Damasko DC86

Come on in and introduce yourself!
General watch talk.
Post Reply
User avatar
spring-diver
Posts: 1729
Joined: Sat Apr 17, 2010 10:29 am
Name: Shannon

Damasko DC86

Post by spring-diver » Mon Oct 28, 2019 11:27 am

Just released! This is pretty cool Image

All photos and information from stuffler, mike @ WUS

Image

There will be a orange accented version coming soon.

Image

I’m really digging this one below Image ImageImage

Image

Specifications.


DAMASKO CHRONOGRAPH DC 86 BLACK

Movement:
Damasko automatic caliber C51-6 (based on ETA 7750), Ø 30.4 mm, height 8 mm; 29 jewels; 28,800 a / h; Power reserve 48 hour

Functions:
Hours, Minutes, Small Seconds; Chronograph with center seconds, minute and small hour counter, additional 24-hour display, date indication

Case:
Ice-hardened stainless steel with Damest coating, Ø 42 mm, height 13,9 mm; solid screwed back, screw-in crown, integrated magnetic field protection, wr 10atm

Crystal:
Domed sapphire crystal, anti-reflected coating on the inside

Bezel:
The bezel is available in different variations: hours 1 to 11; classic minute scale from 5 to 55; a countdown bezel; one directional diver's bezel

Strap:
Leather with pin buckle

Retail:
€ 3580, - (on strap)


It was a long path of try and tribulation: After a first implementation in modular design, it became clear that an integrated chronograph mechanism would be the better option. Thus, 2013 began with the work on a corresponding caliber. The base movement chosen again was the proven chrono movement ETA 7750.

After four years of development work in-house, they were on target in 2017 and presented the caliber C51. The focus point of the redesign was the jumping minute stop hand, for which a new mechanism was constructed, involving, among other things, five additional gears.

The new C51 movement in the DC 80 chronograph had its premiere, dispensing entirely with auxiliary dials and concentrating on the seconds and minutes counters from the center.

But the caliber C51 can do a lot more. Thanks to the integrated chronograph mechanism, it is possible to place a date disc directly under the dial - not implemented deep inro the movement, as with some modular constructions. And the free space on the dial can be used for other ads, such as the display of a second time zone.

After the chronograph DC 82 with stop minute hand and date display, the model DC 86 now appears as the next sequel. The DC 86 is equipped with the Damasko caliber C51-6, which in addition to the stop second and minute out of the middle also counts the hours - on a sub-dial at «6». At «9» you will find the small second, while at «3» there is an additional 24-hour display, which always moves in the same way as the main time.

The display of stop seconds and minutes out of the center is a benefit to readability supported by the color scheme: all chronograph functions are „green“, the fully colored seconds hand and the minute hand with a green tip (plane silhouette) as well as the index and hand of the hour sub counter at the «6».

Thoughts?

Image
Shannon


Sent from my iPad Pro using Tapatalk
Last edited by spring-diver on Mon Oct 28, 2019 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Seiko: SBDB001, SBDX001, SRP777, SRPA21 PADI

Sinn: EZM9, T1, T1B, 836

:cheers:

User avatar
CGSshorty
Admin
Posts: 33235
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 5:18 pm
Location: Boynton Beach, FL

Re: Damasko DC86

Post by CGSshorty » Mon Oct 28, 2019 12:00 pm

I want to love it. I don’t, though.
"It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever."
David St. Hubbins

User avatar
poppydog
aka Nelldog
Posts: 5877
Joined: Sun Feb 21, 2010 12:31 pm
Name: Steve
Location: Norfolk, UK

Re: Damasko DC86

Post by poppydog » Mon Oct 28, 2019 12:35 pm

What's "ice-hardened" steel?
Regards

Steve

User avatar
Chocodove
Posts: 7736
Joined: Mon Jun 17, 2013 1:35 pm
Name: Todd
Location: NJ

Re: Damasko DC86

Post by Chocodove » Mon Oct 28, 2019 12:38 pm

poppydog wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 12:35 pm
What's "ice-hardened" steel?
It's actually pretty cool and works very well in real life.

"The watch case is made in-house by Damasko and features the industry's toughest material yet. The material is called ""ice-hardened, nickel-free stainless steel"". What is so unique about this steel is that they are absolutely nickel-free, offer a good corrosion resistance, and can be tempered up to 64 HRC/800Vickers which is four times the hardness of every other steel currently used in the watch industry. And this ice-hardened steel is used for the entire case, crown and pushers.

While other manufacturers choose to harden the surface of 316L (1.4435) or 1.4301 up to 1200 Vickers by diffusing carbon into the top layers of the steel, there is no way to temper the material. Due to the austenitic structure of the alloy it is impossible to make sure that that steel remains its hardness throughout the body.

Various tests have proved that this kind of surface treatment is not suitable for our purposes because it only hardens the top layer of the metal. This leads to the so-called eggshell effect. We were able to dent and scratch the “hardened” surface with an ordinary pair of tweezers (which are normally made from spring steel) because the material underneath the hard layer was not able to withstand the pressure."
- Todd

User avatar
poppydog
aka Nelldog
Posts: 5877
Joined: Sun Feb 21, 2010 12:31 pm
Name: Steve
Location: Norfolk, UK

Re: Damasko DC86

Post by poppydog » Mon Oct 28, 2019 12:44 pm

Chocodove wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 12:38 pm
poppydog wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 12:35 pm
What's "ice-hardened" steel?
It's actually pretty cool and works very well in real life.

"The watch case is made in-house by Damasko and features the industry's toughest material yet. The material is called ""ice-hardened, nickel-free stainless steel"". What is so unique about this steel is that they are absolutely nickel-free, offer a good corrosion resistance, and can be tempered up to 64 HRC/800Vickers which is four times the hardness of every other steel currently used in the watch industry. And this ice-hardened steel is used for the entire case, crown and pushers.

While other manufacturers choose to harden the surface of 316L (1.4435) or 1.4301 up to 1200 Vickers by diffusing carbon into the top layers of the steel, there is no way to temper the material. Due to the austenitic structure of the alloy it is impossible to make sure that that steel remains its hardness throughout the body.

Various tests have proved that this kind of surface treatment is not suitable for our purposes because it only hardens the top layer of the metal. This leads to the so-called eggshell effect. We were able to dent and scratch the “hardened” surface with an ordinary pair of tweezers (which are normally made from spring steel) because the material underneath the hard layer was not able to withstand the pressure."
Thanks Todd :salute:
Regards

Steve

User avatar
1954Selmer
Posts: 3494
Joined: Sun Feb 02, 2014 12:07 pm
Name: arce

Re: Damasko DC86

Post by 1954Selmer » Mon Oct 28, 2019 3:15 pm

I sold my Damasko a long time ago and I wish it would walk back through my door. They make some cool shit.
.

User avatar
JP Chestnut
Posts: 17483
Joined: Mon May 27, 2013 10:40 am
Name: Jacob
Location: Ithaca, NY USA

Re: Damasko DC86

Post by JP Chestnut » Mon Oct 28, 2019 7:41 pm

The green is shit, but the other one is cool in an austere way.

User avatar
tattoo chef
<Will Skull for Food>
Posts: 5204
Joined: Thu Mar 11, 2010 8:03 pm
Name: Don

Re: Damasko DC86

Post by tattoo chef » Tue Oct 29, 2019 5:18 am

I really like it overall, but hate the date placement.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

User avatar
zepp21
Posts: 5131
Joined: Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:09 pm
Name: Alex
Location: Pennsylvania

Re: Damasko DC86

Post by zepp21 » Tue Oct 29, 2019 6:03 am

tattoo chef wrote:I really like it overall, but hate the date placement.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Agreed. Love the design but why couldn’t they just make it a no date instead?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AtomicTom
Nuclear Personality!!!!
Posts: 12107
Joined: Fri Jun 29, 2012 9:59 am
Name: Tom

Re: Damasko DC86

Post by AtomicTom » Tue Oct 29, 2019 10:26 am

Seeing a plane on the one hand there Shannon. So I like it ! :grin:

Always like it on vintage watches too, and just the way that
Damasko implemented it. Even the look of the registers, and
sub-dials is great imho.

Some real home runs from them. Thanks very very much !! :salute:

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Majestic-12 [Bot], OrangeSport and 49 guests