Where has all the good taste in watches gone?

Come on in and introduce yourself!
General watch talk.
THE CONTINENTAL

Where has all the good taste in watches gone?

Post by THE CONTINENTAL » Sat May 22, 2010 11:38 am

I spent the better part of last week on international flights and in several airports. Although I always travel First Class, I did get the opportunity to view a wide variety of wristwatches from the "general admission" section. I was disappointed to discover that there were very few notable examples of quality wristwatches in my week of jet-setting around the globe.

On one flight, I was seated across the aisle from a very pleasant gentleman from Dubai who was wearing a Vacheron Constantin Royal Eagle Chronograph in 18kt Rose Gold. It was a lovely 37mm's with a chocolate brown Crocodile strap. A very striking timepiece, which if I'm not mistaken commands around $32,000 USD. I was wearing my Jaeger LeCoultre Reverso Grande GMT. We had a very pleasant discussion regarding watches over a few tumblers of scotch.

Moving on to the point of this discussion, I cannot recall the last time I saw so many ugly watches. The various airports I passed through were a hive of blinged out, absurdly large, quartz fashion watches [read Tag Heuer, Fossil, Kenneth Cole, et al] as well as their equally ridiculous ying-yang counterparts; the PVD coated special operations, tactical, stealth watches. Both are equally unappealing. Additionally, I caught glimpses of several examples of both lower end automatics and horrendous trend watches [read Invicta, Seiko, Breitling, Panerai, Bell&Ross]. I seemed that the bigger, shinier, and overall uglier the watch, the more obnoxious and socially unnacceptable the wearer. One very overweight individual in particular was wearing flip flops, shorts, and a discount store polo which was about to burst at the seams, while sporting a huge shiny Breitling or Breitling replica. Honestly, I could not get close enough to verify for fear of being crushed by his fat wife and summarily eaten by his overweight children. My only oasis of couth was found in the private airport VIP club where I am a member. In there I had an opportunity to meet a surgeon from California who was an avid collector of vintage watches and automobiles. He was sporting a very clean example of a Rolex bubbleback dating to approximately 1950.

In closing, I was disappointed with the choices of timepieces that the average person wears. Overtly large, shiny, and generally ostentatious (as long as they don't exceed $500)seems to be the choice of the masses.
...And the meek shall inherit the Earth. But until then, the rich are going to have a pretty good time.

HalifaxNS
Wacky Canadian
Name: Jerel

Re: Where has all the good taste in watches gone?

Post by HalifaxNS » Sat May 22, 2010 11:51 am

Maybe quality timekeeping isnt really needed by the lower class. Time is money, its not there to tell us when Jerry is on. I say just stick to business class and never look anyone else in the eye, or wrist.
Tudor Submariner, snowflake.
Omega Speedmaster, 3570.
Bathys Aquaculture, rose.

polaco23
Actually chooses to live in Detroit
Name: Dominik

Post by polaco23 » Sat May 22, 2010 11:57 am

The economy must be hitting you hard. I thought you would be using a private airport and flying in your own chartered plane. :shrug:

Sorry to hear you are hurting for money, maybe put the Reverso on the sales forum to help yourself get back on your feet?

:neener:

justsellbrgs
Name: John

Post by justsellbrgs » Sat May 22, 2010 11:57 am

I travel around the world as well and see many nice watches. Just last Thursday I met a nice Gent from the UK wearing a beautifully restored Tudor.

Maybe your nose is too high in the air and you are not noticing what some are wearing. People have a tendency to avoid pricks as well, doesn't have anything to do with money.

Here's my quote for rich guys:

"You can be a king or a street sweeper, but everyone dances with the grim reaper."
:raised:
"Go forth, my progeny, grab the world by the balls, squeeze hard and shake vigorously." J. Koch (aka "Swedefreak")

rousp
Name: Kristian

Post by rousp » Sat May 22, 2010 12:06 pm

EDIT: Read with added irony. Very satiric post.

Haha, ranting over the general publics watch taste.

I suddenly feel very colonial! :clap:

I do see your point's thou.. But I wouldn't narrow it down to watches.. My observations indicate that inn all parts of our society we are craving the large, flashy and even vulgar. Personally I blame the Americans. :whistle:

Need I say more?

EDIT: Irony and satire ends here!

Well, yes. If you look at the larger trend shiftings you will find that we are moving back to quality and craftsmanship.
And I think we have to thank the environmentalists for this.. Annoyingly enough...

And the fact that everyone can't like the same...
Last edited by rousp on Sat May 22, 2010 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Kristian

Savings - feel better on the wrist than in the bank.

andrema
Bean Counter Extraordinaire
Name: William Drayton, Jr.

Post by andrema » Sat May 22, 2010 12:08 pm

Funny, I had a similar experience this weekend. I was in Washington State on business and had the opportunity to have lunch with Bill Gates. While I was being carried to my seat, I noticed Bill staring at my wrist. I had my "middle of the road" watch on and wondered if he knew what it was. However, since he didn't directly ask about it, I didn't mention anything and we continued with our meal.

Just as I was getting ready to leave for the helipad, Bill grabbed my wrist and asked me about my watch. I was very excited that he was a "watch guy", so I took off my Breguet Double Tourbillion and handed it to him. We spent the next ten minutes discussing the watch and how extraordinary the movement was. At the end of our conversation, I asked to see his watch. He took it off of his wrist and tossed over his 1983 Casio G-Shock. I was appalled, slapped him across the face with my rubber gove and promptly left.If this were the 1990's, I would have challenged the rube to a duel.

Let me tell you, I will never do business with that unsophisticated bastard again! Damn working-class simpleton!!

Vous êtes un âne pompus!
Last edited by andrema on Sat May 22, 2010 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rousp

Post by rousp » Sat May 22, 2010 12:10 pm

andrema wrote:Funny, I had a similar experience this weekend. I was in Washington State on business and had the opportunity to have lunch with Bill Gates. While I was being carried to my seat, I noticed Bill staring at my wrist. I had my "middle of the road" watch on and wondered if he knew what it was. However, since he didn't directly ask about it, I didn't mention anything and we continued with our meal.

Just as I was getting ready to leave for the helipad, Bill grabbed my wrist and asked me about my watch. I was very excited that he was a "watch guy", so I took off my Breguet Double Tourbillion and handed it to him. We spent the next ten minutes discussing the watch and how extraordinary the movement was. At the end of our conversation, I asked to see his watch. He took it off of his wrist and tossed over his 1983 Casio G-Shock. I was appalled, slapped him across the face with my rubber gove and promptly left.If this were the 1990's, I would have challenged the rube to a duel.

Let me tell you, I will never do business with that unsophisticated bastard again! Damn working-class simpleton!!

Haha, I think you figured this guy out pretty well! :D
-Kristian

Docrwm

Post by Docrwm » Sat May 22, 2010 12:28 pm

THE CONTINENTAL wrote:I spent the better part of last week on international flights and in several airports. Although I always travel First Class, I did get the opportunity to view a wide variety of wristwatches from the "general admission" section. I was disappointed to discover that there were very few notable examples of quality wristwatches in my week of jet-setting around the globe.

On one flight, I was seated across the aisle from a very pleasant gentleman from Dubai who was wearing a Vacheron Constantin Royal Eagle Chronograph in 18kt Rose Gold. It was a lovely 37mm's with a chocolate brown Crocodile strap. A very striking timepiece, which if I'm not mistaken commands around $32,000 USD. I was wearing my Jaeger LeCoultre Reverso Grande GMT. We had a very pleasant discussion regarding watches over a few tumblers of scotch.

Moving on to the point of this discussion, I cannot recall the last time I saw so many ugly watches. The various airports I passed through were a hive of blinged out, absurdly large, quartz fashion watches [read Tag Heuer, Fossil, Kenneth Cole, et al] as well as their equally ridiculous ying-yang counterparts; the PVD coated special operations, tactical, stealth watches. Both are equally unappealing. Additionally, I caught glimpses of several examples of both lower end automatics and horrendous trend watches [read Invicta, Seiko, Breitling, Panerai, Bell&Ross]. I seemed that the bigger, shinier, and overall uglier the watch, the more obnoxious and socially unnacceptable the wearer. One very overweight individual in particular was wearing flip flops, shorts, and a discount store polo which was about to burst at the seams, while sporting a huge shiny Breitling or Breitling replica. Honestly, I could not get close enough to verify for fear of being crushed by his fat wife and summarily eaten by his overweight children. My only oasis of couth was found in the private airport VIP club where I am a member. In there I had an opportunity to meet a surgeon from California who was an avid collector of vintage watches and automobiles. He was sporting a very clean example of a Rolex bubbleback dating to approximately 1950.

In closing, I was disappointed with the choices of timepieces that the average person wears. Overtly large, shiny, and generally ostentatious (as long as they don't exceed $500)seems to be the choice of the masses.
:roll: :roll: :roll: Parva leves capiunt animas. Superbia est a regnum vacuus a flos.
Last edited by Docrwm on Sat May 22, 2010 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cali kid
Unabomber impersonator
Name: Trevor

Post by cali kid » Sat May 22, 2010 12:31 pm

His nose isnt too high up in the air, his head is shoved way too far up his ass! :bird: Kristian, as a young guy i feel you are making a huge mistake lumping all us Americans into one group, though we have our problems i'm sure not much more than most countries and lets not forget about the two generations of young American boys that were sent over to Europe so your family could keep the lifestyle it was used to and thousands of them never made it home to they're families! :shrug: Not trying to cause any problems but i'm sure i could google Norway just as you did the USA and find some pretty dumb shit going on! :stir: As for the Escalade, i say nice ride and they do make them in flex fuel models!
Image Image Image
Trevor

Docrwm

Post by Docrwm » Sat May 22, 2010 12:38 pm

cali kid wrote:His nose isnt too high up in the air, his head is shoved way too far up his ass! :bird: Kristian, as a young guy i feel you are making a huge mistake lumping all us Americans into one group, though we have our problems i'm sure not much more than most countries and lets not forget about the two generations of young American boys that were sent over to Europe so your family could keep the lifestyle it was used to and thousands of them never made it home to they're families! :shrug: Not trying to cause any problems but i'm sure i could google Norway just as you did the USA and find some pretty dumb shit going on! :stir: As for the Escalade, i say nice ride and they do make them in flex fuel models!
Trev,

There is a very apt proverb in Arabic that seems crafted for this situation:
الغطرسة هي الحشائش التي تنمو في معظمها على المزبلة.

andrema
Bean Counter Extraordinaire
Name: William Drayton, Jr.

Post by andrema » Sat May 22, 2010 12:45 pm

Docrwm wrote:
cali kid wrote:His nose isnt too high up in the air, his head is shoved way too far up his ass! :bird: Kristian, as a young guy i feel you are making a huge mistake lumping all us Americans into one group, though we have our problems i'm sure not much more than most countries and lets not forget about the two generations of young American boys that were sent over to Europe so your family could keep the lifestyle it was used to and thousands of them never made it home to they're families! :shrug: Not trying to cause any problems but i'm sure i could google Norway just as you did the USA and find some pretty dumb shit going on! :stir: As for the Escalade, i say nice ride and they do make them in flex fuel models!
Trev,

There is a very apt proverb in Arabic that seems crafted for this situation:لغطرسة هي الحشائش التي تنمو في معظمها على المزبلة.
Somebody needs to go to the hardware and get some weed-b-gone...القاري هو نضح

Docrwm

Post by Docrwm » Sat May 22, 2010 12:54 pm

andrema wrote:
Docrwm wrote:
Trev,

There is a very apt proverb in Arabic that seems crafted for this situation:لغطرسة هي الحشائش التي تنمو في معظمها على المزبلة.
Mark,

You know I like Seikos. There is a reason beyond the watches themselves.

The first of the seven types of arrogance, which are enumerated in some Buddhist scriptures, points to the essential quality of arrogance—“to think that one is superior to those inferior to oneself and that one is equal to one’s equals”. Why is this arrogance? Isn’t it just telling it like it is? What is implied here is that arrogance is essentially our inclination to judge our self-worth by comparing ourselves with others.

Certain comparisons between oneself and others may be objectively true—such as income, IQ or physical appearance. But if we constantly judge our self-worth through comparison with others in whatever standards chosen, we are becoming arrogant. Of course, this is not to deny some merits that comparison and competition bring to our lives—such as motivation for improvement and an opportunity for self-reflection.

Moreover, the correct assessment of our circumstances through comparison is essential to improving our lives. In fact, those living in isolation or unwilling to learn from others are arrogant. Comparison with others becomes a cause for our concern when it becomes a sole measure for judging our existence. Put simply, if we start thinking of our lives as happy or unhappy, meaningful or meaningless, solely based on comparison with others, we may as well consider ourselves as arrogant.

Arrogant people feel good about themselves only through affirming their superiority to others. Our sense of superiority is always relative to whom we are compared with and never constant because of our own changing circumstances. False confidence based on superiority, therefore, easily turns into a feeling of inferiority and self-disparagement, like a millionaire feeling poor among billionaires, a Ph.D. feeling foolish among Nobel laureates or a healthy person feeling overweight among supermodels. This is why false humility or self-disparagement is considered as arrogance in Buddhism. (See the nine types of arrogance in The Soka Gakkai Dictionary of Buddhism, p. 457.) Put another way, arrogance and self-disparagement are two sides of the same coin; we cannot have one without the potential for the other.

Genuinely confident people, on the other hand, feel great about themselves without comparing themselves with others. Such people are aware of some intrinsic personal strength or merit worthy of praise and respect. Confident people can put into perspective their ups and downs of life in this society driven by comparison and competition. Their missed promotion or lost love does not spell out their failure as a human being. Their financial success or academic achievement does not make them superior to their peers. So long as they continue to be aware of their innate positive quality and strive to cultivate it, people will remain confident regardless of their external circumstances. And Buddhism teaches that the most reliable source of confidence is our innate Buddha nature.

Arrogance is egotism; confidence is altruism

What clearly distinguishes the arrogant from the confident is whether or not they desire and act for others’ happiness greater than their own. Arrogant people are keenly aware that their self-esteem depends upon their superiority to others. So they often take delight in pitying the less fortunate since they can reaffirm their superior status by doing so.

The “kindness” of the arrogant, however, extends only so far as it supports their self-importance; it continues as long as the less fortunate remain less fortunate. Precisely for this reason, the arrogant cannot will and act for the supreme happiness of others because they fear it would only diminish their own happiness. This explains why it is often easier to feel ambiguous pity for our underpaid coworkers than to share their joy over their sudden promotion. One’s loss must be another’s gain—this is the basic assumption of life held by the arrogant who cannot stop comparing their fortune with that of others.

Confidence, on the other hand, makes genuine altruism possible. Since confident people’s self-worth does not depend upon others, they are free to care for others and fight for their happiness with the hope that it exceeds even their own. In fact, the confident see their contribution to others’ happiness as proof of their expanding humanity and as a source of great joy.

Do not let the arrogance of another harden you or cause you to err. You should as much rant against the wind, for you have as much chance of changing it for the better.

moishlashen
Name: Leu Sanis

Post by moishlashen » Sat May 22, 2010 1:27 pm

So Conti are you a nato or zulu guy?

"I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude."

rousp

Post by rousp » Sat May 22, 2010 1:50 pm

cali kid wrote:...

Kristian, as a young guy i feel you are making a huge mistake lumping all us Americans into one group, though we have our problems i'm sure not much more than most countries and lets not forget about the two generations of young American boys that were sent over to Europe so your family could keep the lifestyle it was used to and thousands of them never made it home to they're families! :shrug: Not trying to cause any problems but i'm sure i could google Norway just as you did the USA and find some pretty dumb shit going on! :stir: As for the Escalade, i say nice ride and they do make them in flex fuel models!
Haha, I'm sorry if I offended you.

Read it in the spirit of the thread. With added irony.

You are 307m people, of course your not all the same! :thumbsup:
-Kristian

rousp

Post by rousp » Sat May 22, 2010 2:02 pm

Docrwm wrote: There is a very apt proverb in Arabic that seems crafted for this situation:
الغطرسة هي الحشائش التي تنمو في معظمها على المزبلة.
Very nice quote! :cheers:
Do you know how it's said? Would be fun to use this!
-Kristian

DMB
Global Moderator
Name: Magnificent Bastard
Location: On the high ground with interlocking fields of fire

Post by DMB » Sat May 22, 2010 2:13 pm

Docrwm wrote:
andrema wrote:
Docrwm wrote:
Trev,

Mark,

You know I like Seikos. There is a reason beyond the watches themselves.

The first of the seven types of arrogance, which are enumerated in some Buddhist scriptures, points to the essential quality of arrogance—“to think that one is superior to those inferior to oneself and that one is equal to one’s equals”. Why is this arrogance? Isn’t it just telling it like it is? What is implied here is that arrogance is essentially our inclination to judge our self-worth by comparing ourselves with others.

Certain comparisons between oneself and others may be objectively true—such as income, IQ or physical appearance. But if we constantly judge our self-worth through comparison with others in whatever standards chosen, we are becoming arrogant. Of course, this is not to deny some merits that comparison and competition bring to our lives—such as motivation for improvement and an opportunity for self-reflection.

Moreover, the correct assessment of our circumstances through comparison is essential to improving our lives. In fact, those living in isolation or unwilling to learn from others are arrogant. Comparison with others becomes a cause for our concern when it becomes a sole measure for judging our existence. Put simply, if we start thinking of our lives as happy or unhappy, meaningful or meaningless, solely based on comparison with others, we may as well consider ourselves as arrogant.

Arrogant people feel good about themselves only through affirming their superiority to others. Our sense of superiority is always relative to whom we are compared with and never constant because of our own changing circumstances. False confidence based on superiority, therefore, easily turns into a feeling of inferiority and self-disparagement, like a millionaire feeling poor among billionaires, a Ph.D. feeling foolish among Nobel laureates or a healthy person feeling overweight among supermodels. This is why false humility or self-disparagement is considered as arrogance in Buddhism. (See the nine types of arrogance in The Soka Gakkai Dictionary of Buddhism, p. 457.) Put another way, arrogance and self-disparagement are two sides of the same coin; we cannot have one without the potential for the other.

Genuinely confident people, on the other hand, feel great about themselves without comparing themselves with others. Such people are aware of some intrinsic personal strength or merit worthy of praise and respect. Confident people can put into perspective their ups and downs of life in this society driven by comparison and competition. Their missed promotion or lost love does not spell out their failure as a human being. Their financial success or academic achievement does not make them superior to their peers. So long as they continue to be aware of their innate positive quality and strive to cultivate it, people will remain confident regardless of their external circumstances. And Buddhism teaches that the most reliable source of confidence is our innate Buddha nature.

Arrogance is egotism; confidence is altruism

What clearly distinguishes the arrogant from the confident is whether or not they desire and act for others’ happiness greater than their own. Arrogant people are keenly aware that their self-esteem depends upon their superiority to others. So they often take delight in pitying the less fortunate since they can reaffirm their superior status by doing so.

The “kindness” of the arrogant, however, extends only so far as it supports their self-importance; it continues as long as the less fortunate remain less fortunate. Precisely for this reason, the arrogant cannot will and act for the supreme happiness of others because they fear it would only diminish their own happiness. This explains why it is often easier to feel ambiguous pity for our underpaid coworkers than to share their joy over their sudden promotion. One’s loss must be another’s gain—this is the basic assumption of life held by the arrogant who cannot stop comparing their fortune with that of others.

Confidence, on the other hand, makes genuine altruism possible. Since confident people’s self-worth does not depend upon others, they are free to care for others and fight for their happiness with the hope that it exceeds even their own. In fact, the confident see their contribution to others’ happiness as proof of their expanding humanity and as a source of great joy.

Do not let the arrogance of another harden you or cause you to err. You should as much rant against the wind, for you have as much chance of changing it for the better.

Holy shit Doc, that's a lot of deep stuff. All I want to know is, when I can snatch the pebble from the Master's hand ... will I then be ready?

PS ... Buddha aint got nothing on Jack Handy and his "Deep Thoughts". :grin:

River Rat
DWC Tribal Council

Post by River Rat » Sat May 22, 2010 2:38 pm

What no private jet :raised: You mite call this place I have use it my self.
http://www.luxuryairjets.com/aircraft.php

theoilrigger

Post by theoilrigger » Sat May 22, 2010 3:21 pm

I have never flown in 1st class, but I recall when I was a teenager, I spent one summer as a pool boy in the Hamptons...

the family was extremely rich and mingled w/ some of the most exclusive people. the old man took a liking to me and insisted that I call him "Franco". he would take me to his hanger and show me his classic cars and planes. he never asked me my name but would always shout out strange nicknames like
"hey Sport"
"sweet mouth"
"handy cowboy"
and
"nice ass!!!"

he would lay out by the pool and rub jalapenos on his a**hole, screaming "spicy time for the rich!!!"

I was not asked back the following year due to an incident at x-mas involving Franco and an egg nog ladle...

it was a shame, I NEVER ask what kind of watch he was wearing...

DMB
Global Moderator
Name: Magnificent Bastard
Location: On the high ground with interlocking fields of fire

Post by DMB » Sat May 22, 2010 3:35 pm

:shock:

moishlashen
Name: Leu Sanis

Post by moishlashen » Sat May 22, 2010 3:50 pm

:shock:

"I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude."

River Rat
DWC Tribal Council

Post by River Rat » Sat May 22, 2010 3:51 pm

theoilrigger wrote:I have never flown in 1st class, but I recall when I was a teenager, I spent one summer as a pool boy in the Hamptons...

the family was extremely rich and mingled w/ some of the most exclusive people. the old man took a liking to me and insisted that I call him "Franco". he would take me to his hanger and show me his classic cars and planes. he never asked me my name but would always shout out strange nicknames like
"hey Sport"
"sweet mouth"
"handy cowboy"
and
"nice ass!!!"

he would lay out by the pool and rub jalapenos on his a**hole, screaming "spicy time for the rich!!!"

I was not asked back the following year due to an incident at x-mas involving Franco and an egg nog ladle...

Once he said nice ass I would of been out of there.

HelloNasty1

Post by HelloNasty1 » Sat May 22, 2010 3:55 pm

Flaming troll, enjoy your stay.
Better to regret something you have done, than something you haven't done...

demer03
Current Forecast: Vintage Doxa
Name: Mike

Post by demer03 » Sat May 22, 2010 4:05 pm

:raised: Merde...
Old Michigan steams like a young man's dreams
The islands and bays are for sportsmen

theoilrigger

Post by theoilrigger » Sat May 22, 2010 4:12 pm

River Rat wrote:
theoilrigger wrote:I have never flown in 1st class, but I recall when I was a teenager, I spent one summer as a pool boy in the Hamptons...

"hey Sport"
"sweet mouth"
"handy cowboy"
and
"nice ass!!!"

Once he said nice ass I would of been out of there.
he was actually a nice guy, but a heavy drinker...

he would always stand on the other end of the pool and shout at me. I never knew what he was saying, so I'd grab a towel and a glass of lemonade and hurry over. but he would just get disgusted and slap the drink out of my hand and scream, "NO NO!!!" I said "PUT YOUR PENIS IN ME!"

I always told him the same thing, "later, I'm too busy..."

gotta get to work, y'all have a good night! :thumbsup:

Geoffrey

Post by Geoffrey » Sat May 22, 2010 4:42 pm

I agree that it is indeed sad that one sees so many "blinged" out watches these days. I personally think its rather fun myself to be wearing a "sleeper" watch that is expertly made with an in house manufactured movement, whilst Hoi Ploy wear their
"mac daddy" watches and drink rotgut champagne because essentially they know no better. All this is fine as I do not
travel in their circle of friends,( but I do enjoy mingling with them upon occasion), just as they (the poor wretched refuse)
do not travel in my circle of associates. To Bling or not too bling...that is the question. Lastly try to be gracious and remember
not everyone will have your level (or lack) of taste and sophistication, nor your purse. People buy and wear what they enjoy and can
afford. Offending you may just be a nice bonus!
Cheers Conti (glad to see you haven't been put off by the rowdies 'round here, as they are a
mostly a delightful group of irregulars).
:cheers: :cheers: