Global slow down...

Come on in and introduce yourself!
General watch talk.
hoppyjr
HJ
Name: Hoppy

Re: Global slow down...

Post by hoppyjr » Tue Mar 17, 2020 5:24 pm

toxicavenger wrote:Production in China is back to normal.

I used a VPN of a lot of years and it was great. Now I am working on satellites. You can't do that via vpn I am afraid. Some sick asshole came to our work today, so they shut us down even though we a mission essential. Same asshole got sent home last week for being sick. What a dick move!!!
People like that need a beating.

HapaHapa
Name: Eric

Post by HapaHapa » Tue Mar 17, 2020 6:32 pm

hoppyjr wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 5:24 pm

I used a VPN of a lot of years and it was great. Now I am working on satellites. You can't do that via vpn I am afraid. Some sick asshole came to our work today, so they shut us down even though we a mission essential. Same asshole got sent home last week for being sick. What a dick move!!!
We had a guy come in who had been in Vietnam for 3 weeks. Hacking and coughing with a chest cold. His ass got sent home. Wtf kind of dumbass comes to work in that condition? Let’s just say he doesn’t need to money so it’s not like he needs to make the rent. :cussing:

toxicavenger
President Tranny
Name: HeadDIK

Post by toxicavenger » Tue Mar 17, 2020 7:24 pm

HapaHapa wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 6:32 pm
hoppyjr wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 5:24 pm

We had a guy come in who had been in Vietnam for 3 weeks. Hacking and coughing with a chest cold. His ass got sent home. Wtf kind of dumbass comes to work in that condition? Let’s just say he doesn’t need to money so it’s not like he needs to make the rent. :cussing:
There are a lot of dumb asses. When the chain of command found out about it they put up signs letting people know to not enter the AO. But they told everyone inside the AO they could come and go as pleased. Made no sense at all. Considering we were a skeleton crew keeping the mission going (the rest fled last week) now we had to shut it all down. Pretty disappointing. Since we were all so careful and one dude who was not part of our Team screwed it up. :monkeypiss:

59yukon01
1.21 gigawatts?!
Name: David

Post by 59yukon01 » Tue Mar 17, 2020 8:26 pm

Just heard on the local news that ammo has been flying off the shelves everywhere here.

Guess that's the new TP.

Henryj
Bubblehead
Name: Old guy

Post by Henryj » Tue Mar 17, 2020 8:35 pm

59yukon01 wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 8:26 pm
Just heard on the local news that ammo has been flying off the shelves everywhere here.

Guess that's the new TP. Image
I have a bunch of 8mm and 7.62x39. Just don’t have any rifles in either. If there’s anyone local that wants it, PM. Also, .303 Brit, and an Enfield No. 4*.
If you put a large switch in some cave somewhere, with a sign on it saying 'End-of-the-World Switch. PLEASE DO NOT TOUCH', the paint wouldn't even have time to dry.

streetracer101
Name: Mr Shackleford

Post by streetracer101 » Tue Mar 17, 2020 8:46 pm

59yukon01 wrote:

Been happening. You could get .556 for $285 for 1000rd last month. Now it is up to $380 for the same amount.

JP Chestnut
Name: Jacob

Post by JP Chestnut » Tue Mar 17, 2020 9:09 pm

And what you can buy is super slow to ship. Probably a week at least to ship based on my experience.

caesarmascetti

Post by caesarmascetti » Wed Mar 18, 2020 4:29 am

Some more good news (mostly):

-China has closed down its last coronavirus hospital. Not enough new cases to support them.
- Doctors in India have been successful in treating Coronavirus. Combination of drugs used: Lopinavir, Retonovir, Oseltamivir, along with Chlorphenamine. They are going to suggest the same medicine globally.
- Researchers of the Erasmus Medical Center claim to have found an antibody against coronavirus.
- A 103-year-old Chinese grandmother has made a full recovery from COVID-19 after being treated for six days in Wuhan, China.
- Apple reopens all 42 china stores.
- Cleveland Clinic developed a COVID-19 test that gives results in hours, not days.
- Good news from South Korea, where the number of new cases is declining.
- Italy is struck, experts say, only because they have the oldest population in Europe.
- Scientists in Israel likely to announce the development of a coronavirus vaccine.
- 3 Maryland coronavirus patients fully recovered; able to return to everyday life.
- A network of Canadian scientists are making excellent progress in Covid-19 research.
- A San Diego biotech company is developing a Covid-19 vaccine in collaboration with Duke University and National University of Singapore.
- Tulsa County's first positive COVID-19 case has recovered. This individual has had two negative tests, which is the indicator of recovery.
- All seven patients who were getting treated for at Safdarjung hospital in New Delhi have recovered.
- Plasma from newly recovered patients from Covid -19 can treat others infected by Covid-19.
So it's not all bad news. Let's care for each other and stay focused on the safety of those most vulnerable.

JBZ
Mr. Tasseled Loafer
Name: Jeff

Post by JBZ » Wed Mar 18, 2020 5:51 am

59yukon01 wrote:

Hopefully no one confuses them.

Chocodove
Name: Todd

Post by Chocodove » Wed Mar 18, 2020 6:14 am

I checked in with my FFL about an order I managed to get in over the weekend before the panic buying really started to set in (just something I had my eye on for a while and figured why not, not a necessity) and he's been waiting on lots of things from his distributor. He forwarded me the email from them when he checked in this morning...exact words were "the warehouse has never had this much business...ever". :shrug:
- Todd

JBZ
Mr. Tasseled Loafer

Post by JBZ » Wed Mar 18, 2020 6:23 am

Chocodove wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 6:14 am
I checked in with my FFL about an order I managed to get in over the weekend before the panic buying really started to set in (just something I had my eye on for a while and figured why not, not a necessity) and he's been waiting on lots of things from his distributor. He forwarded me the email from them when he checked in this morning...exact words were "the warehouse has never had this much business...ever". :shrug:
It's such a weird slowdown. The hospitality industry (airlines, restaurants, hotels) is being destroyed. The retail industry, primarily supermarkets, drug stores, and big boxes are booming (as long as the supply chain can keep up). Some retail stores are closing, which hurts their workers, but their online sales will keep going (at least LL Bean and Ralph Lauren have vowed to continue to pay their employees for now - I'm sure there are others).

The banks are still okay, and will be as long as businesses can continue to pay on their loans. Not sure how long that will be, though. Also not sure how much new lending business banks are going to do right now, despite the unbelievably low interest rates.

dnslater
Name: Nick

Post by dnslater » Wed Mar 18, 2020 8:48 am

JBZ wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 6:23 am
Chocodove wrote:
It's such a weird slowdown. The hospitality industry (airlines, restaurants, hotels) is being destroyed. The retail industry, primarily supermarkets, drug stores, and big boxes are booming (as long as the supply chain can keep up). Some retail stores are closing, which hurts their workers, but their online sales will keep going (at least LL Bean and Ralph Lauren have vowed to continue to pay their employees for now - I'm sure there are others).

The banks are still okay, and will be as long as businesses can continue to pay on their loans. Not sure how long that will be, though. Also not sure how much new lending business banks are going to do right now, despite the unbelievably low interest rates.
Interesting how many “successful” small businesses run on such razor thin margins with no rainy day fund.

JBZ
Mr. Tasseled Loafer

Post by JBZ » Wed Mar 18, 2020 9:33 am

dnslater wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 8:48 am
JBZ wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 6:23 am
Chocodove wrote:

Interesting how many “successful” small businesses run on such razor thin margins with no rainy day fund.
It's true. I wonder about my barber who I've been going to for years. One man shop. Good guy - helps his kids when they need a little money. People aren't going to want to visit him because of the virus. I have no idea how much he has saved or what will happen to him and his business if there's a long downturn and no assistance. Even during the great recession people were still getting their hair cut.

And it's going to build on itself. More people out of work means less spending and less tax revenue, which means more layoffs. Local news is reporting 30,000 unemployment claims in CT since this weekend. Normal amount in a week is something like 3,500.

JP Chestnut
Name: Jacob

Post by JP Chestnut » Wed Mar 18, 2020 9:37 am

I wonder about people holding commercial real estate. At some point, they should probably temporarily decrease the rent to businesses impacted by this - otherwise the shops will close and they're going to be stuck looking for a new renter.

JBZ
Mr. Tasseled Loafer

Post by JBZ » Wed Mar 18, 2020 9:42 am

JP Chestnut wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 9:37 am
I wonder about people holding commercial real estate. At some point, they should probably temporarily decrease the rent to businesses impacted by this - otherwise the shops will close and they're going to be stuck looking for a new renter.
It's got to be tough to figure out. Don't want to lose tenants, but also need to make your debt payments. This is one of about a bazillion reasons why all those douchebags on late night tv telling you that you can make tons of money in real estate with no risk are entirely full of shit.

gwells
Name: Greg

Post by gwells » Wed Mar 18, 2020 10:18 am

JMFC. one of our hospital clients is literally holding in-person interviews on april 2. wtf is wrong with people?

demer03
Current Forecast: Vintage Doxa
Name: Mike

Post by demer03 » Wed Mar 18, 2020 10:51 am

gwells wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 10:18 am
JMFC. one of our hospital clients is literally holding in-person interviews on april 2. wtf is wrong with people?
MY CONCEPT IS AS FOLLOWS!!
122138F8-320F-43E8-93CA-F6E780395C35.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Old Michigan steams like a young man's dreams
The islands and bays are for sportsmen

Zidane
Stevie's Nick
Name: Nick

Post by Zidane » Wed Mar 18, 2020 12:21 pm

hoppyjr wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 1:51 pm
HapaHapa wrote:
Zidane wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 10:27 am
M&A world grinding to a halt...
Mergers & acquisitions?
Men (remember Steve?) & Appletinis.
LMFAO...Yes. Mergers & Acquisitions.

demer03

Post by demer03 » Wed Mar 18, 2020 2:00 pm

Just told due to Defense Production Act, we need to produce two hospital projects in two weeks....two weeks.

Lead time is 10-12 weeks right now.

Oh joy

hoppyjr
HJ
Name: Hoppy

Post by hoppyjr » Wed Mar 18, 2020 2:33 pm

demer03 wrote:Just told due to Defense Production Act, we need to produce two hospital projects in two weeks....two weeks.

Oh joy
Damn.

sierra11b
Name: Eric

Post by sierra11b » Wed Mar 18, 2020 3:11 pm

demer03 wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 2:00 pm
Just told due to Defense Production Act, we need to produce two hospital projects in two weeks....two weeks.

Oh joy
So the plan is to erect two hospitals using the Chinese house of cards approach?

Henryj
Bubblehead

Post by Henryj » Wed Mar 18, 2020 3:28 pm

Asking for good thoughts, I have a job interview Friday. It’ll be interesting, I’ve never done a virtual interview before.
If you put a large switch in some cave somewhere, with a sign on it saying 'End-of-the-World Switch. PLEASE DO NOT TOUCH', the paint wouldn't even have time to dry.

demer03

Post by demer03 » Wed Mar 18, 2020 3:40 pm

Henryj wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 3:28 pm
Asking for good thoughts, I have a job interview Friday. It’ll be interesting, I’ve never done a virtual interview before.
Good luck Henry. About damned time brother!

Henryj
Bubblehead

Post by Henryj » Wed Mar 18, 2020 3:58 pm

demer03 wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 3:40 pm
Henryj wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 3:28 pm
Good luck Henry. About damned time brother!
Thanks, man. The down side is I’d be working in Michigan :lol:

gwells
Name: Greg

Post by gwells » Wed Mar 18, 2020 4:07 pm

Seppia wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 1:47 pm
gwells wrote:JMFC. one of our hospital clients is literally holding in-person interviews on april 2. wtf is wrong with people?
He/she probably still believes it’s just the flu
we now have the option to "skype" interview.

and sheesh, i hope a major university hospital system at this point knows better than "it's the flue".