Come on in and introduce yourself!
General watch talk.
JP Chestnut
Name: Jacob

Re: Thoughts on the Omega Moon Swatch?

Post by JP Chestnut » Thu Mar 24, 2022 10:08 am

Bradystraps wrote:
Thu Mar 24, 2022 9:49 am
Yup, who the F knows what exactly “Bioceramic” really is. Interested in actually handling/wearing it. I think it will be better quality than many think. We will see!
The lines of the case actually look really nice to me. They're sharp like an unpolished speedy pro, so even if it's molded plastic that's pretty impressive.

HapaHapa
Name: Eric

Post by HapaHapa » Thu Mar 24, 2022 10:15 am

Jeep99dad wrote:
Thu Mar 24, 2022 8:51 am
Only $260.
Will be available on line later on. Y’all don’t need it day 1. Image
They aren’t limited editions. Swatch is volume king anyway.

So let’s relax. I’m sure those who are interested will get one sooner or later. It’s a plastic watch not food or needed shot of insulin. Image
Kind of my feeling after the initial irritation of "want it can't have it" wore off.
The Hapa

Chocodove
Name: Todd

Post by Chocodove » Thu Mar 24, 2022 10:24 am

I have the feeling a lot of the initial buying frenzy will be speculators and not people that would actually wear it. Personally, I am in the likely less than 1% of people that doesn’t care for the Speedy on my wrist, so…
- Todd

jswing
Founder, TDWC MM300 Fan Club
Name: Jeff

Post by jswing » Thu Mar 24, 2022 10:31 am

DatN wrote:
Thu Mar 24, 2022 10:01 am
Someone from GBR has one on eBay with four bids on it already. Price as I type.....$7,134
The buyer will feel pretty stupid in a month when they can buy it online for $260. I can't understand why anyone would pay over list for a non-limited Swatch.

River Rat
DWC Tribal Council

Post by River Rat » Thu Mar 24, 2022 10:33 am

Personally, I like the real thing but got mine during the cheap days before vintage watch prices got out of hand. But this plastic thing could be a good beater where you can beat the shit out of it without worry.

jswing
Founder, TDWC MM300 Fan Club
Name: Jeff

Post by jswing » Thu Mar 24, 2022 10:47 am

River Rat wrote:
Thu Mar 24, 2022 10:33 am
Personally, I like the real thing but got mine during the cheap days before vintage watch prices got out of hand. But this plastic thing could be a good beater where you can beat the shit out of it without worry.
Me too Mike. I remember buying one new at an AD for $1600, now I think a basic hesalite Speedy is over $6K? Your Speedy is great, this Swatch thing is no substitute of course, just a fun novelty/beater. I can hardly even believe they're doing it, especially with such an iconic watch.

River Rat
DWC Tribal Council

Post by River Rat » Thu Mar 24, 2022 10:50 am

Think I paid 1400 at a NAWCC reginal remember the seller had 6 to pick from. Think mine was made in 1972 or 1973. Just glad I was not a flipper could not afford to replace anything in the collection I could not justify the price they sell for today.

DatN
Name: Rob

Post by DatN » Thu Mar 24, 2022 12:00 pm

$10,305 is current bid. 8 dumbasses so far

Jeep99dad
Grand-père
Name: Brice

Post by Jeep99dad » Thu Mar 24, 2022 12:28 pm

Bradystraps wrote:
Jeep99dad wrote:
Thu Mar 24, 2022 8:51 am
Only $260.
Will be available on line later on. Y’all don’t need it day 1. Image
They aren’t limited editions. Swatch is volume king anyway.

So let’s relax. I’m sure those who are interested will get one sooner or later. It’s a plastic watch not food or needed shot of insulin. Image

Didn’t think it was plastic. Image
I was exaggerating but it’s really not some super fancy Material at 260$.

Swatch's BioCeramic, which comprises a mix of ⅔ ceramic and ⅓ bio-derived plastic using the seeds of a castor plant.
Merde Alors! Et Vive Les Francais! :)

AtomicTom
Nuclear Personality!!!!
Name: Tom

Post by AtomicTom » Thu Mar 24, 2022 12:33 pm

This has to be one of the coolest Swatch releases when you think
about it. A lot of time watch companies will just make homages
to watches we all know, and love. But to see both a tribute, along
with entirely new watch created like this is great. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

It is almost like a dream actually. And check out all of the versions
in which they have. ..They even have a Pluto model which is out of
of this world ! :)

Want to thank you for the news Nick !!!

Jeep99dad
Grand-père
Name: Brice

Post by Jeep99dad » Thu Mar 24, 2022 12:38 pm

They’ll be available online Monday. So no rush to the nearest store and certainly don’t overpay
Merde Alors! Et Vive Les Francais! :)

logan2z
IT Admin
Name: Andrew

Post by logan2z » Thu Mar 24, 2022 12:53 pm

"BIOCERAMIC is a game-changing blend of ceramic and bio-sourced plastic"

https://www.swatch.com/en-us/bioceramic.html

watchingyou

Post by watchingyou » Thu Mar 24, 2022 1:05 pm

I just realized this, and no one mentioned it, that since they wanted to keep it true to the Speedy the watch has regular lugs to accommodate an aftermarket strap. Not the usual annoying swatch proprietary straps.
Ed -

raf42
Fister

Post by raf42 » Thu Mar 24, 2022 1:31 pm

I "liked" both my Speedys. First was a 43mm "transitional" co-axial that was reasonably thin (and had a date, which I wanted at the time), but wore a bit big. Second was the classic modern Hesalite version. Loved it, but it too felt just slightly big to me and traded it for a Diver 300M, which I still enjoy (though I occasionally do miss that Speedy).

I'll definitely buy the black dial version just to see what's up at that price, and to possibly quell the need for the occasional Speedy fix.

gwells
Name: Greg

Post by gwells » Thu Mar 24, 2022 1:52 pm

if i don't have to go to a store in the middle of the airport terminal to get one, i may try one out.

gr8sw
Name: Pedro

Post by gr8sw » Thu Mar 24, 2022 2:33 pm

I'm in at that price :thumbsup:

to the moon, Alice! :cheers:
‘I don’t worry about a thing, 'cause I know nothing’s gonna be alright’ Mose Allison

JP Chestnut

Post by JP Chestnut » Thu Mar 24, 2022 2:36 pm

raf42 wrote:
Thu Mar 24, 2022 1:31 pm
I "liked" both my Speedys. First was a 43mm "transitional" co-axial that was reasonably thin (and had a date, which I wanted at the time), but wore a bit big. Second was the classic modern Hesalite version. Loved it, but it too felt just slightly big to me and traded it for a Diver 300M, which I still enjoy (though I occasionally do miss that Speedy).

I'll definitely buy the black dial version just to see what's up at that price, and to possibly quell the need for the occasional Speedy fix.
I wonder if the version without the pusher guards would be just right for you? Wears like a full size watch, but slightly smaller than a Speedy Pro.

raf42
Fister

Post by raf42 » Thu Mar 24, 2022 3:47 pm

JP Chestnut wrote:
Thu Mar 24, 2022 2:36 pm
raf42 wrote:

I wonder if the version without the pusher guards would be just right for you? Wears like a full size watch, but slightly smaller than a Speedy Pro.
I tried one of those on Jacob, the "reduced" version if that's what you are referring to, and there was just something off about it. It's funny because I have no problem wearing a 44mm U1 Pro on bracelet, but the 42mm Speedy wasn't quite right for me either despite how much I liked it (since I was like 10 years old I lusted for *that* watch).

Problem is clearly between my ears.

r.palace

Post by r.palace » Thu Mar 24, 2022 3:56 pm

Jeep99dad wrote:They’ll be available online Monday. So no rush to the nearest store and certainly don’t overpay

Curious about this.
ImageImage
Many will register, few will last :htfu:

JP Chestnut

Post by JP Chestnut » Thu Mar 24, 2022 4:18 pm

raf42 wrote:
Thu Mar 24, 2022 3:47 pm
JP Chestnut wrote:
raf42 wrote:

I tried one of those on Jacob, the "reduced" version if that's what you are referring to, and there was just something off about it. It's funny because I have no problem wearing a 44mm U1 Pro on bracelet, but the 42mm Speedy wasn't quite right for me either despite how much I liked it (since I was like 10 years old I lusted for *that* watch).

The reduced is indeed funky. I was talking about the case they IIRC first used on the FOIS version: https://monochrome-watches.com/omega-sp ... d-tribute/

raf42
Fister

Post by raf42 » Thu Mar 24, 2022 5:06 pm

JP Chestnut wrote:
Thu Mar 24, 2022 4:18 pm
raf42 wrote:
Thu Mar 24, 2022 3:47 pm
JP Chestnut wrote:
raf42 wrote:

The reduced is indeed funky. I was talking about the case they IIRC first used on the FOIS version: https://monochrome-watches.com/omega-sp ... d-tribute/
Ah, yeah, never tried a FIOS. Maybe someday I'll try one on. Thanks.

Steve O.
Name: Uh, Steve

Post by Steve O. » Thu Mar 24, 2022 5:54 pm

There's currently a ridiculous debate about these watches on WUS right now...

https://www.watchuseek.com/threads/stol ... r.5392528/

For those who can't access WUS, from the OP: "This whole swatch moonSwatch debacle is nothing more than stolen valor. Swatch didn't exist when omega went to space or the moon and here they are stealing the notoriety that omega built."

It gets worse from there.
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things." - George Carlin

JP Chestnut

Post by JP Chestnut » Thu Mar 24, 2022 6:04 pm

Steve O. wrote:
Thu Mar 24, 2022 5:54 pm

For those who can't access WUS, from the OP: "This whole swatch moonSwatch debacle is nothing more than stolen valor. Swatch didn't exist when omega went to space or the moon and here they are stealing the notoriety that omega built."

Should somebody tell them that swatch and omega are the same company?

Steve O.
Name: Uh, Steve

Post by Steve O. » Thu Mar 24, 2022 6:18 pm

JP Chestnut wrote:
Thu Mar 24, 2022 6:04 pm
Steve O. wrote:
Thu Mar 24, 2022 5:54 pm

Should somebody tell them that swatch and omega are the same company?
That was brought up almost immediately. Didn't seem to make a difference. :raised:
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things." - George Carlin

amckiwi
Name: Stu

Post by amckiwi » Thu Mar 24, 2022 9:31 pm

I may go check these out tomorrow