65' VW Bug project

Discuss your favorite music, TV shows & movies, cars and sports here.
toxicavenger
President Tranny
Name: HeadDIK

Re: 65' VW Bug project

Post by toxicavenger » Fri Nov 15, 2019 9:24 pm

I finally got the transmission in today. I ran a tap and die thru all the threads before assembly. I also was able to get some german transmission mounts, shifter cable, and throttle cable. I will get more some pics soon. I will be doing a light tear down on the motor in the next few days to replace the gaskets on it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

toxicavenger
President Tranny

Post by toxicavenger » Fri Jan 10, 2020 12:40 pm

I have been behind in updating this. Between my brother passing away and my whole family being sick things have been crazy to say the least.

toxicavenger
President Tranny

Post by toxicavenger » Fri Jan 10, 2020 12:56 pm

This is midway when I was scrubbing all the gunk off the engine.It took days to get all the baked dirt off of it.
Firewall factory style tar board installed. This will hopefully keep the temps and sound down. I got this version from WCM, they make the best one in the biz. You can see the janky wiring I was about to work.
What the old engine looked like.
This is it today with the wiring completed and everything painted. I resealed the engine with all new gaskets. It did not leak bad but it hasn't been touched in about 20-30 years so I believe it need some love.
Bottom of the engine. I have ran it for about 30 minutes so far. You can see some of the red anaerobic sealer I used on it. I tried to reuse as many original parts as possible. I still have some non-factory parts on the engine I will replace at a later date.
Factory pushrod tubes. I serviced them and reused them.
Oil drip on shitty chrome oil filter cover
New Top Line gas pedal assembly. The factory pedal on these cars are made out of tin. They distort over time and do not respond quickly. This one will fix that issue.
Right now the car has a electronic distributor and coil. They work good but they can give you a flat spot when accelerating. The factory points version is the best imo. This is a rebuilt OEM version with coil from VWNOS.

Now for the semi bad news. When I assembled the transmission axles I think I have something off. I need to drop the motor and transmission to see what is wrong. One good thing is everything is clean and all of the bolts have anti-seaze on them. So disassembly should go faster than before.

mellonb1
Name: Brian

Post by mellonb1 » Fri Jan 10, 2020 1:58 pm

Well done, T :thumbsup:. Project is coming along nicely. Following this thread makes me reminisce about the late 60's bugs I owned 30-35 years ago. Would love to own another someday.

JDC222
Demander of Intro Threads
Name: Dave

Post by JDC222 » Fri Jan 10, 2020 3:35 pm

Coming along well Terry! Your daughter must be excited too!!
Whisky has killed more men than bullets, but most men would rather be full of whisky than bullets.
Winston Churchill.

toxicavenger
President Tranny

Post by toxicavenger » Fri Jan 10, 2020 4:07 pm

mellonb1 wrote:
Fri Jan 10, 2020 1:58 pm
Well done, T :thumbsup:. Project is coming along nicely. Following this thread makes me reminisce about the late 60's bugs I owned 30-35 years ago. Would love to own another someday.
Time is running out brother! Get one NOW!!!
JDC222 wrote:
Fri Jan 10, 2020 3:35 pm
Coming along well Terry! Your daughter must be excited too!!
She was until I told her I have to pull the transmission to figure out what I messed up during installation. :crybaby: I will get to that soon, I hope.

toxicavenger
President Tranny

Post by toxicavenger » Sun Jan 19, 2020 9:51 pm

Pulled the transmission and found the first issue. The factory throwout bearing clips came loose. I picked up some heavy duty versions that will not go anywhere.

I installed the fulcrums (axle shims) wrong originally. So they were binding the axles.
It took a while but I got the fulcrums installed correctly. They are an absolute mofo to get right.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

toxicavenger
President Tranny

Post by toxicavenger » Sun Jan 26, 2020 9:01 pm

I figured out if you put the axles in at an angle you can get them in without disturbing the fulcrums (axle shims). What a pain in the ass.
I got that done, adjusted all the brakes and bled them. I have some interior things I will be doing this week to the car. But for right now it is running pretty good so my daughter and I took it cruising. This is what the engine looks like now.
I did make me some snap ring pliers because the snap ring on the axles have a lot of tension. So my regular pliers would not work. Nothing a grind won't fix.

toxicavenger
President Tranny

Post by toxicavenger » Sun Jan 26, 2020 9:04 pm

Oh and a pic of the Scurfa while I was figuring out transmission gaskets.

One of my 6309's got in on the action while I was making transmission gaskets.

toxicavenger
President Tranny

Post by toxicavenger » Mon Jan 27, 2020 12:23 pm

I am running the shit out of it today :excited:

toxicavenger
President Tranny

Post by toxicavenger » Fri Jan 31, 2020 8:28 pm

Pics from today when I picked up some new hoses from Motorworks Restorations

I also got to see this cool ride waiting on restoration. 1 of 61 of these cars left. VW Hebmuller

After all the work on our VW I never did check the fuel gauge to see how accurate it is. Luckily it was a good day for a walk.

toxicavenger
President Tranny

Post by toxicavenger » Sat Feb 08, 2020 8:46 am

I have been driving the dog shit out of this car. We got in a pretty big snow storm so I decided to drive it during the storm also. I think I have put about 300 miles on it since I finished up the motor and transmission. Good times.
Last edited by toxicavenger on Sat Feb 15, 2020 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

JDC222

Post by JDC222 » Sat Feb 08, 2020 8:58 am

Looks great Terry! The Beetles drive amazingly well in the snow!!
Whisky has killed more men than bullets, but most men would rather be full of whisky than bullets.
Winston Churchill.

Ryeguy
Name: Chris

Post by Ryeguy » Sat Feb 08, 2020 8:58 am

That’s awesome, Terry! It’s really a testimonial to those old engineers that the car is still so functional today.

BacoNoir
Name: Roger

Post by BacoNoir » Sat Feb 08, 2020 9:01 am

Love the fog lights and luggage rack - that’s bad ass!
www.simplynoble.net
Time Magazine Person of the Year - 2006

toxicavenger
President Tranny

Post by toxicavenger » Sat Feb 15, 2020 10:52 am

Homemade deck lid stand off. The 1600 motor needs some extra air due to how large the doghouse fan is for cooling the engine. If you do not give it the air it needs it will suffer and shut down. I did have a tennis ball propping up the deck lid (old trick). But I like this better.

JDC222

65' VW Bug project

Post by JDC222 » Mon Feb 17, 2020 11:34 am

You’ll get a kick out of this Terry, I’m at my buddy’s garage, where he builds world class VW Buses and his brother builds magazine worthy hot rods... and foam shark costumes, for a kids charity event...lol

Winston Churchill.

toxicavenger
President Tranny

Post by toxicavenger » Mon Feb 17, 2020 5:27 pm

JDC222 wrote:
Sat Feb 08, 2020 8:58 am
Looks great Terry! The Beetles drive amazingly well in the snow!!
The do. Even though my tires are super beat they still do quite well. The other day they closed work due to no one being able to make thru the snow and I did with the Bug. :salute:
Ryeguy wrote:
Sat Feb 08, 2020 8:58 am
That’s awesome, Terry! It’s really a testimonial to those old engineers that the car is still so functional today.
Agreed. I have some suspension parts to change out eventually but it is doing quite well. I did have a 42 day old (brand new) starter die on me the other day but luckily I was in the garage. I did have a back up one to run until I figure out what to do with this one.
BacoNoir wrote:
Sat Feb 08, 2020 9:01 am
Love the fog lights and luggage rack - that’s bad ass!
Thanks Roger. I have not hooked up the fog lights yet but I will do that soon. The luggage rack will probably get a few mods soon. :mrgreen:

toxicavenger
President Tranny

Post by toxicavenger » Mon Feb 17, 2020 5:51 pm

JDC222 wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 11:34 am
You’ll get a kick out of this Terry, I’m at my buddy’s garage, where he builds world class VW Buses and his brother builds magazine worthy hot rods... and foam shark costumes, for a kids charity event...lol
Damn Dave that is badass! Bro I wish I could do half that shit. One of my friends rebuild 356's from the ground up and it sickening to see what he can do with metal to make it match up. The other local guy I deal with just had his 23 feature in a VW magazine. He does some amazing work also http://www.motorworksrestorations.com/ not to mention he is backlogged for 2 years. Crazy bro!

Thanks for the share. :headbang:

toxicavenger
President Tranny

Post by toxicavenger » Mon Feb 17, 2020 5:55 pm

Funny I went to Cars and Coffee last saturday. I was the only one who made it due to snow. Bunch of pussy's! lol

I just installed an rebuilt og distributor. Shit is running great.
I also went thru and made sure everything is doing good on the transmission and engine since refreshing. It is all doing great and no leaks to report!!!

JDC222

Post by JDC222 » Mon Feb 17, 2020 7:22 pm

toxicavenger wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 5:51 pm
JDC222 wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 11:34 am
Damn Dave that is badass! Bro I wish I could do half that shit. One of my friends rebuild 356's from the ground up and it sickening to see what he can do with metal to make it match up. The other local guy I deal with just had his 23 feature in a VW magazine. He does some amazing work also http://www.motorworksrestorations.com/ not to mention he is backlogged for 2 years. Crazy bro!

Thanks for the share. :headbang:
Me too man! That Bus in the back is the 23 window electric...it's north of 150k now, into the build!! :fro:
Winston Churchill.

toxicavenger
President Tranny

Post by toxicavenger » Fri Feb 21, 2020 12:51 pm

JDC222 wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 7:22 pm
Me too man! That Bus in the back is the 23 window electric...it's north of 150k now, into the build!! :fro:
Crazy :scream:

ncstate1201
Name: Geoff B

Post by ncstate1201 » Sat Feb 22, 2020 3:52 am

This my favorite thread. I cant do any of this. I think I need to either buy a car after terry works on it or move next door to someone like terry and offer a free set of hands (for working on the car, got to be careful with this group)...

Impressive work

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

toxicavenger
President Tranny

Post by toxicavenger » Sat Feb 22, 2020 11:39 am

ncstate1201 wrote:
Sat Feb 22, 2020 3:52 am
This my favorite thread. I cant do any of this. I think I need to either buy a car after terry works on it or move next door to someone like terry and offer a free set of hands (for working on the car, got to be careful with this group)...

Impressive work

Geoff I honestly think I am a tinkerer. So I am not sure if I actually have professional skills per-see. Sometimes it takes multiple times for me to get something right. Where a professional might do it right the first time. But I like the challenge of it. :salute:

JDC222

Post by JDC222 » Sun Feb 23, 2020 3:20 pm

toxicavenger wrote:
ncstate1201 wrote:
Sat Feb 22, 2020 3:52 am

Impressive work

Geoff I honestly think I am a tinkerer. So I am not sure if I actually have professional skills per-see. Sometimes it takes multiple times for me to get something right. Where a professional might do it right the first time. But I like the challenge of it. :salute:

I’m the same Terry, I may not know how to do it but I’ll figure it out...even if it takes 2 or 7 times.

I’ve always said, I may not be smart but I’m clever. ;)
Winston Churchill.