Because DWC members know their shit: Motorcycle questions - what to get for my first real bike

Discuss your favorite music, TV shows & movies, cars and sports here.
Marjak
Name: Mart

Re: Because DWC members know their shit: Motorcycle questions - what to get for my first real bike

Post by Marjak » Sun Sep 20, 2020 7:35 pm

Erratic101 wrote:
Sat Sep 19, 2020 1:34 am
Ryeguy wrote:
Erratic101 wrote:
Fri Sep 18, 2020 1:44 pm
Ryeguy wrote:I’ve found that 80/20 ratio of front brake to rear to be optimal. It just makes sense as, the harder you brake, your inertia puts more pressure on the front tire so it grabs more effective. The rear tire unweights under severe braking causing a skid.

This is why most “sport” bikes have larger, dual, discs in front and a single smaller disc in the rear. Heck, I’ve heard of dedicated track bikes with rear brakes intentionally set up to be mushy so you could stomp on them and they wouldn’t lock up.

That said, all my bike experiences have been with “sport” oriented bikes. Full dresser style touring bikes might have enough weight over the rear tire to make that brake effective.

I also agree you need to practice proper techniques as what you practice is what you’ll do in an emergency. The better you anticipate the stupidity of other drivers, the less likely a panic stop will be necessary.

Joe’s bike has a long swing arm, so that rear tire is way back. He’ll have to really clutch and hoist to get that front tire in the air (a skill you should learn, Joe, in case you ever find yourself with an under inflated front tire :lol: ). I can easy see that rear tire locking up (assuming no ABS) if Joe over emphasizes the rear brake. Find a parking lot and practice is probably the best of all advice.
I think front brake only is a horrible habit to learn. Become efficient at using both and you’ll learn how to stop fast and controlled. I use probably about 70/30 - 60/40 depending. I also always have the front brake covered with 2 fingers. Becoming proficient in rear braking will do amazing things for your riding. Trail braking comes in very handy. Also, find a parking lot and go lock up the rear. The more comfortable you are with that feeling the easier it becomes to control.
I see you quoted me but I don’t think there is an argument here. I said 80/20, you said 70/30. Bottom line is the majority of your braking effectiveness comes from the front calipers.
Ya no argument. Guess it was more directed towards marjak and Carlos
The 401's design is based on the Duke 390 and is a short wheel-based bike with the front wheel almost directly under the steer. When emergency breaking, the rear brake will become almost useless as the weight shifts to the front of the bike very quickly. Yes, for the 0.5 seconds when starting breaking it is useful as it helps shift the weight faster to the front. But for the not so experienced riders in an emergency they tend to step hard on the rear brake which is obviously dangerous as you will loose control. In my advice to Joe, I should have been more specific about breaking in an emergency only. I am aware that this technique won't apply for long wheel-based bikes like cruisers where you probably want to apply the rear brake during the whole breaking maneuver. With normal breaking situations, non-emergency, I agree the rear brake should be applied in a maybe front-rear 80-20 ratio. As I myself almost never exceed speeds over 45mph (2-wheeled vehicles are not allowed on highways in Indonesia) for me the use of the front brake only works well in emergencies, which I unfortunately need to do at least a few times a day with all those little scooters crowding the roads. Regardless, my advice to Joe was not my best advice ever given to somebody....
- Mart -

mikeylacroix
Name: Mike

Re: Because DWC members know their shit: Motorcycle questions - what to get for my first real bike

Post by mikeylacroix » Mon Sep 21, 2020 3:41 am

What years urs mart?
Alex n I thinking of the 2020 version when it pops up on the secondary market

Sent from my vivo 1920 using Tapatalk

Marjak
Name: Mart

Post by Marjak » Mon Sep 21, 2020 5:56 am

mikeylacroix wrote:
Mon Sep 21, 2020 3:41 am
What years urs mart?
Alex n I thinking of the 2020 version when it pops up on the secondary market

2018. I have read the 2020 has a bit less power.... check it out Mike :cheers:
- Mart -

Joeprez
Wants to see pics of your wife
Name: Joe

Post by Joeprez » Mon Sep 21, 2020 8:40 am

From what I've seen the 80/20 rule is mentioned a lot. I've been using the rear to slow down before corners (remember, I'm not carrying a lot of speed before entering anyways), and both for brakes for "real" braking (emergency stop of full stop at a light). Interesting that it's similar to how I brake in the mountain bike (during hard braking on the mtb, I position myself behind the saddle to avoid going over the bike... is this something that is also done in a motorcycle?)

Omega / Tudor / Rolex / Sinn / Doxa / Seiko

jeckyll
Honorary Assistant Jr. Hall Monitor in Training
Name: Björn

Post by jeckyll » Mon Sep 21, 2020 9:50 am

mikeylacroix wrote:
jeckyll wrote:
mikeylacroix wrote:
Fri Sep 18, 2020 2:44 am
jeckyll wrote:<<snip>>

Joe, a great thing to check out is "Ienatsch Tuesday" on Cycle World
https://www.cycleworld.com/blogs/ienatsch-tuesday/

Tips every week :)
Gotta do the yamaha school someday.

I know some folks that went and found it really valuable. :cheers:
Have they done the CSS?
How would they compare css vs ycrs?

Thus was some years ago and I no longer work with them, so unfortunately I don't have an answer for you
We all have the same enemy. The enemy is the tyranny of the dull mind. - - Tom Robbins

jeckyll

Post by jeckyll » Mon Sep 21, 2020 9:57 am

Joeprez wrote:
Mon Sep 21, 2020 8:40 am
From what I've seen the 80/20 rule is mentioned a lot. I've been using the rear to slow down before corners (remember, I'm not carrying a lot of speed before entering anyways), and both for brakes for "real" braking (emergency stop of full stop at a light). Interesting that it's similar to how I brake in the mountain bike (during hard braking on the mtb, I position myself behind the saddle to avoid going over the bike... is this something that is also done in a motorcycle?)
Joe: It might be good for you to check out some of the links on braking in Nick Ienatsch's column. Braking is _the_ biggest thing to get right early in order to progress and he's got a number of things to practice.

Application and effectiveness will vary greatly from bike to bike (I have some where using the rear is essential to safe riding, and some where it's truly optional and I often just use the rear while at a stop to keep the bike from rolling). And I've had some bikes where the use of the rear brake at the very beginning of hard braking helped settle the suspension, though that's honestly more of an advanced technique for bikes set up a bit soft.

Bike looks sharp!

Ride often, ride safe :cheers:
We all have the same enemy. The enemy is the tyranny of the dull mind. - - Tom Robbins

mikeylacroix

Post by mikeylacroix » Mon Sep 21, 2020 6:58 pm

Joeprez wrote:From what I've seen the 80/20 rule is mentioned a lot. I've been using the rear to slow down before corners (remember, I'm not carrying a lot of speed before entering anyways), and both for brakes for "real" braking (emergency stop of full stop at a light). Interesting that it's similar to how I brake in the mountain bike (during hard braking on the mtb, I position myself behind the saddle to avoid going over the bike... is this something that is also done in a motorcycle?)
Only if u jab it (for whatever reason.. don't basically) or ur hard braking into a turn while carrying high speeds
Otherwise u don't wanna take away that traction from ur front as it navigates the corner and lines up ur exit

Ur bike is honestly short enough to not need the rear too much going into most corners

Play Around with the rear in a carpark doing figure 8 drills & other slow speed drills that wld give u the most familiarity with it.
Motojitsu has some good drills on utube

Vision
Steering
Throttle

Brake smooth
Brake until u r happy with ur speed and trajectory

Joeprez

Post by Joeprez » Sat Mar 05, 2022 2:51 pm

Anyone still riding? Image

Got this one a month ago, Husqvarna 701 Enduro. With the usually poor condition of the roads here, the bigger wheels and longer suspension really helps. With a wet weight of 342 lbs, its very easy to maneuver plus the engine has torque everywhere.

Only one real ride so far as it has been raining a lot here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

jeckyll

Post by jeckyll » Sat Mar 05, 2022 5:31 pm

Joeprez wrote:
Sat Mar 05, 2022 2:51 pm

Got this one a month ago, Husqvarna 701 Enduro. With the usually poor condition of the roads here, the bigger wheels and longer suspension really helps. With a wet weight of 342 lbs, its very easy to maneuver plus the engine has torque everywhere.

Dude, those 701's are awesome. I want one.

Picked up a WR250R last year, perfect for getting into some more squirrley stuff and not having to worry about dropping it or having looping it.

Started early this year and there were some slightly slippery times the first few rides...

First trail ride of the year

Good times!

Ryeguy
Name: Chris

Post by Ryeguy » Sun Mar 06, 2022 4:17 am

With gas prices shooting up, I’m thinking of picking up another one (or at least using gas prices as my justification to my wife!).

I’d either buy one of those Triumph Scramblers or an enduro. The Triumph would win in style points, but a good enduro would be less expensive and ultimately more practical.

Erratic101
Name: Justyn

Post by Erratic101 » Sun Mar 06, 2022 7:58 am

Joeprez wrote:Anyone still riding? Image

Those are really popular here in Colorado. I know a bunch of people that take those in the backcountry. I haven’t ridden one yet, but from everything I hear they’re amazing all around. Enjoy man, and let me know what you think.

Joeprez

Post by Joeprez » Sun Mar 06, 2022 12:15 pm

jeckyll wrote:
Joeprez wrote:
Sat Mar 05, 2022 2:51 pm

Dude, those 701's are awesome. I want one.

Picked up a WR250R last year, perfect for getting into some more squirrley stuff and not having to worry about dropping it or having looping it.

Started early this year and there were some slightly slippery times the first few rides...

First trail ride of the year

Good times!
Lovely! Those are very popular here. My kid already ask me for dirt bikes, so for me if been thinking about a 250 or even something smaller. I’m not skill enough yet to take the 701 into hardcore off road trails.

Joeprez

Post by Joeprez » Sun Mar 06, 2022 2:28 pm

Ryeguy wrote:With gas prices shooting up, I’m thinking of picking up another one (or at least using gas prices as my justification to my wife!).

I’d either buy one of those Triumph Scramblers or an enduro. The Triumph would win in style points, but a good enduro would be less expensive and ultimately more practical.
Triumph Street Scrambler its a great looking bike. Really would like one in the future, or a Street Twin. The Ducati Scrambler Desert Sled appears to be more capable off road with a similar styling. I ultimately went with the Husky 701 (similar to a KTM 690) because I wanted a lighter bike.

Joeprez

Post by Joeprez » Sun Mar 06, 2022 2:33 pm

Erratic101 wrote:

Those are really popular here in Colorado. I know a bunch of people that take those in the backcountry. I haven’t ridden one yet, but from everything I hear they’re amazing all around. Enjoy man, and let me know what you think.
Thanks Bjorn! I am super happy with it. I was concern that being dual sport bike and having off road capable tires, I would find it less fun on the mountain roads than the Svartpilen, but I was wrong. As fun as the Svart, I dont have to slow down as much when the road is not perfect and the extra power is great.

Hoping to start “adventuring” this summer.

mikeylacroix

Post by mikeylacroix » Sun Mar 06, 2022 7:27 pm

Trackday weekend
Bike patched up after a crash last weekend
Had to retire early due to some shifter issues...

The 2022 KTM smr shld b back from decal work today or tmr
1st run coupla weeks back n had an incident too on another track Image
IMG-20220305-WA0103.jpg
IMG-20220305-WA0159.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

mikeylacroix

Post by mikeylacroix » Sun Mar 06, 2022 7:29 pm

Photo attachedImage

mikeylacroix

Post by mikeylacroix » Sun Mar 06, 2022 7:31 pm

Who's ktm is that?

Joeprez

Post by Joeprez » Mon Mar 07, 2022 11:48 am

It's my friend's, that's the bike I rode 2 years ago that got me into motorcycles again: 2019 KTM SMC R.

mikeylacroix

Post by mikeylacroix » Mon Mar 07, 2022 4:30 pm

Joeprez wrote:It's my friend's, that's the bike I rode 2 years ago that got me into motorcycles again: 2019 KTM SMC R.
Excellent hooligan bike
Wldnt mind one myself hahaha

Joeprez

Post by Joeprez » Mon Mar 07, 2022 4:48 pm

Its a hoot! Not difficult to convert mine to a Supermoto if I wanted too. 17” wheels and a brake caliper.

This is a 701 Supermoto:

mikeylacroix

Post by mikeylacroix » Tue Mar 08, 2022 6:25 pm

Joeprez wrote:Its a hoot! Not difficult to convert mine to a Supermoto if I wanted too. 17” wheels and a brake caliper.

This is a 701 Supermoto:

Wld need to mess with the forks n shocks tho
I think swingarm width also needs some tweaking?

Joeprez

Post by Joeprez » Sat Apr 30, 2022 5:39 pm

mikeylacroix wrote:
Joeprez wrote:Its a hoot! Not difficult to convert mine to a Supermoto if I wanted too. 17” wheels and a brake caliper.

This is a 701 Supermoto:

Wld need to mess with the forks n shocks tho
I think swingarm width also needs some tweaking?

After some research, I only need to add spacers and cut the plastics on the fork, assuming I want to get the exact wheel size of a Supermoto (17” wheels front and back). Some people have gone with a 19”/17” combo, which I think I will do.

For now I wheel keep the OEM wheels, but swapped the tires to Conti Trail Attack 3. Night and day difference on the road, which is where I ride.

Pics:

mikeylacroix

Post by mikeylacroix » Sat Apr 30, 2022 10:46 pm

Sick ass helmet and suit combo
Damnnnn

mikeylacroix

Post by mikeylacroix » Sat Apr 30, 2022 10:47 pm

17 fronts gonna be more fun man