Decision Made

Discuss your favorite music, TV shows & movies, cars and sports here.
User avatar
ericf4
(TBD) Penis
Posts: 15437
Joined: Wed Dec 02, 2009 6:04 am
Contact:

Re: Decision Made

Post by ericf4 » Tue Feb 04, 2020 11:59 am

lol the dealer near me looks really nice.....i think they are opening their own separate genesis dealerships.....not sure.
Visit my Music/Drumming Channel at:

https://youtube.com/ericfeuer

User avatar
mattcantwin
mattcreatestonsofwatchrelateddrama
Posts: 17286
Joined: Wed Dec 02, 2009 3:53 pm

Re: Decision Made

Post by mattcantwin » Tue Feb 04, 2020 12:44 pm

ericf4 wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 11:59 am
lol the dealer near me looks really nice.....i think they are opening their own separate genesis dealerships.....not sure.
I was speaking to the salesman about the Genesis, and he also said there would be a separate dealership opening...

in a different location.


I don't live in a Genesis town. :raised:
Image

User avatar
toxicavenger
President Tranny
Posts: 46954
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:25 am
Name: HeadDIK
Location: Colorado Springs

Re: Decision Made

Post by toxicavenger » Tue Feb 04, 2020 8:12 pm

mattcantwin wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 12:44 pm
ericf4 wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 11:59 am
lol the dealer near me looks really nice.....i think they are opening their own separate genesis dealerships.....not sure.
I was speaking to the salesman about the Genesis, and he also said there would be a separate dealership opening...

in a different location.


I don't live in a Genesis town. :raised:
our genesis dealer here is excellent. if i had the bank I would get the genesis suv. for now we will stick with our 5.0

User avatar
dnslater
Posts: 6485
Joined: Mon Apr 25, 2011 6:52 pm
Name: Nick
Location: Indiana, USA

Re: Decision Made

Post by dnslater » Wed Feb 05, 2020 4:54 am

JP Chestnut wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 11:54 am
ericf4 wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 11:50 am
JP Chestnut wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 11:38 am
Alfa makes a nice car. I'd never buy a Genesis if they are sold and serviced by a Hyundai dealer (as they are in Ithaca).
i think they are separate but not......I hear hyundai/genesis have good quality though....I wanted the Alfa last time, went to lease one and got sidetracked by the Volvo....
My local dealer is a Hyundai/Subaru/Genesis dealer and it's about the quality of a shit used car lot. Hopefully Genesis is better represented in Chicagoland. If not, they will be out of business in five years.
This is the big obstacle that Hyundai/Kia will need to overcome quick, as their lineups are solid and moving up market. Their dealership network is famous for being absolute dogshit as their business model for years has been to cater to sub-prime/high risk buyers. Suddenly they have good cars and buyers with good credit are being turned off by the dealership tactics.

When the Stinger was first released, there were a lot of stories about enthusiasts cross shopping them with Audi's and getting treated like shit in the Hyundai dealerships. Many wouldn't even allow test drives.

If they want Genesis to survive they absolutely need to spin off separate dealerships as buyers of luxury cars expect great service. We bought my wife a used Lexus hybrid to commute with, and she loves taking it in to get oil changes. She can wait next to a fireplace sipping free espresso in a leather lounge chair. Oil changes aren't cheap, but it is worth it for me to not have to deal with her car services anymore.

JP Chestnut wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 6:23 am
That’s true. A veloster n is calling to me. Too bad it doesn’t have heated seats.
GTI has very comfortable heated seats.... and your kids will be more comfortable in the back seats...

User avatar
JP Chestnut
Posts: 17474
Joined: Mon May 27, 2013 10:40 am
Name: Jacob
Location: Ithaca, NY USA

Re: Decision Made

Post by JP Chestnut » Wed Feb 05, 2020 5:29 am

The GTI is a little slow, but I really like the Mark 7.5 Golf R. My wife would be able to drive the DSG version as well, which is a plus.

User avatar
dnslater
Posts: 6485
Joined: Mon Apr 25, 2011 6:52 pm
Name: Nick
Location: Indiana, USA

Re: Decision Made

Post by dnslater » Wed Feb 05, 2020 5:38 am

JP Chestnut wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 5:29 am
The GTI is a little slow, but I really like the Mark 7.5 Golf R. My wife would be able to drive the DSG version as well, which is a plus.
I drove an MK7 GTI for several years and thought it was about as much power as you needed/wanted with a FWD platform. I love the Golf R, the new virtual cockpit is outstanding. The car is basically an S3 hatchback. The DSG is a great transmission. Can't go wrong with the Veloster either, they have been getting great reviews.

I needed a bit more space, so I traded my GTI in last year for a lightly used AWD 328i Wagon. Gave it a light tune and consider it sort of a stretched Golf R - the perfect family car :grin: . I love hot hatches, but not sure if I would go back to FWD.

Image

caesarmascetti
Posts: 1466
Joined: Thu Feb 25, 2010 4:43 pm

Re: Decision Made

Post by caesarmascetti » Wed Feb 05, 2020 5:42 am

dnslater wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 5:38 am
JP Chestnut wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 5:29 am
The GTI is a little slow, but I really like the Mark 7.5 Golf R. My wife would be able to drive the DSG version as well, which is a plus.
I drove an MK7 GTI for several years and thought it was about as much power as you needed/wanted with a FWD platform. I love the Golf R, the new virtual cockpit is outstanding. The car is basically an S3 hatchback.

I needed a bit more space, so I traded my GTI in last year for a lightly used AWD 328i Wagon. Gave it a light tune and consider it sort of a stretched Golf R - the perfect family car :grin: . I love hot hatches, but not sure if I would go back to FWD.

Image
I almost bought a GTI but needed more cargo room, picked this up added a Stage 2 APR tune, rear strut brace, Koni FSDs. Faster than a stock GTI handles great 100,000 miles and no issues

Image

User avatar
dnslater
Posts: 6485
Joined: Mon Apr 25, 2011 6:52 pm
Name: Nick
Location: Indiana, USA

Re: Decision Made

Post by dnslater » Wed Feb 05, 2020 5:50 am

caesarmascetti wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 5:42 am
I almost bought a GTI but needed more cargo room, picked this up added a Stage 2 APR tune, rear strut brace, Koni FSDs. Faster than a stock GTI handles great 100,000 miles and no issues

Image
I came close to going that direction, would have certainly been the more practical choice and they can come in AWD and manual.

User avatar
Torrid
Posts: 6464
Joined: Fri Oct 05, 2012 6:43 am
Name: Heath
Location: Wisconsin

Re: Decision Made

Post by Torrid » Wed Feb 05, 2020 7:01 am

My last two vehicles have been white. While I let my truck get dirty and use it like a truck, it’s not as bad as I would have originally envisioned being white. I wish I was ok with leasing and if it works well for you and you like regularly upgrading it’s a great option and much cheaper than dealing with trade in depreciation. I leased once and wished I had bought in the first place because I wanted to keep the vehicle longer. I will say that it was nice to have the option to turn the vehicle in after 3 years if I decided I didn’t want to keep it, but the hassle and confusion of the dealer on the lease buyout was annoying and I’m sure overall it would have been a little cheaper to buy it up front even the higher payment.

User avatar
JP Chestnut
Posts: 17474
Joined: Mon May 27, 2013 10:40 am
Name: Jacob
Location: Ithaca, NY USA

Re: Decision Made

Post by JP Chestnut » Wed Feb 05, 2020 7:16 am

Lots of nice cars here.

My requirements are somewhat odd. I only drive about 3 miles a days so I want, and can have, a legitimately fun car rather than something totally practical. However, those three miles can be unplowed and scary in the winter. I'd prefer at least a vestigial set of rear doors in case my 7 year old daughter needs to ride along. I also don't want a car that's "too nice" because then I'll obsess about keeping the nasty salt and sand off it all winter. Finally, due to the weird shape of my garage my car can't be too long. My current 8th Gen Civic Sedan is about the limit 177.5 inches.

I might be able to get an 181 inch WRX STi ($35,000'ish) in the garage, but it would require really careful parking. If the 179.5 inch Civic Type R ($37,000'ish) had heated seats and normal sized wheels I'd be all over it. Besides those couple, there aren't too many cars that come close to meeting those specs.

I probably should have bought one of these when they were available new,
Image
but compared to an STi, it was a little tame. The Golf R would be an obvious candidate, but getting up to $40,000 makes me start to feel like the car is "too nice."

Maybe I'll push another year, keep driving the old Civic which has been 100% perfect in every way, and pick up a used Golf R coming off lease. It really seems like the perfect car for my use - that my wife could drive it is a huge plus.

User avatar
dnslater
Posts: 6485
Joined: Mon Apr 25, 2011 6:52 pm
Name: Nick
Location: Indiana, USA

Re: Decision Made

Post by dnslater » Wed Feb 05, 2020 8:10 am

Jacob, if you are only driving a few miles a day, I wouldn't be afraid to go Certified Pre Owned. Can find CPO Golf R's for less than $30k.

User avatar
59yukon01
1.21 gigawatts?!
Posts: 9406
Joined: Mon Jan 19, 2015 8:49 am
Name: David
Location: Louisville, KY

Re: Decision Made

Post by 59yukon01 » Wed Feb 05, 2020 8:49 am

Certified Pre-owned is the way to go imo. My recent GMC Yukon purchase, and my wife's last two Lexus's were bought under the CPO program.

User avatar
zepp21
Posts: 5131
Joined: Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:09 pm
Name: Alex
Location: Pennsylvania

Re: Decision Made

Post by zepp21 » Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:09 am

ericf4 wrote:
JP Chestnut wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 11:38 am
Alfa makes a nice car. I'd never buy a Genesis if they are sold and serviced by a Hyundai dealer (as they are in Ithaca).
i think they are separate but not......I hear hyundai/genesis have good quality though....I wanted the Alfa last time, went to lease one and got sidetracked by the Volvo....
Want to take over the lease to my Stelvio? Nice car, fun to drive, and quite sporty but just not “me” so I’m looking to get out of it by transferring the lease or trying to make time to faster lol.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User avatar
BlueSky
Posts: 749
Joined: Mon Dec 26, 2016 5:47 pm
Name: David

Re: Decision Made

Post by BlueSky » Wed Feb 05, 2020 6:06 pm

59yukon01 wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 8:49 am
Certified Pre-owned is the way to go imo. My recent GMC Yukon purchase, and my wife's last two Lexus's were bought under the CPO program.
We've had a combination of new and CPO Lexus for the last 25 years. Twice, with the CPOs, the warranty was tested and in both cases the claims far exceeded the premium paid for a CPO. Have no idea regarding other brands, but the Lexus CPO program is solid.

User avatar
59yukon01
1.21 gigawatts?!
Posts: 9406
Joined: Mon Jan 19, 2015 8:49 am
Name: David
Location: Louisville, KY

Re: Decision Made

Post by 59yukon01 » Wed Feb 05, 2020 6:24 pm


BlueSky wrote:
59yukon01 wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 8:49 am
Certified Pre-owned is the way to go imo. My recent GMC Yukon purchase, and my wife's last two Lexus's were bought under the CPO program.
We've had a combination of new and CPO Lexus for last 25 years. Twice, with the CPOs, the warranty was tested and in both cases the claims far exceeded the premium paid for a CPO. Have no idea regarding other brands, but the Lexus CPO program is solid.
Agree, especially since it's backed by Lexus themselves and not a 3rd party warranty. Both cars have been great, but having the warranty paid off.

User avatar
toxicavenger
President Tranny
Posts: 46954
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:25 am
Name: HeadDIK
Location: Colorado Springs

Re: Decision Made

Post by toxicavenger » Thu Feb 06, 2020 8:02 pm

Funny my wife was about to dump her 2014 R-Spec. I put snow tires on it today. She said it is not going anywhere now. Excellent car.

User avatar
ericf4
(TBD) Penis
Posts: 15437
Joined: Wed Dec 02, 2009 6:04 am
Contact:

Re: Decision Made

Post by ericf4 » Fri Feb 07, 2020 7:15 am

zepp21 wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:09 am
ericf4 wrote:
JP Chestnut wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 11:38 am
Alfa makes a nice car. I'd never buy a Genesis if they are sold and serviced by a Hyundai dealer (as they are in Ithaca).
i think they are separate but not......I hear hyundai/genesis have good quality though....I wanted the Alfa last time, went to lease one and got sidetracked by the Volvo....
Want to take over the lease to my Stelvio? Nice car, fun to drive, and quite sporty but just not “me” so I’m looking to get out of it by transferring the lease or trying to make time to faster lol.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
would love to but my volvo lease isnt up yet......i think i recall when you got yours...wasnt it dark grey or something?
Visit my Music/Drumming Channel at:

https://youtube.com/ericfeuer

User avatar
mattcantwin
mattcreatestonsofwatchrelateddrama
Posts: 17286
Joined: Wed Dec 02, 2009 3:53 pm

Re: Decision Made

Post by mattcantwin » Sat Feb 08, 2020 7:23 am

Obviously knew the Palisade has push button gear selectors.

Image


Less than a week and I'm getting used to them.



No idea if there is a downside over time with this set-up compared to a standard gear shift selector.
Image

User avatar
CGSshorty
Admin
Posts: 33228
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 5:18 pm
Location: Boynton Beach, FL

Re: Decision Made

Post by CGSshorty » Sat Feb 08, 2020 7:58 am

mattcantwin wrote:Obviously knew the Palisade has push button gear selectors.

Image


Less than a week and I'm getting used to them.



No idea if there is a downside over time with this set-up compared to a standard gear shift selector.
Our Enclave has an odd joystick selector. The Traverse uses the same transmission but uses a traditional shifter. I think I would have preferred that.
"It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever."
David St. Hubbins

User avatar
JDC222
Demander of Intro Threads
Posts: 17159
Joined: Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:30 pm
Name: Dave
Location: Canada

Re: Decision Made

Post by JDC222 » Sat Feb 08, 2020 8:14 am

mattcantwin wrote:
Sat Feb 08, 2020 7:23 am
Obviously knew the Palisade has push button gear selectors.

Image


Less than a week and I'm getting used to them.



No idea if there is a downside over time with this set-up compared to a standard gear shift selector.
All of my Plymouth Valiant convertibles have had push button automatic transmissions, 1963-66. :grin:

Image
Whisky has killed more men than bullets, but most men would rather be full of whisky than bullets.
Winston Churchill.

User avatar
Erratic101
Posts: 2768
Joined: Wed Jan 08, 2014 7:40 am
Name: Justyn

Re: Decision Made

Post by Erratic101 » Sat Feb 08, 2020 11:45 am

JDC222 wrote:
mattcantwin wrote:
Sat Feb 08, 2020 7:23 am
Obviously knew the Palisade has push button gear selectors.

Image


Less than a week and I'm getting used to them.



No idea if there is a downside over time with this set-up compared to a standard gear shift selector.
All of my Plymouth Valiant convertibles have had push button automatic transmissions, 1963-66. :grin:

Image
Awesome!!!

User avatar
mattcantwin
mattcreatestonsofwatchrelateddrama
Posts: 17286
Joined: Wed Dec 02, 2009 3:53 pm

Re: Decision Made

Post by mattcantwin » Sat Feb 08, 2020 12:08 pm

On the driveway.

Image
Image

User avatar
JP Chestnut
Posts: 17474
Joined: Mon May 27, 2013 10:40 am
Name: Jacob
Location: Ithaca, NY USA

Re: Decision Made

Post by JP Chestnut » Sat Feb 08, 2020 4:47 pm

That's big. How long is it?

User avatar
mattcantwin
mattcreatestonsofwatchrelateddrama
Posts: 17286
Joined: Wed Dec 02, 2009 3:53 pm

Re: Decision Made

Post by mattcantwin » Sat Feb 08, 2020 4:59 pm

JP Chestnut wrote:
Sat Feb 08, 2020 4:47 pm
That's big. How long is it?
To me, it's downsizing.

Image




2020 Hyundai Palisade HTRAC (Limited)



WHEELBASE 114.2 in


TRACK, F/R
. 67.2/67.6 in


LENGTH x WIDTH x HEIGHT 196.1 x 77.8 x 68.9 in
Image

User avatar
JDC222
Demander of Intro Threads
Posts: 17159
Joined: Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:30 pm
Name: Dave
Location: Canada

Re: Decision Made

Post by JDC222 » Sat Feb 08, 2020 9:43 pm

JP Chestnut wrote:
Sat Feb 08, 2020 4:47 pm
That's big. How long is it?
If I had a dime for every time I've heard that.... :lol:
Whisky has killed more men than bullets, but most men would rather be full of whisky than bullets.
Winston Churchill.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 26 guests