65' VW Bug project

Discuss your favorite music, TV shows & movies, cars and sports here.
DoctorC
Name: Greg

Re: 65' VW Bug project

Post by DoctorC » Sat Sep 21, 2019 8:11 pm

Looking sharp! Nice work.
You're inspiring me to get the Alfa back on the road.
Greg

toxicavenger
President Tranny
Name: HeadDIK

Post by toxicavenger » Sat Oct 19, 2019 10:14 am

My daughter and I dropped the engine to do come clean up work. We are also putting in a later model transmission for lower rpms while cruising the highway.

I have new shocks, engine tar board insulation, clean up more wiring, and reseal the engine.

Good times.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ncstate1201
Name: Geoff B

Post by ncstate1201 » Sat Oct 19, 2019 11:07 am

Cool ride cant wait to see even more pics

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

JDC222
Demander of Intro Threads
Name: Dave

Post by JDC222 » Sat Oct 19, 2019 11:31 am

You need this 2176cc in there!!

Whisky has killed more men than bullets, but most men would rather be full of whisky than bullets.
Winston Churchill.

unixshrk
This. Truth.
Name: Chris

Post by unixshrk » Sat Oct 19, 2019 2:36 pm

JDC222 wrote:You need this 2176cc in there!!

Nice!!

toxicavenger
President Tranny

Post by toxicavenger » Sat Oct 19, 2019 4:13 pm

I found some brass German spades and multiple sizes of loom sheathing today at a local electronics wholesaler. Unfortunately I found out he is retiring and closing shop after 33 years.😩
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

toxicavenger
President Tranny

Post by toxicavenger » Sat Oct 19, 2019 5:06 pm

JDC222 wrote:
Sat Oct 19, 2019 11:31 am
You need this 2176cc in there!!

cool motor. to much for this guy though. maybe at a later date

toxicavenger
President Tranny

Post by toxicavenger » Sat Oct 19, 2019 7:29 pm

toxicavenger wrote:
Sat Oct 19, 2019 4:13 pm
I found some brass German spades and multiple sizes of loom sheathing today at a local electronics wholesaler. Unfortunately I found out he is retiring and closing shop after 33 years.😩
I had a question about the German spade connectors on why they are better than the regular style. Most of the ones you can buy at an auto parts store are cheap aluminium ones that corroded really easily and do not fit as tight as the brass german version. The other issue is the style of connector they are. When you crimp the aluminium versions they usually only have one center section that is crimped. This is not enough unless you also solder them. The german style actually has two sets of ears that crimp down into a U shape. The first set crimps into the stranded wire and the second set crimp down into the insulation.

I know everyone has their ideas on whats best but for me the german style seems to have more longevity to them. Since I will be fixing/cleaning up the rest of the wiring on the VW I want to do right so I do pay for it later.

The loom sheathing I got today is almost like heat shrink tubing. It is the same style that came on a lot of older german cars. It is a solid piece without a split down the side. It is a very durable product. It can tougher to troubleshoot bad wiring with this solid style of sheathing, but protects the wiring and isn't as bulky as other versions on the market. Since this wiring will be routed behind the engine tar board (insulation) I need to use the best stuff I can.

Here are some pics I stole offline that I have modded with info. :salute:

HapaHapa
Name: Eric

Post by HapaHapa » Sat Oct 19, 2019 8:50 pm

Local electronics wholesaler. Don’t see many of that kind of shop anymore.

I wish I had your car skills, T. That looks like a lot of fun. It’s great you are doing this with your daughter. Those hands-on craft skills aren’t being learned by very many in the recent generation.
The Hapa

toxicavenger
President Tranny

Post by toxicavenger » Sat Oct 19, 2019 9:56 pm

I forgot to post this pic. I had my buddy rebuild a rear fender for me since the last one was shredded when a tire blew out in the 80-90's. The previous owner never got around to fixing it. I am not a body working guy but I did weld up all the holes from the accident and skim it with a little putty. The paint job on this car is about 30 years old so I tried to find something that will match it. I have not sprayed any clear on that area yet but I did mount the finished fender and welded in two new fender nuts.

toxicavenger
President Tranny

Post by toxicavenger » Sun Oct 20, 2019 12:45 pm

HapaHapa wrote:
Sat Oct 19, 2019 8:50 pm
Local electronics wholesaler. Don’t see many of that kind of shop anymore.

I wish I had your car skills, T. That looks like a lot of fun. It’s great you are doing this with your daughter. Those hands-on craft skills aren’t being learned by very many in the recent generation.
My daughter is helping out. She isn't really sure if she wants to. And I totally get it with her being a teenage. But hopefully she learns something from it. One thing is she likes to tinker, so that is always a plus.

Car skills? I can tear one apart that is for sure. :mrgreen:

Henryj
Bubblehead
Name: Old guy

Post by Henryj » Sun Oct 20, 2019 3:55 pm

DoctorC wrote:
Sat Sep 21, 2019 8:11 pm
Looking sharp! Nice work.
You're inspiring me to get the Alfa back on the road.
Outta curiosity, what model Alfa? I took on a ‘69 GTV 1750 project a long while back. Apparently, Marelli is Italian for “Lucas rejects”.
“Punishable by fine” = Legal for a price.”

toxicavenger
President Tranny

Post by toxicavenger » Sun Oct 20, 2019 5:17 pm

I started removing the cooling tins from the engine and I found a pretty big rats nest on each side of the engine. This had to be obstructing the cooling of the engine some. Not many leaks on the engine except for the front engine seal area. When the flywheel was removed (I didn't have the tools so my Porsche buddy did that part) we found out the flywheel seal had harden to the point that is was also leaking. I also broke a few exhaust bolts so I will change them all out. I will also install a new exhaust gaskets on the engine.

Pics of the nest.

unsub073
Name: chris

Post by unsub073 » Mon Oct 21, 2019 7:52 am

I am always impressed with people that can do stuff like this. Thanks for the updates T.

JDC222
Demander of Intro Threads
Name: Dave

Post by JDC222 » Mon Oct 21, 2019 8:02 am

Hey Terry, while you have everything out and apart, consider relocating the fuel filter from the engine bay to the underside of the car, near the gearbox, where the hard line comes out of the tunnel. Make sure it’s secured, so it doesn’t bounce around. Also, make sure you install it in the correct orientation, so that the flow of the fuel matches the flow arrow on the filter...Many engine fires could have been prevented, if the fuel filter wasn’t mounted over the engine.

Looking great so far buddy!!
Whisky has killed more men than bullets, but most men would rather be full of whisky than bullets.
Winston Churchill.

toxicavenger
President Tranny

Post by toxicavenger » Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:36 am

JDC222 wrote:
Mon Oct 21, 2019 8:02 am
Hey Terry, while you have everything out and apart, consider relocating the fuel filter from the engine bay to the underside of the car, near the gearbox, where the hard line comes out of the tunnel. Make sure it’s secured, so it doesn’t bounce around. Also, make sure you install it in the correct orientation, so that the flow of the fuel matches the flow arrow on the filter...Many engine fires could have been prevented, if the fuel filter wasn’t mounted over the engine.

Looking great so far buddy!!
Dave thanks for the suggestion. The previous owner had some cheap fuel line on it. So I changed it all out with german cloth braided line and put a Hastings metal filter above the drivers side rear tire. Next I will clean the tank out really good on it and change the tank filter. :salute:

toxicavenger
President Tranny

Post by toxicavenger » Thu Nov 14, 2019 9:57 am

A few updates. I cleaned the package area under the Bug. The undercoating was hiding some surface rust. Since the car is meant to be a daily driver now frame off crazy $15k restorations.

I brushed on Rust-Oleum to cover the metal up. The are better options at higher cost. But with the way things are I am trying to not spend as much.

All of the engine tin I sandblasted and painted. The new to me transmission is cleaned and I rebuild the throw out bearing.

Next is to get the transmission installed and motor resealed with new gaskets. It ran good already but it does has some leaks.

Ryeguy

Post by Ryeguy » Thu Nov 14, 2019 10:10 am

Do you have a small sand / media blaster at home?

There are so many times I've worked on stuff and wished I had a small blasting cabinet to knock the surface rust / old paint off stuff.

Another option is to pickle the rusted parts. Just toss them into a bucket of vinegar for a weekend or so. The acid will take off the rust and leave you surface you can paint. There are some Youtube videos on pickling rusted parts.

There are also chemicals you can use to soak off the rust, but they can be dangerous to use without proper safety precautions.

toxicavenger
President Tranny

Post by toxicavenger » Thu Nov 14, 2019 8:32 pm

Ryeguy wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 10:10 am

There are so many times I've worked on stuff and wished I had a small blasting cabinet to knock the surface rust / old paint off stuff.

Another option is to pickle the rusted parts. Just toss them into a bucket of vinegar for a weekend or so. The acid will take off the rust and leave you surface you can paint. There are some Youtube videos on pickling rusted parts.

There are also chemicals you can use to soak off the rust, but they can be dangerous to use without proper safety precautions.
I have a cheap portable sand blaster my Dad bought me about 8 years ago from Harbor Freight. https://www.harborfreight.com/portable- ... 37025.html I also have an Air Needle Scaler that does a great job on loose rust.

I sometimes use paint remover but I do not like having all those chemicals around the house.

hoppyjr
HJ
Name: Hoppy

Post by hoppyjr » Thu Nov 14, 2019 8:54 pm

This is all awesome. :clap:

amckiwi
Name: Stu

Post by amckiwi » Thu Nov 14, 2019 9:25 pm

Ryeguy wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 10:10 am

I believe molasses also works for removing rust but it may take longer

Ryeguy

Post by Ryeguy » Fri Nov 15, 2019 5:40 am

I’ve not heard that one, but getting rid of a bunch of old molasses seems like a potentially nasty task, not to mention the bugs and critters a pile of molasses would attract if left out over a weekend.

I may pick up one of those cheap blasters. I’ve got some boat trailer parts (fender hangers, etc.) I’d like to clean up. $30 and some quality time with a blaster and a rattle can of Rust-oleum beats $250 worth of new parts.

Selym
Name: Myles

Post by Selym » Fri Nov 15, 2019 3:40 pm

Phosphoric acid (naval jelly) converts rust to a material that can be painted over.

toxicavenger
President Tranny

Post by toxicavenger » Fri Nov 15, 2019 9:15 pm

Selym wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 3:40 pm
Phosphoric acid (naval jelly) converts rust to a material that can be painted over.
I use to use naval jelly when I lived on the east coast and worked on cars more frequently. That shit is rough, especially if you get it on your hands. Here most of what I have is rust scaling. So I just clean it up a bit and then use Rustoleum. I use to use POR15 but the uv rays where turning it to crap.

toxicavenger
President Tranny

Post by toxicavenger » Fri Nov 15, 2019 9:18 pm

Ryeguy wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 5:40 am
I may pick up one of those cheap blasters. I’ve got some boat trailer parts (fender hangers, etc.) I’d like to clean up. $30 and some quality time with a blaster and a rattle can of Rust-oleum beats $250 worth of new parts.
I have had better luck using brush on rustoleum. It seems to coat thicker. I wipe everything off really well with brake kleen or acetone before painting.

Oh get good blasting sand. Play sand does not work worth a shit.
Last edited by toxicavenger on Sat Nov 16, 2019 11:16 am, edited 1 time in total.