65' VW Bug project

Discuss your favorite music, TV shows & movies, cars and sports here.
toxicavenger
President Tranny
Name: HeadDIK

65' VW Bug project

Post by toxicavenger » Sun Aug 11, 2019 9:12 pm

Yes I had one a few years ago. I actually got stalled on it (work took all my time) and someone else wanted it more than I did. So I sold it uncompleted. :banghead:

Fast forward a few years later and I still had the Bug blues. I know, I know, I have only owned about 9 of them :crybaby: . But i guess mid-life crisis was calling. Either way I been kind of keeping an eye out for a decent one for a while now and prices are all over the board. I did not want a shitter but I wanted something I can drive right now to see what my daughter thinks. She is 13 now and I have been teaching her how to drive my Saab (don't tell the wife). :mrgreen:

I found one that an ex-hippie owned up in Green Mountain Falls. I am working on a cabin up there for a friend so I took the family up to see it. This is a 2nd owner car with 95k on it. It was used as a tow vehicle for most of them years behind an rv. The right rear fender suffered some damage when a bias ply tire blew out about 40 years ago. They decided to not fix the fender. No worries.

When my daughter saw the car she absolutely feel in love with it and asked if she could have. So of course I said yes. My said "why would you want something so old". :scratch: WTF is she talking about??? :shrug:

Either way we bought it. I drove it down the mountain with my daughter. Yes my wife was on pins and needles the whole time because it does not have seatbelts in it.

Plans for the car are to drive the shit out of it until the weather changes. Then I will replace the rusted heater channel on the drivers side (where the running boards go). I have another fender for it that my buddy will paint in a few weeks. The car has already been converted to 12 volts and has a later model 1600 motor in it. I have already rewired the engine to clean up the engine bay. It looks better but not perfect. I disassembled the wiper assembly and restored it to working condition and made it a 2-speed 12v system. I have installed lap belts right now, but I will put in 3-point versions later on. Rebuilt the stock brakes all the way around and installed a new german cloth fuel lines. I also uninstalled the fuel filter out of the engine bay and put it above the left rear tire. At this time I upgraded to a steel fuel filter and not the cheap plastic ones.

The car starts perfectly every time. It has been upgraded to an alternator instead of a generator at one point. This week I will rebuild all the shifter gommets and gas pedal assembly. One thing that I will address in the future is the swing axle transmission has a hum to it like it has a bad ring and pinon gear. I have already replaced the fluid but it is still humming. I called up a buddy of mine last week and found a later model replacement for it. That will be done later this year if this one holds up that long.

Either way my daughter is having a blast cruising in the car. Here are some pics I took of it today. I also added some USB ports in the glove box for charging cell phones. :mrgreen:
My daughter added some of her stickers. The rest are from the previous owner.
I cleaned up the dash wiring.
Lap belts, fire extinguisher, c02 detector, and parcel tray from my last VW.
Usb charging port

BacoNoir
Name: Roger

Re: 65' VW Bug project

Post by BacoNoir » Sun Aug 11, 2019 9:38 pm

Looks fantastic Terry! What a cool car and love the upgrades. I bet your daughter can’t wait until it’s hers.
www.simplynoble.net
Time Magazine Person of the Year - 2006

JDC222
Demander of Intro Threads
Name: Dave

Post by JDC222 » Sun Aug 11, 2019 9:43 pm

Very cool Terry! Once a V Dub guy, always a V Dub guy! You'll have lots of fun with your daughter in the 65' for sure!

Consider this, it's worth the $$, super easy to install for peace of mind

https://youtu.be/iePku-2jh7Y

https://www.cbperformance.com/product-p/blazecut.htm
Whisky has killed more men than bullets, but most men would rather be full of whisky than bullets.
Winston Churchill.

HapaHapa
Name: Eric

Post by HapaHapa » Sun Aug 11, 2019 10:14 pm

That’s tops !
The Hapa

mellonb1
Name: Brian

Post by mellonb1 » Sun Aug 11, 2019 10:28 pm

That's awesome T. Cool first ride for your daughter. Owned a few bugs and would love to own another someday.

four20
Name: erik

Post by four20 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 3:20 am

Oh, man that is sweet, Terry. It's too bad RMM closed up shop in Woodland Park. That would have been convenient for you (side note- I won Best of Class Mk1/Mk2 with an '83 tuna basket at their show one yr)

Sent from my Note8 using Tapatalk

1954Selmer
Name: RC

Post by 1954Selmer » Mon Aug 12, 2019 4:26 am

Dang! That looks great and I bet your daughter loves it.

59yukon01
1.21 gigawatts?!
Name: David

Post by 59yukon01 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 4:50 am

Very cool.

rockmastermike
Feedback Virtuoso
Name: WDE

Post by rockmastermike » Mon Aug 12, 2019 4:57 am

Super cool, Terry

dnslater
Name: Nick

Post by dnslater » Mon Aug 12, 2019 5:14 am

This looks like a blast Terry. Always thought it would be fun to restore one of these.

R@cerx
Name: David

Post by R@cerx » Mon Aug 12, 2019 5:21 am

Very clean!! Miss mine every time I see a cool one like this.

unixshrk
This. Truth.
Name: Chris

Post by unixshrk » Mon Aug 12, 2019 5:33 am

Looking good. I need to come check that out one weekend.

Sidheguitarist
Man of many calibers.
Name: Michael

Post by Sidheguitarist » Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:58 am

Tbear, one of the awesome things about you is how obvious it is how much your daughter means to you. Solid.

Plus, that bug is dope.
:thumbsup:

hoppyjr
HJ
Name: Hoppy

Post by hoppyjr » Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:57 am

This is outstanding! Congrats to you and your lucky daughter, she clearly has your car genes.

Will you adopt me and buy me one if I call you “Daddy”?

unsub073
Name: chris

Post by unsub073 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:39 am

That's awesome T.

jswing
Founder, TDWC MM300 Fan Club
Name: Jeff

Post by jswing » Mon Aug 12, 2019 12:43 pm

That's so cool. I love VWs. I had a Beetle when I was a teenager that I think I paid $60 for. It was a beater, but you couldn't kill it, it just kept driving. All these years later, I just paid off my Passat, so I guess I'm still a VW guy.

ChuckW
Name: Chuck

Post by ChuckW » Mon Aug 12, 2019 2:39 pm

I think I know where I could get an old bug locally in decent shape. The only thing that keeps me from doing it is the lack of ac. Summers in Atlanta are brutal.
No, it's not Tourettes.

JDC222

Post by JDC222 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 5:19 pm

ChuckW wrote:I think I know where I could get an old bug locally in decent shape. The only thing that keeps me from doing it is the lack of ac. Summers in Atlanta are brutal.
You can get air-conditioning for an old Beetle!

Whisky has killed more men than bullets, but most men would rather be full of whisky than bullets.
Winston Churchill.

toxicavenger
President Tranny

Post by toxicavenger » Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:58 pm

JDC222 wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 9:43 pm

Nice I will have to check that out. That looks like a must have. I wonder where you would put it on a Bug? Just under the deck lid or below the parcel shelf area?
mellonb1 wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 10:28 pm
That's awesome T. Cool first ride for your daughter. Owned a few bugs and would love to own another someday.
Brian I needed to get one. I got tired of dreaming about them. :mrgreen:
four20 wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 3:20 am
Oh, man that is sweet, Terry. It's too bad RMM closed up shop in Woodland Park. That would have been convenient for you (side note- I won Best of Class Mk1/Mk2 with an '83 tuna basket at their show one yr)
Yeah they closed up a long time ago. I use to order parts from them when I lived in Maryland. Luckily we still have a few great shops around here. Also one of my buddies is a metal guru who restores 356's and VW's here in the Springs. So I am helping him out with some trade out work.

Funny you won at one of their shows. During that time I was probably at a car show in Manassas or Waterfest.
1954Selmer wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 4:26 am
She loves it. Every time I ask if she wants to go cruising she is all smiles.
59yukon01 wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 4:50 am
Very cool. Image
:fro:
rockmastermike wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 4:57 am
Super cool, Terry
Thanks Mike. Soon your son needs one. :mrgreen:
dnslater wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 5:14 am
This looks like a blast Terry. Always thought it would be fun to restore one of these.
Sometimes it is fun restoring a car. I have to say as I get older I like them where they only need minor tweaks to make them right. :salute:
R@cerx wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 5:21 am
It is really clean, except for the fender and one heater channel.
unixshrk wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 5:33 am
:headbang:
Sidheguitarist wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:58 am
Tbear, one of the awesome things about you is how obvious it is how much your daughter means to you. Solid.

Plus, that bug is dope.
Thanks bro. My daughter is actually a good person. So I have no issues treating her good.
hoppyjr wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:57 am
I thought you were daddy last time? :think:
unsub073 wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:39 am
That's awesome T.
Thanks bro :thumbsup:
jswing wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 12:43 pm
That's so cool. I love VWs. I had a Beetle when I was a teenager that I think I paid $60 for. It was a beater, but you couldn't kill it, it just kept driving. All these years later, I just paid off my Passat, so I guess I'm still a VW guy.
I traded 2 cases of Yuengling for my first Bug. Good times for sure. The piston rings were frozen up in the cylinder walls. I put fresh oil in it and had my buddy drag me thru the neighbor as I continually popped the clutch to break it free. Once I got it free I drove it for a few years and sold it to my bro in MD. :rock:
ChuckW wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 2:39 pm
I think I know where I could get an old bug locally in decent shape. The only thing that keeps me from doing it is the lack of ac. Summers in Atlanta are brutal.
Believe it or not they sell great ac kits for them. https://www.gilmore-enterprises.net/inc ... it/114/144

toxicavenger
President Tranny

Post by toxicavenger » Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:56 pm

My daughter did not have a ton of fun today on the VW. I taught her how to remove all the chrome trim pieces and how I straighten them. They are made of super soft aluminium, they are so soft you can bend them while installing them. These look like they have not been removed in at least 30 years. There was a ton of dirt/mold behind them. We cleaned the paint on the car after they were removed.

In this pic I am showing all of the molding. The red box in the pic is showing the molding for the hood. It is tough to work the dents out due to the curve in the metal. So I worked it in sections. The piece was dented up really badly. I took a pair of needle nose pliers and slowly bent out the inner channel. That way I can get to the backside of the metal to work out the dents with my notched wooden block.

Not perfect but good enough imo. :mrgreen:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

JDC222

Post by JDC222 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:56 pm

toxicavenger wrote:
JDC222 wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 9:43 pm

Nice I will have to check that out. That looks like a must have. I wonder where you would put it on a Bug? Just under the deck lid or below the parcel shelf area?
mellonb1 wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 10:28 pm
Brian I needed to get one. I got tired of dreaming about them. :mrgreen:
four20 wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 3:20 am
Yeah they closed up a long time ago. I use to order parts from them when I lived in Maryland. Luckily we still have a few great shops around here. Also one of my buddies is a metal guru who restores 356's and VW's here in the Springs. So I am helping him out with some trade out work.

Funny you won at one of their shows. During that time I was probably at a car show in Manassas or Waterfest.
1954Selmer wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 4:26 am
She loves it. Every time I ask if she wants to go cruising she is all smiles.
59yukon01 wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 4:50 am
Very cool. Image
:fro:
rockmastermike wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 4:57 am
Super cool, Terry
Thanks Mike. Soon your son needs one. :mrgreen:
dnslater wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 5:14 am
Sometimes it is fun restoring a car. I have to say as I get older I like them where they only need minor tweaks to make them right. :salute:
R@cerx wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 5:21 am
It is really clean, except for the fender and one heater channel.
unixshrk wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 5:33 am
:headbang:
Sidheguitarist wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:58 am

Plus, that bug is dope.
Thanks bro. My daughter is actually a good person. So I have no issues treating her good.
hoppyjr wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:57 am
I thought you were daddy last time? :think:
unsub073 wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:39 am
That's awesome T.
Thanks bro :thumbsup:
jswing wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 12:43 pm
I traded 2 cases of Yuengling for my first Bug. Good times for sure. The piston rings were frozen up in the cylinder walls. I put fresh oil in it and had my buddy drag me thru the neighbor as I continually popped the clutch to break it free. Once I got it free I drove it for a few years and sold it to my bro in MD. :rock:
ChuckW wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 2:39 pm
Believe it or not they sell great ac kits for them. https://www.gilmore-enterprises.net/inc ... it/114/144
It literally clips anywhere!! No power source needed, activated by heat.
Winston Churchill.

toxicavenger
President Tranny

Post by toxicavenger » Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:58 pm

JDC222 wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:56 pm
It literally clips anywhere!! No power source needed, activated by heat.
Yeah they are essentially swamp coolers, right?

hobbit712
Name: Steve

Post by hobbit712 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 3:35 am

Sweet ride Terry!

I learned to drive on a 67 and 66 camper van. Wish I still had that one. The 67 I totaled racing another Bug. :shock: :lol:
https://watchidiotsavants3.godaddysites.com/
instagram @watchidiotsavants

Chase after the dream, don't chase after the money

toxicavenger
President Tranny

Post by toxicavenger » Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:06 am

hobbit712 wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 3:35 am
Sweet ride Terry!

I learned to drive on a 67 and 66 camper van. Wish I still had that one. The 67 I totaled racing another Bug. :shock: :lol:
Hahaha nice. I just looked at a 69' bay window yeasterday. :whistle:

JDC222

Post by JDC222 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:24 am

toxicavenger wrote:
hobbit712 wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 3:35 am
Sweet ride Terry!

Hahaha nice. I just looked at a 69' bay window yeasterday. :whistle:
That’s what mine is, 69’ Bay Campmobile

Buy it!!
Winston Churchill.