Apple made a dive watch?

Come on in and introduce yourself!
General watch talk.
59yukon01
1.21 gigawatts?!
Name: David

Re: Apple made a dive watch?

Post by 59yukon01 » Thu Sep 08, 2022 7:17 pm

Nope........ I'm not sticking anything on my wrist I have to keep charged.

Always had an Android and not an Apple fan anyway.

tyd450
Name: Tyler

Post by tyd450 » Thu Sep 08, 2022 11:25 pm

I dunno I mean I think it looks cool and I get it but these days I'm more likely to downgrade my smart phone to a flip phone than put something on my wrist that's going to distract me even more with notifications and other bullshit.

HapaHapa
Name: Eric

Post by HapaHapa » Fri Sep 09, 2022 7:54 am

Honey, why are you filling the bathtub?
The Hapa

DenverBuff
Name: Vic

Post by DenverBuff » Fri Sep 09, 2022 8:42 am

I'm an Android guy AND a Garmin geek - I've got both a Fenix 7 and an 1st gen Instinct. So the Apple diver won't be on my list, BUT . . .

Apple is clearly aiming a cannon at Garmins balls with this. Garmin has always marketed itself as selling outdoor fitness devices with smart watch features. Garmin: "Apple watches? Please. It's an IPhone on your wrist - not for serious outdoor enthusiasts. "

Apple just threw a heavy punch at Garmin's market share. I'm looking forward to Garmin's response.

Skinny Rogers
Name: Lance

Post by Skinny Rogers » Fri Sep 09, 2022 12:06 pm

I ordered my wife a new Apple Watch yesterday and still have this one sitting in my cart.

I have always avoided smartwatches but this one has me wanting.

I think apple is on to something…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Panerai7
Name: Art

Post by Panerai7 » Fri Sep 09, 2022 1:07 pm

DenverBuff wrote:
Fri Sep 09, 2022 8:42 am
I'm an Android guy AND a Garmin geek - I've got both a Fenix 7 and an 1st gen Instinct. So the Apple diver won't be on my list, BUT . . .

Apple is clearly aiming a cannon at Garmins balls with this. Garmin has always marketed itself as selling outdoor fitness devices with smart watch features. Garmin: "Apple watches? Please. It's an IPhone on your wrist - not for serious outdoor enthusiasts. "

Apple just threw a heavy punch at Garmin's market share. I'm looking forward to Garmin's response.
If I were selling $1500 digital watches based on some pseudo military valor and called them Phoenix Ashes or whatever I’d be buying a box of Depends when I saw Ultra announcement.
For instance this watch pictured below that I tried for $400 and returned immediately was an amateur shitshow compared to a regular Apple Watch. Ultra is going to be a beast!

toxicavenger
President Tranny
Name: HeadDIK

Post by toxicavenger » Fri Sep 09, 2022 4:14 pm

ChuckW wrote:
Thu Sep 08, 2022 6:19 pm
toxicavenger wrote:
Thu Sep 08, 2022 4:25 pm
looks ghey
So you're getting one, right?
3 of them :cheers:

toxicavenger
President Tranny

Post by toxicavenger » Fri Sep 09, 2022 4:16 pm

Panerai7 wrote:
Fri Sep 09, 2022 1:07 pm
I were selling $1500 digital watches based on some pseudo military valor and called them Phoenix Ashes or whatever I’d be buying a box of Depends when I saw Ultra announcement
hahaha so true :roll:

dnslater
Name: Nick

Post by dnslater » Fri Sep 09, 2022 5:53 pm

toxicavenger wrote:
Fri Sep 09, 2022 4:16 pm
Panerai7 wrote:
I were selling $1500 digital watches based on some pseudo military valor and called them Phoenix Ashes or whatever I’d be buying a box of Depends when I saw Ultra announcement

I run with a Garmin Instinct and feel like I need to break out the user manual to do all but the most basic functions. Never tried an Apple Watch but if they can bring an intuitive interface to this market they will have a winner.

toxicavenger
President Tranny

Post by toxicavenger » Fri Sep 09, 2022 7:38 pm

i just saw the price

fing more ghey than i thought

bedlam
Name: Carl

Post by bedlam » Fri Sep 09, 2022 9:31 pm

gwells wrote:
Thu Sep 08, 2022 11:21 am
honestly, if they're truly useful as dive computers, then it's the dive computer market that should be worried.

i haven't read up on the features, but if it's just a dive timer with a depth meter, then it's still really just a backup to a real dive computer and only slightly more useful than a traditional dive watch. if it's capable of logging dives and managing them like a real dive computer, that's kinda cool.
It's running the Buhlmann deco algorithm too, which is a super good choice. Serious dive computer makers will not care, but companies like Suunto will potentially take a huge hit.

Wario406
Name: Mike

Post by Wario406 » Sat Sep 10, 2022 6:05 am

dnslater wrote:
toxicavenger wrote:
Fri Sep 09, 2022 4:16 pm
Panerai7 wrote:

I run with a Garmin Instinct and feel like I need to break out the user manual to do all but the most basic functions. Never tried an Apple Watch but if they can bring an intuitive interface to this market they will have a winner.
The Apple interface is dope. They are super easy to use. They’ve got that nails and I predict the Ultra is gonna be a real winner.

It is better to know how to learn than to know.
Dr. Seuss

Skinny Rogers
Name: Lance

Post by Skinny Rogers » Sat Sep 10, 2022 2:17 pm

Well I broke down and ordered one.

I need to see what it’s all about.

spring-diver
Name: Shannon

Post by spring-diver » Sat Sep 10, 2022 4:32 pm

I dig it. Titanium, sapphire, 100m and some cool looking straps.
I’m going to check it out on the 23rd.
Seiko: SBDB001, SBDX001, SRP777

Sinn: EZM9, T1, T1B, 836 & 857S

:cheers:

Bob1035
Name: Rob not Bob

Post by Bob1035 » Sat Sep 10, 2022 6:35 pm

I have and like my Fenix 6 for MTB, running, hiking and actually prefer the button UI. Took a little getting used to but I'm over the hump with that. Not planning on replacing it with this Ultra just because it's the hot new thing
. Maybe when there's an Ultra 3 once all the early adopters have beta tested them 🤪

Panerai7

Post by Panerai7 » Sat Sep 10, 2022 7:16 pm

Bob1035 wrote:
Sat Sep 10, 2022 6:35 pm
I have and like my Fenix 6 for MTB, running, hiking and actually prefer the button UI. Took a little getting used to but I'm over the hump with that. Not planning on replacing it with this Ultra just because it's the hot new thing
. Maybe when there's an Ultra 3 once all the early adopters have beta tested them 🤪
It’s Apple Watch #8 lol what beta testing :)

gwells
Name: Greg

Post by gwells » Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:30 pm

well, to be fair, it's beta testing the dive functions. but most of the rest has been around for a while.

bedlam
Name: Carl

Post by bedlam » Sat Sep 10, 2022 9:27 pm

Panerai7 wrote:
Sat Sep 10, 2022 7:16 pm
Bob1035 wrote:
The dive functions are likely to need refinement. Same thing happened to Garmin - they released a dive computer and 12months later an upgraded version to fix all the bugs that arose with use.

There are already things like air integration that are likely to be added down the track (I wouldn't bother with it even as a recreational computer if it doesn't get AI).

tattoo chef
<Will Skull for Food>
Name: Don

Post by tattoo chef » Sun Sep 11, 2022 4:50 am

bedlam wrote:
Panerai7 wrote:
Sat Sep 10, 2022 7:16 pm
Bob1035 wrote:
. Maybe when there's an Ultra 3 once all the early adopters have beta tested them Image
The dive functions are likely to need refinement. Same thing happened to Garmin - they released a dive computer and 12months later an upgraded version to fix all the bugs that arose with use.

There are already things like air integration that are likely to be added down the track (I wouldn't bother with it even as a recreational computer if it doesn't get AI).
Well, after reading, the dive functions all come from an app, not from software or hardware on the watch, so it would just need updates to the app to more features correct? Weird that it’s an $800 “dive” watch and that you have to pay $80 a year to actually use the dive functionality as the app is a subscription.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Panerai7

Post by Panerai7 » Sun Sep 11, 2022 5:30 am

I dive as much as I measure lap times with my Daytona or fly to the moon with Speedmaster. So that makes no difference to me. The rest will run circles around any smartwatch from Garmin. The Garmin that I tried was slightly better than 100$ Casio and had connectivity issues and notification delays, with Ultra I can go to the gym with just the watch on and it’ll open and start my car, connect to cellular, answer and make emergency phone calls, help me buy a bottle of water if I need an extra one, survive swimming pool and measure all my vitals.
If I were Garmin I’d be dusting off Exit Strategy they used killing portable GPS units business or figure out more ways to appeal to tacticool rednecks. I know, How about making an all black plastic version and leave all button markings unpainted. Call it tactical edition and charge $100 more 😂

ds760476
Name: Devon

Post by ds760476 » Sun Sep 11, 2022 12:02 pm

I'm into it, although I'm kind of a cheapskate, so I'll need to try one on before I shell out.

tattoo chef
<Will Skull for Food>
Name: Don

Post by tattoo chef » Sun Sep 11, 2022 12:27 pm

So I’m still not the target audience but I was looking into all that Apple Watches and realized the stainless steel models, which have sapphire as well, run $699-$799 as well, and with this Ultra you’re getting a bigger screen, more functions, more water resistance and more battery. And it’s titanium. It’s not that bad a price really.

gwells
Name: Greg

Post by gwells » Sun Sep 11, 2022 1:44 pm

agreed. we don't dive enough to justify a "subscription" for it. that would make this a nogo for me.

hoppyjr
HJ
Name: Hoppy

Apple made a dive watch?

Post by hoppyjr » Sun Sep 11, 2022 1:53 pm

tattoo chef wrote:So I’m still not the target audience but I was looking into all that Apple Watches and realized the stainless steel models, which have sapphire as well, run $699-$799 as well, and with this Ultra you’re getting a bigger screen, more functions, more water resistance and more battery. And it’s titanium. It’s not that bad a price really.

This is exactly how I see it. ^^^

The fact remains that if you never use the Dave computer function, this is a better Apple Watch for those who have the wrist to handle the size. It’s more future rich, titanium construction, and almost the same cost. I’m not ready to make the move to a watch that needs charging, but if I were this would be the watch.

spring-diver
Name: Shannon

Apple made a dive watch?

Post by spring-diver » Fri Sep 23, 2022 9:40 pm

Ok, these are pretty cool Image

They’re pretty big too.

Nobody in the store knew what grade titanium they’re using either. I’m guessing grade 2?

The bead blasted finish is very nice and there is the slightest polished chamfer on the edge near the crystal.

I’m digging the Alpine Loop strap. I has nice little stretch to it, very comfortable.

Definitely the first Apple Watch I would consider.

Maybe next pay check ImageImage
Seiko: SBDB001, SBDX001, SRP777

Sinn: EZM9, T1, T1B, 836 & 857S

:cheers: