Paypal and Funds on Hold- a little help..

Come on in and introduce yourself!
General watch talk.
jimyritz
Masshole
Name: Mike

Paypal and Funds on Hold- a little help..

Post by jimyritz » Wed May 18, 2022 9:25 am

HI Guys,

Wondering if you can help with this? I sold a watch via Paypal and the funds were immediately put on hold. I input my tracking and then paypal waits for the buyer to confirm receipt.

The buyer was not home when USPS delivered so now I am waiting for him to pick up the watch and confirm receipt.

Frustrating for me as I have no access to the money. When I was discussing this with paypal the guy said the buyer chose this; it's an option.

Is that true? At this point, I am at the mercy of the buyer. Paypal can see the package was delivered...

Any thoughts or comments?

Thanks
Mike

tattoo chef
<Will Skull for Food>
Name: Don

Re: Paypal and Funds on Hold- a little help..

Post by tattoo chef » Wed May 18, 2022 9:35 am

I have never seen or heard of that that funds can be put on hold at request of buyer. It’s usually a PayPal issue, like you haven’t sold in awhile or they feel it’s an unusual transaction etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

hoppyjr
HJ
Name: Hoppy

Post by hoppyjr » Wed May 18, 2022 9:51 am

Sorry this is happening, but it’s yet another reminder to avoid PayPal outside of the Band of Dickheads here.

jimyritz
Masshole

Post by jimyritz » Wed May 18, 2022 9:57 am

tattoo chef wrote:
Wed May 18, 2022 9:35 am
I have never seen or heard of that that funds can be put on hold at request of buyer. It’s usually a PayPal issue, like you haven’t sold in awhile or they feel it’s an unusual transaction etc.

That's what I thought, but I've been messaging with customer support and the guy said, "it's what the customer chose"...Regardless funds should be released upon delivery---it's the buyer's issue if he is home or not, not mine.

Thanks for the help.

Mike

jimyritz
Masshole

Post by jimyritz » Wed May 18, 2022 9:59 am

hoppyjr wrote:
Wed May 18, 2022 9:51 am
Sorry this is happening, but it’s yet another reminder to avoid PayPal outside of the Band of Dickheads here.
Exactly, I spent extra money to send to him overnight---what the heck was I thinking :raised: :think: :smack:

hoppyjr
HJ
Name: Hoppy

Post by hoppyjr » Wed May 18, 2022 10:00 am

jimyritz wrote:
hoppyjr wrote:
Wed May 18, 2022 9:51 am
Exactly, I spent extra money to send to him overnight---what the heck was I thinking :raised: :think: :smack:
Punch yourself in the sack and stand in corner for 20 min.

Morethan1
Frequent bumper of posts
Name: Alex

Post by Morethan1 » Wed May 18, 2022 10:06 am

This is new. Paypal started doing this to me as well. I have had several calls with them telling them to remove the hold on funds. No success yet. Only way to not have a hold is to receive as F&F.

Ryeguy
Name: Chris

Post by Ryeguy » Wed May 18, 2022 10:18 am

Weird. I wonder if this only happens when you put in the tracking number to the PayPal transaction?

I've actually never added the tracking number to the PayPal transaction record. I take photographs of the packed watch, the box, and the shipping label and send those to my buyer directly via email.

I think the "hold funds until receipt" would only work if you put in the tracking number.

jimyritz
Masshole

Post by jimyritz » Wed May 18, 2022 10:36 am

Ryeguy wrote:
Wed May 18, 2022 10:18 am
Weird. I wonder if this only happens when you put in the tracking number to the PayPal transaction?

I've actually never added the tracking number to the PayPal transaction record. I take photographs of the packed watch, the box, and the shipping label and send those to my buyer directly via email.

I think the "hold funds until receipt" would only work if you put in the tracking number.
------------------------------
Interesting, as if you don't put tracking in it says it's for a service. Paypal keeps telling me they have my back and not to worry. My point to them is that the watch has been shipped and delivery was attempted- which they can verify. I don't get the money until the buyer goes in and confirms receipt. Absolute BS... :scream:

gwells
Name: Greg

Post by gwells » Wed May 18, 2022 11:28 am

that's messed up if the buyer can create their own terms w/o the seller agreeing to them, too.

i'm fine with that being an option, but then the seller should be allowed to reject those terms.

toxicavenger
President Tranny
Name: HeadDIK

Post by toxicavenger » Wed May 18, 2022 4:39 pm

that is some whack shit. i have only had this happen if the buyer is not verified. so made them wait until the funds cleared. maybe this is some new r-tard shit payturd came up with.

blkgsl
Herro!!!
Name: blkgsl

Post by blkgsl » Wed May 18, 2022 10:02 pm

jimyritz wrote:
tattoo chef wrote:

That's what I thought, but I've been messaging with customer support and the guy said, "it's what the customer chose"...Regardless funds should be released upon delivery---it's the buyer's issue if he is home or not, not mine.

Thanks for the help.

Mike
Perhaps something lost in translation from the PayPal support rep. The buyer chose goods and services; PayPal algorithm held the money based on their risk assessment.

You may be able to call multiple times until you get a support rep who escalates to get the hold removed. But by then your buyer may have marked transaction as “good” anyway.

Bottom line, agree with Hops Image.

demer03
Current Forecast: Vintage Doxa

Post by demer03 » Thu May 19, 2022 2:52 am

Changes to PayPal have made it unusable. I’ve had this happen as well. F&F only now and only from known individuals.
Old Michigan steams like a young man's dreams
The islands and bays are for sportsmen

jimyritz
Masshole

Post by jimyritz » Thu May 19, 2022 4:39 am

blkgsl wrote:
Wed May 18, 2022 10:02 pm
jimyritz wrote:
tattoo chef wrote:

Thanks for the help.

Mike
Perhaps something lost in translation from the PayPal support rep. The buyer chose goods and services; PayPal algorithm held the money based on their risk assessment.

You may be able to call multiple times until you get a support rep who escalates to get the hold removed. But by then your buyer may have marked transaction as “good” anyway.

Bottom line, agree with Hops Image.
==========================================

Thanks Zack, you're probably right--- I tried to ask the support rep 3 or 4 different ways because I think like you said, they set the terms. However, all I got back was the buyer chose this. I thought I'd be nice and send the watch overnight to him (Bos to Cali)....He confirmed receipt this morning. I am done with Paypal....

jimyritz
Masshole

Post by jimyritz » Thu May 19, 2022 4:43 am

toxicavenger wrote:
Wed May 18, 2022 4:39 pm
that is some whack shit. i have only had this happen if the buyer is not verified. so made them wait until the funds cleared. maybe this is some new r-tard shit payturd came up with.
===========================
Not sure how they view a "risky" transaction...they said I would get my money by June 4, like, no big deal...WTF!

jimyritz
Masshole

Post by jimyritz » Thu May 19, 2022 4:46 am

gwells wrote:
Wed May 18, 2022 11:28 am
that's messed up if the buyer can create their own terms w/o the seller agreeing to them, too.

i'm fine with that being an option, but then the seller should be allowed to reject those terms.
=========================
Yeah, I just think the transaction should be confirmed upon delivery...not waiting until the buyer gets around to confirming and you cannot confirm via the App- you have to log in to paypal. Not thought out well enough.

watches503
Name: Luis

Post by watches503 » Thu May 19, 2022 5:31 am

That’s standard on PayPal accounts with less than 20-25 Goods & Services sales for our protection. You won’t have to go through that every time.

Mr_Pacman
Name: James

Post by Mr_Pacman » Thu May 19, 2022 11:32 am

I've purchased 5 things via Paypal this week and haven't been given any type of formal option to hold the funds. Maybe it's a USA thing

Morethan1
Frequent bumper of posts

Post by Morethan1 » Thu May 19, 2022 12:38 pm

watches503 wrote:
Thu May 19, 2022 5:31 am
That’s standard on PayPal accounts with less than 20-25 Goods & Services sales for our protection. You won’t have to go through that every time.
I've had my account for 10 years... more than 25 goods sales....

tattoo chef
<Will Skull for Food>
Name: Don

Post by tattoo chef » Thu May 19, 2022 1:01 pm

Morethan1 wrote:
watches503 wrote:
In a year? I think that’s what it goes by.

Morethan1
Frequent bumper of posts

Post by Morethan1 » Fri May 20, 2022 6:11 am

in a year... aha, was missing that part

watches503
Name: Luis

Post by watches503 » Sun May 22, 2022 5:36 pm

Morethan1 wrote:
watches503 wrote:
Yeah that’s odd.

petethegreek
Name: Pete

Post by petethegreek » Sun May 22, 2022 7:18 pm

Happened to me and it all worked out fine. I shipped the watch and the entered the tracking info. into PayPal. Once the seller acknowledged receipt of the watch, funds were removed from the hold. This was the first time I’ve had to deal with this before…15 years or so with PayPal. It was odd but wasn’t all that bad since I didn’t need to draw funds immediately. There should be some limit on the buyer confirming after delivery.

Buyers seem to get screwed more than sellers via PayPal…which is probably why this new procedure is occurring.

ncstate1201
Name: Geoff B

Post by ncstate1201 » Mon May 23, 2022 6:57 pm

One time I bought something and funds were put on hold. I called PayPal and they said while there is a risk assessment it can also be some type of random audit process they have.. I kept following up eventually they were released. In this case the hold was placed before seller shipped and he waited until they cleared before mailing. He was not worried and had seen this before so he was not concerned and ended up being a good seller.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

freeorange
Name: Peter Cooney

Post by freeorange » Tue May 24, 2022 8:34 am

I really don't like the way paypal do this. Ultimately though, if the tracking clearly proves it was delivered, you should be ok. Maybe reach out to the receiver and get them to close the case,