“Explorer” style watches. What do you recommend?

Come on in and introduce yourself!
General watch talk.
Bob1035
Name: Rob not Bob

Re: “Explorer” style watches. What do you recommend?

Post by Bob1035 » Sat Dec 17, 2022 4:07 am

Very cool!

justsellbrgs
Name: John

Post by justsellbrgs » Sat Dec 17, 2022 7:36 am

TRASKA SUMMITEER...

check out the model and the hardening process..... quality is very good.
"Go forth, my progeny, grab the world by the balls, squeeze hard and shake vigorously." J. Koch (aka "Swedefreak")

JDC222
Demander of Intro Threads
Name: Dave

Post by JDC222 » Sat Dec 17, 2022 7:54 am

justsellbrgs wrote:TRASKA SUMMITEER...

check out the model and the hardening process..... quality is very good.
Whisky has killed more men than bullets, but most men would rather be full of whisky than bullets.
Winston Churchill.

CarloDWC
Name: Carlo

Post by CarloDWC » Sun Dec 18, 2022 10:34 am

My Explorer type watch is a customized watch with 200m WR, thick Sapphire and readable dial. This particular one is essentially an SKX with the crown at 3:

IMG_6519.jpg
IMG_6520.jpg
IMG_6521.jpg
IMG_6530.jpg
IMG_6533.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Wario406
Name: Mike

Post by Wario406 » Sun Dec 18, 2022 10:55 am

CarloDWC wrote:My Explorer type watch is a customized watch with 200m WR, thick Sapphire and readable dial. This particular one is essentially an SKX with the crown at 3:

IMG_6519.jpg
IMG_6520.jpg
IMG_6521.jpg
IMG_6530.jpg
IMG_6533.jpg
That Unimatic was pretty hot…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It is better to know how to learn than to know.
Dr. Seuss

CarloDWC
Name: Carlo

Post by CarloDWC » Sun Dec 18, 2022 11:01 am

Thank you.

I also have this one which I consider being Explorer style which is an SKX with a smooth bezel and MKII dial/hands plus thick sapphire and drilled through lugs.

IMG_5481.jpg
IMG_5483.jpg
IMG_5484.jpg
IMG_5487.jpg
IMG_5489.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Wario406

Post by Wario406 » Fri Dec 23, 2022 9:03 pm

CarloDWC wrote:Thank you.

I also have this one which I consider being Explorer style which is an SKX with a smooth bezel and MKII dial/hands plus thick sapphire and drilled through lugs.

IMG_5481.jpg
IMG_5483.jpg
IMG_5484.jpg
IMG_5487.jpg
IMG_5489.jpg

Very cool Carlo. You gave a good eye.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dr. Seuss

Wario406

Post by Wario406 » Tue Jan 10, 2023 1:12 pm

The SARG009 arrived - I love the look. It’s no Ranger, but it has it’s own vibe in a good way. Need to see how it works out from a reliability and accuracy perspective.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Dr. Seuss

Wario406

Post by Wario406 » Mon Mar 20, 2023 12:28 pm

Im happy to say that Im closing out this thread now…

I have learned SO MUCH through this process through the deep advice and friendship of DWC BOD’s, and about the watches themselves.

My personal journey ends with ownership of a Tudor Ranger 79550-001 and I cant be happier. It’s the watch I should have bought first but didnt because I thought I could maybe find a less expensive and equally fulfilling Explorer watch - I was wrong in this case, but my path was fun, educational, and expensive.

In retrospect, here are my learnings:

- I could have been even more deliberate in my decisions. I bought a very nice Monta Triumph and the SARG thinking that I could buy two watches for less than the cost of a Ranger. Owning two nice watches that dont completely fit my requirements are no competition to one watch that drives a hole through the center of the target.

- Purchasing a used watch can be unpredictable. Im VERY disappointed in the fact that my SARG009 ran like crap and needed to be refurbished by Seiko. This is my third “lemon” in two years. Im also sad about how much time it took to get that watch sorted out. This frustration had an impact on me and spoiled me from wanting to keep/wear the SARG even though it now runs perfect.

It’s on eBay now - so let me know if one of you wants it for a BoD price. It runs great and is a full kit. Just not my cup of tea anymore after wearing my Ranger.

- The watch market is PACKED with so many offerings in each space (sport/diver/dress/chrono/etc…) and so many watches have so many similar specs yet each has a twist that make them different. These factors make selecting just “one” watch while sitting on a sofa in Colorado almost impossible. I’m looking forward to more in person meet-ups to hopefully be able to see watches in person, try them on, and get some face to face input. The DWC flip dance is fun, but it can also be expensive (especially in todays sellers market).

- Abiding by “Buy once, cry once” could have saved me both time and money.

- The DWC community is awesome. I am so grateful for the advice and support I get here both in threads as well as behind the scenes. This group makes watch ownership fun and fulfilling. I learn something new here everyday and cant tell you folks how much I appreciate you!

Putting closure on this - thanks for being there for me on this journey!

Last edited by Wario406 on Mon Mar 20, 2023 12:28 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Dr. Seuss

ezcheese
Cheese Connoisseur
Name: Derek

Post by ezcheese » Mon Mar 20, 2023 12:34 pm

Can't wait till you finally trade up for an actual explorer :popcorn:
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Wario406

Post by Wario406 » Mon Mar 20, 2023 12:45 pm

ezcheese wrote:Can't wait till you finally trade up for an actual explorer :popcorn:

Oh no you didnt!!!!

Im not worried - I’d need someone to drop a shit-ton f’-u money in my bank to make that happen.
Last edited by Wario406 on Mon Mar 20, 2023 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dr. Seuss

ezcheese
Cheese Connoisseur
Name: Derek

Post by ezcheese » Mon Mar 20, 2023 12:48 pm

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

AranaWhite
Name: Cameron

Post by AranaWhite » Mon Mar 20, 2023 1:20 pm

:grin: By once cry once
1st dibs on the Ranger.

It is fascinating how similar they can be, but those design tweaks and twists draw a sharp preference. I'm happy you're satisfied,,,for now.

tmw
Name: The Enabler

Post by tmw » Mon Mar 20, 2023 1:43 pm

Wario406 wrote:
Mon Mar 20, 2023 12:28 pm

I have learned SO MUCH through this process both about the deep advice and friendship of DWC BOD’s and about the watches themselves.

My personal journey ends with ownership of a Tudor Ranger 79550-001 and I cant be happier. It’s the watch I should have bought first but didnt because I thought I could maybe find a less expensive and equally fulfilling Explorer watch - I was wrong in this case, but my path was fun, educational, and expensive.

- I could have been even more deliberate in my decisions. I bought a very nice Monta Triumph and the SARG thinking that I could buy two watches for less than the cost of a Ranger. Owning two nice watches that dont completely fit my requirements are no competition to one watch that drives a hole through the center of the target.

- Purchasing a used watch can be unpredictable. Im VERY disappointed in the fact that my SARG009 ran like crap and needed to be refurbished by Seiko. This is my second “lemon” in two years. Im also sad about how much time it took to get that watch sorted out. This frustration had an impact on me and spoiled me from wanting to keep/wear the SARG even though it now runs perfect.

It’s on eBay now - so let me know if one of you wants it for a BoD price. It runs great and is a full kit. Just not my cup of tea anymore after wearing my Ranger.

- The watch market is PACKED with so many offerings in each space (sport/diver/dress/chrono/etc…) and so many watches have so many similar specs yet each has a twist that make them different. These factors make selecting just “one” watch while sitting on a sofa in Colorado is almost impossible. I’m looking forward to more in person meet-ups to hopefully be able to see watches in person, try them on, and get some face to face input. The DWC flip dance is fun, but it can also be expensive (especially in todays sellers market).

- The DWC community is awesome. I am so grateful for the advice and support I got here both in threads as well as behind the scenes. This group makes watch ownership fun and fulfilling. I learn something new here everyday and cant tell you folks how much I appreciate you!

So glad you got it! It was fun. And we have all had the journey.

You know....Tudor is the entry drug to rolex.

Explorer here we come! And this comes from a guy who has had the ranger, every other explorer style watch....and now has a 36 and 39mm explorer. And still have a triumph. LOL.
Stan, don’t you know the first law of physics? Anything that’s fun costs at least eight dollars”
-- Eric Cartman

“To absent friends, lost loves, old gods, and the season of mists; and may each and every one of us always give the devil his due.”
― Neil Gaiman, The Sandman

I bought a cheap watch from a crazy man
Floating down canal
It doesn't use numbers or moving hands
It always just says now
Now you may be thinking that I was had
But this watch is never wrong
And If I have trouble the warranty said
Breathe In, Breathe Out, Move On

- Jimmy Buffett

Wario406

Post by Wario406 » Mon Mar 20, 2023 6:24 pm

tmw wrote:
Wario406 wrote:

I have learned SO MUCH through this process both about the deep advice and friendship of DWC BOD’s and about the watches themselves.

- Purchasing a used watch can be unpredictable. Im VERY disappointed in the fact that my SARG009 ran like crap and needed to be refurbished by Seiko. This is my second “lemon” in two years. Im also sad about how much time it took to get that watch sorted out. This frustration had an impact on me and spoiled me from wanting to keep/wear the SARG even though it now runs perfect.

- The watch market is PACKED with so many offerings in each space (sport/diver/dress/chrono/etc…) and so many watches have so many similar specs yet each has a twist that make them different. These factors make selecting just “one” watch while sitting on a sofa in Colorado is almost impossible. I’m looking forward to more in person meet-ups to hopefully be able to see watches in person, try them on, and get some face to face input. The DWC flip dance is fun, but it can also be expensive (especially in todays sellers market).

- The DWC community is awesome. I am so grateful for the advice and support I got here both in threads as well as behind the scenes. This group makes watch ownership fun and fulfilling. I learn something new here everyday and cant tell you folks how much I appreciate you!

Explorer here we come! And this comes from a guy who has had the ranger, every other explorer style watch....and now has a 36 and 39mm explorer. And still have a triumph. LOL.
Dear Enabler - you’re a wonderful madman!

If I ever got an explorer - I think I’d want the 39. But, a used one is 3x-4x what I paid for my Ranger (which I love). And, my next quest is a Navitimer.

I don’t see me getting one anytime soon, but you f’ers are pretty convincing so I’m not counting it out.
Dr. Seuss

deepcdvr
Flipper Extraordinaire
Name: Paul

Post by deepcdvr » Mon Mar 20, 2023 7:07 pm

Great story and very cool piece. Congrats! :cheers:
VR/
Paul

SI VI PACEM, PARA BELLUM

hoppyjr
HJ
Name: Hoppy

Post by hoppyjr » Tue Mar 21, 2023 12:19 am

Wario406 wrote:
tmw wrote:
Wario406 wrote:

Dear Enabler - you’re a wonderful madman!

If I ever got an explorer - I think I’d want the 39. But, a used one is 3x-4x what I paid for my Ranger (which I love). And, my next quest is a Navitimer.

I don’t see me getting one anytime soon, but you f’ers are pretty convincing so I’m not counting it out.
I’ve owned both the 36 & 39 Explorer, the latter being my favorite.

Honestly, since I don’t have a bag of extra cash sitting around I’m very content with the Ranger. It has the better clasp, plus I feel the dial and all brushed finish is more true to the original Explorer.

Both the Ranger and 39mm Explorer would be ideal, but the Ranger can make a watch guy very happy.