Come on in and introduce yourself!
General watch talk.
hoppyjr
HJ
Name: Hoppy

Bracelet News: EZ-link now available

Post by hoppyjr » Sat Jun 03, 2023 3:59 pm

Hey all,

I previously posted info about an aftermarket product which appeared to be a copy of the Rolex EZ-link extension link. I ordered and just received this product for my Black Bay GMT and initial impressions are good. When extended you gain 5mm of bracelet length for those hot & sweaty days, or run it extended and snap shut when it’s cold….because, shrinkage.

The link replaces the existing end link that attaches to the clasp and it appears to be the same size. I installed today and it works exactly like the factory Rolex version. The only negative I observed - and it’s minor - is the included spring bar is somewhat thin, making the extension snap in and out with what I’ll call “minor tension”. When worn this won’t be an issue, but being me, I used the stock Tudor clasp attachment spring bar, which gives tighter “lock up”….if that makes sense.

For $120 it’s a no brainer.

They currently have the link for three Zenith models, most current Tudor models, with the BB58 being a pre-order. They show coming soon for Rolex 5 & 6 digit models, in addition to Omega and Grand Seiko!

Rather than post photos I’ll provide the link and you can go have a look. On the Black Bay it does not have the rivets, but it’s hidden so wouldn’t matter either way.

https://steel-reef.com

Hoppy

deepcdvr
Flipper Extraordinaire
Name: Paul

Re: Bracelet News: EZ-link now available

Post by deepcdvr » Sat Jun 03, 2023 6:58 pm

Thanks brother - have a 58 inbound so may need it ;)
VR/
Paul

SI VI PACEM, PARA BELLUM

hoppyjr
HJ

Post by hoppyjr » Sat Jun 03, 2023 7:00 pm

deepcdvr wrote:Thanks brother - have a 58 inbound so may need it ;)
I found the GMT worked and I don’t need it, but the link is nice to have.

JP Chestnut
Name: Jacob

Post by JP Chestnut » Sun Jun 04, 2023 8:41 am

I'd actually be interested in your own pictures. I couldn't get a good sense of what this thing does based on their website. It looks like it might replace the little link that slides into the end of your bracelet. If so, that is going to be a game changer for 5 digit Rolex.

hoppyjr
HJ

Post by hoppyjr » Sun Jun 04, 2023 9:28 am

JP Chestnut wrote:I'd actually be interested in your own pictures. I couldn't get a good sense of what this thing does based on their website. It looks like it might replace the little link that slides into the end of your bracelet. If so, that is going to be a game changer for 5 digit Rolex.
That’s exactly what it does. You remove the end piece that connects to the clasp on the 12 o’clock side of the bracelet. Replace with this piece and you have a snap in/out 5mm extension.

It functions exactly like the Rolex EZ-link, which was found on all the 6-digit sports models except the Submariner, which had Glidelock.

It provides the option to older 5-digit models, Tudors, and soon for Omega and Grand Seiko.

Quality seems decent, while not to Rolex OEM standards, it’s affordable and functional.

Now…..if someone were to give us a Glidelock clasp with attachment pieces for different brand watches, that would be a game changer. Heck, there are nice clones used on some stuff like Ginault. Make one in bead blast stainless for Sinn and it would sell like crazy

Blaine
Name: Blaine

Post by Blaine » Sun Jun 04, 2023 10:07 am

Thanks…just got in on the pre-order for my SD16600

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hoppyjr
HJ

Post by hoppyjr » Sun Jun 04, 2023 10:58 am

Crappy pics.

It appears the 5mm is about equal to two of the micro-adjust holes on the clasp.

For reference: I believe the Glidelock clasp has 10mm of movement, in 2mm increments.

Closed position:

Open position:

JP Chestnut

Post by JP Chestnut » Sun Jun 04, 2023 12:21 pm

hoppyjr wrote:
Sun Jun 04, 2023 9:28 am
JP Chestnut wrote:I'd actually be interested in your own pictures. I couldn't get a good sense of what this thing does based on their website. It looks like it might replace the little link that slides into the end of your bracelet. If so, that is going to be a game changer for 5 digit Rolex.
That’s exactly what it does. You remove the end piece that connects to the clasp on the 12 o’clock side of the bracelet. Replace with this piece and you have a snap in/out 5mm extension.

It functions exactly like the Rolex EZ-link, which was found on all the 6-digit sports models except the Submariner, which had Glidelock.

It provides the option to older 5-digit models, Tudors, and soon for Omega and Grand Seiko.

Quality seems decent, while not to Rolex OEM standards, it’s affordable and functional.

Now…..if someone were to give us a Glidelock clasp with attachment pieces for different brand watches, that would be a game changer. Heck, there are nice clones used on some stuff like Ginault. Make one in bead blast stainless for Sinn and it would sell like crazy
Do you know how it would work with a dive extension? It would be cool if it replaced the extension piece, rather than going on the end of it.

hoppyjr
HJ

Post by hoppyjr » Sun Jun 04, 2023 12:34 pm

JP Chestnut wrote:
hoppyjr wrote:

Do you know how it would work with a dive extension? It would be cool if it replaced the extension piece, rather than going on the end of it.
As I recall, the Rolex dive extension is removable. I have no specific info on fit, but I doubt this could be added to the extension. I suggest you email Steel Reef and ask.

MDF
Name: Mark

Post by MDF » Sun Jun 04, 2023 4:08 pm

Thanks Hoppy I think I’ll give this a try.
Regards,

Mark

hoppyjr
HJ

Post by hoppyjr » Sun Jun 04, 2023 6:16 pm

JP Chestnut wrote:
hoppyjr wrote:

Thinking about this more I’m convinced it will work. I installed a 6-digit Glidelock clasp on an older 5-digit Submariner case, so this new link should install the same way. If you don’t use the “wetsuit extension” (none of us do) then the expandable link offers more functionality.

JP Chestnut

Post by JP Chestnut » Thu Jun 08, 2023 8:05 am

hoppyjr wrote:
Sun Jun 04, 2023 6:16 pm
JP Chestnut wrote:
hoppyjr wrote:

Thinking about this more I’m convinced it will work. I installed a 6-digit Glidelock clasp on an older 5-digit Submariner case, so this new link should install the same way. If you don’t use the “wetsuit extension” (none of us do) then the expandable link offers more functionality.
Thanks Hop. I emailed these guys to see how the link works on the tuna can clasp with a diver extension. I really hope that it replaces it. That would effectively turn the crappy flop out extension on a 14060M into a better version of the GMT2 clasp.

JP Chestnut

Post by JP Chestnut » Sat Jun 10, 2023 7:44 am

I heard back from these guys:

Thank you for your email. I must say, you have an impressive collection! I myself own a few five-digit Rolex divers. Regarding the installation of the extension link, it would involve removing the diver's extension section. Based on personal experience and feedback from other dive watch enthusiasts, the diver's extension is seldom used, primarily when wearing the watch over a wetsuit. Considering that our extension links offer 5mm of adjustment, they prove to be much more practical for everyday use. That's why we have chosen a solution where the extension link replaces the diver's extension portion.

So this link would be a very nice addition to the clasps with the older style diver extension (the version that's on vintage bracelets + the 14060M). I'm going to buy at least one and see how it works.

hoppyjr
HJ

Post by hoppyjr » Sat Jun 10, 2023 9:21 am

Good stuff. I’ve actually used it a few times.

TSD
Name: Tom

Post by TSD » Sat Jun 10, 2023 11:41 am

JP Chestnut wrote:
Sat Jun 10, 2023 7:44 am
So this link would be a very nice addition to the clasps with the older style diver extension (the version that's on vintage bracelets + the 14060M). I'm going to buy at least one and see how it works.
If this works, I’ve got 3 that could actually be worn instead of collecting dust all summer.

JP Chestnut

Post by JP Chestnut » Sat Jun 10, 2023 11:44 am

TSD wrote:
Sat Jun 10, 2023 11:41 am
JP Chestnut wrote:
If this works, I’ve got 3 that could actually be worn instead of collecting dust all summer.
I'm going to grab one as soon as they're available. The little link that fits inside of my GMT2 clasp is so much easier to use than the diver extensions. If I can convert the divers to that style AND have a little on the fly adjustment that's going to be a game changer.

hoppyjr
HJ

Post by hoppyjr » Sat Jun 10, 2023 12:19 pm

JP Chestnut wrote:
TSD wrote:
Sat Jun 10, 2023 11:41 am
JP Chestnut wrote:
I'm going to grab one as soon as they're available. The little link that fits inside of my GMT2 clasp is so much easier to use than the diver extensions. If I can convert the divers to that style AND have a little on the fly adjustment that's going to be a game changer.
It works exactly like the Rolex part, but the Rolex has a little ceramic ball, bearing the tent, and this one is just metal to metal snap. Keep in mind this is 100 bucks.

I’m pleased with it on the GMT

R@cerx
Name: David

Post by R@cerx » Sun Jun 11, 2023 4:32 am

I'd be curious how it would work on the clasp of a 114270.

hoppyjr
HJ

Post by hoppyjr » Sun Jun 11, 2023 10:43 am

R@cerx wrote:I'd be curious how it would work on the clasp of a 114270.
It would work exactly the same. It replaces the link that attaches bracelet to clasp, so if they make one that size / for that model, you’re good to go.

I know that I have moved my Glidelock clasp between several Rolex models to check fit, to include; Sub 114060 Ceramic, Explorer 214270, Explorer II 216570, OP41, and Sub 14060 - and it fit perfectly. I would expect this link to be the same, as Rolex keeps to a formula very well.

R@cerx
Name: David

Post by R@cerx » Sun Jun 11, 2023 11:06 am

On the waitlist now.

Blaine

Post by Blaine » Thu Jun 29, 2023 2:53 pm

Just ordered the extension link for my SD 16600. They just became available

Blaine

Post by Blaine » Sat Jul 08, 2023 1:03 pm

Link arrived today for my SD16600. Quality, I think, is terrific. My watchmaker was really impressed with it as well. Thanks Hop’s for posting this. Very happy with it.

Last edited by Blaine on Sat Jul 08, 2023 1:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.

hoppyjr
HJ

Post by hoppyjr » Sat Jul 08, 2023 1:11 pm

I’m glad it worked out for you. Frankly, I’m surprised no one came out with this idea sooner.

If I had the resources, I would create a generic Glidlock style clasp and then make in links to mate it with the popular bracelets sold today. Heck, a company like Monte, who does this clasp on their own watches, could sell something like this under their Everest straps company. It would seem to be a moneymaker.

Blaine

Post by Blaine » Sat Jul 08, 2023 1:49 pm

hoppyjr wrote:I’m glad it worked out for you. Frankly, I’m surprised no one came out with this idea sooner.

If I had the resources, I would create a generic Glidlock style clasp and then make in links to mate it with the popular bracelets sold today. Heck, a company like Monte, who does this clasp on their own watches, could sell something like this under their Everest straps company. It would seem to be a moneymaker.
I agree with you, even this company seems like they could produce something based on the quality of just the link alone that I received. Who knows, perhaps they are already in the works on that.

Side note: Rolex should offer this clasp
Like Omega has done for their bracelets. Certainly seems like there’s a market place for that.

Quick Update: It was cool here this morning/mid-day and had the extension link adjusted in. I worked outside this afternoon as it had warmed up and extended the link out. Super fast and really a game changer, with that one, micro adjustment. To me; worth the price. ImageImage

mikkoi

Post by mikkoi » Wed Jul 12, 2023 10:18 am

I just got two links today for my 14060M Sub and 114270 Explorer. Great fit and quality for both. Took the divers ext. of my Sub, but you have to use the new clasp springbar, cause the orginal is too thick to fit. For Explorer I used the orginal ones. Works really great, happy with these Image

Thanks Hoppy!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk