Update...

Come on in and introduce yourself!
General watch talk.
serdal22
Name: Serdal

Re: Update...

Post by serdal22 » Sun Jan 07, 2024 10:01 pm

Congrats on engagement and property in Pilipinas, Stephen. I am very happy for you. What city will you settle there? I used to take my vacations there 2-3 times a year. My ex is from Philly, and my fiance is also from there. I will settle in Bisayas Region (Central Pilipinas) mid this year if everything goes as planned. You will have a watch lover neighbour soon. ;-)

Best wishes to you, good for you Comrade.

Serdal.
Seiko SKX 173 Mil. Mod.; Seiko SBCM 029; Seiko 6306 - 7000; MKII LRRP UTC 48; MKII Stingray; Marathon MSar 500 LE; Marathon Navigator; USSR Signal Mechanical Alarm; USSR NOS Raketa Mechanical; USSR NOS Poljot Shturmansky Mechanical Chrono; Hamilton H-31 Chrono; Hamilton Auto;  Arsa Extra WW II Mechanical; Citizen Ecozilla; Alpha GMT Coke Auto; ONLY TWO WRISTS :-)

flyskate
Name: Stephen

Post by flyskate » Mon Jan 08, 2024 11:43 pm

serdal22 wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2024 10:01 pm
Congrats on engagement and property in Pilipinas, Stephen. I am very happy for you. What city will you settle there? I used to take my vacations there 2-3 times a year. My ex is from Philly, and my fiance is also from there. I will settle in Bisayas Region (Central Pilipinas) mid this year if everything goes as planned. You will have a watch lover neighbour soon. ;-)

Best wishes to you, good for you Comrade.

Serdal.
Thanks! I'll be in Santa Cruz, Laguna, it approx 80 km south of Manila. I hope all goes as planned for you as well. Will you be in Cebu, or the Provence area? That on part of thPh I am planning to visit!
Best wishes to you as well! I see you in Ph!
Stephen

serdal22
Name: Serdal

Post by serdal22 » Tue Jan 09, 2024 1:04 am

Thanks! I'll be in Santa Cruz, Laguna, it approx 80 km south of Manila. I hope all goes as planned for you as well. Will you be in Cebu, or the Provence area? That on part of thPh I am planning to visit!
Best wishes to you as well! I see you in Ph!
[/quote]
Thank you very much Stephen. I will be on Panay mostly, West of Cebu and Leyte. But I will have some 'busniess' in Cebu as well. I will let you know when that might happen. We need our GTGs wherever we are. We deserve it, we need it! :headbang:

Serdal.
Seiko SKX 173 Mil. Mod.; Seiko SBCM 029; Seiko 6306 - 7000; MKII LRRP UTC 48; MKII Stingray; Marathon MSar 500 LE; Marathon Navigator; USSR Signal Mechanical Alarm; USSR NOS Raketa Mechanical; USSR NOS Poljot Shturmansky Mechanical Chrono; Hamilton H-31 Chrono; Hamilton Auto;  Arsa Extra WW II Mechanical; Citizen Ecozilla; Alpha GMT Coke Auto; ONLY TWO WRISTS :-)

giosdad

Post by giosdad » Tue Jan 09, 2024 5:26 am

Congratulations on your engagement and your new home.
Regards
Barry

River Rat
DWC Tribal Council

Post by River Rat » Wed Jan 10, 2024 8:56 am

When in the US Navy our ship would pull into Subic US Naval Base also flew in there once on a C5A transport at Clark US Air Force base once those bases are now closed. Both my boot camp company commanders were from the Philippines they were good at their jobs our boot camp company won the captains trophy for being the best boot camp company. The US Navy at one time let people from the Philippines join the US Navy a fast track to become a US citizen a program they should bring back since less US citizens are joining the service the US Navy only took the best. The food I remember was great over their next time you use catchup read the ingredients no tomatoes but banana. The street food was great also. Like WU said there some serious poorness in some parts outside the base you crossed a bridge from the base to Subic the river called shit river due to the sewage in it, US Navy slang not sure of the real name for that river and kids would swim in it as you crossed the bridge and would yell peso, they would catch the peso before it hit bottom if you through one to them. If you bar hop be careful you have to have eyes behind your head lost a friend over there, they found him with his neck broke floating in shit river outside the base in Olongapo I took his duty so he could go out in town to this day I fill responsible for what happened to him. Was going back to the ship in the morning took a trike a sort of taxi a motorcycle with a sidecar and it was going the wrong way back to the ship so said pull over and I walked the rest of the way he was most likely going to rob me. The people are nice over there everywhere has a few bad apples just like the states. There is a member on the MWR forum and Omega Forum who lived over there for a long time he and his wife would go vintage watch hunting and someone on his wife's side of the family was a watchmaker and service them and he would sale some on the forums think he and his wife moved back to the states he might be good to contact to get more info on living in the Philippines. If they have home insurance get it, they get some serous typhoons like a hurricane in the states. Hope you do OK and congratulation on your upcoming marriage.
The trike taxi's
Another form of transportation Jeepney a sort of bus they drive crazy.
From my cruise book. Every bar had their own band they could sound like any band you liked. Jurney lead singer came form one of these bands.
In the countryside.
Mount Pinatubo a volcano before it blew.

flyskate

Post by flyskate » Sat Jan 13, 2024 5:08 am

River Rat wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2024 8:56 am
When in the US Navy our ship would pull into Subic US Naval Base also flew in there once on a C5A transport at Clark US Air Force base once those bases are now closed. Both my boot camp company commanders were from the Philippines they were good at their jobs our boot camp company won the captains trophy for being the best boot camp company. The US Navy at one time let people from the Philippines join the US Navy a fast track to become a US citizen a program they should bring back since less US citizens are joining the service the US Navy only took the best. The food I remember was great over their next time you use catchup read the ingredients no tomatoes but banana. The street food was great also. Like WU said there some serious poorness in some parts outside the base you crossed a bridge from the base to Subic the river called shit river due to the sewage in it, US Navy slang not sure of the real name for that river and kids would swim in it as you crossed the bridge and would yell peso, they would catch the peso before it hit bottom if you through one to them. If you bar hop be careful you have to have eyes behind your head lost a friend over there, they found him with his neck broke floating in shit river outside the base in Olongapo I took his duty so he could go out in town to this day I fill responsible for what happened to him. Was going back to the ship in the morning took a trike a sort of taxi a motorcycle with a sidecar and it was going the wrong way back to the ship so said pull over and I walked the rest of the way he was most likely going to rob me. The people are nice over there everywhere has a few bad apples just like the states. There is a member on the MWR forum and Omega Forum who lived over there for a long time he and his wife would go vintage watch hunting and someone on his wife's side of the family was a watchmaker and service them and he would sale some on the forums think he and his wife moved back to the states he might be good to contact to get more info on living in the Philippines. If they have home insurance get it, they get some serous typhoons like a hurricane in the states. Hope you do OK and congratulation on your upcoming marriage.
The trike taxi's
Another form of transportation Jeepney a sort of bus they drive crazy.
From my cruise book. Every bar had their own band they could sound like any band you liked. Jurney lead singer came form one of these bands.
In the countryside.
Mount Pinatubo a volcano before it blew.
Wow! Looks to be around the 70's maybe? As much as things have changed, they are still the same in many respects. Subic is bigger and more modern, but, trikes and jeepneys are still the main way most get around. Although there are more people with cars now. And your right, the you're taking your life in your hands in a jeepney! lol. Great pics, thanks! I was looking for watches there, and outside of any AD, you're playing with fire, most of the time you're getting a fake. Lot's of that here, mostly out in the open, in the stores, you'll find Coach, Micheal Koss, and other high end pieces, 10-20 US for a ladies bag, and sneakers for around 30-60 US.
Stephen

River Rat
DWC Tribal Council

Post by River Rat » Sat Jan 13, 2024 5:53 am

Was around 1982 and 1984 when I was there.Dare you to eat Balut only thing I would not eat over there.

spring-diver
Name: Shannon

Post by spring-diver » Sat Jan 13, 2024 8:27 am

Congrats Stephen! I’m sure you and your fiancé will make great memories there!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Seiko: SBDB001, SBDX001, SRP777

Sinn: EZM9, T1, T1B, 836 & 857S

:cheers:

flyskate

Post by flyskate » Sat Jan 13, 2024 9:48 am

River Rat wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2024 5:53 am
Was around 1982 and 1984 when I was there.Dare you to eat Balut only thing I would not eat over there.
I wouldn't eat Balut if I was starving! lol!!
Stephen

River Rat
DWC Tribal Council

Post by River Rat » Sat Jan 13, 2024 3:08 pm

Here is a funny story about Balut was doing shore patrol out in Olongapo. You patrol the bars out in town you muster at the provost marshal then they send you out in town you're in dress whites with SP arm band and a Billy club. Before we went overseas, we got a week class how to handcuff and use a Billy club. It got you off the ship on duty day otherwise your stuck on ship for 24 hours. Took the ship halfway through our deployment that some of us on shore patrol when we mustard at midnight at the provost marshal and were released some would not return to the ship that night and party, I was not one of them but after they figured out, then they did a head count to make sure we all returned. Now I go into a bar you are in pairs of two you break up fights or take complaints from the bars lucky never delt with trouble see a friend Smith he was from Texas and was on my bridge team out at sea he come up to me shows me this rotten egg it's Balut they ferment them how it is cooked it's about to hatch when they do this bones feather and all he sticks that smelly thing up to my noise then puts it in his mouth and you can hear the bones cracking still can’t believe Smith ate it he was trying to get my goat and he did. My Balut story.