What do you drive???

Discuss your favorite music, TV shows & movies, cars and sports here.
porschefan

Re: What do you drive???

Post by porschefan » Fri May 14, 2010 5:20 pm

37,000 yesterday, '02.
Tim
A firm believer in - and enjoying a personal relationship with my wife
Life's too long for crappy food, beer, wine & watches.
"I cook with wine, sometimes I even add it to the food."--W.C. Fields

Rick-Holland

Post by Rick-Holland » Sat May 15, 2010 4:41 am

Bought a Volvo S60 2.4 from my neighbour it has a ugly green colour but it drives ok!

hazmatman
DWC Tribal Council
Name: Der Brummbär

Post by hazmatman » Fri May 28, 2010 7:52 am

Well, I guess I should abuse the opportunity to gratuitously re-post my SRT pics :grin:

Drove it to Hotlanta & back last week. Managed 21mpg on one tank and am averaging 17.4mpg overall. Not bad.

I have replaced the ugly white plastic dealer tag with a USAF plate while I await uglier MD State tags.

She goes in next week for the SATNAV & parking sensor installation, as well as the new windshield. Window tinting will come later.

More to come...

ezcheese
Cheese Connoisseur
Name: Derek

Post by ezcheese » Fri May 28, 2010 8:28 am

I'm coming around on that one. I think I like it better than the new Camaro now.

Why are you getting a new windshield? :shock:
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Diaboliq
Strap Maker Extraordinaire
Name: Joe

Post by Diaboliq » Fri May 28, 2010 8:40 am

Yeah, why the new windshield?? :shifty:

And the SRT-- I LOVE IT, looks great :cheers:
Click:

hazmatman
DWC Tribal Council

Post by hazmatman » Fri May 28, 2010 9:27 am

The windshield got scratched at some point while on the dealer lot.

It's a short deep and very straight gouge in the glass right below the driver's sightline. It looks like it might have occurred when someone was cleaning it 'cause it was not there when I first test drove the car, but it is glaring obvious once you see it.

matt.wu
Wu
Name: m@

Post by matt.wu » Fri May 28, 2010 9:32 am

Posing with your car is just not quite the same if you're not a young, hot gal..... :lol: :lol: :lol:
:htfu:

hazmatman
DWC Tribal Council

Post by hazmatman » Fri May 28, 2010 9:51 am

matt.wu wrote:Posing with your car is just not quite the same if you're not a young, hot gal..... :lol: :lol: :lol:
The little woman wanted to "capture the moment" when we picked it up, as a result you see me...she refused to pose.

I do look better when inside the car...probably 'cause you can see less of me. :lol:

craniotes
Thread Pooper
Name: Ad Rock

Post by craniotes » Fri May 28, 2010 10:18 am

hazmatman wrote:Drove it to Hotlanta & back last week. Managed 21mpg on one tank and am averaging 17.4mpg overall. Not bad.

My God, is this what we've been reduced to? Talking about gas mileage when you could be talking about the 425 horses produced from the 6.1 liters of 'murican know-how lurking underneath that hood?

Oh, the humanity!

Regards,
Adam
CAPT. THREAD POOPER

hazmatman
DWC Tribal Council

Post by hazmatman » Fri May 28, 2010 10:27 am

ezcheese wrote:I'm coming around on that one. I think I like it better than the new Camaro now.

Why are you getting a new windshield? :shock:
As a not-so-young man anymore, what won me over was the ride. The SRT is bigger and heavier than the Camaro or Mustang. This equals less work when driving. It soaks up bumps, ripples, potholes and other pavement imperfections better. It's less cramped than the 'stang or the Camaro. In SRT trim, the suspension and brakes are phenomenal! A big jump up from the RT; not to mention the difference between the variable displacement 5.7 HEMI vs. the Always a V8 6.1 HEMI. It feels planted no matter how hard I drive it. In the end, it's a more enjoyable ride.

Sure the Camaro & Mustang can pull a tenth or two more G's. They'll tear up the 1/4 mile a shade quicker.

SO?

I drive on the street...where the LAW rules, not the stopwatch.

JUST FOR ADAM: Trust me, you can smoke the tires & fling the rear end with enough right foot (I've done it). You can go quite a bit above the posted speed limit (done that too). You can get pulled over for doing either (and I know a NC Trooper who does not care if you are LE & will give you a ticket when he catches up with you :rolleyes: ).

The Challenger is the most retro of the three retro muscle cars. It is styled closest to the original. The Camaro is the least traditionally styled and the Mustang seems to be creeping towards the Camaro with it's recent front & rear end re-design (I thought the pre-2010 'stang styling was fantastic & even considered getting one of the Bullitt versions but build quality was hit & miss). I do understand they want to sell cars to folks who are not 40-something, so things will change with the Challenger over time I imagine, but inside & out, the current Challenger beats the other two when I spend my money.

PLUS I have always liked Mopars. Quirky cars. Quirky colors. MONSTER powerplants.

They are like the old McDonnell Douglas F-4 Phantom. You add enough power and you can make a brick fly!

The F-4 was the primary aircraft at my first flying base. I love the big beast. So I guess my choice reflects my age...but I'm not trying to be 20. I've done that already.

The best quote I have read online about the Dodge Challenger SRT8 was from Motor Trend: ...if Harley-Davidson made cars.

I'm only sad because next year the SRT8 is supposed to get th 6.4 HEMI...with 450-500HP. Until then, I will be forced to live with just the 425 I manage to get from this:

craniotes
Thread Pooper
Name: Ad Rock

Post by craniotes » Fri May 28, 2010 8:29 pm

Now that's more like it...

God bless America.

Regards,
Adam

PS - When you're ready to trade up to the 6.4L drop me a line -- I'll be happy to take this slug off your hands.
CAPT. THREAD POOPER

hazmatman
DWC Tribal Council

Post by hazmatman » Sun May 30, 2010 8:49 am

The gossip online is that when they bring the 6.4 HEMI into the Challenger, it too will be a variable displacement mill like the 5.7.

So, it will supposedly have 450-500HP but make better gas mileage than my 6.1...we shall see.

SCM64
Global Mod/Sinn fanboy

Post by SCM64 » Sun May 30, 2010 9:07 am

Damn Doug, those are pretty good MPG numbers for a beast like that. :cheers:
Steven

Sexually Desirable RockStar Moderator

hazmatman
DWC Tribal Council

Post by hazmatman » Sun May 30, 2010 9:18 am

Trust me, that was a whole lot of self control to get that number.

Amolai

Post by Amolai » Wed Jun 16, 2010 1:16 pm

the wife drives a 08 Mustang V6 and I roll in an 88 Porsche 944! :fro:

425ranger
OMGWTFBBQ
Name: Bill

Post by 425ranger » Wed Jun 16, 2010 1:21 pm

Amolai wrote:....I roll in an 88 Porsche 944! :fro:

SWEET

/HOTlinked
Retired
Key West, FL
Have a sparkling day.

BSears
The Grumpy Global Mod
Name: Mr. Dibs
Location: Big Blue Nation, Land of the Free-Home of the Brave

Post by BSears » Wed Jun 16, 2010 1:26 pm

Nice SRT Doug. Of all the re-issues coming out as of late, I think the Challenger is the only one that sticks closest to its roots.

I don't think I ever even replied to this thread when we started it back in the day. Currently, we're in a 2007 Avalon XLS - no pics, not like you'd care to see it, not much really. :shrug: Thinking very seriously about trading it in for a 2010 Tundra 4x4 Crew Cab platinum or D-Cab limited. Haven't committed just yet and not sure when we will with all the gd home renovations we got going on right now. :rolleyes: Oh well, I can still peruse the lots and put those dealers to work, can't I? :lol:
You give respect, you'll get respect - you just don't know your place.

hazmatman
DWC Tribal Council

Post by hazmatman » Thu Jun 17, 2010 10:22 am

BSears wrote:Nice SRT Doug. Of all the re-issues coming out as of late, I think the Challenger is the only one that sticks closest to its roots.
That's what appealed to me. The Camaro was less retro and the Mustang has been out long enough they are already massaging the retro styling cues out of it. I wanted a new car that was a close to what I wanted when I was a teenager...hence the Challenger. It also helped it was the most comfortable [most powerful lazy boy I could find].
BSears wrote:I don't think I ever even replied to this thread when we started it back in the day. Currently, we're in a 2007 Avalon XLS - no pics, not like you'd care to see it, not much really. :shrug: Thinking very seriously about trading it in for a 2010 Tundra 4x4 Crew Cab platinum or D-Cab limited. Haven't committed just yet and not sure when we will with all the gd home renovations we got going on right now. :rolleyes: Oh well, I can still peruse the lots and put those dealers to work, can't I? :lol:
Work those salespeople Brad...I did ;)

It just so happened that the dealer that had the right car actually had the right salesman. He was all softsell, no pressure and most importantly he didn't lie and make up some specification that didn't exist, talk about an option he didn't understand, lie about a competitive model. I almost felt bad when I brow beat them over price, options and free oil changes...almost. Once a salesman starts trying to cover me with their BS, which only proves they don't know sh&t about the car we're sitting in, I want nothing further to do with them.

I hate salespoeple who don't know their product and then try to BS you:

"Why yes, you can watch movies on that, and it also makes free satellite phone calls. The Ford won't do that."

"Oh, that noise, that's normal. It happens everytime the hooflanger valve opens and closes, part of our exclusive alien safety system."

"These tires were designed by NASA. You can drive 100,000 miles on them & they never need to be rotated. Charlie Sheen has them on his Mercedes, no way you can run off the road with these."

"That's the best price you will find anywhere."

So, if they are a scumbag lying sack of a borderline criminal salesperson, I tell them flat-out: You guys have the best selection I have seen at any dealer. I've heard great things about you. You're definitely getting my business...can I drive that one, that one and that one.

Salesperson: I thought you wanted a Challenger? That's a Viper and the other one is the owner's Ferrari.

Do you want to sell me those cars or don't you?

:smack:

jimyritz
Masshole
Name: Mike

Post by jimyritz » Thu Jun 17, 2010 10:43 am

Very cool car----always wanted one just not practical here in the Northeast...

Best of luck w/it....

Mike

Rambam
DWC Tribal Council
Name: Barney Gumble

Post by Rambam » Thu Jun 17, 2010 10:58 am

hazmatman wrote:Well, I guess I should abuse the opportunity to gratuitously re-post my SRT pics :grin:

Drove it to Hotlanta & back last week. Managed 21mpg on one tank and am averaging 17.4mpg overall. Not bad.

I have replaced the ugly white plastic dealer tag with a USAF plate while I await uglier MD State tags.

She goes in next week for the SATNAV & parking sensor installation, as well as the new windshield. Window tinting will come later.

More to come...

I hate you :cussing:
Honey Badger FTW!!!

toxicavenger
President Tranny
Name: HeadDIK

Post by toxicavenger » Thu Jun 17, 2010 11:55 am

425ranger wrote:
Amolai wrote:....I roll in an 88 Porsche 944! :fro:

SWEET

/HOTlinked
The 951 is one of my dream cars. Besides a 928 S4. :drool:

hazmatman
DWC Tribal Council

Post by hazmatman » Thu Jun 17, 2010 2:45 pm

Ah well, I don't need too many reasons for gratuitous reposts of the SRT8; hence, the following:

Designed by people who really really love cars
for people who really really love cars
to drive past people who really don't care about cars at all.

Booyah!

Coming to a road near you.

userfriendly

Post by userfriendly » Thu Jun 17, 2010 2:48 pm

hazmatman wrote:Well, I guess I should abuse the opportunity to gratuitously re-post my SRT pics :grin:

More to come...

Awesome car.
--Jay--

hazmatman
DWC Tribal Council

Post by hazmatman » Thu Jun 17, 2010 3:33 pm

BTW...my average mpg with the 6.1 HEMI has...ahhh, dropped...a bit.

Overall it's 17.1mpg...but the last few tanks were in the 15mpg range.

I think there is something wrong with the gas pedal. :rolleyes:

Oh, btw...just for fun. Any Charger owners out there???

Also, is it just me, or does it suck that GM dumped the Pontiac nameplate without ever building a new Firebird Formula or TransAm on the new Camaro chassis? I know my first thoughts when Chrysler announced they were dropping the Plymouth nameplate in 2001...no chance at a new Barracuda.

Amolai

Post by Amolai » Fri Jun 18, 2010 10:53 am

I'm a mustang guy myself but the challenger is :drool: