State of the Market

Come on in and introduce yourself!
General watch talk.
Bob1035
Name: Rob not Bob

Re: State of the Market

Post by Bob1035 » Tue Dec 21, 2021 4:28 am

Its interesting to watch from afar for sure, as I'm not in this market. Same deal with cars. The BMWs (e30s) I love used to be $4500 for a primo example. The exact same car is $12-15k today. Clown world.

JBZ
Mr. Tasseled Loafer
Name: Jeff

Post by JBZ » Tue Dec 21, 2021 4:46 am

logan2z wrote:
Mon Dec 20, 2021 5:10 pm
I read something that suggested the VC Overseas has started to increase in value as people look to brands other than Rolex, PP, and AP for their luxury watch fix. But if the Overseas hasn't yet seen the price increases of the Royal Oak and can actually be purchased from an AD by mere mortals, I'd seriously consider that as an alternative. Beautiful watches from one of The Big Three manufacturers.

These are very nice, especially with the quick change strap feature. I’d be all over one if I could afford it. Some of the first generation overseas are gettable for low five figures. Not a bargain by any stretch (and they’re not as nice as these), but given the general trend of things, they might not be a bad choice.

ncstate1201
Name: Geoff B

Post by ncstate1201 » Tue Dec 21, 2021 4:53 am

Bob1035 wrote:Its interesting to watch from afar for sure, as I'm not in this market. Same deal with cars. The BMWs (e30s) I love used to be $4500 for a primo example. The exact same car is $12-15k today. Clown world.
I keep wondering what will happen when to the car market, particularly with the older collectible cars when/if electric takes over... and what happens if gas is no longer readily available

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

jimyritz
Masshole
Name: Mike

Post by jimyritz » Tue Dec 21, 2021 5:37 am

hoppyjr wrote:
Mon Dec 20, 2021 9:09 am
That’s the big question for sure.

I’ve seriously considered selling the OP or 14060 to take advantage of the hot market, but I haven’t listed yet because I worry about leaving money on the table.

It’s crazy.
I thought the same but finally let the Hulk go for quite the profit and was able to purchase the Polar Exp 2 as well as something coming this Thursday :shifty: ---And still had some money to add to the watch fund...I am first on a list for the OP 41 Turquoise but don't think I will ever see one.

JP Chestnut
Name: Jacob

Post by JP Chestnut » Tue Dec 21, 2021 6:48 am

ncstate1201 wrote:
Tue Dec 21, 2021 4:53 am
Bob1035 wrote:Its interesting to watch from afar for sure, as I'm not in this market. Same deal with cars. The BMWs (e30s) I love used to be $4500 for a primo example. The exact same car is $12-15k today. Clown world.
I keep wondering what will happen when to the car market, particularly with the older collectible cars when/if electric takes over... and what happens if gas is no longer readily available

People (Porsche in particular) are developing synthetic fossil fuels. I assume they will just use that. Does anyone really think Bill Gates is going to park his Porsche 959 after normal people get forced into an EV?

Bob1035

Post by Bob1035 » Tue Dec 21, 2021 8:42 am

ncstate1201 wrote:
Great point! Instead of "cash for clunkers" I'm sure we'll have "funds for fuellers" or something similar.

[/quote]

People (Porsche in particular) are developing synthetic fossil fuels. I assume they will just use that. Does anyone really think Bill Gates is going to park his Porsche 959 after normal people get forced into an EV?
[/quote]

Or some sort of grandfather clause. Some animals are more equal than others, and all that.

namor
Name: Seth

Post by namor » Tue Dec 21, 2021 9:02 am

ncstate1201 wrote:

I doubt this will occur in our lifetime. Consider this: If the current annual US consumption of gasoline were to be replaced by electricity instead, it would require an additional 120% of the 2020 total production of electricity in the USA. More then double what we produce now.

And, since 60% of present day electricity is produced by fossil fuels, the net effect would be to greatly exacerbate the climate effects EVs are hopefully reducing.
www.usmcscoutsniper.org - Life Member
“Qualified to deport with denizens of the deep, mermaids, and other inhabitants of the realm of Neptune.”

streetracer101
Name: Mr Shackleford

Post by streetracer101 » Tue Dec 21, 2021 9:27 am

namor wrote:
Tue Dec 21, 2021 9:02 am
ncstate1201 wrote:

I doubt this will occur in our lifetime. Consider this: If the current annual US consumption of gasoline were to be replaced by electricity instead, it would require an additional 120% of the 2020 total production of electricity in the USA. More then double what we produce now.

And, since 60% of present day electricity is produced by fossil fuels, the net effect would be to greatly exacerbate the climate effects EVs are hopefully reducing.
and I don't think that takes into consideration the effects of heavy metal mining for the batteries or the "recycling" of used EV batteries. We've got a long way before we can consider EVs to be ICE replacements from an environmental standpoint.

JP Chestnut

Post by JP Chestnut » Tue Dec 21, 2021 9:40 am

streetracer101 wrote:
Tue Dec 21, 2021 9:27 am
namor wrote:
ncstate1201 wrote:

and I don't think that takes into consideration the effects of heavy metal mining for the batteries or the "recycling" of used EV batteries. We've got a long way before we can consider EVs to be ICE replacements from an environmental standpoint.
Where do most of those rare earth minerals get mined? In a country that has to shut down factories so it doesn’t look like a brown hellscape of pollution during the Olympics.

unsub073
Name: chris

Post by unsub073 » Tue Dec 21, 2021 10:05 am

streetracer101 wrote:
namor wrote:
ncstate1201 wrote:

Not to mention the infrastructure in place with the charging stations, and being able to get level 2 chargers at home. I live in a smaller town, and there is one public charging station within 20 mins of me, not to mention, even if I wanted a level 2 charger at home, I couldn't get one right now.

streetracer101
Name: Mr Shackleford

Post by streetracer101 » Tue Dec 21, 2021 11:51 am

Yes and yes....but this is the way of the future!

To be fair - I want a Rivian, but that is merely because they look cool, I like the idea of wheeling in general silence and the range will fit well with my commuting patterns. However, I'll be waiting until I have some solar on my house to charge it and for the bugs to shake out after a year or two before I seriously consider the purchase.

Cabaiguan
Name: Raf

Post by Cabaiguan » Tue Dec 21, 2021 5:47 pm

These prices will not “reset”. Goods and wages are being inflated and you rarely see a situation like this reversing.
"A ship of war is the best ambassador." - Oliver Cromwell

Blaine
Name: Blaine

State of the Market

Post by Blaine » Tue Dec 21, 2021 5:56 pm

I have toyed with the idea of parting with my 16570 (Black Dial) but since I bought it a year ago it’s gone up 20%…the polar, I gave my son, 45%. So difficult to part with and like pointed out…even more expensive buying back. I always treated this space as a hobby…but now it’s turned into investments….so a little bit of the buy, sell, trade or buy back is somewhat gone for me. But I certainly enjoy, immensely, what I have

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bob1035

Post by Bob1035 » Wed Dec 22, 2021 9:21 am

Come on guys, no need to bring common sense into the argument... :grin:
unsub073 wrote:
Tue Dec 21, 2021 10:05 am
streetracer101 wrote:
namor wrote:
ncstate1201 wrote:

Not to mention the infrastructure in place with the charging stations, and being able to get level 2 chargers at home. I live in a smaller town, and there is one public charging station within 20 mins of me, not to mention, even if I wanted a level 2 charger at home, I couldn't get one right now.

93 Turbo
Name: Jules

Post by 93 Turbo » Sat Dec 25, 2021 9:58 pm

JBZ wrote:
Mon Dec 20, 2021 10:32 am
Unless/until the Rolex/AP/PP supply chain loosens up and ADs and boutiques have stock to sell, I don't see the gray market prices on the new pieces going down at all.

What blows me away when it comes to Rolex are the prices on all of the five digit models (and even some older six digit models). Given the number out there, they're commanding prices that just seem way too high. A good condition 16610 is the in the 10k - 11k range, and a good condition 16710 is 14k - 15k. It's just nuts when I think that I bought my first Sub about 10 years ago for less than 3k (which included the service that the seller told me would be needed).

I have two five digit Explorer II's. It just doesn't make any sense to me to sell them right now, but I'm keeping my eyes on the market.

But my guess is that we won't see the prices come down on those, at least not significantly. They may slow or stagnate, but not come down. If I were just getting into watches now, Rolex wouldn't even be on the radar screen.
Yeah, picked up a 16710 up just over 10 years ago from HQ Milton for around $3.5K AUS, swapped it for a PAM 423. Don't regret the swap, but here in Aus I'd get around $19K AUS for that GMTII.

I'm finding there are some good buys on BP Bathy 3 hander and JLC's in comparison to anything similar to a SS sports Rolex and the crazy prices being asked. Even here in Aus.
Strength is = 2 or > than "tipping over a so- called smart car plastered in “Coexist” bumper stickers".

Pat McNamara.

JBZ
Mr. Tasseled Loafer
Name: Jeff

Post by JBZ » Sun Dec 26, 2021 3:39 am

93 Turbo wrote:
Sat Dec 25, 2021 9:58 pm
JBZ wrote:
Mon Dec 20, 2021 10:32 am
Unless/until the Rolex/AP/PP supply chain loosens up and ADs and boutiques have stock to sell, I don't see the gray market prices on the new pieces going down at all.

What blows me away when it comes to Rolex are the prices on all of the five digit models (and even some older six digit models). Given the number out there, they're commanding prices that just seem way too high. A good condition 16610 is the in the 10k - 11k range, and a good condition 16710 is 14k - 15k. It's just nuts when I think that I bought my first Sub about 10 years ago for less than 3k (which included the service that the seller told me would be needed).

I have two five digit Explorer II's. It just doesn't make any sense to me to sell them right now, but I'm keeping my eyes on the market.

But my guess is that we won't see the prices come down on those, at least not significantly. They may slow or stagnate, but not come down. If I were just getting into watches now, Rolex wouldn't even be on the radar screen.
Yeah, picked up a 16710 up just over 10 years ago from HQ Milton for around $3.5K AUS, swapped it for a PAM 423. Don't regret the swap, but here in Aus I'd get around $19K AUS for that GMTII.

I'm finding there are some good buys on BP Bathy 3 hander and JLC's in comparison to anything similar to a SS sports Rolex and the crazy prices being asked. Even here in Aus.
I’ve been tempted by the Bathy. Amazing watch for the price. The finish on the movement is outstanding.

Zidane
Stevie's Nick
Name: Nick

Post by Zidane » Sun Dec 26, 2021 8:05 am

I’ve been tempted to sell but I know I’d end up wanting them back down the road and inevitably, they’d be even more expensive…

goaliechris
Name: Chris

Post by goaliechris » Sun Dec 26, 2021 2:26 pm

Love Blancpain. Keep thinking of selling my FF Hodinkee special but haven’t been able to list it. It’s actually a pretty impressive watch though I know many don’t like it. Considered selling it and getting a regular FF in Ti with the blue face. Might still do that.

The Bathy is awesome. My brother had the special edition of that one and it was so clean and comfortable to wear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JDC222
Demander of Intro Threads
Name: Dave

Post by JDC222 » Sun Dec 26, 2021 6:01 pm

streetracer101 wrote:
Tue Dec 21, 2021 11:51 am

To be fair - I want a Rivian, but that is merely because they look cool, I like the idea of wheeling in general silence and the range will fit well with my commuting patterns. However, I'll be waiting until I have some solar on my house to charge it and for the bugs to shake out after a year or two before I seriously consider the purchase.
Rivian just opened an office here in Vancouver. I am sure sure it is because BC had the highest EV sales (per capita) in N. America 2019/20, with Tesla delivering 130 vehicles per day! :fro:
Whisky has killed more men than bullets, but most men would rather be full of whisky than bullets.
Winston Churchill.

blkgsl
Herro!!!
Name: blkgsl

Post by blkgsl » Mon Dec 27, 2021 7:51 am

JDC222 wrote:
streetracer101 wrote:

Rivian just opened an office here in Vancouver. I am sure sure it is because BC had the highest EV sales (per capita) in N. America 2019/20, with Tesla delivering 130 vehicles per day! :fro:
We have the R1S on order - can’t wait to get it!

JDC222
Demander of Intro Threads
Name: Dave

Post by JDC222 » Mon Dec 27, 2021 9:31 am

blkgsl wrote:
Mon Dec 27, 2021 7:51 am
JDC222 wrote:
streetracer101 wrote:

Once you have a pickup truck, it's difficult to go without. I really want to see what the Tesla ends up looking like, although I do love the Rivian. :cheers:
Whisky has killed more men than bullets, but most men would rather be full of whisky than bullets.
Winston Churchill.

blkgsl
Herro!!!
Name: blkgsl

Post by blkgsl » Mon Dec 27, 2021 10:24 am

JDC222 wrote:
Mon Dec 27, 2021 9:31 am
blkgsl wrote:
Mon Dec 27, 2021 7:51 am
JDC222 wrote:
streetracer101 wrote:

Once you have a pickup truck, it's difficult to go without. I really want to see what the Tesla ends up looking like, although I do love the Rivian. :cheers:
100%. I haven't been without a truck since 2014! Although I can't justify tossing crap on the back of a $70k truck like many of my neighbors and friends. My current is a 2006 Tundra with close to 300k miles - bought it a few years ago for less than a CK2998 and it just keeps going!

Chocodove
Name: Todd

Post by Chocodove » Sat Jan 01, 2022 12:23 pm

Apparently Rolex raised their prices today. Standard Sub up to $8950 (from $8100 I believe?). Guess it doesn’t even matter with the current “market prices”.
- Todd

JP Chestnut

Post by JP Chestnut » Sat Jan 01, 2022 12:32 pm

Chocodove wrote:
Sat Jan 01, 2022 12:23 pm
Apparently Rolex raised their prices today. Standard Sub up to $8950 (from $8100 I believe?). Guess it doesn’t even matter with the current “market prices”.
They could have raised the prices to $15,000 and it wouldn't make a difference since almost nobody gets to buy one.

dukerules

Post by dukerules » Sat Jan 01, 2022 2:38 pm

None of these modern Rolex watches seem to have actual, intrinsic value anywhere near MSRP. You can say that about all modern luxury watches, but it’s a hard pill to swallow when you consider what the MSRPs were just a few years ago. The fact that a Sub is now $10K just boggles my mind. Of course if you have one, they’re worth a lot more than MSRP on the secondary market, but that’s beside my point.