Lost and Found

Come on in and introduce yourself!
General watch talk.
THE CONTINENTAL

Lost and Found

Post by THE CONTINENTAL » Sat May 29, 2010 6:06 pm

Happy Memorial Day weekend fellow enthusiasts. I wanted to pass on a story of happiness and good fortune. Last summer, I "lost" my favorite boating/sailing timepiece; my Patek Aquanaut. It's nothing spectacular insofar as Pateks are concerned, but nevertheless it holds some sentimental value to me. It was a gift from a lady friend. Needless to say I was more than a bit distraught when I made it home from a celebration following a regatta, sans Aquanaut. I was quite inebriated after downing several bottles of Port, and somehow passed out in the bungalow by the pool where I awoke the following [late] morning to discover my Aquanaut was gone. Now I know what you are thinking, but my family's servants have our utmost trust. So, after looking in all the usual places (back seat of "S" Class Benz, poolside bar, kitchen) I resigned myself to the fact that my Aquanaut was gone.

Fast forward to this summer. I was gathering up my boating gear, and low and behold what do you think I found in the pocket of my Gill Atlantic Foul Weather Jacket? Yes, you guessed it ... my Patek Aquanaut.

In any event, it was a happy ending. Now I have a question. What is the fascination with these horrendous looking nato straps? I cannot for the life of me discern why anyone would wear such an unbecoming strap, especially on nicer watches. I can see perhaps putting one on a boring Seiko, or any of the less than impressive but popular boutique brands such as Kobold, Doxa, and the like, in an attempt to make it look "military" or otherwise "mission specific". But, to dumb down a Rolex Submariner, IWC, or any classic vintage diver is just plain uncouth. I can just imagine coming in from an invigorating morning swim in the surf to an outdoor table at the Club for Mimosas and a nice brunch while wearing a sopping wet and smelly canvas strap, dripping seawater into ones's shrimp cocktail. I assure you it would be more than offensive.

Anyhow, I just wanted to share my joy at being reunited with my favorite boating timepiece. It's really a nice piece and very "under the radar" as they say. Here is a pic from last summer.

Cheers - Potter
...And the meek shall inherit the Earth. But until then, the rich are going to have a pretty good time.

SCM64
Global Mod/Sinn fanboy

Re: Lost and Found

Post by SCM64 » Sat May 29, 2010 6:10 pm

Glad you found your watch. I think. :think:
Steven

Sexually Desirable RockStar Moderator

moishlashen
Name: Leu Sanis

Post by moishlashen » Sat May 29, 2010 6:22 pm

I think that would look awe inspiring on a nato/zulu to be honest with you Conti. A nice Khaki nato would really set off the handset on that bad boy IMO.

"I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude."

mattcantwin
mattcreatestonsofwatchrelateddrama

Post by mattcantwin » Sat May 29, 2010 6:39 pm

THE CONTINENTAL wrote: What is the fascination with these horrendous looking nato straps?

I cannot for the life of me discern why anyone would wear such an unbecoming strap, especially on nicer watches.

I can see perhaps putting one on a boring Seiko, or any of the less than impressive but popular boutique brands such as Kobold, Doxa, and the like...

Maybe you should keep searching for the tact you have obviously lost, too. :tap:

Seth
Guy who shoots guns

Post by Seth » Sat May 29, 2010 7:21 pm

I'm calling bullshit on that one. NO ONE races with a Patek. I've raced on Stars and Stripes in San Diego with Dennis Connor. I've crewed with Larry Ellison on Sayonara and I've spent enough time in the water in San Francisco with some of the finest yachtsmen on the planet to know for SURE that no one wears a Patek racing.

To start with, its not useful. Calculating countdowns for starts is done on a digital. Sorry Champ. No exceptions. We need alarms. Timing the final to the line... also helpful to have a digital. Its more accurate and easier to know at a glance if you need a quick poke into doldrums to slow it down. But no one is trimming, grinding or doing foredeck with one on. Even the helmsman is far too active to beat down a delicate timepiece. Now the tactician.. maybe.. but most tacticians are in the thick of it, unless your in cup sized boats.

You MIGHT need a Patek in the afterguard WATCHING sailors race....

HalifaxNS
Wacky Canadian
Name: Jerel

Post by HalifaxNS » Sat May 29, 2010 7:27 pm

THE CONTINENTAL wrote: What is the fascination with these horrendous looking nato straps? I cannot for the life of me discern why anyone would wear such an unbecoming strap, especially on nicer watches. I can see perhaps putting one on a boring Seiko, or any of the less than impressive but popular boutique brands such as Kobold, Doxa, and the like, in an attempt to make it look "military" or otherwise "mission specific". But, to dumb down a Rolex Submariner, IWC, or any classic vintage diver is just plain uncouth. I can just imagine coming in from an invigorating morning swim in the surf to an outdoor table at the Club for Mimosas and a nice brunch while wearing a sopping wet and smelly canvas strap, dripping seawater into ones's shrimp cocktail. I assure you it would be more than offensive.
:clap: :clap: :clap:
Tudor Submariner, snowflake.
Omega Speedmaster, 3570.
Bathys Aquaculture, rose.

Noisy Nova
Name: Dave

Post by Noisy Nova » Sat May 29, 2010 7:41 pm

Nato?

Zulu?

:mrgreen:
Dave
Image Image

polaco23
Actually chooses to live in Detroit
Name: Dominik

Post by polaco23 » Sat May 29, 2010 8:23 pm

forget the Patek, you drive an S-class? :clap:

damn fine cars.......not even i can disagree with that.

But youre wrong on the nato thing, as if it matters. :geek:

randyswagon
Name: Heywood Jablome

Post by randyswagon » Sat May 29, 2010 8:38 pm

. . . I believe you should exclusively wear Hublot ( pronounced "you-blow" in my household) . . . :raised:

andrema
Bean Counter Extraordinaire
Name: William Drayton, Jr.

Post by andrema » Sat May 29, 2010 8:52 pm

You are such a douche...I tried to type something nice, but it made me throw-up a little in my mouth.

Why choose the S-Class...I see you as a Bentley guy, unless the S-Class is your beater? Just curious, why do you feel the need to throw name brands out? That is extremely tacky IMO.
Last edited by andrema on Sun May 30, 2010 10:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Geoffrey

Post by Geoffrey » Sat May 29, 2010 9:05 pm

Sorry not my favorite watch by far but
pleased for your sake you found it.
Hope all is well with Mater and Pater
Cheers ya mug
G

meta4ick
Name: Rick

Post by meta4ick » Sat May 29, 2010 9:16 pm

andrema wrote:You are such a douche...I tried to type something nice, but it made me throw-up a little in my mouth.

Now we're talkin.

Glad you had a happy ending. I think.

vbuskirk
Thread Jacker Extraordinaire
Name: Chris

Post by vbuskirk » Sat May 29, 2010 10:16 pm

I love happy endings. Good'o Potter. :thumbsup:

* Today is the 30th day of the month. Keep trying; you're making progress ...
Chris

River Rat
DWC Tribal Council

Post by River Rat » Sat May 29, 2010 11:18 pm

THE CONTINENTAL wrote:Happy Memorial Day weekend fellow enthusiasts. I wanted to pass on a story of happiness and good fortune. Last summer, I "lost" my favorite boating/sailing timepiece; my Patek Aquanaut. It's nothing spectacular insofar as Pateks are concerned, but nevertheless it holds some sentimental value to me. It was a gift from a lady friend. Needless to say I was more than a bit distraught when I made it home from a celebration following a regatta, sans Aquanaut. I was quite inebriated after downing several bottles of Port, and somehow passed out in the bungalow by the pool where I awoke the following [late] morning to discover my Aquanaut was gone. Now I know what you are thinking, but my family's servants have our utmost trust. So, after looking in all the usual places (back seat of "S" Class Benz, poolside bar, kitchen) I resigned myself to the fact that my Aquanaut was gone.

Fast forward to this summer. I was gathering up my boating gear, and low and behold what do you think I found in the pocket of my Gill Atlantic Foul Weather Jacket? Yes, you guessed it ... my Patek Aquanaut.

In any event, it was a happy ending. Now I have a question. What is the fascination with these horrendous looking nato straps? I cannot for the life of me discern why anyone would wear such an unbecoming strap, especially on nicer watches. I can see perhaps putting one on a boring Seiko, or any of the less than impressive but popular boutique brands such as Kobold, Doxa, and the like, in an attempt to make it look "military" or otherwise "mission specific". But, to dumb down a Rolex Submariner, IWC, or any classic vintage diver is just plain uncouth. I can just imagine coming in from an invigorating morning swim in the surf to an outdoor table at the Club for Mimosas and a nice brunch while wearing a sopping wet and smelly canvas strap, dripping seawater into ones's shrimp cocktail. I assure you it would be more than offensive.

Anyhow, I just wanted to share my joy at being reunited with my favorite boating timepiece. It's really a nice piece and very "under the radar" as they say. Here is a pic from last summer.

Cheers - Potter
Now when are you going to post a watch I like.That's is one ugly watch just not my style and I would hate to know what you paid for it.Now when you post a watch I like I will say a good thing.I just don't like the looks of the two watches you posted so far that I have seen unless I missed one.But I do like diver's if you have one in your collection post your best one nothing to flashy.

cali kid
Unabomber impersonator
Name: Trevor

Post by cali kid » Sat May 29, 2010 11:29 pm

and to think you most likely blamed that poor hooker all year long! :fro: Watch has it's place but not on a sailboat :bs: and if it didnt have Patek on the dial i would think croton! :shrug:
Image Image Image
Trevor

Tragic

Post by Tragic » Sun May 30, 2010 12:25 am

Potter you're an excellent dude in my opinion.
LOVE the Patek sir!
Glad you recovered it.
Apologies for some of our less cultured members.

matt.wu
Wu
Name: m@

Post by matt.wu » Sun May 30, 2010 12:25 am

I love having family servants.
:htfu:

poppydog
aka Nelldog
Name: Steve

Post by poppydog » Sun May 30, 2010 2:03 am

Good morning Potter

I have a question for you: (which is already redundant since it appears you post a thread then never read respondents' comments) why do you never answer or reply to a post? Could it be that your personna is actually the third-person consciousness of every member of WUS and we are all unwittingly taking part in a dialogue that is being transposed through your pseudo-character in a desperate attempt to undermine the success of DWC? Just wondering.
Regards

Steve

smalls
Name: Matt

Post by smalls » Sun May 30, 2010 6:51 am

poppydog wrote:Good morning Potter

I have a question for you: (which is already redundant since it appears you post a thread then never read respondents' comments) why do you never answer or reply to a post? Could it be that your personna is actually the third-person consciousness of every member of WUS and we are all unwittingly taking part in a dialogue that is being transposed through your pseudo-character in a desperate attempt to undermine the success of DWC? Just wondering.
He doesn't reply because it's beneath him...literally...get it? :lol:

ezcheese
Cheese Connoisseur
Name: Derek

Post by ezcheese » Sun May 30, 2010 8:32 am

smalls wrote:
poppydog wrote:Good morning Potter

He doesn't reply because it's beneath him...literally...get it? :lol:
:lol:
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

hazmatman
DWC Tribal Council
Name: Der Brummbär

Post by hazmatman » Sun May 30, 2010 9:06 am

Connie I think you would find affinity with NATO & ZULU straps.

They are not unlike the ones you had your schoolmaster tie you down with.

They might just bring back some extremely pleasant and twisted memories for you.

I am quite sure the loutish behaviour of teenagers today could have been tamed by application of some old-fashioned corporal punishment. Actually, I suspect you have already tried to "discipline" some of the neighborhood children.

YOU NAUGHTY MONKEY!

snootydog
Jagermaster
Name: Andy

Post by snootydog » Sun May 30, 2010 10:02 am

Noooooooo,would you believe it.....in the pocket of your Gill Atlantic Foul Weather Jacket? You crazy chappie. How on earth did it get into the pocket of your Gill Atlantic Foul Weather Jacket? I lost a watch in the actual sea once,yes the actual English Channel. If only i had a Gill Atlantic Foul Weather Jacket,thats where i would have put it. Do you think my Helly Hansen foul weather weather jacket is as good as your Gill Atlantic Foul Weather Jacket? It has many pockets to lose things in,but ive never put my watch in my jacket pocket....i guess its the last place i would look.
Andy :uj:

DMB
Global Moderator
Name: Magnificent Bastard
Location: On the high ground with interlocking fields of fire

Post by DMB » Sun May 30, 2010 10:36 am

snootydog wrote:Noooooooo,would you believe it.....in the pocket of your Gill Atlantic Foul Weather Jacket? You crazy chappie. How on earth did it get into the pocket of your Gill Atlantic Foul Weather Jacket? I lost a watch in the actual sea once,yes the actual English Channel. If only i had a Gill Atlantic Foul Weather Jacket,thats where i would have put it. Do you think my Helly Hansen foul weather weather jacket is as good as your Gill Atlantic Foul Weather Jacket? It has many pockets to lose things in,but ive never put my watch in my jacket pocket....i guess its the last place i would look.

Laughing my ass off .... :roll:

el presidente
Name: Roar

Post by el presidente » Sun May 30, 2010 10:40 am

WTF is this guy doing here :shrug: :bs:
Pikachu is a virgin!

vbuskirk
Thread Jacker Extraordinaire
Name: Chris

Post by vbuskirk » Sun May 30, 2010 11:38 am

:raised: Pay attention Roar. He is channeling some consciousness(es).
Chris