Disabling Tapatalk

Come on in and introduce yourself!
General watch talk.
matt.wu
Wu
Name: m@

Disabling Tapatalk

Post by matt.wu » Thu Feb 28, 2019 9:32 pm

No need to beat around the bush. Tapatalk sucks. So we're going to disable it for the weekend.

For all the great potential that Tapatalk brings to the forum, it also brings along a lot of headache in the slow posting that persists even after the double post issue was fixed. I know that this will be inconvenient for many who use Tapatalk regularly (including myself), but I'd like to give it a try.

The primary nuisance will come in the form of posting pictures, but with a little practice, I'm sure we'll figure it out. :) I'll spin up a "recommendations" thread so those who don't use Tapatalk can share their secrets.

We're intending for this to run for the weekend at least. We may choose to make it indefinite depending on the results.

I know; change is hard. But try to make it work and let's see if the benefits outweigh the losses.

:htfu:

hoppyjr
HJ
Name: Hoppy

Re: Disabling Tapatalk

Post by hoppyjr » Thu Feb 28, 2019 9:45 pm

Where’s my frown emoji?

Oh well, I could use less distraction.

Erratic101
Name: Justyn

Post by Erratic101 » Thu Feb 28, 2019 9:49 pm

Crushed!! Can I just post like 100 pics now for everything that I may post in the foreseeable future?

logan2z
IT Admin
Name: Andrew

Post by logan2z » Thu Feb 28, 2019 9:50 pm

hoppyjr wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 9:45 pm
Where’s my frown emoji?

Oh well, I could use less distraction.
The forum's mobile theme is actually quite good and easy to use. It also gives you access to all of the forum's features, not just the ones the Tapatalk developers felt like exposing. Try it, you might like it.

JDC222
Demander of Intro Threads
Name: Dave

Post by JDC222 » Thu Feb 28, 2019 9:55 pm

I've never had any significant issues using Tapatalk but respect your decision. It's probably a good thing, as I won't access the site when I am on the move, nearly as much.
Whisky has killed more men than bullets, but most men would rather be full of whisky than bullets.
Winston Churchill.

matt.wu
Wu

Post by matt.wu » Thu Feb 28, 2019 9:58 pm

I expect there to be a learning curve in accessing the forum through your mobile browser, but if the benefit is going to be posting times reflective of a 2019 internet connection, I think it's a worthwhile trade-off.

Like I said, change is hard. But give it an honest try, and I think you'll be surprised how even you old guys can adjust to a new norm.

Nellipj
Name: Patrick

Post by Nellipj » Thu Feb 28, 2019 10:00 pm

While I’m sure we will all adapt, the convenience of Tapatalk far outweighs the problems for me. I would much prefer it stay an option.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mellonb1
Name: Brian

Post by mellonb1 » Thu Feb 28, 2019 10:06 pm

Never had an issue using Tapatalk and have been quite pleased since I started using it over the past 2-3 years. Would be bummed should it no longer be an option. Tried Imgur and didn't care for it at all.

tattoo chef
<Will Skull for Food>
Name: Don

Post by tattoo chef » Thu Feb 28, 2019 10:12 pm

Sorry, but if you take tapatalk away for this forum, I will probably not read or post here at all going forward. That’s not being vindictive or anything, but I’ve been using Tapatalk for years, I rarely have issues with it and use it for multiple forums. Being able to tap one button and be on the forum or easy switching to others is something I’m very accustomed to. I hate using the mobile browser, and uploading pics through it using another photo site or attachment is a pain, and easy as pie on tapatalk.
I really wish you reconsider.

matt.wu
Wu

Post by matt.wu » Thu Feb 28, 2019 10:19 pm

Don't mean to be harsh, but if taking away Tapatalk means you wouldn't want to engage here anymore, I really don't know what to say.

:shrug:

matt.wu
Wu

Post by matt.wu » Thu Feb 28, 2019 10:21 pm

And this is coming from a person who posts on here 95% of the time from Tapatalk (which is also why I'm frustrated with the experience). FWIW, it also makes moderating the forum very easy. The mod controls built in are great.

Nellipj

Post by Nellipj » Thu Feb 28, 2019 10:29 pm

I’ve gotten to the point that when I post here with Tapatalk I just back out of my post after a few seconds and come back in with the post loaded. I understand the frustration loading posts through Tapatalk sometimes. For me the convenience of browsing the forum with Tapatalk is just easier. I have just as much delay when I post through my browser on my computer, I just don’t get the double posts.

nweash
Name: Nick

Post by nweash » Thu Feb 28, 2019 10:34 pm

matt.wu
Wu

Post by matt.wu » Thu Feb 28, 2019 10:49 pm

Nellipj wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 10:29 pm
I’ve gotten to the point that when I post here with Tapatalk I just back out of my post after a few seconds and come back in with the post loaded. I understand the frustration loading posts through Tapatalk sometimes. For me the convenience of browsing the forum with Tapatalk is just easier. I have just as much delay when I post through my browser on my computer, I just don’t get the double posts.

We actually think that the delay even on the desktop comes from Tapatalk being installed on the forum. So it impacts desktop, mobile browser, AND Tapatalk usability.

logan2z
IT Admin

Post by logan2z » Thu Feb 28, 2019 10:53 pm

Nellipj wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 10:29 pm
I have just as much delay when I post through my browser on my computer
Right, I tried to explain this once several months ago when the topic of killing Tapatalk first came up but let me try again:

There are three pieces of software involved here.:

1) The forum software.
2) The Tapatalk plugin that integrates deeply with the forum software.
3) The Tapatalk mobile app.

The Tapatalk plugin is the interface between the Tapatalk mobile app and the forum software - when you use the mobile app to read/post to the forum, you are actually interacting with the Tapatalk plugin rather than directly with the forum software. The Tapatalk plugin then uses services from the forum software to retrieve a post for you to read, create a new post etc. The Tapatalk plugin also implements things like push notifications so that the Tapatalk mobile app is notified when another user quotes your post, someone posts to a topic to which you've subscribed etc. The Tapatalk plugin is woven very deeply into the core of the forum software in order to provide these features. And that is where I believe the problem likely lies - not with the mobile app but with the plugin software. So since the plugin software is essentially part of the core forum software, it can have negative affects on all users of the forum, whether those users access the forum from the mobile app or a web browser.

As Matt has suggested, I think it's worth experimenting with disabling the plugin over the weekend in order to test out this theory. If the performance issues with the forum persist with the plugin disabled then we will have eliminated the plugin as the culprit and can look elsewhere for the source.

gwells
Name: Greg

Post by gwells » Thu Feb 28, 2019 11:02 pm

i understand the reasoning behind doing what you're doing.

i will say this, though. i've used four forums with TT and this is the only one i have seen these problems with. so my question is this. what other plugins/extensions are you using on the forum? is it possible that there are issues with TT interacting with a different plugin?

logan2z
IT Admin

Post by logan2z » Thu Feb 28, 2019 11:22 pm

gwells wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 11:02 pm

i will say this, though. i've used four forums with TT and this is the only one i have seen these problems with. so my question is this. what other plugins/extensions are you using on the forum? is it possible that there are issues with TT interacting with a different plugin?
This question came up the last time this was discussed as well.

DWC uses very few plugins/extensions. Tapatalk is the only significant one. Keep in mind, though that there are several popular forum packages out there (vBulletin, phpBB etc) and not every forum runs the same one or the same version. For example, WUS runs vBulletin and DWC runs phpBB. The Tapatalk plugin can have different impacts on different versions of the same forum software too. So the fact that you use Tapatalk on other forums and those forums don't exhibit performance issues doesn't eliminate the Tapatalk plugin as the source of the issue at DWC.

Nellipj

Post by Nellipj » Thu Feb 28, 2019 11:22 pm

gwells wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 11:02 pm

X2. Trying to get to the root of the problem is a great idea. I understand and hope the problem is found.

Joeprez
Wants to see pics of your wife
Name: Joe

Disabling Tapatalk

Post by Joeprez » Fri Mar 01, 2019 2:50 am

Nellipj wrote:I’ve gotten to the point that when I post here with Tapatalk I just back out of my post after a few seconds and come back in with the post loaded. I understand the frustration loading posts through Tapatalk sometimes. For me the convenience of browsing the forum with Tapatalk is just easier. I have just as much delay when I post through my browser on my computer, I just don’t get the double posts.

+1

Tapatalk is super convenient for posting pictures. I actually don't know how to post pictures from my iPhone without it. For the record, I've never had any big issues from Tapatalk. Is trying another forum software that do works with Tapatalk an option?

Oh, and I only keep pictures with fine asses on my iPhone, so the HBD threads will definitely be affected by this :lol:

Omega / Tudor / Rolex / Sinn / Doxa / Seiko

BBK357
Ban Jacobs
Name: Vladimir

Post by BBK357 » Fri Mar 01, 2019 2:54 am

I use Blade Forums mobile browser as it does not support tapatalk. I think it’s great- BUT- I cannot post pics on it. I have an IMGUR account and posting pics there never works for me. Like I said- I think it’s a wonderful mobile site and easy to tag members and use features but it is frustrating for me because even my sales post I have to leave a IMGUR link for people to click on.
I don’t get the issue with tapatalk here because it works perfect on USN and Seiko/Citizen. There def is a problem with this site and tapatalk as they don’t work the best together. But like above- I just back out of my post after a few sec and come back and it’s there anyway.
DEATH FROM ABOVE
:ak:

JP Chestnut
Name: Jacob

Post by JP Chestnut » Fri Mar 01, 2019 3:54 am

This site now logs me out 100% of the time when I open a tread in a new tab on my desktop pc. There’s definitely something funky going on.

bedlam
Name: Carl

Post by bedlam » Fri Mar 01, 2019 4:08 am

I tried TT for 30 mins and deleted it.

Ages back I registered my own domain and pay for it to be hosted, so I can put my pics on there. Costs me about $20 a yr and gives me complete freedom to store all my stuff and just link to my pics on forums.

ericf4
(TBD) Penis

Post by ericf4 » Fri Mar 01, 2019 4:22 am

gwells wrote:i understand the reasoning behind doing what you're doing.

Same. It's only dwc that has these issues for me on TAT

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Visit my Music/Drumming Channel at:

https://youtube.com/ericfeuer

ericf4
(TBD) Penis

Post by ericf4 » Fri Mar 01, 2019 4:31 am

I don't have an issue having to access this place via browser but will be to many step for me to waste my time with uploading photos. Not something I'll likely do. Sorry.
Visit my Music/Drumming Channel at:

https://youtube.com/ericfeuer

Nellipj

Post by Nellipj » Fri Mar 01, 2019 4:33 am

Joeprez wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2019 2:50 am
Nellipj wrote:I’ve gotten to the point that when I post here with Tapatalk I just back out of my post after a few seconds and come back in with the post loaded. I understand the frustration loading posts through Tapatalk sometimes. For me the convenience of browsing the forum with Tapatalk is just easier. I have just as much delay when I post through my browser on my computer, I just don’t get the double posts.

+1

Tapatalk is super convenient for posting pictures. I actually don't know how to post pictures from my iPhone without it. For the record, I've never had any big issues from Tapatalk. Is trying another forum software that do works with Tapatalk an option?

Oh, and I only keep pictures with fine asses on my iPhone, so the HBD threads will definitely be affected by this :lol:

Joe, I just posted in today’s Birthday thread using the the mobile site and photobucket and Imgur. It wasn’t as bad as I thought it was going to be. A bit slower to use than Tapatalk but not that bad.