A clean, simple redesign of an earlier 60's GO model. A great "under the radar" watch as they say. Several of my associates have at least one Glashutte Original in their collection. Cheers.

...And the meek shall inherit the Earth. But until then, the rich are going to have a pretty good time.

SCM64
Global Mod/Sinn fanboy

Re: An unfortunate misunderstanding on YOUR part ....

Post by SCM64 » Sun May 16, 2010 11:20 am

Well any GO fan can't be all bad.
Steven

Sexually Desirable RockStar Moderator

polaco23
Actually chooses to live in Detroit
Name: Dominik

Post by polaco23 » Sun May 16, 2010 11:41 am

looks great, i wonder what the size of those are.

Sounds like youre toning it down a bit, glad to hear that. :cheers:

matt.wu
Wu
Name: m@

Post by matt.wu » Sun May 16, 2010 11:45 am

lol :roll:

Was this supposed to make things better? :scratch: Dom, I just don't see his response as toned down in the least.
THE CONTINENTAL wrote:An unfortunate misunderstanding on YOUR part ....
THE CONTINENTAL wrote:My I certainly seem to have made a rather poor impression around here! Lamentably I always seem to come across rather badly whenever I interact with the working classes.
THE CONTINENTAL wrote:This is surely regrettable and in the future, I will endeavor to take fully into account the somewhat limited means, education and ambitions of my fellow forummers.
This guy is a troll. He has to be. No one is like this in real life. I know a few folks who rank in his "class", and they're nothing like the stereotype he's trying to portray.
:htfu:

ezcheese
Cheese Connoisseur
Name: Derek

Post by ezcheese » Sun May 16, 2010 11:54 am

Hey, I have an MBA, which has afforded me many riches and opportunities in life!

:bs:
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

merichar

Post by merichar » Sun May 16, 2010 12:09 pm

Whoever this person is they are using a photo of Ben Domenech as their avatar. Google him and you'll see the pic credited to the Washington Post.
Mark

Sukispop
Name: Geoff

Post by Sukispop » Sun May 16, 2010 12:14 pm

polaco23 wrote:looks great, i wonder what the size of those are.
Dom, I believe that's a Senator Sixties. If I'm correct, here are the specs:

Movement: GO Caliber 39-52, ø 26mm, height 4.3mm; 25 jewels; 28,800 vph

Case: rose gold(or other gold with this variant), ø 39mm, height 9.4mm; domed sapphire crystal; domed transparent case back

Variations: stainless steel

(Info borrowed from Wristwatch Annual 2010)

Sukispop
Name: Geoff

Post by Sukispop » Sun May 16, 2010 12:16 pm

matt.wu wrote:
This guy is a troll. He has to be. No one is like this in real life. I know a few folks who rank in his "class", and they're nothing like the stereotype he's trying to portray.
I agree, Matt.

randyswagon
Name: Heywood Jablome

Post by randyswagon » Sun May 16, 2010 12:19 pm

THE CONTINENTAL wrote:
My I certainly seem to have made a rather poor impression around here! Lamentably I always seem to come across rather badly whenever I interact with the working classes.

. . . I always love the "working class" reference. :raised: I'm one of those 8th grade knuckleheads that worked his way through the ranks, and now I spend most of my time either explaining why an idea LOOKS good on paper but isn't worth shit in the field . . . or salvaging a job after some nimrod fresh out of 7 years of idealism forced his vision of change onto the playing field.

. . . We need these people guys. They keep the rest of us working folk gainfully employed and breaking new ground chasing their mistakes. :roll:

porschefan

Post by porschefan » Sun May 16, 2010 12:26 pm

Beat me to it Matt.
Tim
A firm believer in - and enjoying a personal relationship with my wife
Life's too long for crappy food, beer, wine & watches.
"I cook with wine, sometimes I even add it to the food."--W.C. Fields

snootydog
Jagermaster
Name: Andy

Post by snootydog » Sun May 16, 2010 12:32 pm

matt.wu wrote:lol :roll:

Was this supposed to make things better? :scratch: Dom, I just don't see his response as toned down in the least.
THE CONTINENTAL wrote:An unfortunate misunderstanding on YOUR part ....
THE CONTINENTAL wrote:My I certainly seem to have made a rather poor impression around here! Lamentably I always seem to come across rather badly whenever I interact with the working classes.
THE CONTINENTAL wrote:This is surely regrettable and in the future, I will endeavor to take fully into account the somewhat limited means, education and ambitions of my fellow forummers.
You are totally correct Matt,its a comedy stereotype that doesnt exist here anymore....although some come quite close. This type generally inhabit TZ-UK,from which i am banned,lol. Im surprised he can lower himself to post on a forum that has a working class council house tennant as a member....i feel honoured and must remember to tug my forelock (hey,thats FORELOCK,gutter brains,lol)if i meet him :roll: :roll: :roll: . -Andy :uj:
Andy :uj:

Geoffrey

Post by Geoffrey » Sun May 16, 2010 1:29 pm

Must be a Yale Man. How gauche.
Poor chap. Sad really.
Now I must leave as I have The Admirals Ascot Cotillion to attend.
Oh and by the by... :bootyshake:
Cheers
G

SonnyD

Post by SonnyD » Sun May 16, 2010 1:31 pm

He could be Thurston Howe's bastard son!....except he sounds like he's reading from the script of one of the
WWE wrestlers.......Is that you JBL???????????...LOLOLOLOL I'm betting that actually he's the voice
of the guy doing the "Pronunciation of various brands" thread.
Regards Sonny
Last edited by SonnyD on Sun May 16, 2010 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Geoffrey

Post by Geoffrey » Sun May 16, 2010 1:33 pm

Oh Dear! A malfunction!
A Larch.

THE CONTINENTAL

Post by THE CONTINENTAL » Sun May 16, 2010 1:35 pm

merichar wrote:Whoever this person is they are using a photo of Ben Domenech as their avatar. Google him and you'll see the pic credited to the Washington Post.

Why yes, my avatar IS indeed a picture of Ben Domenech. I happen to admire him as a very astute Conservative. However, if it is unsuitable, I shall remove it.

I would also inquire as to why many of you assume I am from England? I certainly never stated nor implied that I was. Point of fact, I am 100% American. I hail from the Northeast, but have spent much of my years travelling and living abroad. I do not pretend to be any other than who I am. I had no idea that a full diclosure of my personal life was necessary to participate in the discussion of horology.

I initially discovered this forum while seeking examples of vintage Blancpain Fifty Fathom dive watches, of which I am currently looking to purchase. You seem to be a very testy group. I'm not sure I understand the source of the hostility towards newcomers.

Cheers - Potter
Last edited by THE CONTINENTAL on Sun May 16, 2010 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
...And the meek shall inherit the Earth. But until then, the rich are going to have a pretty good time.

Chief Big Watch
Name: Arek

Post by Chief Big Watch » Sun May 16, 2010 1:36 pm

:lol:

Let me go back to plowing my field and feeding my horses wearing my working class watch, (sun and a stick)
There are only two kinds of people in the world, the ones that own Sinn U1, U1W, U2, UX, U212 and U-Unlimited, and ones that don’t.
ImageImage

Bałkańska w żyłach płynie krew

DMB
Global Moderator
Name: Magnificent Bastard
Location: On the high ground with interlocking fields of fire

Post by DMB » Sun May 16, 2010 1:41 pm

SonnyD wrote:He could be Thurston Howe's bastard son!....

HAAAAAHAAAAHAAAHAAAHAAA :roll: :roll: :roll:

BSears
The Grumpy Global Mod
Name: Mr. Dibs
Location: Big Blue Nation, Land of the Free-Home of the Brave

Post by BSears » Sun May 16, 2010 1:49 pm

No hostility here, Potter. But referring to the rank and file here as the "working class" tends to put us on the defensive, a sort of hierarchy of social demarcation mentality that unfortunately, the haut monde (like yourself) have created and perpetuated. No one here claims to be more than they are - and bullshit tends to get called out quickly. You seem to have a nice collection and certainly pics are always welcomed - but please leave the aristocratic mindset at the doorstep. I think you'll enjoy your time here a lot more if you do. :thumbsup:

Thurston Howell.... :roll: :roll: :roll: Eee gads, I do hope that won't ruin your reputation at the country club. :banplz:
You give respect, you'll get respect - you just don't know your place.

snootydog
Jagermaster
Name: Andy

Post by snootydog » Sun May 16, 2010 2:04 pm

Waaaaaaaaaaaa he's American...yipeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee i feel so much better already. Now i have an image of that little dude,Will Smiths cousin in "The Fresh Prince of Bellair". Maybe we should call this one "The Fresh Prince of Bellend" . No offence intended Potter :thumbsup: .:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: . -Andy :uj:
Andy :uj:

jimyritz
Masshole
Name: Mike

Post by jimyritz » Sun May 16, 2010 2:08 pm

:raised:

ezcheese
Cheese Connoisseur
Name: Derek

Post by ezcheese » Sun May 16, 2010 2:08 pm

Carlton, is that you?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Diaboliq
Strap Maker Extraordinaire
Name: Joe

Post by Diaboliq » Sun May 16, 2010 2:17 pm

ezcheese wrote:Carlton, is that you?

:roll: :clap:

Either him or this fella here..

Click:

deepcdvr
Flipper Extraordinaire
Name: Paul

Post by deepcdvr » Sun May 16, 2010 2:18 pm

THE CONTINENTAL wrote:
merichar wrote:Whoever this person is they are using a photo of Ben Domenech as their avatar. Google him and you'll see the pic credited to the Washington Post.

Why yes, my avatar IS indeed a picture of Ben Domenech. I happen to admire him as a very astute Conservative. However, if it is unsuitable, I shall remove it.

I would also inquire as to why many of you assume I am from England? I certainly never stated nor implied that I was. Point of fact, I am 100% American. I hail from the Northeast, but have spent much of my years travelling and living abroad. I do not pretend to be any other than who I am. I had no idea that a full diclosure of my personal life was necessary to participate in the discussion of horology.

I initially discovered this forum while seeking examples of vintage Blancpain Fifty Fathom dive watches, of which I am currently looking to purchase. You seem to be a very testy group. I'm not sure I understand the source of the hostility towards newcomers.

Cheers - Potter
WELCOME! I like your style! :love: I think we are cut of the same cloth. I lower myself every day that I generously give of my important time and vastly superior thoughts and opinions to the working class - and yes, VERY testy group - in this forum. No need to to "diclose" (by the way, there should be an 's' before the 'c') your personal life or tell us about your "travelling" abroad (by the way, there is only one 'L' in that word). You may have become my personal hero! :cheers: Glad to know that you are also a "100% American"! Like you, I am well traveled and educated.. very nice to know I have a kindred spirit here.. it's about time.
VR/
Paul

SI VI PACEM, PARA BELLUM

polaco23
Actually chooses to live in Detroit
Name: Dominik

Post by polaco23 » Sun May 16, 2010 2:30 pm

welcome Mr. Potter, can we just call you Harry? :grin:

Good luck on the BF FF, thats a nice watch, i thought it would be a bit too "working class" for a WASP like yourself, but to each his own. I find them kitch, if i were in the market for one, id buy a vintage original version, not the replica. :snooty:

(see, i cant even fake being a snob! :doh: )

Dedalus
Professor J
Name: Jared

Post by Dedalus » Sun May 16, 2010 3:10 pm

THE CONTINENTAL wrote:I tend to forget that not everyone has had access to my education and societal opportunities. This is surely regrettable and in the future, I will endeavor to take fully into account the somewhat limited means, education and ambitions of my fellow forummers.
In your case, "education and societal opportunities" have obviously had little impact on the acquisition of style, manners, and overall gravitas. :shrug:

As a PhD candidate whose research combines the disciplines of English Lit., Philosophy, Sociology, Political Science, and Biomedical discourse, I regularly have the opportunity to mingle with professors, many of them leaders in their respective field, and never have I encountered any who would dare carry themselves with the kind of asinine pomposity displayed here.

Until proven otherwise, I'll continue to treat this as a joke. :roll: And now I'll return to something a little more serious, even if somewhat limited in ambition. :bird: :bootyshake: