Come on in and introduce yourself!
General watch talk.
HapaHapa
Name: Eric

Re: Global slow down...

Post by HapaHapa » Wed Mar 11, 2020 8:02 am

Brimstone wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 7:03 am
I am in Atlanta for the MODEX show this week and it is dead. Coronavirus fear has everyone staying home. Pussies.
Cheap plane tickets. Great time to buy summer tickets.
The Hapa

Brimstone

Post by Brimstone » Wed Mar 11, 2020 8:20 am

HapaHapa wrote:
Brimstone wrote:
I am in Atlanta for the MODEX show this week and it is dead. Coronavirus fear has everyone staying home. Pussies.
I just bought tickets to Puerto Rico a couple weeks ago. I think I bought too early.

Ryeguy
Name: Chris

Post by Ryeguy » Wed Mar 11, 2020 9:27 am

JBZ wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 7:23 am
While the TP hoarders, bleach garglers, and sneeze alarmists are overreacting, I think it makes sense for communities to engage in social distancing at this point. That's what's going on in my town and state. Better to do it proactively than wait for an outbreak to take hold (like what happened in northern Italy). If hospitals get overwhelmed, people die needlessly. And while 1 or 2 percent doesn't sound like a lot, it's 10 to 20 times higher than the mortality rate for a routine flu season.

The best course of action is to reduce the number of infections or at least delay them so that our healthcare system can adequately respond. Social distancing can go a long way toward helping with that.
Lot's of bars doing St. Patrick's Day celebrations this weekend. My daughter does Irish step dancing and her school gets hired to dance at a ton of bars / restaurants (fund raising to send the girls to world's, etc.). I've told my wife we ought to bag those events this year. Just not worth it.

I think it is safe to assume we'll see a spike in new cases this time next week if all the party people get together over the weekend.

JBZ
Mr. Tasseled Loafer
Name: Jeff

Post by JBZ » Wed Mar 11, 2020 9:48 am

Ryeguy wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 9:27 am
JBZ wrote:
While the TP hoarders, bleach garglers, and sneeze alarmists are overreacting, I think it makes sense for communities to engage in social distancing at this point. That's what's going on in my town and state. Better to do it proactively than wait for an outbreak to take hold (like what happened in northern Italy). If hospitals get overwhelmed, people die needlessly. And while 1 or 2 percent doesn't sound like a lot, it's 10 to 20 times higher than the mortality rate for a routine flu season.

The best course of action is to reduce the number of infections or at least delay them so that our healthcare system can adequately respond. Social distancing can go a long way toward helping with that.
Lot's of bars doing St. Patrick's Day celebrations this weekend. My daughter does Irish step dancing and her school gets hired to dance at a ton of bars / restaurants (fund raising to send the girls to world's, etc.). I've told my wife we ought to bag those events this year. Just not worth it.

I think it is safe to assume we'll see a spike in new cases this time next week if all the party people get together over the weekend.
Both New Haven and Hartford have cancelled/postponed their parades. Won't keep people from going out and partying, but will hopefully help.

I'm supposed to attend a large indoor event with my parents next week. They're in their late 70s, so I'm suggesting/requiring that we skip it.

dnslater
Name: Nick

Post by dnslater » Wed Mar 11, 2020 10:11 am

Brimstone wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 8:20 am
HapaHapa wrote:
Brimstone wrote:
I just bought tickets to Puerto Rico a couple weeks ago. I think I bought too early.
A guy I work with bought tickets a month ago. He just canceled them and rebought them for like half the price.

andrema
Bean Counter Extraordinaire
Name: William Drayton, Jr.

Post by andrema » Wed Mar 11, 2020 10:13 am

I don't like people, so I am okay with pandemics

demer03
Current Forecast: Vintage Doxa
Name: Mike

Post by demer03 » Wed Mar 11, 2020 10:14 am

Brimstone wrote:
Pittcon was the same. Several booths with signs saying simply "absent due to travel restrictions"
Old Michigan steams like a young man's dreams
The islands and bays are for sportsmen

Steve O.
Name: Uh, Steve

Post by Steve O. » Wed Mar 11, 2020 11:04 am

andrema wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 10:13 am
This.
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things." - George Carlin

deepcdvr
Flipper Extraordinaire
Name: Paul

Post by deepcdvr » Wed Mar 11, 2020 11:36 am

River Rat wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 7:15 am
What happened in that rest home for the elderly in the state of Washington is criminal. No test kits so you can test and remove the healthy ones in the beginning . Even the nurses and other workers who also got quarantined have now tested positive for it. They messed up with a weak response think 13 have died there. Montana only got 200 test kits for the whole state for this virus WTF. We were offered enough kits for the USA from WHO from Europe and we turned them down. Think of the life’s that could of been saved at that nursing home. One of them could of been your mother or dad or grandparents a crying shame. Think I will try to stay in my house till the end if I can do it before a rest home we old people get fucked. That rest home should get every one mad wait till it hits your family like your dad mom or grandparents then it will hit home. And it won’t be a joke any more. Use to think like this Alzheimer’s not going to hit my family then my dad gets it and it takes his life. This is how a lot think about this new virus.
We hear you Mike! Definitely have to care for the older folk (especially since we're right behind them... :)
VR/
Paul

SI VI PACEM, PARA BELLUM

Ryeguy

Post by Ryeguy » Wed Mar 11, 2020 11:40 am

JBZ wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 9:48 am
Ryeguy wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 9:27 am
JBZ wrote:

Both New Haven and Hartford have cancelled/postponed their parades. Won't keep people from going out and partying, but will hopefully help.

I'm supposed to attend a large indoor event with my parents next week. They're in their late 70s, so I'm suggesting/requiring that we skip it.
Same with Boston.

Then we get the knucklehead who caused a local school to close for cleaning because he went to vote while on quarantine.

This is the kind of stupidity that will cause us issues. These idiots who don't understand what "stay home" means.

River Rat
DWC Tribal Council

Post by River Rat » Wed Mar 11, 2020 12:05 pm

Was talking to my sister today she lives in the bay area. Well my mom 97 years old and had a fall so she had to pick her up at the emergency room. Going into the hospital you have to walk by a triage tent for this virus and walk by a line of people getting checked it freaked her out a bit. Plus with walking out with my mom who has all kinds of health problems and 97 years old would freak me out to. But most of us who live were the virus has not hit yet wont notice this stuff but did notice when I took my brother for a doctors appointment at the hospital in Bozeman they ask questions like if you been out of the country and a few other health questions relating to this virus. Nothing like that at the small clinic in a smaller town I went to for a physical last week.

HapaHapa

Post by HapaHapa » Wed Mar 11, 2020 12:31 pm

Steve O. wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 11:04 am
andrema wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 10:13 am
This.
When I drink alone.....
The Hapa

BBK357
Ban Jacobs
Name: Vladimir

Post by BBK357 » Wed Mar 11, 2020 12:56 pm

I would have no problem staying at home. Too bad I’ll be made to work until I myself am dying.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DEATH FROM ABOVE
:ak:

caesarmascetti

Post by caesarmascetti » Wed Mar 11, 2020 2:49 pm

ok here is an example of the hype, this is a quote:

The WHO’s estimated mortality rate for COVID-19 started off at 2%, Fauci said. If you count all the estimated cases of people who may have it but haven’t been diagnosed yet, the mortality rate is probably closer to 1%, he said, “which means it’s 10 times more lethal than the seasonal flu.”

That is his direct quote. from this article:

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/03/11/top-fed ... he-us.html

The headline reads:

Top US health official says the coronavirus is 10 times ‘more lethal’ than the seasonal flu

Why not say the death rate is 1% first? Because saying its 10x's more lethal than the flu is much more dramatic and alarming.

Cabaiguan
Name: Raf

Post by Cabaiguan » Wed Mar 11, 2020 3:28 pm

The media in this country is shot. Objective journalism is pretty much dead. It’s a big business driven by click rate and headlines to draw people into their sites. Sad but true.
"A ship of war is the best ambassador." - Oliver Cromwell

caesarmascetti

Post by caesarmascetti » Wed Mar 11, 2020 3:49 pm

Cabaiguan wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 3:28 pm
The media in this country is shot. Objective journalism is pretty much dead. It’s a big business driven by click rate and headlines to draw people into their sites. Sad but true.

Absolutely true and they have their agenda. If they had any integrity the headline should have read....."Corona Mortality rate will settle at 1% among all people infected" and then go on to explain that 90+% of those that in fact die have other underlying medical problems, bringing the mortality rate among healthy individuals to .1 or .2 of one percent. But why do that when you can stoke the panic?

Selym
Name: Myles

Post by Selym » Wed Mar 11, 2020 3:59 pm

Ryeguy wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 11:40 am
Then we get the knucklehead who caused a local school to close for cleaning because he went to vote while on quarantine.

This is the kind of stupidity that will cause us issues. These idiots who don't understand what "stay home" means.
This is the price of living in a (reasonably) free society. In China, for example, the government can use a tremendous amount of force to quarantine and contain. Here, we rely on people using their God-given common sense.

Selym

Post by Selym » Wed Mar 11, 2020 4:02 pm

caesarmascetti wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 2:49 pm

The WHO’s estimated mortality rate for COVID-19 started off at 2%, Fauci said. If you count all the estimated cases of people who may have it but haven’t been diagnosed yet, the mortality rate is probably closer to 1%, he said, “which means it’s 10 times more lethal than the seasonal flu.”

The headline reads:

Top US health official says the coronavirus is 10 times ‘more lethal’ than the seasonal flu

Why not say the death rate is 1% first? Because saying its 10x's more lethal than the flu is much more dramatic and alarming.
The question is, will hospitals in the US have enough beds, ventilators, PPE, etc. :banghead:

caesarmascetti

Post by caesarmascetti » Wed Mar 11, 2020 4:51 pm

Selym wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 4:02 pm
caesarmascetti wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 2:49 pm

The headline reads:

The question is, will hospitals in the US have enough beds, ventilators, PPE, etc. :banghead:

I want to know why the media would use that headline instead of the Mortality rate dropping to 1%? And why would the media only mention that fact two thirds of the way down the article, it's almost like the media want to stoke the panic. Many people don't read much past the headline in fact I bet better than half don't all they got is that it's 10x's deadlier than the flu. Once again let's stoke the panic. I honestly don't understand why the media would want to do this and report this way.

That's a separate issue, if the numbers stay consistent 80+% infected won't need to be hospitalized as they will have mild or no symptoms. In addition to shutting down mass gatherings, closing borders, and using quarantines etc,,.. it seems we're doing what we can to help stop the infections.
Last edited by caesarmascetti on Wed Mar 11, 2020 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

demer03
Current Forecast: Vintage Doxa
Name: Mike

Post by demer03 » Wed Mar 11, 2020 5:00 pm

Daughters an RT with U of M Metro Hospital. Lack of vents is the real fear...
Old Michigan steams like a young man's dreams
The islands and bays are for sportsmen

River Rat
DWC Tribal Council

Post by River Rat » Wed Mar 11, 2020 5:08 pm

Went to Costco a few days ago they had some one wipe down the handles of the shopping carts as you enter the store. Are they doing that at your local Costco ? I guess so some don’t spread this virus.

Ryeguy

Post by Ryeguy » Wed Mar 11, 2020 5:25 pm

Selym wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 3:59 pm
Ryeguy wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 11:40 am

This is the price of living in a (reasonably) free society. In China, for example, the government can use a tremendous amount of force to quarantine and contain. Here, we rely on people using their God-given common sense.
Yes, but as Mark Twain said, common sense is very uncommon.

While I’m normally against doom and gloom media reporting (and you know what I mean with every snowfall being reported as a “BLIZZARD!” by the local news), I’m kinda hopeful it sways people into proper action even if government or health professional recommendations don’t.

People need to accept a little personal inconvenience in order to support the greater good.

Selym

Post by Selym » Wed Mar 11, 2020 5:41 pm

Ryeguy wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 5:25 pm
While I’m normally against doom and gloom media reporting (and you know what I mean with every snowfall being reported as a “BLIZZARD!” by the local news), I’m kinda hopeful it sways people into proper action even if government or health professional recommendations don’t.
Exactly. Far better to take this too seriously than not seriously enough.

gr8sw
Name: Pedro

Post by gr8sw » Wed Mar 11, 2020 6:02 pm

seems like there will be some good watch deals, both new and used, upcoming...

man, how things can change in a few short months :raised:
‘I don’t worry about a thing, 'cause I know nothing’s gonna be alright’ Mose Allison

59yukon01
1.21 gigawatts?!
Name: David

Post by 59yukon01 » Wed Mar 11, 2020 7:08 pm

The NBA just suspended the rest of their season due to a player testing positive.

I'm sure everyone already knows about empty arenas for March Madness.