In Case You Missed It - Timefactors

Come on in and introduce yourself!
General watch talk.
namor
Name: Seth

Post by namor » Sun Sep 13, 2020 3:44 pm

Not sure why, but we almost never talk about the various Timefactors watches that Eddie Platts puts out. He seems to have gone in heavy on the idea that watch sizes have grown too large and has released several new models that are downsized versions of past popular watches.

The demand for these has been huge, so much so that he's been forced to limit ordering to 30 minutes once a month. This is not a Bill Yao ponzi scheme sort of thing; he only sells everything he has in stock, and that he can also get physically out the door in a reasonable time period (like within a month or so). Today's ordering window brought in over 600 orders, for example, and resulted in many disappointed posters over on TZ-UK.

The three reduced size models that are creating the fuss are a Baby Dreadnought - essentially a 38mm diameter, 300M version of the famous PRS2 that helped put micros on the map 17 years ago:
tz3.jpg
At roughly $460, I think its a great bang for the buck and not a clone of anything else you might see.

Next up is a 40mm, 200M version of the Seiko 6105 with a Smiths dial and Seiko NH35 movement. Seiko should make this watch, since the size is appealing...At $420 its also a great buy.
tz1.jpg
Lastly is his Everest model, coming in three dial colors (white, black, and 'expedition' faded beige), a 36mm Explorer style homage. This watch is apparently now sold out, and made up the vast bulk of orders received today.
tz2.jpg
I've always found the quality on TF watches to be top notch, and the prices below the value. I'm very keen to see if the sizes of these are a bellweather for the future trend of divers watches.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
www.usmcscoutsniper.org - Life Member
“Qualified to deport with denizens of the deep, mermaids, and other inhabitants of the realm of Neptune.”

gonzomantis
Name: Mike

Re: In Case You Missed It - Timefactors

Post by gonzomantis » Sun Sep 13, 2020 3:49 pm

Eddie has consistently put out a bunch of nice pieces, albeit heavily weighted to the homage category. He just has a rather prickly personality.

pbj204
Name: Paul

Post by pbj204 » Sun Sep 13, 2020 3:59 pm

I do like the baby dreadnought, mostly because I like plongeur hands.

gwells
Name: Greg

Post by gwells » Sun Sep 13, 2020 4:51 pm

i like the smiths everest, but eddie has such a reputation as an ass, including if there are any issues with a watch he sells you, that i have no interest in putting any money in his pocket. he treats his customers with disdain, i don't need that in my life.

sierra11b
Name: Eric

Post by sierra11b » Sun Sep 13, 2020 4:59 pm

gwells wrote:
Sun Sep 13, 2020 4:51 pm
i like the smiths everest, but eddie has such a reputation as an ass, including if there are any issues with a watch he sells you, that i have no interest in putting any money in his pocket. he treats his customers with disdain, i don't need that in my life.
This.

Although the prs14 was a great SM300 homage I paid <$500 for an waited only a week to be delivered rather than 10yrs+

Rackness
Name: Jason

Post by Rackness » Sun Sep 13, 2020 5:26 pm

They have always seemed a bit too homage for my liking. The dreadnought is a cool design but next to impossible to get. With so many tempting available options out there I just sort of forgot about them. Never paid enough attention to them to hear about the man behind the brand but if he is what people say I would just as soon forget about them again.

HapaHapa

Post by HapaHapa » Sun Sep 13, 2020 6:16 pm

Baby Dreadnought looks great and same for price. However I have a similar sized diver that I bought while in college and 38mm/18mm-lugs just doesn’t cut it, even on my smaller 6.75” albeit flat wrist. Also don’t like the idea of buying something from a guy like Eddie.

Also don’t need more watches anyway.
The Hapa

jimyritz
Masshole

Post by jimyritz » Mon Sep 14, 2020 6:12 am

HapaHapa wrote:
Sun Sep 13, 2020 6:16 pm
Baby Dreadnought looks great and same for price. However I have a similar sized diver that I bought while in college and 38mm/18mm-lugs just doesn’t cut it, even on my smaller 6.75” albeit flat wrist. Also don’t like the idea of buying something from a guy like Eddie.

Also don’t need more watches anyway.
38MM by 18MM thick :shock: Always liked the Dreadnought but not at those specs. :shrug:

pbj204
Name: Paul

Post by pbj204 » Mon Sep 14, 2020 7:29 am

jimyritz wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 6:12 am

38MM by 18MM thick :shock: Always liked the Dreadnought but not at those specs. :shrug:
13mm thick, 18mm lug width

CarloDWC
Name: Carlo

Post by CarloDWC » Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:29 am

I could not figure out what was bothering me and now I know, the proportions. Each one of these seems to be off even if a bit in terms of proportions and I think it is because instead of taking a whole new design they tried to scale down an existing one which had a different size. My opinion of course and these are the only pictures I have seen, but the shape and proportions don't work together. :shrug:

I am sure they are nice watches though, the two I had from Timefactors were well made. :grin:

DenverBuff
Name: Vic

Post by DenverBuff » Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:30 am

I like a lot of what Eddie puts out.

But you gotta be a combination of Dracula and Usain Bolt to actually order one of his pieces. You gotta be awake during the 5 minute window at 3:00 am on the first Sunday of the month when he actually sells something, and then you gotta type like hell to make sure you get your order in under the wire.

I just don't wanna work that hard to order a watch. And there's no sense selling something on-line if you make it impossible to order.

gwells

Post by gwells » Mon Sep 14, 2020 10:15 am

and god forbid something ever goes wrong with it.

jimyritz
Masshole

Post by jimyritz » Mon Sep 14, 2020 10:23 am

pbj204 wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 7:29 am
jimyritz wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 6:12 am

13mm thick, 18mm lug width
Ahh- that’s more like it. Thanks.

AtomicTom
Nuclear Personality!!!!
Name: Tom

Post by AtomicTom » Mon Sep 14, 2020 10:37 am

Boy oh boy, that is something with what they are having to do with the ordering,
and then how many are being ordered in that small window too Seth ! :o :thumbsup:
Think it's because they know the reputation of Timefactors, and just the quality
of Mr. Platts' watches. :) But it's still very very impressive to learn about. Honestly
think so many people love those designs, and now years later, having these smaller
versions is just the best !

Thanks very much for the report sir !!!

dinexus
Name: Zach

Post by dinexus » Mon Sep 14, 2020 1:01 pm

I can't wear anything under 40mm anymore. Why is the assumption that if you've made something too big in the past, that you have to swing all the way in the opposite direction?

Panerai7
Name: Art

Post by Panerai7 » Mon Sep 14, 2020 1:26 pm

dinexus wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 1:01 pm
I can't wear anything under 40mm anymore. Why is the assumption that if you've made something too big in the past, that you have to swing all the way in the opposite direction?
It’s all the rage fueled by hipsters on IG getting their bargain 34mm vintage seamasters and datejusts, slapping them on the same overly tapered tan Epsom and thinking they look cool.
Some of IG crowd is having a cow with Rolex rolling out 41mm, saying how Rolex ruined the icon. When measured it’s literally less than 0.5mm larger than 114060.

sierra11b

Post by sierra11b » Mon Sep 14, 2020 1:38 pm

dinexus wrote:
I know my taste change occasionally. Although my sweet spot is 40-41mm I find myself wanting to pick-up my third Sinn U1... But it's not that I'm steering away from 40-41mm or even a great 39mm watch, rather I find I always want at least one big watch in the collection.

I imagine it's like anything luxury or fashion. Last year I was talking to a family friend about car paint at a party who designed for big automobile companies. Because he drove his patina'd VW bug in sea blue green that day, I mentioned how I like how those colors made a come back in the Tacoma, Porsche, etc. He said, "Yeah, we put that in the queue about ten years ago..." as if he helped influenced the trend. Makes me wonder if big companies influence the size trends for a lot of consumers?

toxicavenger
President Tranny
Name: HeadDIK

Post by toxicavenger » Mon Sep 14, 2020 5:53 pm

:headbang:

dnslater
Name: Nick

Post by dnslater » Tue Sep 15, 2020 4:37 am

dinexus wrote:
I mean, I don't see the issue in offering more sizes? You can still go buy a 250 gram full size Dreadnought GMT today if you want. Most of these companies seem to be offering the smaller versions along side the larger version. Still plenty of large dive watches out there for you. The vast majority are still over 40mm.

I'm far from a hipster but find 39-41mm watches to be my sweet spot. Two of my three current main rotation watches have bezels smaller than 40mm.

Steve O.
Name: Uh, Steve

Post by Steve O. » Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:19 am

Despite having a large wrist, I'll wear watches as small as 38mm, both vintage and modern. Used to be I wouldn't even consider anything under 42mm (with the exception of Rolex). Funny how tastes change...

"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things." - George Carlin

gwells

Post by gwells » Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:24 am

yeah, i range from 35mm (my grandfather's omega deville and a vintage zodiac seawolf) to 44mm (U1 and NAFT). although granted both of the larger watches tend to wear a little smaller on the wrist.

my sweet spot is 40-42 for sure.

Bradystraps
Name: Todd

Post by Bradystraps » Fri Sep 18, 2020 2:04 pm

Saw this on IG. 👍🏼
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

HiDive
Name: Vincent

Post by HiDive » Sat Sep 19, 2020 1:01 am

I have had this Dreadnought Voyager for about 5 or 6 years now and I consider it to be one of the best watches for the money that I have ever owned.

Rule number nine - Always carry a knife.

demer03
Current Forecast: Vintage Doxa

Post by demer03 » Sat Sep 19, 2020 7:55 am

Steve O. wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:19 am
Despite having a large wrist, I'll wear watches as small as 38mm, both vintage and modern. Used to be I wouldn't even consider anything under 42mm (with the exception of Rolex). Funny how tastes change...

Steve gets it
Old Michigan steams like a young man's dreams
The islands and bays are for sportsmen

Steve O.
Name: Uh, Steve

Post by Steve O. » Sat Sep 19, 2020 8:36 am

Thanks Mike. Judging by some in your collection, I know you do.
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things." - George Carlin