Independence Day Watches

Come on in and introduce yourself!
General watch talk.
THE CONTINENTAL

Independence Day Watches

Post by THE CONTINENTAL » Sat Jul 03, 2010 1:05 pm

After being bombarded by ugly watches for the past two days, I'm thinking perhaps it is time for another "revolution". I just flew home to my family's estate in the Hamptons for the 4th of July weekend and thought I would share my "travel experience" as related to watches. For the love of God, is there no common man left who appreciates fine timepieces? Since when did the size of a watch equate to the quality of a watch?

I've been in Bombay for the past week, vacationing with a few chums from my alma mater. Accompanying me was one of my favorite traveling trios .... Rolex Submariner, JLC Master Geographic, GO Senator. Likewise, my associates had an impressive array of timepieces as well. Nate spent most of the time wearing his latest acquisition, a rose gold Blancpain Fifty Fathoms Flyback Chronograph, while Sloane alternated between a Breguet Marine Big Date and his 18kt white gold IWC Portuguese. The 3 of us have been avid collectors for the past 20 years, starting in our teens.

BACK ON TOPIC:

Traveling alone, I took to "watchspotting" as I call it and suffice it to say was very disappointed this trip. When I arrived in New York, the airport was bustling with overweight travelers and their fat families. Glancing around at plump, sweaty wrists I initially thought that Invicta was giving away scores of their blinged out, obnoxious, Chinese watches. Wave after wave of gold plate, orange rubber, and other hideous combinations packed in 50mm cases swept over me. I headed to the bar while I waited for my connecting hop. At the bar was a group of what appeared to be golfers, by the looks of their hideous attire. Warily, I glanced down at their wrists. TAG Heuer in effect. Jesus Christ I hate TAG Heuer watches. Can you scream " I am a middle manager" any louder? To my absolute joy I realized that the one sitting closest to me was also engaged in a conversation on his Blue Tooth earpiece. Turning to my right there was a middle age man wearing what was probably the finest blazer that The Men's Warehouse sold. Unfortunately, the sleeves were too short revealing the standard $100 Seiko automatic dive watch on ... you guessed it ... RUBBER. I'm sorry that I cannot elaborate on the model as Seiko appeals to me about as much as a fake diamond slathered Kenneth Cole. In other words, NOT AT ALL.

I began to accept the fact that I was trapped in a bar filled with tastless watches and boring personalities, when one of the simpletons next to me tapped me on the hand and inquired about my JLC. The gutteral sounds emanating from his face hole sounded somthing like, "That's a pretty neat looking watch, where'd you get it? Imagine my delight to hear that my 10K JLC Master Compressor Geographic was ... "NEAT". I mumbled something about purchasing it overseas, whereas he thrust his hobbit-like hand in front of my face and proudly proclaimed, "I just bought this baby with my sales bonus. "It's a TAG".

"Why yes it is", I replied. "It's PERFECT on you". [thinking ... a perfect douchebag watch for a perfect douchebag]. I quickly paid my tab, and headed for my connecting hop.

This was the single most disappointing travel experience that I have ever had in terms of watchspotting. I guess we are truly becoming a cell phone culture when it comes to the function of telling time, and watches are more jewelry now than functional tools.

I was pretty well drunk on gin and tonics by the time I arrived at my destination. As my family's long time driver reached down to pick up my bags I saw the all too familiar date magnifier of a Rolex. Good old Henry, he always had class.

Have a splendid Fourth of July. Cheers - Potter
...And the meek shall inherit the Earth. But until then, the rich are going to have a pretty good time.

demer03
Current Forecast: Vintage Doxa
Name: Mike

Re: Independence Day Watches

Post by demer03 » Sat Jul 03, 2010 1:10 pm

Who was it who said they were missing him??? :smack: :smack: :smack:
Old Michigan steams like a young man's dreams
The islands and bays are for sportsmen

T.R.
TRTV!
Name: Tommy Tutone

Post by T.R. » Sat Jul 03, 2010 1:28 pm

...and here I was thinking the James Bond marathon was cool.
:shock:
Last edited by T.R. on Sat Jul 03, 2010 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
unixshrk wrote: I'll put it on a nice NATO for you. :shifty:

DMB
Global Moderator
Name: Magnificent Bastard
Location: On the high ground with interlocking fields of fire

Post by DMB » Sat Jul 03, 2010 2:04 pm

Damn Potter, your chauffeur has a Rolex? You guys must pay well. You need a pool boy or bartender? I'm available. I like Turnographs. :love:

porschefan

Post by porschefan » Sat Jul 03, 2010 2:17 pm

"Pooter" (intentional misspelling) must be suffering from a gin and tonic hangover. He has an uncustomary number of punctuation errors in this post. Surely a man of his higher education and breeding would know better than to make such public errors.
Tim
A firm believer in - and enjoying a personal relationship with my wife
Life's too long for crappy food, beer, wine & watches.
"I cook with wine, sometimes I even add it to the food."--W.C. Fields

R@cerx
Name: David

Post by R@cerx » Sat Jul 03, 2010 2:43 pm

A trend I'm noticing in his posts is a lack of references to the fairer sex... :shrug:

matt.wu
Wu
Name: m@

Post by matt.wu » Sat Jul 03, 2010 3:00 pm

Tell me, Potter. What do you think of the Seiko MM300? :twisted:
:htfu:

moishlashen
Name: Leu Sanis

Post by moishlashen » Sat Jul 03, 2010 3:11 pm

matt.wu wrote:Tell me, Potter. What do you think of the Seiko MM300? :twisted:

:smack:

"I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude."

Seth
Guy who shoots guns

Post by Seth » Sat Jul 03, 2010 3:30 pm

Once again, I'm calling BULLSHIT.

A man of your proclaimed class wouldn't be flying commercial.... What's the matter the G550 go down?

You, sir, are no sailor and miss key details. Having flown Gulfstream V's in the past, I can assure you, you wouldn't be drinking at the bar, either.

snoballz
Baller

Post by snoballz » Sat Jul 03, 2010 4:23 pm

Hey Potter, you are cordially invited to a small GTG in Manhattan on Wednesday, 08/04. Hopefully, you're able to attend. It would be a pleasure to meet you.

Regards,

-luke

paipanic
Founder and Owner of Halios Watches

Post by paipanic » Sat Jul 03, 2010 4:34 pm

I still say this is DMB. Sitting there with his wolf shirt, having a good laugh at the hoi polloi.
I don't see your name on the list.

demer03
Current Forecast: Vintage Doxa
Name: Mike

Post by demer03 » Sat Jul 03, 2010 4:34 pm

snoballz wrote:Hey Potter, you are cordially invited to a small GTG in Manhattan on Wednesday, 08/04. Hopefully, you're able to attend. It would be a pleasure to meet you.

Regards,
In the alley...in the dark???
Old Michigan steams like a young man's dreams
The islands and bays are for sportsmen

DMB
Global Moderator

Post by DMB » Sat Jul 03, 2010 4:44 pm

Sorry to disappoint guys, but I ain't the continental. He's pretty funny though.

hazmatman
DWC Tribal Council
Name: Der Brummbär

Post by hazmatman » Sat Jul 03, 2010 9:35 pm

THE CONTINENTAL wrote:"It's a TAG".

"Why yes it is", I replied. "It's PERFECT on you". [thinking ... a perfect douchebag watch for a perfect douchebag].
Connie my friend, those who have known me for awhile remember that not long ago I too once gazed down my snout at TAGs and answered with the retort, "Never!"

So...douchebag you say :think: Well, Guilty as charged, my silver spoon fed trust fund dependent friend.

Oh and here is an older, even more pedestrian TAG along with a Seiko...usually found only on sweaty fat corn-fed blue-collar American wrists.

BTW, Bombay...please! Maybe before the '97 Asian financial crisis...That is so last decade. What were you doing in Bombay??? Returning a mail-order wife? Shameful!

If you're going to have your pearly white boarding school bottom disciplined with cane reeds, the place to be is Burma. You should catch up on your NAMBLA emails, then you'd know where to vacation.

vbuskirk
Thread Jacker Extraordinaire
Name: Chris

Post by vbuskirk » Sat Jul 03, 2010 10:11 pm

DMB wrote:Sorry to disappoint guys, but I ain't the continental. He's pretty funny though.
If you say so. Must be Derek or Sean then. You guys should tell us what state the IP address comes from. :tap:
Chris

john wilson
Name: supercalifragilistic

Post by john wilson » Sat Jul 03, 2010 10:22 pm

Girls drink gin and tonic. Stick that JLC up your butt.

Last edited by john wilson on Sat Jul 03, 2010 10:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Remove booger hook from bang button until ready to make holes." Albert Einstein

ImageImage

matt.wu
Wu
Name: m@

Post by matt.wu » Sat Jul 03, 2010 10:23 pm

My bet's still on Chris, Nash Chris. With a last name like vanBusKirk, it's in his blood. :whistle:
:htfu:

BSears
The Grumpy Global Mod
Name: Mr. Dibs
Location: Big Blue Nation, Land of the Free-Home of the Brave

Post by BSears » Sat Jul 03, 2010 11:02 pm

hazmatman wrote:

"Why yes it is", I replied. "It's PERFECT on you". [thinking ... a perfect douchebag watch for a perfect douchebag].
Connie my friend, those who have known me for awhile remember that not long ago I too once gazed down my snout at TAGs and answered with the retort, "Never!"

So...douchebag you say :think: Well, Guilty as charged, my silver spoon fed trust fund dependent friend.

Oh and here is an older, even more pedestrian TAG along with a Seiko...usually found only on sweaty fat corn-fed blue-collar American wrists.

BTW, Bombay...please! Maybe before the '97 Asian financial crisis...That is so last decade. What were you doing in Bombay??? Returning a mail-order wife? Shameful!

If you're going to have your pearly white boarding school bottom disciplined with cane reeds, the place to be is Burma. You should catch up on your NAMBLA emails, then you'd know where to vacation.

You give respect, you'll get respect - you just don't know your place.

toxicavenger
President Tranny
Name: HeadDIK

Post by toxicavenger » Sun Jul 04, 2010 12:08 am

This is what I have to say to The COCKtinental! :neener:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

snootydog
Jagermaster
Name: Andy

Post by snootydog » Sun Jul 04, 2010 1:52 am

demer03 wrote:Who was it who said they were missing him??? :smack: :smack: :smack:
Um.......Er......Hmmmm.....well,it may have been.....Errrrrr..... :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: Image Happy Independence day.... :uj: :excited:
Andy :uj:

Diaboliq
Strap Maker Extraordinaire
Name: Joe

Post by Diaboliq » Sun Jul 04, 2010 4:42 am

Tell what you want but I like reading his posts. Makes me feel great I was raised as I was..

Still imagining how he looks like.. PAtrick Bateman for sure

Click:

DMB
Global Moderator

Post by DMB » Sun Jul 04, 2010 6:21 am

hazmatman wrote:

hahaha ..... :cheers:

justsellbrgs
Name: John

Post by justsellbrgs » Sun Jul 04, 2010 6:47 am

john wilson wrote:Girls drink gin and tonic. Stick that JLC up your butt.

.....and there it is..... +1 with JW from Cleveland.
"Go forth, my progeny, grab the world by the balls, squeeze hard and shake vigorously." J. Koch (aka "Swedefreak")

Tragic

Post by Tragic » Mon Jul 05, 2010 11:59 am

Come on John, I LIKE gin n' tonics! :lol:
I hope Potter accepts the NYC invite.
Heck he'd pick up all the tabs no doubt?
I agree his grammar is a bit suspect at times but we've all seen how freaking DOCTORS write, so that's not a dead giveaway.
I'd like to see some wristshots though.
Maybe ol' Henry could snap us a few at least?

BSears
The Grumpy Global Mod
Name: Mr. Dibs
Location: Big Blue Nation, Land of the Free-Home of the Brave

Post by BSears » Mon Jul 05, 2010 12:06 pm

Tragic wrote:Come on John, I LIKE gin n' tonics! :lol:
I hope Potter accepts the NYC invite.
Heck he'd pick up all the tabs no doubt?
I agree his grammar is a bit suspect at times but we've all seen how freaking DOCTORS write, so that's not a dead giveaway.
I'd like to see some wristshots though.
Maybe ol' Henry could snap us a few at least?

+1 :tap:
You give respect, you'll get respect - you just don't know your place.