I don't get it (shinola)

Come on in and introduce yourself!
General watch talk.
dinexus
Name: Zach

I don't get it (shinola)

Post by dinexus » Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:33 am

Look, I get all the Shinola hate, I really do. Amidst a litany of other reasons, they tried to pull a fast one on the community ("built in detroit" ≠ actually made in the USA), and got rightfully and justifiably called on it. Plus, everything they offer is priced well beyond what most folks 'in the know' might consider to be fair, but that's more against what the community has deemed to be within reason for value – which, is arguably subjective.

However, that said, I don't understand how guys in this community can, with one hand, shit on the new Shinola design for being derivative, then with the other hand, jerk off on the latest flavor-of-the-week "micro" that's essentially offering a 1-to-1 "homage" of another diver – more often than not, another diver that's still in production by some major Swiss brand. High horse much?

Oh, and it's probably worth mentioning that I don't have any skin in the game, and no plans to buy this diver. It's too damned expensive, obviously. But still. Writing this post because arguing with idiots on the internet gives me gray hair – no sense in speeding up that process, that's what marriage is for.

rain_maker
Name: Fred

Re: I don't get it (shinola)

Post by rain_maker » Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:46 am

dinexus wrote:Writing this post because arguing with idiots on the internet gives me gray hair – no sense in speeding up that process, that's what marriage is for.
Funny, this post seems like it’s intended to start an internet argument ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

rain_maker
Name: Fred

Post by rain_maker » Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:47 am

dinexus wrote:Writing this post because arguing with idiots on the internet gives me gray hair – no sense in speeding up that process, that's what marriage is for.
Funny, this post seems like it’s intended to start an internet argument ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

dinexus

Post by dinexus » Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:48 am

rain_maker wrote:
Haha that’s true. Maybe just needed to vent? Oh, by the way - nobody argue with me plz 🤣

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

justsellbrgs
Name: John

Post by justsellbrgs » Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:10 am

Is the monster depicted on the caseback the actual Lake Erie Monster..????. I hope it's not the case, I let my dog swim in Lake Erie and I'd hate to have her wrestle that, drag it in, and drop it at my feet....
"Go forth, my progeny, grab the world by the balls, squeeze hard and shake vigorously." J. Koch (aka "Swedefreak")

gwells
Name: Greg

Post by gwells » Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:14 am

it's one thing to not shit on something that's a derivative micro at $700. but you may remember that 1-2 other micros have come out with something that wasn't worse than this that were shit all over because they were overpriced. and those didn't have completely unproven movements in them.

if shinola put this out at $1000, i think a lot less people would shit on it. but $2250? :monkeypiss:

streetracer101
Name: Mr Shackleford

Post by streetracer101 » Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:16 am

dinexus wrote:Look, I get all the Shinola hate, I really do. Amidst a litany of other reasons, they tried to pull a fast one on the community ("built in detroit" ≠ actually made in the USA), and got rightfully and justifiably called on it. Plus, everything they offer is priced well beyond what most folks 'in the know' might consider to be fair, but that's more against what the community has deemed to be within reason for value – which, is arguably subjective.

However, that said, I don't understand how guys in this community can, with one hand, shit on the new Shinola design for being derivative, then with the other hand, jerk off on the latest flavor-of-the-week "micro" that's essentially offering a 1-to-1 "homage" of another diver – more often than not, another diver that's still in production by some major Swiss brand. High horse much?

Oh, and it's probably worth mentioning that I don't have any skin in the game, and no plans to buy this diver. It's too damned expensive, obviously. But still. Writing this post because arguing with idiots on the internet gives me gray hair – no sense in speeding up that process, that's what marriage is for.
I think it is a reasonable looking first diver for them and if it was under $1k, it'd be a nice contender.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

HapaHapa
Name: Eric

Post by HapaHapa » Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:34 am

I'd like to see one of the established micro brand guys do an LE that's made as much in-country (Made in USA, UK, Ireland, etc) as possible. Maybe machine the cases and assemble in-country, and source movement, dial and hands from best source wherever that may be (with preference for local sources). I'm sure our guys could show Shinola how it's done, and i'd really like to know what the cost would be from someone whose not going to overprice.
The Hapa

jimyritz
Masshole
Name: Mike

Post by jimyritz » Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:35 am

streetracer101 wrote:
Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:16 am
dinexus wrote:Look, I get all the Shinola hate, I really do. Amidst a litany of other reasons, they tried to pull a fast one on the community ("built in detroit" ≠ actually made in the USA), and got rightfully and justifiably called on it. Plus, everything they offer is priced well beyond what most folks 'in the know' might consider to be fair, but that's more against what the community has deemed to be within reason for value – which, is arguably subjective.

I think it is a reasonable looking first diver for them and if it was under $1k, it'd be a nice contender.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
-------------------------
I'd agree, if it wasn't $2250.-- not a bad first offering---Overall, I think guys here share their opinions both positive and negative regardless of the brand.

matt.wu
Wu
Name: m@

Post by matt.wu » Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:41 am

You guys know what side of this fence I'm on...
:htfu:

dinexus

Post by dinexus » Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:44 am

HapaHapa wrote:
Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:34 am
I'd like to see one of the established micro brand guys do an LE that's made as much in-country (Made in USA, UK, Ireland, etc) as possible. Maybe machine the cases and assemble in-country, and source movement, dial and hands from best source wherever that may be (with preference for local sources). I'm sure our guys could show Shinola how it's done, and i'd really like to know what the cost would be from someone whose not going to overprice.
+1. This needs to happen. Feel like Cameron Weiss was getting close, but haven't heard much from his camp in a hot minute.

dinexus

Post by dinexus » Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:48 am

jimyritz wrote:
Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:35 am
I'd agree, if it wasn't $2250.-- not a bad first offering---Overall, I think guys here share their opinions both positive and negative regardless of the brand.
I feel like they had a real opportunity to either take a seat at the table as a contender or stir the pot, and they chose the latter with that price. Hell, even $1800 would still place it upmarket of their quartz offerings without rocking the boat too much.

demer03
Current Forecast: Vintage Doxa
Name: Mike

Post by demer03 » Wed Nov 08, 2017 3:51 pm

I like what they are doing for Detroit. I’m not a buyer, but I know I’m a watch nerd and not their demographic.
Old Michigan steams like a young man's dreams
The islands and bays are for sportsmen

zepp21
Name: Alex

Post by zepp21 » Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:17 pm

matt.wu wrote:You guys know what side of this fence I'm on...
The same side as Ben??? :excited:

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

matt.wu
Wu
Name: m@

Post by matt.wu » Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:43 pm

zepp21 wrote:

:shifty:
:htfu:

Heuerville
Name: Stewart

Post by Heuerville » Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:19 pm

I never got the 'Shinola' naming.. if you didn't know, it sounds almost Japanese... the new Nissan Shinola 4x4.. Mitsubishi Shinola GTX etc.
Why not "Detroit Watch Co." (No pun on DWC intended)
I know that's a weird thing to bring up, but it always bothered me, why Shinola?

I'm guessing someone will tell me the answer, like it's some famous Detroitian (?) historic figure, and I'll look like a knob!
Stewart - Heuerville & Heuerville Straps
http://heuerville.wordpress.com/heuerville-straps/
"SOB get me a drink"

tattoo chef
<Will Skull for Food>
Name: Don

I don't get it (shinola)

Post by tattoo chef » Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:45 pm

Heuerville wrote:I never got the 'Shinola' naming.. if you didn't know, it sounds almost Japanese... the new Nissan Shinola 4x4.. Mitsubishi Shinola GTX etc.
I know that's a weird thing to bring up, but it always bothered me, why Shinola?

I'm guessing someone will tell me the answer, like it's some famous Detroitian (?) historic figure, and I'll look like a knob!
It was available. Even though the Shinola shoe polish company went under in the 60’s, the Shinola name has always been popular in the states, good or bad. It seems to have worked for them. While many of us are not buyers, we are a small percentage (watch enthusiasts) and not necessary the demographic.

And there is a Detroit Watch Company, much smaller company though.

https://detroitwatchco.com

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JP Chestnut
Name: Jacob

Post by JP Chestnut » Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:08 pm

Heuerville wrote:
Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:19 pm
why Shinola?
Because associating your new brand with "shit" is a proven winner of a strategy? Seems clear to me. The real question is, "why didn't Bremont take the name first"?

BBK357
Ban Jacobs
Name: Vladimir

I don't get it (shinola)

Post by BBK357 » Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:39 am

zepp21 wrote:

I’ve been over here waiting on him....
DEATH FROM ABOVE
:ak:

KidKeith
Name: KidKeith

Post by KidKeith » Fri Nov 10, 2017 3:49 am

Heuerville wrote:
I never got the 'Shinola' naming.. if you didn't know, it sounds almost Japanese... the new Nissan Shinola 4x4.. Mitsubishi Shinola GTX etc.

Brand recognition good or bad is very hard to generate. The brand name Shinola had always been used as a pejorative in the house I grew up in, but again I had heard the brand name hundreds of times before... That's very hard to gain with a new brand name. It was a gamble to take that name, but it had plenty of intangible value just because people (at least in Michigan) knew it and recognized it.

I think Shinola also capitalized on the Detroit rebuild. Like Pittsburgh and other "rust belt" cities that imploded and had to rebuild, the people of Michigan are very proud of their blue collar roots. To see a long lost brand ( that formerly was a blue collar product) from the state have a comeback was something the people needed at the time. All of this played into the revitalization of the brand.

Heuerville
Name: Stewart

Post by Heuerville » Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:06 am

KidKeith wrote:
Fri Nov 10, 2017 3:49 am
Heuerville wrote:

Brand recognition good or bad is very hard to generate. The brand name Shinola had always been used as a pejorative in the house I grew up in, but again I had heard the brand name hundreds of times before... That's very hard to gain with a new brand name. It was a gamble to take that name, but it had plenty of intangible value just because people (at least in Michigan) knew it and recognized it.

I think Shinola also capitalized on the Detroit rebuild. Like Pittsburgh and other "rust belt" cities that imploded and had to rebuild, the people of Michigan are very proud of their blue collar roots. To see a long lost brand ( that formerly was a blue collar product) from the state have a comeback was something the people needed at the time. All of this played into the revitalization of the brand.
Ah, I see - thanks for that Keith, I had no idea! :thumbsup:
Stewart - Heuerville & Heuerville Straps
http://heuerville.wordpress.com/heuerville-straps/
"SOB get me a drink"

gr8sw
Name: Pedro

Post by gr8sw » Fri Nov 10, 2017 3:41 pm

I always hear the 'don't know shit from Shinola' reference when I see these... immediate turn-off :raised:
‘I don’t worry about a thing, 'cause I know nothing’s gonna be alright’ Mose Allison

JP Chestnut
Name: Jacob

Post by JP Chestnut » Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:16 pm

gr8sw wrote:
Fri Nov 10, 2017 3:41 pm
I always hear the 'don't know shit from Shinola' reference when I see these... immediate turn-off :raised:
To be fair, it is pretty tough to tell this

from this

So it's a lot more truthful than the "made in the USA" stuff.

BBK357
Ban Jacobs
Name: Vladimir

Post by BBK357 » Sat Nov 11, 2017 12:09 am

DEATH FROM ABOVE
:ak:

toxicavenger
President Tranny
Name: HeadDIK

Post by toxicavenger » Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:09 am

I have to say they do make some nice Filson watches though.