Smartwatches: A Good Thing? Or Modern Day Quartz Crisis?

Come on in and introduce yourself!
General watch talk.
AtomicTom
Nuclear Personality!!!!
Name: Tom

Post by AtomicTom » Mon Apr 25, 2022 11:12 am

Guys, do you have any thoughts one way, or the other on smartwatches? :)

Do you think that smartwatches are a good thing for the hobby? Or
the watch industry? And actually can make people become interested
in watches more?

Or are they actually the new modern day quartz crisis?

One where traditional watches get ignored, or forgotten about by
more, and more people. It seems it depends on who you talk to
about it, but what do you think?

namor
Name: Seth

Re: Smartwatches: A Good Thing? Or Modern Day Quartz Crisis?

Post by namor » Mon Apr 25, 2022 11:53 am

My experience with the Apple watch is that it is a great device to wear - it allows you to make/take phone calls, read email, send/read texts, check the weather, monitor your heart, etc etc. All in a waterproof, go anywhere, easy to carry package .

It also tells you the time. But its not a watch as we know that word.
www.usmcscoutsniper.org - Life Member
“Qualified to deport with denizens of the deep, mermaids, and other inhabitants of the realm of Neptune.”

Henryj
Bubblehead
Name: Old guy

Post by Henryj » Mon Apr 25, 2022 12:53 pm

namor wrote:
Mon Apr 25, 2022 11:53 am
My experience with the Apple watch is that it is a great device to wear - it allows you to make/take phone calls, read email, send/read texts, check the weather, monitor your heart, etc etc. All in a waterproof, go anywhere, easy to carry package .

Basically, what he said. It’s useful for work but it comes off in favor of a Seiko as soon as I get home.
“Punishable by fine” = Legal for a price.”

tattoo chef
<Will Skull for Food>
Name: Don

Post by tattoo chef » Mon Apr 25, 2022 1:25 pm

I know many that wear one, and they are people who never wear a watch otherwise let alone being a watch nut etc.
They don’t think of it as a watch and have no intentions of getting a traditional watch at all. It’s just a way for them to track workouts and heartbeat, stay connected to socials and their friends etc.

Honestly, I can’t ever see anyone who owns one as their only “watch” ever pining for a traditional watch as the only things they have in common is that they go on the wrist.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

gonzomantis
Name: Mike

Post by gonzomantis » Mon Apr 25, 2022 4:56 pm

Personally, I hate them. I find it incredibly frustrating when you are trying to have a conversation with someone, and they stop mid-sentence to check their stupid smart watch.

HapaHapa
Name: Eric

Post by HapaHapa » Mon Apr 25, 2022 7:10 pm

gonzomantis wrote:
Mon Apr 25, 2022 4:56 pm
Personally, I hate them. I find it incredibly frustrating when you are trying to have a conversation with someone, and they stop mid-sentence to check their stupid smart watch.
^^^ This
The Hapa

BacoNoir
Name: Roger

Post by BacoNoir » Mon Apr 25, 2022 7:23 pm

namor wrote:My experience with the Apple watch is that it is a great device to wear - it allows you to make/take phone calls, read email, send/read texts, check the weather, monitor your heart, etc etc. All in a waterproof, go anywhere, easy to carry package .

I am a geek and wear both on opposite wrists. The Apple Watch monitors my blood sugar and allows me to run my DIY automatic pancreas system (Type 1 diabetic) from my wrist, and also serves as an activity tracker.

The watch, well that just for me. And for anyone who looks and thinks to themselves (no one’s said a word to my face) that I’m a geek, F- them. Their opinion is worth what I paid for it - zero!
Last edited by BacoNoir on Mon Apr 25, 2022 7:23 pm, edited 3 times in total.
www.simplynoble.net
Time Magazine Person of the Year - 2006

bedlam
Name: Carl

Post by bedlam » Mon Apr 25, 2022 7:27 pm

The last thing I want is to be more connected to the electronic leashes. Some people seem to like it, more power to them, but I think it comes with a cost. Either way I don't see it having much impact on watch wearing overall.

59yukon01
1.21 gigawatts?!
Name: David

Post by 59yukon01 » Mon Apr 25, 2022 8:03 pm

To each their own, but the last thing I want is something else to bug the shit out of me with notifications.

I'll never own one for sure.

dnslater
Name: Nick

Post by dnslater » Tue Apr 26, 2022 3:24 am

Most people that I see wearing smart watches, were not watch wearers previously, so I doubt it it eating into the luxury watch industry too much. Not that many people wear luxury watches these days.

During the quartz crisis, everyone owned/wore watches to tell the time so there was serious market share at stake.

Bob1035
Name: Rob not Bob

Post by Bob1035 » Tue Apr 26, 2022 5:47 am

I'm kind of ambivalent. I see them as the ultimate "tool" watch in regards to their functionality. At the same time, I'm much more interested in less connected, more mechanical things.

I don't think they are taking market share from "real" watches though, no more than the MoonSwatch is taking market share from "real" speedmasters :lol:

jswing
Founder, TDWC MM300 Fan Club
Name: Jeff

Post by jswing » Tue Apr 26, 2022 6:39 am

Some will cringe, but I wear both. I wear a fitness tracker on my right wrist, because I like the data it gives me, primarily heart rate, sleep score and workout data. I got the smallest, most discreet one I could find, and actually turned off most of the notifications, because I don't need a device to tell me my other device has a message for me. It used to bother me wearing both a real watch and the tracker, but I barely notice it any more, and I really don't want to give up either one.

Bob1035

Post by Bob1035 » Tue Apr 26, 2022 7:13 am

jswing wrote:
Tue Apr 26, 2022 6:39 am
Some will cringe, but I wear both. I wear a fitness tracker on my right wrist, because I like the data it gives me, primarily heart rate, sleep score and workout data. I got the smallest, most discreet one I could find, and actually turned off most of the notifications, because I don't need a device to tell me my other device has a message for me. It used to bother me wearing both a real watch and the tracker, but I barely notice it any more, and I really don't want to give up either one.
:cheers: Did we just become best friends????
IMG-4182.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

jswing
Founder, TDWC MM300 Fan Club
Name: Jeff

Post by jswing » Tue Apr 26, 2022 9:34 am

Bob1035 wrote:
Tue Apr 26, 2022 7:13 am
jswing wrote:

IMG-4182.JPG
There you go! :cheers:

Bob1035

Post by Bob1035 » Tue Apr 26, 2022 10:09 am

I actually use my garmin a slightly differently: fitness / sleep / breathing tracking / etc, but I keep notifications on mainly to leave my phone in my pocket, etc. Its also great as my HR monitor for peloton rides so I'm not strapping on my giant Fenix just to riding a bike in my bedroom

AtomicTom
Nuclear Personality!!!!
Name: Tom

Post by AtomicTom » Tue Apr 26, 2022 10:22 am

Wow, I was hoping you guys might enjoy this, and man, everyone
really knocked it out of the park. :) I find myself going back, and
forth all of the time on smartwatches. ..One day I see just how
great they are, as well as how they are so different than what we
might see as a classic watch, or watches. Having more in common
with a phone, or even something Dick Tracy, or Michael Night used. :thumbsup:
Then the next, I do see the fact that people do have them instead
of having a regular watch, or watches.

But at the end of the day, although I may not have one. ..I think
they just might be a good thing. Just because a lot of people who
have watches evidently enjoy really them, and who knows, maybe
smartwatches can, or do introduce the enjoyment of watches to
people. ;)

Can’t thank everyone enough for joining in on the conversation !!!

P.S. for fun...

unsub073
Name: chris

Post by unsub073 » Tue Apr 26, 2022 10:40 am

gonzomantis wrote:
Mon Apr 25, 2022 4:56 pm
100% this, but besides that, they are not for me. I barely take my cell phone with me anywhere to begin with, so having a smart watch for me would be pointless.

OrangeSport
Name: Jason

Post by OrangeSport » Tue Apr 26, 2022 11:05 am

Smart watches for not-so-smart people

My wife has one. I don't.

Erratic101
Name: Justyn

Post by Erratic101 » Tue Apr 26, 2022 1:52 pm

I wear my Garmin for workouts and when I go hiking. Wore it to work a few times, got more comments on that watch than any other I own . I stopped wearing it to work! Lol

apnk
Supergluing Miscreant
Name: Juan

Post by apnk » Tue Apr 26, 2022 2:06 pm

Besides the fitness tracking stuff, I don't get smart watches. To me they just seem like a short cut to your phone, that's already in your back pocket.

DenverBuff
Name: Vic

Post by DenverBuff » Tue Apr 26, 2022 2:57 pm

Bob1035 wrote:
Tue Apr 26, 2022 7:13 am
jswing wrote:

IMG-4182.JPG
I've got one of these too, as well as a Garmin Instinct solar watch. I wear the Instinct as a "stand alone" watch all the time, but I don't consider it a true "smartwatch". The Instinct is rugged as hell, and goes days - weeks - without a charge. I turn off all the notifications and I find it gives my G Shocks a serious run for their money. If you are into fitness tracking at all, Garmin pretty much rules the roost. But even if you're not, I find them infinitely more practical than an Apple watch. I hate those things.

Blaine
Name: Blaine

Post by Blaine » Tue Apr 26, 2022 3:04 pm

My son bought me a Garmin 62s for Xmas. It’s primarily a golf watch, which is terrific, with the added benefits for working out activities to include; biking, swimming, walking etc. It does notify me of incoming calls, emails and text. It took a little getting used too, but it will never replace my day to day watches.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

amckiwi
Name: Stu

Post by amckiwi » Tue Apr 26, 2022 4:51 pm

I have no use for one but have plenty of mates who seem to find it useful

The planned obsolescence thing also troubles me
I buy my watches for life or however long my attention span is

MDF
Name: Mark

Post by MDF » Wed Apr 27, 2022 11:46 am

I do love my Apple Watch 6 with cellular but that doesn’t mean I got rid of my watch collection, what I wish Apple would do is create a small comfortable health tracking/electronic payment device that would attach farther up your arm hidden under your sleeve with enhanced Siri with more commands but they never will. My smartwatch is just in my watch rotation but I know that defeats the health tracking data trends etc. - oh well.
Regards,

Mark

HapaHapa
Name: Eric

Post by HapaHapa » Wed Apr 27, 2022 3:01 pm

MDF wrote:
Wed Apr 27, 2022 11:46 am
I do love my Apple Watch 6 with cellular but that doesn’t mean I got rid of my watch collection, what I wish Apple would do is create a small comfortable health tracking/electronic payment device that would attach farther up your arm hidden under your sleeve with enhanced Siri with more commands but they never will. My smartwatch is just in my watch rotation but I know that defeats the health tracking data trends etc. - oh well.
Do you want an armpit device? I guess you wear long sleeves, so you can tuck it in next to your derringer.
The Hapa