What do you drive???

Discuss your favorite music, TV shows & movies, cars and sports here.
toxicavenger
President Tranny
Name: HeadDIK

Re: What do you drive???

Post by toxicavenger » Wed Aug 11, 2021 7:39 pm

hoppyjr wrote:
Wed Aug 11, 2021 7:28 pm
toxicavenger wrote:
bedlam wrote:
Tue Aug 10, 2021 7:12 pm
dnslater wrote:
Tue Aug 10, 2021 1:31 pm
Great thing about those cars is that you could wind them out and have fun at legal speeds. Now everything is heavy with stupid amounts of HP/Torque and grip.
Yes. It's a mistake to chase big numbers and end up with a car that only really feels like it performs once you are doing stuff that will kill you if you get anything wrong.

The most driving fun I've had was in small hot hatches. They didn't have the huge numbers but were just a riot to drive for even the average person.
the 2 best driving cars I ever owned was a 84' GTI and Dodge GLHS. super fun rides.
I’d love to have either one right now.
i have a guy in hood that has owned his GTI since it had 17 miles on it in 84'. But i can't get him to let it go, yet :whistle:

HapaHapa
Name: Eric

Post by HapaHapa » Wed Aug 11, 2021 10:04 pm

toxicavenger wrote:
Wed Aug 11, 2021 6:37 pm
bedlam wrote:
Tue Aug 10, 2021 7:12 pm
dnslater wrote:
Tue Aug 10, 2021 1:31 pm
Great thing about those cars is that you could wind them out and have fun at legal speeds. Now everything is heavy with stupid amounts of HP/Torque and grip.
Yes. It's a mistake to chase big numbers and end up with a car that only really feels like it performs once you are doing stuff that will kill you if you get anything wrong.

The most driving fun I've had was in small hot hatches. They didn't have the huge numbers but were just a riot to drive for even the average person.
the 2 best driving cars I ever owned was a 84' GTI and Dodge GLHS. super fun rides.
One of my uncles owned a GLHS. Very fun car.

Ryeguy
Name: Chris

Post by Ryeguy » Fri Aug 20, 2021 4:12 am

Just traded in my old Tacoma on..... another Tacoma. I know variety is the spice of life, but the Tacoma just fits the bill for what I need. It is a TRD Off Road Black-Out edition.
32489451-80CD-49CA-B331-411ABC20CB41.jpeg
Delivered Wednesday and I’ve already added:
- Bed Mat (keeps surfboards from getting scuffed and crap in the bed from sliding around
- Bed Extender (long boards in a short bed are a bit precarious without the extender)
- Tonneau cover - LOMAX 3 panel flip style to keep the bed reasonably secure
- OEM auto lock for the tailgate lock (ties the tailgate lock to the passenger door lock so it can be locked and unlocked using the key fob)
- Front bash plate

Still on the to-be-added list are:
- Wet Okole seat covers (expensive, but waterproof neoprene works well to keep the seats clean with my family of beach creatures)
- Fluid Film the crap out of the undercarriage (will be done before the fall and annually thereafter)

What’s the collective opinion on ceramic paint coating? I’ve never done it before, but I know Toyota paint is typically soft. Just wondering if it is worth the effort.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

JP Chestnut
Name: Jacob

Post by JP Chestnut » Fri Aug 20, 2021 6:16 am

^^^ ceramic can be worth it, or it can be a total pain in the ass. It depends on how you prep the paint, what coating you use, and how you maintain it.

Ryeguy

Post by Ryeguy » Fri Aug 20, 2021 6:25 am

JP Chestnut wrote:
Fri Aug 20, 2021 6:16 am
^^^ ceramic can be worth it, or it can be a total pain in the ass. It depends on how you prep the paint, what coating you use, and how you maintain it.
Doing a little research on the topic suggests you are dead on correct on this point. There are some horror stories out there regarding improper ceramic applications needing to have a body shop correct.

I’m now thinking it’s better for me to simply do what I’ve always done to clean the truck. It a truck, not a show car.

JP Chestnut

Post by JP Chestnut » Fri Aug 20, 2021 7:42 am

Ryeguy wrote:
Fri Aug 20, 2021 6:25 am
JP Chestnut wrote:
Doing a little research on the topic suggests you are dead on correct on this point. There are some horror stories out there regarding improper ceramic applications needing to have a body shop correct.

I’m now thinking it’s better for me to simply do what I’ve always done to clean the truck. It a truck, not a show car.
Check out this combo:
https://detailingconnect.com/products/c ... eGEALw_wcB

It requires reapplication but not too frequently.

smalls
Name: Matt

Post by smalls » Fri Aug 20, 2021 1:14 pm

Well, just drove 4 hours to pick up this guy. With the chip shortage it’s the closest one I could find that wasn’t already sold. Traded my 4 year old f-150 and they gave me more on trade then I paid new! Crazy times.

This one has the newer inline 6 duramax 3.0L diesel. So far so good and the gas mileage has been great. Averaging 27mpg!

toxicavenger
President Tranny

Post by toxicavenger » Fri Aug 20, 2021 4:25 pm

Ryeguy wrote:
JP Chestnut wrote:

you need to do paint correction before investing in ceramic coating. my brother got a 2 year warranty on his ceramic coating.

personally i use a good coat of collinte's every year and it works fantastic. https://www.collinite.com/product/no-47 ... oublecoat/

toxicavenger
President Tranny

Post by toxicavenger » Fri Aug 20, 2021 4:26 pm

smalls wrote:
Fri Aug 20, 2021 1:14 pm
Well, just drove 4 hours to pick up this guy. With the chip shortage it’s the closest one I could find that wasn’t already sold. Traded my 4 year old f-150 and they gave me more on trade then I paid new! Crazy times.

This one has the newer inline 6 duramax 3.0L diesel. So far so good and the gas mileage has been great. Averaging 27mpg!

stunner! and great mpg :thumbsup:

Selym
Name: Myles

Post by Selym » Fri Aug 20, 2021 5:34 pm

Ryeguy wrote:
JP Chestnut wrote:

Avalon King is supposed to be pretty forgiving.

You really can't beat a Toyota. Congratulations!

JP Chestnut

Post by JP Chestnut » Fri Aug 20, 2021 5:47 pm

Selym wrote:
Fri Aug 20, 2021 5:34 pm
Ryeguy wrote:
JP Chestnut wrote:

Avalon King is supposed to be pretty forgiving.

You really can't beat a Toyota. Congratulations!
You don't really want forgiving. You want effective. 95% of the effort of applying a ceramic is in the paint prep and taping of trim. If you're going to spend 20+ hours doing that, it better last many many many years with only minimal maintenance.

jswing
Founder, TDWC MM300 Fan Club
Name: Jeff

Post by jswing » Tue Aug 24, 2021 2:54 pm

smalls wrote:Well, just drove 4 hours to pick up this guy. With the chip shortage it’s the closest one I could find that wasn’t already sold. Traded my 4 year old f-150 and they gave me more on trade then I paid new! Crazy times.

Very nice, love the Sierra. That's crazy that you got more than you paid for your trade.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

jswing

Post by jswing » Tue Aug 24, 2021 2:58 pm

Ryeguy wrote:Just traded in my old Tacoma on..... another Tacoma. I know variety is the spice of life, but the Tacoma just fits the bill for what I need. It is a TRD Off Road Black-Out edition.
- Bed Mat (keeps surfboards from getting scuffed and crap in the bed from sliding around
- Bed Extender (long boards in a short bed are a bit precarious without the extender)
- OEM auto lock for the tailgate lock (ties the tailgate lock to the passenger door lock so it can be locked and unlocked using the key fob)
- Front bash plate

- Wet Okole seat covers (expensive, but waterproof neoprene works well to keep the seats clean with my family of beach creatures)
- Fluid Film the crap out of the undercarriage (will be done before the fall and annually thereafter)

What’s the collective opinion on ceramic paint coating? I’ve never done it before, but I know Toyota paint is typically soft. Just wondering if it is worth the effort.
Nice Taco. I kind of regret not trying one before buying my Ranger.

Ryeguy

Post by Ryeguy » Tue Aug 24, 2021 5:59 pm

jswing wrote:
Tue Aug 24, 2021 2:58 pm
Ryeguy wrote:Just traded in my old Tacoma on..... another Tacoma. I know variety is the spice of life, but the Tacoma just fits the bill for what I need. It is a TRD Off Road Black-Out edition.

- Front bash plate

Thanks!

I test drove a loaded Ranger before I bought the Taco and was really, really, tempted. They are nice trucks.

The reason I stayed with the Tacoma was mostly due to resale value. I tend to keep vehicles a long time and Tacoma’s hold their value like nothing I’ve ever seen before. My last Taco was 12 years old and I still got $16K in trade in.

jswing

Post by jswing » Wed Aug 25, 2021 9:43 am

Ryeguy wrote:
Tue Aug 24, 2021 5:59 pm
jswing wrote:
Tue Aug 24, 2021 2:58 pm

- Front bash plate

Thanks!

I test drove a loaded Ranger before I bought the Taco and was really, really, tempted. They are nice trucks.

The reason I stayed with the Tacoma was mostly due to resale value. I tend to keep vehicles a long time and Tacoma’s hold their value like nothing I’ve ever seen before. My last Taco was 12 years old and I still got $16K in trade in.
Don't get me wrong, I love my Ranger, I just regret that I didn't even cross shop the Taco. I bought mine at the height of the pandemic, and even scheduling a test drive was next to impossible. A Ford dealer in Philly actually delivered the Ranger to me during a time that dealerships were technically not allowed to have showrooms open, so that alone (plus I love the truck itself) sold me.

Ryeguy

Post by Ryeguy » Thu Aug 26, 2021 4:10 am

^^^^ Yes, there is a lot to be said for a dealer who is willing to go the extra mile for you.

I’m looking forward to hearing how those Rangers hold up over time. I actually appreciate Ford coming up with the Ranger as it pushes Toyota to improve their offerings. The Tacoma is really ready for an update.

bedlam
Name: Carl

Post by bedlam » Thu Aug 26, 2021 4:20 am

Ryeguy wrote:
Thu Aug 26, 2021 4:10 am
^^^^ Yes, there is a lot to be said for a dealer who is willing to go the extra mile for you.

I’m looking forward to hearing how those Rangers hold up over time. I actually appreciate Ford coming up with the Ranger as it pushes Toyota to improve their offerings. The Tacoma is really ready for an update.
What is the roof load limit on the Taco?

Ryeguy

Post by Ryeguy » Thu Aug 26, 2021 6:53 am

bedlam wrote:
Thu Aug 26, 2021 4:20 am
Ryeguy wrote:

I think the limit on a roof rack is about 100 lbs. Maybe a bit more if you are using an aftermarket rack instead of the factory roof rails, but they are still only attached to the roof using relatively small bolts to captive nuts welded into the roof sheet metal at the factory.

I had factory roof rails on my last Tacoma and never mounted anything heavier than a surfboard or kayak up there.

A lot of the overland rigs I see around here have roof top tents attached to the bed, usually mounted above a hard shell (such as a Leer shell). I think the bed can support 800 lbs, so plenty strong enough for a tent.

bedlam
Name: Carl

Post by bedlam » Thu Aug 26, 2021 5:24 pm

Ryeguy wrote:
Thu Aug 26, 2021 6:53 am
bedlam wrote:
Thu Aug 26, 2021 4:20 am
Ryeguy wrote:

I think the limit on a roof rack is about 100 lbs. Maybe a bit more if you are using an aftermarket rack instead of the factory roof rails, but they are still only attached to the roof using relatively small bolts to captive nuts welded into the roof sheet metal at the factory.

I had factory roof rails on my last Tacoma and never mounted anything heavier than a surfboard or kayak up there.

A lot of the overland rigs I see around here have roof top tents attached to the bed, usually mounted above a hard shell (such as a Leer shell). I think the bed can support 800 lbs, so plenty strong enough for a tent.
Yeah, ok. I think the Hilux in Oz has a 150 pound limit...so similar.

Ryeguy

Post by Ryeguy » Wed Sep 08, 2021 4:09 am

johngrey wrote:
Wed Sep 08, 2021 3:53 am
Plagiarism in this forum, in my opinion, is more akin to being completely unmotivated at work than academic plagiarism. The majority of bounty hunters regard this as a source of cash and do not wish to put up any effort. Forcing them to read an explanation will not resolve this irreconcilable conflict.
WTF :scratch:

r.palace

Post by r.palace » Wed Sep 08, 2021 5:58 am

johngrey wrote:Plagiarism in this forum, in my opinion, is more akin to being completely unmotivated at work than academic plagiarism. The majority of bounty hunters regard this as a source of cash and do not wish to put up any effort. Forcing them to read an explanation will not resolve this irreconcilable conflict.
Alright, I think it’s time this one gets the boot.
ImageImage
Many will register, few will last :htfu:

Selym
Name: Myles

Post by Selym » Wed Sep 08, 2021 8:53 am

r.palace wrote:
Wed Sep 08, 2021 5:58 am
johngrey wrote:Plagiarism in this forum, in my opinion, is more akin to being completely unmotivated at work than academic plagiarism. The majority of bounty hunters regard this as a source of cash and do not wish to put up any effort. Forcing them to read an explanation will not resolve this irreconcilable conflict.
Alright, I think it’s time this one gets the boot.
This forum needs to separate from this guy. Anyone know of a good divorce attorney?

Giovanni20

Post by Giovanni20 » Tue Sep 14, 2021 2:18 am

Ryan wrote:
Wed Dec 23, 2009 10:35 pm
Mercedes Benz CLK. 2doors RWD and kinda "big" for a coupe!
Would be best if black :grin:

raf42
Fister
Name: Rob

Post by raf42 » Tue Sep 14, 2021 7:17 am

Giovanni20 wrote:
Tue Sep 14, 2021 2:18 am
Ryan wrote:
Wed Dec 23, 2009 10:35 pm
Mercedes Benz CLK. 2doors RWD and kinda "big" for a coupe!
Would be best if black :grin:
You are quoting a post from over 11 years ago? :raised:

dnslater
Name: Nick

Post by dnslater » Tue Sep 14, 2021 7:20 am

raf42 wrote:
Tue Sep 14, 2021 7:17 am

You are quoting a post from over 11 years ago? :raised:
As his/her first post here??? Weird that someone would make an account on a watch forum to post about the color of someone's car from 11 years ago... to each their own....