gwells
Name: Greg

Re: Global slow down...

Post by gwells » Tue Mar 17, 2020 11:35 am

demer03 wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 11:07 am
gwells wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 10:46 am
i'm still working on proposals and pursuits, it doesn't seem like any of our clients (architecture) have put things on hold yet. which really surprises me. who's going to be in an office later this week or next week to receive printed proposals?
Same here. But you know, you and I often face a six month lag. If we keep this short, will be but a blip.
i'm a lot more worried about the production side than the marketing side. contract deadlines to renegotiate, projects that can get put on hold and then get us into layoffs. even more so with some of our international work. I don't think we have a lot in an active state in china right now, but we have 5 offices in germany and 200+ staff there, and a huge project in kaiserslautern between them and my office.

but it does seem odd that the marketing pipeline has not slowed at all yet (other than pretty much every conference/meeting canceled/postponed). i haven't heard of a pursuit delayed yet if there was already a due date.

demer03
Current Forecast: Vintage Doxa
Name: Mike

Post by demer03 » Tue Mar 17, 2020 11:47 am

gwells wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 11:35 am
demer03 wrote:
gwells wrote:
i'm still working on proposals and pursuits, it doesn't seem like any of our clients (architecture) have put things on hold yet. which really surprises me. who's going to be in an office later this week or next week to receive printed proposals?
Same here. But you know, you and I often face a six month lag. If we keep this short, will be but a blip.
i'm a lot more worried about the production side than the marketing side. contract deadlines to renegotiate, projects that can get put on hold and then get us into layoffs. even more so with some of our international work. I don't think we have a lot in an active state in china right now, but we have 5 offices in germany and 200+ staff there, and a huge project in kaiserslautern between them and my office.

but it does seem odd that the marketing pipeline has not slowed at all yet (other than pretty much every conference/meeting canceled/postponed). i haven't heard of a pursuit delayed yet if there was already a due date.
So far, the plant is humming along and our domestic supply chains are saying business as usual. We had a delay from China on component parts, but they are now in the States. For me, it's the calls I am getting from the GC's saying construction sites are "on hold" (so far it's all Universities and schools) and they want it all held until June.

No can do....that material needs to go into storage somewhere at somebodies expense. Now we have to find a way to keep install crews occupied, but there is no way we can install three months of product in June. Only so much time in a day. And here I was hoping for a nice smooth summer...sheesh.
Old Michigan steams like a young man's dreams
The islands and bays are for sportsmen

gwells

Post by gwells » Tue Mar 17, 2020 12:28 pm

yeah, when suddenly money and availability on the client end comes back, everyone is going to want everything all at once. fat chance. there are only so many people and so many hours in a day. and if this holds out too long, there could be layoffs, which will make it even harder to ramp back up, so let's hope it doesn't get that far. i'm doing my part. staying at home, working from home.

caesarmascetti

Post by caesarmascetti » Tue Mar 17, 2020 12:40 pm

93 Turbo wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 11:28 am
caesarmascetti wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 10:36 am
93 Turbo wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 3:22 am
Australia is about to close it's borders, no surprises there. We're all in this together, unprecedented in my/our lifetime. Lets all be kind each other regardless of where we are on this planet. Remember none of us get out of here alive. In the meantime, wash your hands, look after your families and make sure you have ample stock of your favourite relaxant.

Holy Shit they closed all the liquor stores in Pennsylvania !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :banghead:
Man that's hard core, hope you can pop across the State line? I stocked up on beer a few weeks ago JIC. It's the only thing there hasn't been a run on.

There is now a run on foods stuffs here in Australia, there is still civil order ATM. I'm certain this will change in the coming weeks depending upon how this plays out.

Airlines, hospitality & tourist businesses are stuffed for now. Were mid way through our home renovations and will continue with the build as theres no need or reason not to. Our finances are fine and feel it's important to keep $ flowing where ever possible.
Yeah Delaware is still open for business, but I'm good

Henryj
Bubblehead
Name: Old guy

Post by Henryj » Tue Mar 17, 2020 12:42 pm

You guys should try unemployment/job hunting while burning through savings in the middle of all this. I’m not doing so well.
If you put a large switch in some cave somewhere, with a sign on it saying 'End-of-the-World Switch. PLEASE DO NOT TOUCH', the paint wouldn't even have time to dry.

caesarmascetti

Post by caesarmascetti » Tue Mar 17, 2020 12:50 pm

more good news lets hope it's a warm spring and summer:

https://www.dailywire.com/news/chinese- ... er-weather

Henryj
Bubblehead
Name: Old guy

Post by Henryj » Tue Mar 17, 2020 12:58 pm

caesarmascetti wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 12:50 pm
more good news lets hope it's a warm spring and summer:

https://www.dailywire.com/news/chinese- ... er-weather
We’ll see. I’m not trusting research on this out of China these days, and there are some warm places like the Persian gulf, Arabian peninsula that aren’t exactly virus free.
If you put a large switch in some cave somewhere, with a sign on it saying 'End-of-the-World Switch. PLEASE DO NOT TOUCH', the paint wouldn't even have time to dry.

demer03

Post by demer03 » Tue Mar 17, 2020 1:17 pm

Hoping your situation improves Henry...

JBZ
Mr. Tasseled Loafer
Name: Jeff

Post by JBZ » Tue Mar 17, 2020 1:25 pm

Henryj wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 12:42 pm
You guys should try unemployment/job hunting while burning through savings in the middle of all this. I’m not doing so well.
I hate to hear this - been there, and it sucks. I hope things improve for you.

Ruggs
Name: Andrew

Post by Ruggs » Tue Mar 17, 2020 1:31 pm

Henryj wrote:You guys should try unemployment/job hunting while burning through savings in the middle of all this. I’m not doing so well.
Sucks man, I’ve been there too. I’m sure all this BS is the last thing you need. Hang in there. Image

hoppyjr
HJ
Name: Hoppy

Post by hoppyjr » Tue Mar 17, 2020 1:51 pm

HapaHapa wrote:
Zidane wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 10:27 am
M&A world grinding to a halt...
Mergers & acquisitions?
Men (remember Steve?) & Appletinis.

BacoNoir
Name: Roger

Post by BacoNoir » Tue Mar 17, 2020 2:36 pm

gwells wrote:
Our federal clients are accepting electronic submittals online and are telecommuting. We've had a few opportunities postponed because they had to cancel pre-bid site walks, but otherwise business as usual.
www.simplynoble.net
Time Magazine Person of the Year - 2006

Graeme
Owner - SAS & Míleata
Name: Graeme

Post by Graeme » Tue Mar 17, 2020 2:37 pm

Ok, here is the bar to measure just how insane this whole situation is.

The pubs are closed in Ireland on St. Patrick's day. !!!!!!!!!!!

Regards Graeme

Image Image

gwells

Post by gwells » Tue Mar 17, 2020 2:41 pm

BacoNoir wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 2:36 pm
gwells wrote:
Our federal clients are accepting electronic submittals online and are telecommuting. We've had a few opportunities postponed because they had to cancel pre-bid site walks, but otherwise business as usual.
finally got an amendment on a couple changing to electronic only. maybe they were just overwhelmed writing all the amendments to send out.

dnslater
Name: Nick

Post by dnslater » Tue Mar 17, 2020 2:44 pm

demer03 wrote:
gwells wrote:
My hospital clients are all slowing way down. No new construction projects will begin until this works itself through and some jobs in hospitals are stopping. Design work is about half speed as we can’t physically enter the hospitals to review site conditions. About 1/3rd of our employees have desktops at work and can’t run Revit from home. This year will be brutal.

We designed a new hospital in Bloomington that is under construction and we aren’t allowed in the job trailer. We show up, walk the project, and leave.

Selym
Name: Myles

Post by Selym » Tue Mar 17, 2020 2:46 pm

Henryj wrote:
I hate when bad things happen to good people.

dnslater

Post by dnslater » Tue Mar 17, 2020 2:46 pm

Graeme wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 2:37 pm
Ok, here is the bar to measure just how insane this whole situation is.

The pubs are closed in Ireland on St. Patrick's day. !!!!!!!!!!!

Regards Graeme

Shit, it thought sure we would get to Zombies well before that happened.

Selym
Name: Myles

Post by Selym » Tue Mar 17, 2020 2:49 pm

dnslater wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 2:44 pm
About 1/3rd of our employees have desktops at work and can’t run Revit from home.
Same story at my job. Not everyone has a laptop, and security policy precludes people connecting to the VPN with non-company equipment, so they can't use their person computers at home.

Talk about penny wise, pound foolish. Laptops aren't that much more than desktops.

gwells

Post by gwells » Tue Mar 17, 2020 2:56 pm

dnslater wrote:
About 1/3rd of our employees have desktops at work and can’t run Revit from home.
for us, all of our staff have laptops, but the reality is when you're working with size of a revit model for a 2-3M SF hospital, you're not going to be loading it through VPN. and we have limited numbers of desktops people can remote into so they can run it locally.

here's to hoping we're able to get this under control sooner than we think.

demer03

Post by demer03 » Tue Mar 17, 2020 3:15 pm

dnslater wrote:
demer03 wrote:
gwells wrote:
My hospital clients are all slowing way down. No new construction projects will begin until this works itself through and some jobs in hospitals are stopping. Design work is about half speed as we can’t physically enter the hospitals to review site conditions. About 1/3rd of our employees have desktops at work and can’t run Revit from home. This year will be brutal.

We designed a new hospital in Bloomington that is under construction and we aren’t allowed in the job trailer. We show up, walk the project, and leave.
Ugh....the Revit would be a pain. It’s easy to have engineers working in CAD remotely, but Revit is tethered to the office.

dnslater

Post by dnslater » Tue Mar 17, 2020 3:25 pm

gwells wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 2:56 pm
dnslater wrote:
for us, all of our staff have laptops, but the reality is when you're working with size of a revit model for a 2-3M SF hospital, you're not going to be loading it through VPN. and we have limited numbers of desktops people can remote into so they can run it locally.

For our larger projects we are using cloud hosted Revit models. When working remote we can check out a license and work direct to the cloud, bypassing our network which is a bottleneck. Works pretty well depending on internet speed. Of course it takes a pretty beefy ($$) laptop to run the model.

caesarmascetti

Post by caesarmascetti » Tue Mar 17, 2020 3:49 pm

Henryj wrote:
good luck brother, I was there in 08-09 sucked

caesarmascetti

Post by caesarmascetti » Tue Mar 17, 2020 3:58 pm

Henryj wrote:
good luck brother, I was there in 08-09 sucked

gwells

Post by gwells » Tue Mar 17, 2020 4:03 pm

dnslater wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 3:25 pm
gwells wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 2:56 pm
dnslater wrote:

For our larger projects we are using cloud hosted Revit models. When working remote we can check out a license and work direct to the cloud, bypassing our network which is a bottleneck. Works pretty well depending on internet speed. Of course it takes a pretty beefy ($$) laptop to run the model.
i know we have some cloud hosted revit models, but not sure all of it is. but also not sure how that's working *outside* of the office. i think they've been running them on nasuni servers, which host in the cloud and cache into the local offices. not sure how that would work for someone remote at home.

we use the same system for our marketing files and it syncs up on any server we want it to in offices we have marketing staff, but when we remote in via VPN, i'm essentially connecting to the cloud through our main office, so it's not really direct connect.

our architecture laptops are all pretty beefy. i'm running one (a lenovo p51 w/32gb RAM) i've had a hard time getting it to run slowly, even when running a lot of adobe apps at the same time, including rendering video.

toxicavenger
President Tranny
Name: HeadDIK

Post by toxicavenger » Tue Mar 17, 2020 5:15 pm

Production in China is back to normal.

I used a VPN of a lot of years and it was great. Now I am working on satellites. You can't do that via vpn I am afraid. Some sick asshole came to our work today, so they shut us down even though we a mission essential. Same asshole got sent home last week for being sick. What a dick move!!!