Stolen watch alert! Halios Universa #32

Come on in and introduce yourself!
General watch talk.
toxicavenger
President Tranny
Name: HeadDIK

Stolen watch alert! Halios Universa #32

Post by toxicavenger » Sun Jan 29, 2023 5:30 pm

Hey guys keep an eye for this watch. The guy who stole it from the seller has reposted it on the forums under a few different user names. The seller used Paypal F&F and the buyer used credit card charge back after he accept delivery of the watch to get his money back.

Here is some info: https://www.reddit.com/r/Watchexchange/ ... kit_strap/
https://www.reddit.com/r/WatchExchangeF ... entoof_he/

User names used so far:
elmovientoof,
miwatchtown

The second user name Imgur pics that were posted are attached.

Thanks guys!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ChuckW
Name: Chuck

Re: Stolen watch alert! Halios Universa #32

Post by ChuckW » Sun Jan 29, 2023 7:27 pm

I've heard of charge backs done with PP f&f. The seller probably figured that kind of transaction was worry free, but now he won't be able to get PayPal to intercede on a deal that violates their terms of service.
No, it's not Tourettes.

sierra11b
Name: Eric

Post by sierra11b » Sun Jan 29, 2023 7:44 pm

We're going to have to go back to risking mailing greenbacks if <$1000.

tyd450
Name: Tyler

Post by tyd450 » Sun Jan 29, 2023 8:16 pm

yeah to be honest paypal f&f is probably more risky for a seller than goods and services

hoppyjr
HJ
Name: Hoppy

Post by hoppyjr » Sun Jan 29, 2023 9:02 pm

No PayPal unless it’s one of you dickheads.

Ryeguy
Name: Chris

Post by Ryeguy » Mon Jan 30, 2023 3:58 am

Who is the “watcheswithwear” guy who is arguing with you, Terry? Crazy.

As alluded to by Hop above, the real issue is how open the watch forums have become. It used to be somewhat challenging because you needed to create a profile and build at least a minimal reputation before being allowed to buy or sell.

It seems much easier today to build a scam / throwaway profile for this purpose. At least on here we all kind of know each other and have earned our reputation.

I’m guessing a Helios “Univesa” is a sub $1k watch, maybe closer to $500. The fact this guy is willing to go through this much hassle for this little money indicates just how easy it is.

Ryeguy

Post by Ryeguy » Mon Jan 30, 2023 4:03 am

Just as an aside, assuming I read understood the Reddit profile correctly, the seller had something like 750 posts and the buyer profile “elmovientoof” had zero posts.

I don’t care what forum we are talking about, but selling to a low post count user is a HUGE risk as they have no reputation to lose.
Last edited by Ryeguy on Mon Jan 30, 2023 6:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

ericf4
(TBD) Penis

Post by ericf4 » Mon Jan 30, 2023 5:36 am

Ryeguy wrote:Just as an aside, assuming I read understood the Reddit profile correctly, the seller had so like 750 posts and the buyer profile “elmovientoof” had zero posts.

I don’t care what forum we are talking about, but selling to a low post count user is a HUGE risk as they have no reputation to lose.
Agree.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Visit my Music/Drumming Channel at:

https://youtube.com/ericfeuer

tattoo chef
<Will Skull for Food>
Name: Don

Post by tattoo chef » Mon Jan 30, 2023 7:30 am

Ryeguy wrote:Just as an aside, assuming I read understood the Reddit profile correctly, the seller had something like 750 posts and the buyer profile “elmovientoof” had zero posts.

Agree. I don’t sell to those with no or very low post counts.
It’s crazy how the buyer can now screw the the seller. You have to be very careful these days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

ezcheese
Cheese Connoisseur
Name: Derek

Post by ezcheese » Mon Jan 30, 2023 8:19 am

Sheesh. I haven't used paypal in a decade and I am just now in the process of updating my account and going through the new rigamaroll security protocol... all just because fucking Seiya only accepts paypal :banghead:
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Abmw

Post by Abmw » Mon Jan 30, 2023 9:22 am

I was always under the impression that Paypal F&F was safe. So what exactly is a safe method nowadays aside from cash for Sellers? Worrying about scams has been one of the main reasons I havent sold any watches in the last few years.
"My balls was hot" - Derrick Lewis

justsellbrgs
Name: John

Post by justsellbrgs » Mon Jan 30, 2023 10:26 am

Abmw wrote:
Mon Jan 30, 2023 9:22 am
I was always under the impression that Paypal F&F was safe. So what exactly is a safe method nowadays aside from cash for Sellers? Worrying about scams has been one of the main reasons I havent sold any watches in the last few years.
the discussion to be had is paypal F&F vs G&S...... I see this as sellers prefer F&F to avoid fees. The issue arises when a buyer does a credit card charge back as was done in this instance.
If I don't know a seller I pass on F&F for this reason. oF course there is risk with G&S as well, but the transaction is somewhat protected.

I have the luxury of having 2 high volume toy/collectible sellers in my office (5-6 figures per year)...they always do G&S... as they say, not worth the few $$ (and price items accordingly to offset the fees)
"Go forth, my progeny, grab the world by the balls, squeeze hard and shake vigorously." J. Koch (aka "Swedefreak")

ezcheese
Cheese Connoisseur

Post by ezcheese » Mon Jan 30, 2023 11:52 am

what do F&F and G&S mean?
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

r.palace

Post by r.palace » Mon Jan 30, 2023 11:52 am

ezcheese wrote:what do F&F and G&S mean?
Friends and family and goods and services
ImageImage
Many will register, few will last :htfu:

ezcheese
Cheese Connoisseur

Post by ezcheese » Mon Jan 30, 2023 11:56 am

r.palace wrote:
Mon Jan 30, 2023 11:52 am
ezcheese wrote:what do F&F and G&S mean?
Friends and family and goods and services
Thanks!
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

BBK357
Ban Jacobs
Name: Vladimir

Post by BBK357 » Mon Jan 30, 2023 12:30 pm

DEATH FROM ABOVE
:ak:

toxicavenger
President Tranny

Post by toxicavenger » Mon Jan 30, 2023 6:57 pm

tattoo chef wrote:
Mon Jan 30, 2023 7:30 am
Ryeguy wrote:Just as an aside, assuming I read understood the Reddit profile correctly, the seller had something like 750 posts and the buyer profile “elmovientoof” had zero posts.

It’s crazy how the buyer can now screw the the seller. You have to be very careful these days.

the buyer before being banned had over 2 years of history. he also had feedback in the hifi arena if i recall.

toxicavenger
President Tranny

Post by toxicavenger » Mon Jan 30, 2023 6:59 pm

justsellbrgs wrote:
Mon Jan 30, 2023 10:26 am
Abmw wrote:
the discussion to be had is paypal F&F vs G&S...... I see this as sellers prefer F&F to avoid fees. The issue arises when a buyer does a credit card charge back as was done in this instance.
If I don't know a seller I pass on F&F for this reason. oF course there is risk with G&S as well, but the transaction is somewhat protected.

I have the luxury of having 2 high volume toy/collectible sellers in my office (5-6 figures per year)...they always do G&S... as they say, not worth the few $$ (and price items accordingly to offset the fees)
honestly there has been more scams using g&s than f&f. that is why so many people including myself used f&f for years. it was not to save money, it was to try and cover our ass. :crybaby:

toxicavenger
President Tranny

Post by toxicavenger » Mon Jan 30, 2023 7:00 pm

Ryeguy wrote:
Mon Jan 30, 2023 3:58 am
Who is the “watcheswithwear” guy who is arguing with you, Terry? Crazy.
just some stubborn rando like myself posting on the net. :mrgreen:

Ryeguy

Post by Ryeguy » Tue Jan 31, 2023 2:24 am

toxicavenger wrote:
Mon Jan 30, 2023 6:57 pm
tattoo chef wrote:
Mon Jan 30, 2023 7:30 am

the buyer before being banned had over 2 years of history. he also had feedback in the hifi arena if i recall.
So he was banned, then rejoined under a different username?

Actually, that is an interesting wrinkle. How hard would it be for a random scammer to create a new account and claim to be some well-established but now banned user?

Heck, half the folks here could have that happen to them on WUS.

jswing
Founder, TDWC MM300 Fan Club
Name: Jeff

Post by jswing » Tue Jan 31, 2023 6:17 am

toxicavenger wrote:
Mon Jan 30, 2023 6:59 pm
justsellbrgs wrote:
Mon Jan 30, 2023 10:26 am
Abmw wrote:

honestly there has been more scams using g&s than f&f. that is why so many people including myself used f&f for years. it was not to save money, it was to try and cover our ass. :crybaby:
I use F&F not so much to avoid fees, but to avoid having to report my watch activity on my taxes now that they're issuing 1099s on anything over $600, which is basically one watch sale. I didn't have any idea about the cc chargeback thing. Is venmo any better in that regard?

rockmastermike
Feedback Virtuoso
Name: WDE

Post by rockmastermike » Tue Jan 31, 2023 6:31 am

jswing wrote:
Tue Jan 31, 2023 6:17 am

I use F&F not so much to avoid fees, but to avoid having to report my watch activity on my taxes now that they're issuing 1099s on anything over $600, which is basically one watch sale. I didn't have any idea about the cc chargeback thing. Is venmo any better in that regard?
This

Until the feds got involved I was fine with fees…they saved my butt once and made me whole early on.

But this $600 thing grinds my gears

jswing
Founder, TDWC MM300 Fan Club
Name: Jeff

Post by jswing » Tue Jan 31, 2023 6:42 am

rockmastermike wrote:
Tue Jan 31, 2023 6:31 am
jswing wrote:
Tue Jan 31, 2023 6:17 am

This

Until the feds got involved I was fine with fees…they saved my butt once and made me whole early on.

But this $600 thing grinds my gears
I get that there may be people with actual businesses that are avoiding paying taxes, but $600? Really? Realistically, if I did report all my watch purchases/sales, I'd definitely end up with a loss at the end of the year. Will I get a refund based on a loss in a hobby? I doubt it.

toxicavenger
President Tranny

Post by toxicavenger » Tue Jan 31, 2023 7:18 am

[/quote]

Actually, that is an interesting wrinkle. How hard would it be for a random scammer to create a new account and claim to be some well-established but now banned user?

[/quote]
He was banned for stealing the watch. Then two weeks later he posted under a new account trying to sell it.

Ryeguy

Post by Ryeguy » Tue Jan 31, 2023 7:38 am

toxicavenger wrote:
Tue Jan 31, 2023 7:18 am

[/quote]
He was banned for stealing the watch. Then two weeks later he posted under a new account trying to sell it.
[/quote]

Oh, OK.

When I mentioned his post count, it was in reference to the original user name. I may have misinterpreted the Reddit profile data, but I thought it said that user name had no posts. Maybe Reddit deletes profile history once the user gets banned? :shrug:

Either way, it is more than a little ballsy to return to the "scene of the crime" using a new user name.