What do you drive???

Discuss your favorite music, TV shows & movies, cars and sports here.
Ryeguy
Name: Chris

Re: What do you drive???

Post by Ryeguy » Mon Oct 10, 2022 12:43 pm

ezcheese wrote:
Mon Oct 10, 2022 8:11 am

Here's a question I always have for people who heavily mod their 4wd Toyotas, why didn't you just buy a TRD Pro?
I've been running Toyota Tacoma's for the past 12 years and the consensus amongst Tacoma owners is the TRD Pro is the right rig to purchase if you don't ever want to mod your rig in the future.

If you want to build it "your way" instead of the factory's way, then the Off Road is the best choice to start with as it offers crawl control and locking diff's, but doesn't come at a huge MSRP premium.

As Hoppy states, you actually pay a significant premium to purchase the TRD Pro when you could save thousands (and arguably have a better performing rig) by buying aftermarket suspension components and installing them yourself using the Off Road as the base platform.

Heck, with the Tacoma, you can actually buy the TRD Pro suspension and grill from Toyota for your Off Road for only about $1,100. A lot of guys do this to keep everything still covered under the Toyota warranty, but most will admit they could've spent quite a bit less if Toyota branding wasn't important.

@Hoppy - now that you have the viper cut, get yourself over to Southern Style Offroad and check out their slimline hybrid front bumpers with the winch cut out. They are pretty popular and have a good reputation with the Tacoma guys.

I think their hybrid bumper keeps the closest to the factory in looks, yet still provides a solid mounting point for a winch.

Panerai7
Name: Art

Post by Panerai7 » Mon Oct 10, 2022 12:51 pm

hoppyjr wrote:
Sun Oct 09, 2022 9:30 am
Seppia wrote:Great stuff Ed. Did you sell the Telluride or are you keeping both?
Traded.
:thumbsup: :clap: thank god

hoppyjr
HJ
Name: Hoppy

Post by hoppyjr » Mon Oct 10, 2022 12:52 pm

I’m not changing the bumper or adding the metal ends, as I don’t need it. The guy who did the cut finished the edges with black trim.

I do hace the Southern Style Offroad washer tank cover/skid ordered to hide & protect that piece.

ezcheese
Cheese Connoisseur
Name: Derek

Post by ezcheese » Tue Oct 11, 2022 4:10 am

Ryeguy wrote:
Mon Oct 10, 2022 12:43 pm
ezcheese wrote:
Mon Oct 10, 2022 8:11 am

Here's a question I always have for people who heavily mod their 4wd Toyotas, why didn't you just buy a TRD Pro?
I've been running Toyota Tacoma's for the past 12 years and the consensus amongst Tacoma owners is the TRD Pro is the right rig to purchase if you don't ever want to mod your rig in the future.

If you want to build it "your way" instead of the factory's way, then the Off Road is the best choice to start with as it offers crawl control and locking diff's, but doesn't come at a huge MSRP premium.

As Hoppy states, you actually pay a significant premium to purchase the TRD Pro when you could save thousands (and arguably have a better performing rig) by buying aftermarket suspension components and installing them yourself using the Off Road as the base platform.

Heck, with the Tacoma, you can actually buy the TRD Pro suspension and grill from Toyota for your Off Road for only about $1,100. A lot of guys do this to keep everything still covered under the Toyota warranty, but most will admit they could've spent quite a bit less if Toyota branding wasn't important.

@Hoppy - now that you have the viper cut, get yourself over to Southern Style Offroad and check out their slimline hybrid front bumpers with the winch cut out. They are pretty popular and have a good reputation with the Tacoma guys.

I think their hybrid bumper keeps the closest to the factory in looks, yet still provides a solid mounting point for a winch.
This is definitely true if you’re really doing a lot of off roading, but what I generally see around here is that people will never take them off road and they just want their toyota to look cosmetically like a trd pro. To each their own!

The only mod I’ve done on my trd pro has been adding the little trd colors on the grille :gayumbrella:
F5E9580A-3EAE-489A-965E-EA38563F2F92.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

hoppyjr
HJ

What do you drive???

Post by hoppyjr » Sat Oct 29, 2022 11:47 pm

I’ve owned the 4Runner Off-Road Premium for about three weeks now. I’m almost “done” personalizing it to my liking.

So far I’ve added or upgraded all lighting, supplemental high beams, etc etc. running a SwitchPros controller (in a SDHQ dash panel) for all the goodies, which include a Wilson cell phone booster and Midland 50w GMRS mobile radio, each with matching stubby antenna mounted in the rear roof. A light bar for the hood scoop is being made by Armor Light Company.

I went with the stainless steel MILLERCAT shield, which will be installed next week. Then some newly released Diode Dynamics rear lighting and a few more interior mods.

I absolutely love this thing and I’m pretty sure I’ll never sell it. A dream come true.

JDC222
Demander of Intro Threads
Name: Dave

Post by JDC222 » Sun Oct 30, 2022 7:58 am

hoppyjr wrote:
Sat Oct 29, 2022 11:47 pm
I’ve owned the 4Runner Off-Road Premium for about three weeks now. I’m almost “done” personalizing it to my liking.

So far I’ve added or upgraded all lighting, supplemental high beams, etc etc. running a SwitchPros controller (in a SDHQ dash panel) for all the goodies, which include a Wilson cell phone booster and Midland 50w GMRS mobile radio, each with matching stubby antenna mounted in the rear roof. A light bar for the hood scoop is being made by Armor Light Company.

I went with the stainless steel MILLERCAT shield, which will be installed next week. Then some newly released Diode Dynamics rear lighting and a few more interior mods.

I absolutely love this thing and I’m pretty sure I’ll never sell it. A dream come true.

Very Nice Ed, love it!

"I absolutely love this thing and I’m pretty sure I’ll never sell it." - said Ed after each and every watch purchase :lol:
Whisky has killed more men than bullets, but most men would rather be full of whisky than bullets.
Winston Churchill.

Erratic101
Name: Justyn

Post by Erratic101 » Sun Oct 30, 2022 8:17 am

JDC222 wrote:
hoppyjr wrote:

Very Nice Ed, love it!

"I absolutely love this thing and I’m pretty sure I’ll never sell it." - said Ed after each and every watch purchase :lol:
ImageImageImage

Captdave

Post by Captdave » Sun Oct 30, 2022 10:35 am

hoppyjr wrote:I’ve owned the 4Runner Off-Road Premium for about three weeks now. I’m almost “done” personalizing it to my liking.

Congrats buddy! That looks totally bad ass!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Live fast, die young, and leave a good looking corpse.

Ryeguy

Post by Ryeguy » Mon Oct 31, 2022 4:05 am

I think your drivers license is priority #1. At least you are moving to a metropolitan area that is used to getting international tourists, so you should be able to rent a car with your Italian drivers license without issue, but that will get expensive.

I kinda doubt, however, that you’ll be able to test drive a vehicle using your Italian license. I don’t think you need a license to buy it, but you’ll need a license to insure it and you need proof of insurance to register the car.

I think you should be able to get a FL driver license with your rental property address. Review the documents you’ll need for the DMV and you probably can make it happen. I’m guessing your W2 has the rental address and you’ll probably have a rental insurance policy (for your property) with the address. I think you only need 2 proof of residency documents (plus your immigration documents).

Once you buy a home, just update the addresses on your license.

We have increasing interest rates here, so the housing market and car market has been effected. This might actually help you, but expect mortgage rates above 6% now, so be prepared.

As for cars, I’d just recommend something that is easy to repair with parts readily available. I’m partial to the Jeep.

Captdave

What do you drive???

Post by Captdave » Mon Oct 31, 2022 10:30 am

Whichever car you get I’d look for certified preowned. That way you get the advantage of buying a essentially new vehicle with a full warranty while paying a used vehicle price. For what it’s worth that’s generally how I buy my vehicles.
Maybe add Lexus to your list. Have good “image” and are essentially a toyota so great reliability etc…

toxicavenger
President Tranny
Name: HeadDIK

Post by toxicavenger » Mon Oct 31, 2022 10:36 am

Our new addition
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

kfalk
Old Chub
Name: Kelly

Post by kfalk » Mon Oct 31, 2022 12:42 pm

You fancy SOB. Looks great Terry

hoppyjr
HJ

Post by hoppyjr » Mon Oct 31, 2022 12:48 pm

toxicavenger wrote:Our new addition
Looking good T!

ezcheese
Cheese Connoisseur

Post by ezcheese » Mon Oct 31, 2022 12:59 pm

hoppyjr wrote:

looks badass
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

ezcheese
Cheese Connoisseur

Post by ezcheese » Mon Oct 31, 2022 1:18 pm

Seppia wrote:
Mon Oct 31, 2022 1:55 am
I will be moving to the states in around 10 days and will need to purchase a car.

I need the forum wisdom on 1/ which car to buy and 2/ how to navigate through some admin hell

1/ which car?

I am not a car guy, but living in FL I'll need one. Family is wife, 3yo son and myself.
If it were for me I'd get a shit car like a Nissan Versa, but because of my job I need something nicer.
Some things to keep in mind:

- I plan to drive as little as possible (ie looking to rent close to the office).
- I need a car that can be driven by my wife, so anything larger than a Midsize SUV is a no go (so no Yukon/Tahoe etc)
- I want something reliable and as low maintenance as possible
- Looking to buy second hand with low mileage (thinking sub-30k? what do you think?) as this has always seemed to me like the best deal in general: you get a car that's almost new at 25-30% off sticker price (in normal times - now maybe 20-25%)
- Don't need too many bells and whistles but would probably not buy the base models for mainstream cars (could certainly work for luxury stuff like Audi/BMW etc)
- will buy in cash if that can be a way to negotiate a better price? is it "better" for the dealer to sell to a cash buyer?
- looking to spend as little as possible, but realistically I'm hoping I can get away with $30-36k max

Candidates so far are:

- 2019/2020 Jeep Grand Cherokee - probably Limited Trim. Like: widely available, flies under the radar, 6cyl, I assume low cost of maintenance?
- 2020 Volkswagen Atlas or Atlas Sport with 6cyl engine - probably SEL w/technology. Like: seems like an incredible value for money (VW have probably a higher positioning here in Europe VS the US. I understand Atlas is made for the US/Mexico market but these cost less than a Telluride second hand)
- 2019 or so Audi Q5 base model. Like: probably the size my wife will prefer (Jeep and Atlas are bigger than she'd like), don't like the 4cyl engine.
- Volkswagen Tiguan. Like: the cheapest of the bunch, my wife would love it. I'm thinking though perception wise this is not a "good" car in the USA?
- Honda CR-V. Like: can probably buy a nicer trim. Probably same "perception" issue of the Tiguan?
- Telluride. probably would be an EX trim, on the upper end of what I'd like to spend. The doubt is they tend to hold their value very well. Good for the seller - not so for me.

What do you guys think?
I'm open to any suggestion!

2/ I also have a question on driver's licenses, maybe someone here can help

- I have a NY driver license which is expired.
- I do understand one needs a valid driver license to buy a car? is that correct?
- I understand I would need to go to the DMV in Florida (relocating around Miami) with proof of address.
- issue is I do not have a set apartment at this moment (booked an Airbnb for a month so that the wife can look for what she likes).

Is there any way (through my employment contract, or any other way) that I can show that I actually live in FL so that they give me a FL Driver License?
If possible I’d like to avoid renting a car for multiple months… I booked a shit car for one month and it's $1300 when everything is said and done...

Thanks!
Whatever you get, the Florida heat will beat the shit out of it!
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

ezcheese
Cheese Connoisseur

Post by ezcheese » Mon Oct 31, 2022 1:21 pm

toxicavenger wrote:
Mon Oct 31, 2022 10:36 am
Our new addition
hell yeah bruv. I want an LC500 real badd but it's gonna be a couple of years.
I might end up getting an RC-F instead. A bit more practical but I want another sweet Toyota V8.
Lexus sedans are based.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Selym
Name: Myles

Post by Selym » Mon Oct 31, 2022 2:05 pm

toxicavenger wrote:
Mon Oct 31, 2022 10:36 am
Our new addition
Very nice!

Did you sell the Genesis?

Ryeguy

Post by Ryeguy » Mon Oct 31, 2022 3:30 pm

hoppyjr wrote:

Cool! Now you need to have it wrapped!

This is what some guy on the Tacoma forums is doing for inspiration:
3C4E8F05-9333-47D9-96F0-EE6E8C28BC30.jpeg
A924DE25-28D6-4F0A-BCB9-DCFD37E2EE29.jpeg

Captdave

Post by Captdave » Mon Oct 31, 2022 3:55 pm

That’s cool T! Congrats

hoppyjr
HJ

What do you drive???

Post by hoppyjr » Mon Oct 31, 2022 4:14 pm

Ryeguy wrote:
hoppyjr wrote:

Cool! Now you need to have it wrapped!

This is what some guy on the Tacoma forums is doing for inspiration:
3C4E8F05-9333-47D9-96F0-EE6E8C28BC30.jpeg
A924DE25-28D6-4F0A-BCB9-DCFD37E2EE29.jpeg
Thanks guys, I think it came out great.

Nope, decals-wrap are not my style. I’m pretty conservative when it comes to emblems, decals, and…..well, almost everything else.

59yukon01
1.21 gigawatts?!
Name: David

Post by 59yukon01 » Mon Oct 31, 2022 6:13 pm

We've had 4 certified pre-owned vehicles in the last 20 years. Highly recommend that route regardless of car brand.

59yukon01
1.21 gigawatts?!
Name: David

Post by 59yukon01 » Mon Oct 31, 2022 6:19 pm

Nice! We used to have a GS300. Probably the best road trip car I've ever driven. Comfort and sporty all in one.

dnslater
Name: Nick

Post by dnslater » Tue Nov 01, 2022 3:42 am

hoppyjr wrote:
Mon Oct 31, 2022 4:14 pm
I’m pretty conservative when it comes to emblems, decals, and…..well, almost everything else.
No kidding? :grin:

Seriously nice truck though.... I have fantasies about getting an old school 4Runner before I give into our electric future...

demer03
Current Forecast: Vintage Doxa
Name: Mike

Post by demer03 » Tue Nov 01, 2022 5:39 am

Stepping out of comfort zone. Sold the Silverado and trying a Colorado Z71.

Old Michigan steams like a young man's dreams
The islands and bays are for sportsmen

hoppyjr
HJ

Post by hoppyjr » Tue Nov 01, 2022 7:19 am

demer03 wrote:Stepping out of comfort zone. Sold the Silverado and trying a Colorado Z71.

Congrats Mike. Perfect color combo. Image