65' VW Bug project

Discuss your favorite music, TV shows & movies, cars and sports here.
four20
Name: erik

Re: 65' VW Bug project

Post by four20 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:11 pm

Terry- wasn't the Manassas show called the "Bug-in?" Or was that the name of the Bandimere show and Manasas was the "Bug-out?"

jimyritz
Masshole
Name: Mike

Post by jimyritz » Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:20 pm

Love it Terry- My Aunt had a white convertible- man, I wish I had that car now...

toxicavenger
President Tranny
Name: HeadDIK

Post by toxicavenger » Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:28 pm

four20 wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:11 pm
Terry- wasn't the Manassas show called the "Bug-in?" Or was that the name of the Bandimere show and Manasas was the "Bug-out?"
Bugout was Manassas. Bandimere was Bug-in. Bro one year I was Manassas and turbo Bug lost it rear tire. That mofo slapped some dude upside the head!!! That was back when the track was more old school. :mrgreen:

I do not remember what show it was, maybe H20 :shrug: , but some dude had an imported A3 S imported from Europe. He got drunk and pissed off and ran thru the grass at the show doing donuts. That mtf'er ended up pretty much totally the whole car. The people who owned the field banned the show if recall after that.

The most I even did was get drunk at our table at the show and fall asleep in the van. I know super exciting. :crybaby:

toxicavenger
President Tranny

Post by toxicavenger » Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:30 pm

JDC222 wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:24 am
toxicavenger wrote:
hobbit712 wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 3:35 am
Sweet ride Terry!

I learned to drive on a 67 and 66 camper van. Wish I still had that one. The 67 I totaled racing another Bug. :shock: :lol:
Hahaha nice. I just looked at a 69' bay window yeasterday. :whistle:
That’s what mine is, 69’ Bay Campmobile

Buy it!!
Believe me I know. :crybaby: It was a tin top. I have to pay for the Bug first. :pray:

toxicavenger
President Tranny

Post by toxicavenger » Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:31 pm

jimyritz wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:20 pm
Love it Terry- My Aunt had a white convertible- man, I wish I had that car now...
Never to late bro. :mrgreen:

jimyritz
Masshole

Post by jimyritz » Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:32 pm

toxicavenger wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:31 pm
jimyritz wrote:
============

I wish I had the skills.. and a place to store in the winter..

toxicavenger
President Tranny

Post by toxicavenger » Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:05 pm

jimyritz wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:32 pm
toxicavenger wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:31 pm
jimyritz wrote:
============

I wish I had the skills.. and a place to store in the winter..
One thing about aircooled VW's is they are super simplistic and forgiving. That is why they have some longevity and people like owning them. The garage part I am not so sure about. :mrgreen:

deepcdvr
Flipper Extraordinaire
Name: Paul

Post by deepcdvr » Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:16 pm

This thread is awesome... I love VW bugs, but only from afar as I have zero time for hobbies ;(

Good stuff
VR/
Paul

SI VI PACEM, PARA BELLUM

toxicavenger
President Tranny

Post by toxicavenger » Sat Aug 24, 2019 8:58 pm

Ton of work done lately. I aligned all the doors, rebuilt the shifter and shift rod tube, rebuilt the gas/clutch pedal with a clutch cable safety wire. Sorry not many pics. Here are a few.
^^^I started with that above and this is what it looks like now. It is more responsive for sure. Janky carpet will go away soon.

Tons of cleaning since i do not believe this car has ever been really cleaned. I did polish the paint out. It is looking decent for how old it is. I will get more pics soon.

Ryeguy
Name: Chris

Post by Ryeguy » Sun Aug 25, 2019 4:54 am

Aww, just gotta love working on rusty bits like that. Living in New England, rusty car parts is just a way of life. Penetrating oil and the ol’ flame wrench are sometimes my most used tools. I also recommend reverse thread drill bits in the event you break a bolt.

Do you have access to a blasting cabinet? You could probably make some of those old components look new again with a media blast and a fresh coat of paint.

JDC222
Demander of Intro Threads
Name: Dave

Post by JDC222 » Sun Aug 25, 2019 10:02 am

Looks fun Terry....I love that stuff!
Whisky has killed more men than bullets, but most men would rather be full of whisky than bullets.
Winston Churchill.

toxicavenger
President Tranny

Post by toxicavenger » Sun Aug 25, 2019 10:21 am

Ryeguy wrote:
Sun Aug 25, 2019 4:54 am
Aww, just gotta love working on rusty bits like that. Living in New England, rusty car parts is just a way of life. Penetrating oil and the ol’ flame wrench are sometimes my most used tools. I also recommend reverse thread drill bits in the event you break a bolt.

Do you have access to a blasting cabinet? You could probably make some of those old components look new again with a media blast and a fresh coat of paint.
I have reverse bits for sure. Luckily here the most I have to use is a propane torch and some PB Blaster.

I do not have a blasting cabinet. I do have a blaster. I honestly do not use it much due to pitting and being to lazy to get it out. I usually use a angle grinder with a twister wire brush on the end of it. Then some Rustoluem with primer. I will break it out when I take the chassis apart this winter to do some heavy cleaning.

toxicavenger
President Tranny

Post by toxicavenger » Sun Aug 25, 2019 10:22 am

JDC222 wrote:
Sun Aug 25, 2019 10:02 am
Looks fun Terry....I love that stuff!
I do when I want to do the work. Not when I have too. :mrgreen:

demer03
Current Forecast: Vintage Doxa

Post by demer03 » Sun Aug 25, 2019 12:54 pm

That’s sweet. Lisa and I are looking at a vintage bug as well for a summer ride.
Old Michigan steams like a young man's dreams
The islands and bays are for sportsmen

Ryeguy

Post by Ryeguy » Sun Aug 25, 2019 5:46 pm

toxicavenger wrote:
Sun Aug 25, 2019 10:21 am
Ryeguy wrote:

I have reverse bits for sure. Luckily here the most I have to use is a propane torch and some PB Blaster.

I do not have a blasting cabinet. I do have a blaster. I honestly do not use it much due to pitting and being to lazy to get it out. I usually use a angle grinder with a twister wire brush on the end of it. Then some Rustoluem with primer. I will break it out when I take the chassis apart this winter to do some heavy cleaning.
I'm redoing an old boat trailer that has been soaked in salt water about a thousand times in the past dozen years. I'm not even bothering to try to loosen bolts. I'm just cutting the bolts with my angle grinder and replacing them. I think I'm $100 deep into U-bolts and grade-8 fasteners so far.

I'm using 36 grit flap discs on the angle grinder plus my welding hammer to knock the scale off the roller bracket arms. It's just coming off in quarter size flakes. It looks like someone emptied a box of rust colored cereal under the trailer after a day's work.

It's kinda gorilla workmanship, but it's only a trailer so I'm not too worried about it. I'm just making it safe for the limited road use it'll see (only once in the spring and again in the fall - as long as I don't break anything on the boat!)

toxicavenger
President Tranny

Post by toxicavenger » Sun Aug 25, 2019 7:54 pm

Ryeguy wrote:
Sun Aug 25, 2019 5:46 pm
toxicavenger wrote:
Ryeguy wrote:

I'm redoing an old boat trailer that has been soaked in salt water about a thousand times in the past dozen years. I'm not even bothering to try to loosen bolts. I'm just cutting the bolts with my angle grinder and replacing them. I think I'm $100 deep into U-bolts and grade-8 fasteners so far.

I'm using 36 grit flap discs on the angle grinder plus my welding hammer to knock the scale off the roller bracket arms. It's just coming off in quarter size flakes. It looks like someone emptied a box of rust colored cereal under the trailer after a day's work.

It's kinda gorilla workmanship, but it's only a trailer so I'm not too worried about it. I'm just making it safe for the limited road use it'll see (only once in the spring and again in the fall - as long as I don't break anything on the boat!)
Boat trailers are tough. Since they used box steel on them they can put up with stuff. When I loved down south on the lake I had buddy bearings on mine also to help with maintenance. What are you painting it with?

Ryeguy

Post by Ryeguy » Mon Aug 26, 2019 4:10 am

toxicavenger wrote:
Sun Aug 25, 2019 7:54 pm
Ryeguy wrote:
Sun Aug 25, 2019 5:46 pm
toxicavenger wrote:
Ryeguy wrote:

Boat trailers are tough. Since they used box steel on them they can put up with stuff. When I loved down south on the lake I had buddy bearings on mine also to help with maintenance. What are you painting it with?
I’m using cold galvanize paint. I’ve used POR-15 in the past which is good stuff, but expensive. My only issue with POR-15 is the metal can rust behind the POR-15 coating, leaving just a pretty coating with nothing behind it.

Bearing buddies are essential up here, as is a liberal application of marine-grade grease. It is also nice that my boat ramp has a hose so you can rinse off the trailer after it comes out of the ocean. That fresh water rinse alone probably does as much as anything else to protect the trailer.

Selym
Name: Myles

Post by Selym » Mon Aug 26, 2019 1:40 pm

Why don't they make the trailers from aluminum?

Ryeguy

Post by Ryeguy » Mon Aug 26, 2019 1:43 pm

Selym wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2019 1:40 pm
Why don't they make the trailers from aluminum?
They do today. Galvanized steel was the order of the day until fairly recently.

My dual axle is a 2005 and is galvanized steel.

toxicavenger
President Tranny

Post by toxicavenger » Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:26 pm

We have been driving the heck out this car! I have started collecting some parts for it.

Later model 68' split axle transmission, it has better gears in it for highway driving.
Factory style air cleaner.
I had a friend of mine recondition an extra right rear fender for the bug. It has some rot that needed repair and a good paint job.

My buddy was also working on his Vanagon an (2) Porsche 356 rebuilds. He does a ton of 356 work.

JDC222
Demander of Intro Threads
Name: Dave

Post by JDC222 » Sat Sep 14, 2019 7:33 am

toxicavenger wrote:We have been driving the heck out this car! I have started collecting some parts for it.

Later model 68' split axle transmission, it has better gears in it for highway driving.
Factory style air cleaner.
I had a friend of mine recondition an extra right rear fender for the bug. It has some rot that needed repair and a good paint job.

My buddy was also working on his Vanagon an (2) Porsche 356 rebuilds. He does a ton of 356 work.
Looks like fun! Wish you were closer, I’d come by and join the fun!!
Whisky has killed more men than bullets, but most men would rather be full of whisky than bullets.
Winston Churchill.

sierra11b
Name: Eric

Post by sierra11b » Mon Sep 16, 2019 2:35 pm

Those door mounted air conditioning units look so cool on any period-correct car. They sure are a head turner and always reminded me of some fly-by-wire rocket system.

toxicavenger
President Tranny

Post by toxicavenger » Mon Sep 16, 2019 3:12 pm

JDC222 wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2019 7:33 am
Looks like fun! Wish you were closer, I’d come by and join the fun!!
The fun will be happening soon. I will be putting in some new heater channels and transmission. :mrgreen:

toxicavenger
President Tranny

Post by toxicavenger » Mon Sep 16, 2019 3:13 pm

sierra11b wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2019 2:35 pm
Those door mounted air conditioning units look so cool on any period-correct car. They sure are a head turner and always reminded me of some fly-by-wire rocket system.
those things are selling for about 700 and up. that is crazy. i threw away a bunch of them in the early 90's :banghead:

toxicavenger
President Tranny

Post by toxicavenger » Sat Sep 21, 2019 8:06 pm

Minor updates. Kind of doing things that do not necessarily need to be done but I wanted them done.
Stripping all the surface rust off the back of the bumpers and painting them black
Before
After
Clean all the surface rust under the brake reservoir and windshield washer reservoir (forgot the before pic)
I need to do the gas tank next and clean out the inside of it. At that time I will be running a new gas line thru the floor pan channel.

Take apart the hood latch assembly and regrease

Removed damaged right rear fender that was damaged from a flat tire in the 80's. The fender was pretty much shredded. I start retapping the fender nuts and bolts. I will get a welder next week and fill in some of the tear's in the fender well.
Fender
Area that needs some welding and pounding.

Broken bumper mount bolts. One came free, the other I will have to cut out and weld a new nut in.

Front end afterwards