Rolex availability from AD?

Come on in and introduce yourself!
General watch talk.
streetracer101
Name: Mr Shackleford

Post by streetracer101 » Wed Mar 22, 2023 6:31 pm

It's been a minute guys. I've recently heard reports from 2 guys I know in the custom knife community that they've been able to order (and received) Rolexes from their local ADs. Neither had ever purchased one before (and neither is in the watch "game" per se. One got a pepsi and the other got a OP. Have any of you been able to buy AD direct since the pandemic without an insane wait or the ability to buy 100k worth of stuff at once? My local AD near Denver said they won't order anything Rolex or desirable Tudor for me. I am just trying to get a pulse if it is because of my geographic area or if it is still nearly impossible to make an AD buy. I'd like to buy an Explorer direct and can continue to wait if need be. Thanks!

Jeep99dad
Grand-père
Name: Brice

Re: Rolex availability from AD?

Post by Jeep99dad » Wed Mar 22, 2023 8:42 pm

I got a sub from an AD last year. Waited 2-3 months.
Merde Alors! Et Vive Les Francais! :)

streetracer101

Post by streetracer101 » Wed Mar 22, 2023 9:09 pm

Jeep99dad wrote:
Wed Mar 22, 2023 8:42 pm
I got a sub from an AD last year. Waited 2-3 months.
Damn. I figured it might be my area. I'd gladly wait 6-12 months for an Explorer at retail from an AD. I just refuse to give into the grey market vendors. My understanding is the wait time for just about anything other than subs and daytonas is considerably less. My AD wouldn't even put me on a list for a FXD. Lol

tyd450
Name: Tyler

Post by tyd450 » Wed Mar 22, 2023 9:12 pm

I got a submariner after about 3 months at the boutique in Chicago. I was actually offered a sub date first after about 2.5 months and turned that down and then was offered the sub a couple weeks later

MDF
Name: Mark

Post by MDF » Wed Mar 22, 2023 9:41 pm

I got a Sub in the Chicago Burbs and waited a month I think the timing was lucky for me on that.
Regards,

Mark

Chocodove
Name: Todd

Post by Chocodove » Thu Mar 23, 2023 3:55 am

I’ve tried an Explorer locally and they don’t seem too interested in selling one to me unless I play the game, which I’m not going to do. Just the way it is in my area. I am a very small fish comparative to others. I actually got my Sub from the same AD, but an acquaintance with significant history there did me a solid when they were first released.

One other thing to keep in mind are the very real issues with the 32xx movements that Rolex apparently doesn’t have a solution for yet. There’s a mega thread on TRF with a significant amount of hard data and direct feedback from watchmakers documenting the issue. It hit my Sub a little over 2 years in. I need to send it in but I enjoy wearing it too much, so I’ve been procrastinating.
- Todd

Jeep99dad
Grand-père

Post by Jeep99dad » Thu Mar 23, 2023 10:08 am

Chocodove wrote:I’ve tried an Explorer locally and they don’t seem too interested in selling one to me unless I play the game, which I’m not going to do. Just the way it is in my area. I am a very small fish comparative to others. I actually got my Sub from the same AD, but an acquaintance with significant history there did me a solid when they were first released.

One other thing to keep in mind are the very real issues with the 32xx movements that Rolex apparently doesn’t have a solution for yet. There’s a mega thread on TRF with a significant amount of hard data and direct feedback from watchmakers documenting the issue. It hit my Sub a little over 2 years in. I need to send it in but I enjoy wearing it too much, so I’ve been procrastinating.
What’s the issue ?

streetracer101

Post by streetracer101 » Thu Mar 23, 2023 10:18 am

Chocodove wrote:
Thu Mar 23, 2023 3:55 am
I’ve tried an Explorer locally and they don’t seem too interested in selling one to me unless I play the game, which I’m not going to do. Just the way it is in my area. I am a very small fish comparative to others. I actually got my Sub from the same AD, but an acquaintance with significant history there did me a solid when they were first released.

I had no idea. What models is it effecting?

streetracer101

Post by streetracer101 » Thu Mar 23, 2023 10:21 am

Thanks for the feedback guys. It sounds like my AD might just suck. I guess it is time to make some calls or buck up and see if I can find another AD where I can establish a relationship. I'd honestly be open to traveling to a good AD to setup a report v giving money to grey market peddlers.

Chocodove

Post by Chocodove » Thu Mar 23, 2023 10:38 am

Jeep99dad wrote:
Thu Mar 23, 2023 10:08 am
Chocodove wrote:I’ve tried an Explorer locally and they don’t seem too interested in selling one to me unless I play the game, which I’m not going to do. Just the way it is in my area. I am a very small fish comparative to others. I actually got my Sub from the same AD, but an acquaintance with significant history there did me a solid when they were first released.

What’s the issue ?
They slow down significantly around 1.5-2 years do due amplitude issues caused by an inherent problem with the movement. Mine was within less than a second a day when new, went down to around -2 after a year, and now is regularly -6. Unacceptable to me for a Rolex. It is absolutely not a one off problem either.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread. ... light=32xx

No need to go through all 100+ pages, the last 5 or so will tell you all you need to know. There's people that have sent the same watch in multiple times because the issue keeps coming back. They do not have a fix yet from what i can tell.
Last edited by Chocodove on Thu Mar 23, 2023 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
- Todd

Chocodove

Post by Chocodove » Thu Mar 23, 2023 10:38 am

streetracer101 wrote:
Thu Mar 23, 2023 10:18 am
Chocodove wrote:

Any watch with a 32xx movement, so nearly all of them. See link above.
- Todd

hoppyjr
HJ
Name: Hoppy

Post by hoppyjr » Thu Mar 23, 2023 11:17 am

Chocodove wrote:
streetracer101 wrote:
Thu Mar 23, 2023 10:18 am
Chocodove wrote:

Any watch with a 32xx movement, so nearly all of them. See link above.
Well that sucks. I guess I need to wear mine more to see.

MDF
Name: Mark

Post by MDF » Thu Mar 23, 2023 11:22 am

I’m really hoping they find a fix and fix all of them, anybody know if Rolex would be stand up enough to do that or will they just stay silent about it based on history of other past issues?
Regards,

Mark

Chocodove

Post by Chocodove » Thu Mar 23, 2023 11:29 am

MDF wrote:
Thu Mar 23, 2023 11:22 am
I’m really hoping they find a fix and fix all of them, anybody know if Rolex would be stand up enough to do that or will they just stay silent about it based on history of other past issues?
My expectation is they will absolutely figure out a fix and then quietly correct the issue at warranty/service. They'll never admit anything.
- Todd

hoppyjr
HJ

Post by hoppyjr » Thu Mar 23, 2023 12:12 pm

Chocodove wrote:
MDF wrote:
My expectation is they will absolutely figure out a fix and then quietly correct the issue at warranty/service. They'll never admit anything.
Hopefully the find out before my 5-year warranty ends in 2025 Image

streetracer101

Post by streetracer101 » Thu Mar 23, 2023 12:27 pm

hoppyjr wrote:
Thu Mar 23, 2023 12:12 pm
Chocodove wrote:
MDF wrote:
You got a good AD out by you? I am contemplating a trip out there this summer.

Jeep99dad
Grand-père

Post by Jeep99dad » Thu Mar 23, 2023 12:33 pm

Chocodove wrote:
MDF wrote:
I would agree with that assessment.
That said I don’t think I’d be upset if my sub went to be off 2 secs and 6 after a few years.

Chocodove

Post by Chocodove » Thu Mar 23, 2023 12:55 pm

Jeep99dad wrote:
Chocodove wrote:
MDF wrote:
I would agree with that assessment.
That said I don’t think I’d be upset if my sub went to be off 2 secs and 6 after a few years.
I can understand that. I don’t think any other brand would bother me, but with the +2/-2 “testing” and my experience with many old reliable 3130s, personally I don’t think a Rolex should be running out of COSC specs within three years of new. Add in all the documented issues and it bothers me :)
- Todd

hoppyjr
HJ

Post by hoppyjr » Thu Mar 23, 2023 1:29 pm

streetracer101 wrote:
hoppyjr wrote:
Chocodove wrote:
MDF wrote:
Not so much. From 1998-2018 or so my AD and I were good, but something changed and no more for me.

I’ve tried buying Rolex and/or Tudor and since 2018 I’ve only managed to score a Ranger.

PGERRITY
Name: Pat

Post by PGERRITY » Thu Mar 23, 2023 1:34 pm

hoppyjr wrote:
streetracer101 wrote:
hoppyjr wrote:
Chocodove wrote:
MDF wrote:
Not so much. From 1998-2018 or so my AD and I were good, but something changed and no more for me.

I’ve tried buying Rolex and/or Tudor and since 2018 I’ve only managed to score a Ranger.
I used to get AD Xmas cards and emails and call backs. Now they ignore everything I send. Coooool. Not that I’ve spent a small fortune there or anything ImageImage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Jeep99dad
Grand-père

Post by Jeep99dad » Thu Mar 23, 2023 1:53 pm

Ive asked one of the local ADs to put me on the list for an OP 6-8 weeks ago and curious how long it’ll be until they call me.

streetracer101

Post by streetracer101 » Thu Mar 23, 2023 3:34 pm

hoppyjr wrote:
Thu Mar 23, 2023 1:29 pm
streetracer101 wrote:
hoppyjr wrote:
Chocodove wrote:
MDF wrote:

Damn. Weak. I guess they found their money bags and local grey market guys and they are happy with those relationships alone.

streetracer101

Post by streetracer101 » Thu Mar 23, 2023 3:37 pm

Jeep99dad wrote:
Thu Mar 23, 2023 1:53 pm
Ive asked one of the local ADs to put me on the list for an OP 6-8 weeks ago and curious how long it’ll be until they call me.
I'd just be happy to get a call. Meanwhile, I routinely see guys in Moda watch group selling the same exact OP with like 6 available (all for like 2k over retail) and dated the same day/month. Lol

nweash
Name: Nick

Post by nweash » Thu Mar 23, 2023 4:19 pm

Great I’m just over the 2 year mark on my sub41. Guess I’ll time it and see.

hoppyjr
HJ

Post by hoppyjr » Thu Mar 23, 2023 4:22 pm

streetracer101 wrote:
Jeep99dad wrote:
Thu Mar 23, 2023 1:53 pm
I'd just be happy to get a call. Meanwhile, I routinely see guys in Moda watch group selling the same exact OP with like 6 available (all for like 2k over retail) and dated the same day/month. Lol
Yep, they get them somewhere and consistently, so it’s all who you know.