Mg Midget

Discuss your favorite music, TV shows & movies, cars and sports here.
Erratic101
Name: Justyn

Mg Midget

Post by Erratic101 » Thu Sep 02, 2021 2:20 pm

I’m looking at picking up a midget (insert jokes and pics here). I saw one last week and the bug just hit me. I took one for a drive the other day and loved it. Not fast by any means, but so much fun. Anyways, I’ve found a ‘69 and a ‘76 that I like and are in good shape. Both very different.

I’m wondering if anyone here has any input or advice of years to stay away from or years to get. I’m not afraid of work at all. Lookin at these engines and bodies they seem straightforward to work on.

The ‘76 I would do some exterior work on. Lose the bumpers and change the wheels to start. Both would benefit from some engine work and better carbs.

dshap
Favorite shirt size: Schmedium.
Name: David

Re: Mg Midget

Post by dshap » Thu Sep 02, 2021 2:41 pm

My dad had one and it burned up (electrical fire). That's all I can contribute lol.
-David

demer03
Current Forecast: Vintage Doxa
Name: Mike

Post by demer03 » Thu Sep 02, 2021 2:52 pm

Only if you enjoy tinkering.

Having said that, I’d dig it too
Old Michigan steams like a young man's dreams
The islands and bays are for sportsmen

BlueSky

Post by BlueSky » Thu Sep 02, 2021 2:59 pm

I always liked the MGB. Do you prefer the midget? Brings back some great memories. I never had one, but several friends did. In fact, one of those, a 1974 MGB, is being restored now.

hoppyjr
HJ
Name: Hoppy

Mg Midget

Post by hoppyjr » Thu Sep 02, 2021 4:19 pm

Erratic101 wrote: I’m looking at picking up a midget. I saw one last week and the bug just hit me. I took one for a drive the other day and loved it.

Be sure to ask permission before picking up and remember that basic rules apply, such as “no means no” and “safety first”. If driving in the carpool lane, you may still get stopped by a Trooper.

Erratic101

Post by Erratic101 » Thu Sep 02, 2021 4:37 pm

BlueSky wrote:I always liked the MGB. Do you prefer the midget? Brings back some great memories. I never had one, but several friends did. In fact, one of those, a 1974 MGB, is being restored now.
Ya, I really like the midget over the mgb. Such a nimble little thing. The ‘76 has the 1500cc in it and the ‘69 a 1275cc

Erratic101

Post by Erratic101 » Thu Sep 02, 2021 4:37 pm

hoppyjr wrote:
Erratic101 wrote: I’m looking at picking up a midget. I saw one last week and the bug just hit me. I took one for a drive the other day and loved it.

Be sure to ask permission before picking up and remember that basic rules apply, such as “no means no” and “safety first”. If driving in the carpool lane, you may still get stopped by a Trooper.
ImageImageImageImage

BlueSky

Post by BlueSky » Thu Sep 02, 2021 5:23 pm

Erratic101 wrote:
Thu Sep 02, 2021 4:37 pm
BlueSky wrote:I always liked the MGB. Do you prefer the midget? Brings back some great memories. I never had one, but several friends did. In fact, one of those, a 1974 MGB, is being restored now.
Ya, I really like the midget over the mgb. Such a nimble little thing. The ‘76 has the 1500cc in it and the ‘69 a 1275cc

Nimble is pretty accurate with the midget, best I remember. I came close to buying a MGA years ago. Good luck with the project, sounds fun.

Henryj
Bubblehead
Name: Old guy

Post by Henryj » Thu Sep 02, 2021 7:32 pm

I had a 69 Sprite (same car). I’d vote for the ‘69, even with the missing bumpers. Like you said, not fast but a crap load of fun to drive and tinker with. I hate the rubber bumpers on the 76, and I think they fiddled with ride height for bumper compliance which compromises handling. Also, the 1275 is just a sweet little motor, twin SU carbs (more fun fiddling) and w/o the later smog crapola. Zipping it up a bit with Webers and a better exhaust is easy and a ton of fun. Just go over the body work with a magnet to look for Bondo, and a good looking over for rust.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MG_Midget
“Punishable by fine” = Legal for a price.”

HapaHapa
Name: Eric

Post by HapaHapa » Thu Sep 02, 2021 8:54 pm

Sounds like a fun toy
The Hapa

amckiwi
Name: Stu

Post by amckiwi » Thu Sep 02, 2021 10:48 pm

Am not a fan of the rubber bumpers either
Every drive will be an adventure
You will probably need an oil tray for your garage
These things are tiny but if you fit in it and are comfortable go for it
I would think about fitting a roll over hoop and maybe some more modern brakes then enjoy the heck out of it

Erratic101

Post by Erratic101 » Fri Sep 03, 2021 12:33 am

I hate the rubber bumpers too (I’d probably remove them pretty quickly if I went with it and replace with chrome). I do like that ‘69 a lot and it looks great without bumpers. I’ve been talking with both sellers. They are in different states so I’d have to take a field trip either way.

Erratic101

Post by Erratic101 » Fri Sep 03, 2021 12:36 am

Henryj wrote:I had a 69 Sprite (same car). I’d vote for the ‘69, even with the missing bumpers. Like you said, not fast but a crap load of fun to drive and tinker with. I hate the rubber bumpers on the 76, and I think they fiddled with ride height for bumper compliance which compromises handling. Also, the 1275 is just a sweet little motor, twin SU carbs (more fun fiddling) and w/o the later smog crapola. Zipping it up a bit with Webers and a better exhaust is easy and a ton of fun. Just go over the body work with a magnet to look for Bondo, and a good looking over for rust.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MG_Midget
Correct. They raised them up an inch after ‘73/‘74. I’m sure the ‘69 has some bondo to fill holes from the bumper, but always good to check the rest of the car.

dnslater
Name: Nick

Post by dnslater » Fri Sep 03, 2021 5:29 am

Just keep spare parts handy.

Ryeguy
Name: Chris

Post by Ryeguy » Fri Sep 03, 2021 5:31 am

I know very little about these cars, but this shop is local to me and specializes in them http://www.britbits.com/

You might want to contact them for guidance and they might be a good future source for parts, etc.

If you ever get up this way, this is a cool shop to look around in. They always have some cool, unique, cars in stock (such as Lotus Super 7’s, etc.)

unsub073
Name: chris

Post by unsub073 » Fri Sep 03, 2021 10:46 am

I'll be the weird one. I actually like the "ugly" rubber bumpers. :shrug:

amckiwi
Name: Stu

Post by amckiwi » Fri Sep 03, 2021 2:26 pm

Lord Lucas also know as the prince of darkness
The pioneer of stop start technology and cylinder deactivation
Adding to the list
Membership of a roadside assist program with a tow home option
A fire extinguisher and some basic spare parts such as points plugs fan belt etc

Henryj
Bubblehead
Name: Old guy

Post by Henryj » Fri Sep 03, 2021 6:01 pm

amckiwi wrote:
Fri Sep 03, 2021 2:26 pm
Lord Lucas also know as the prince of darkness
The pioneer of stop start technology and cylinder deactivation
Adding to the list
Membership of a roadside assist program with a tow home option
A fire extinguisher and some basic spare parts such as points plugs fan belt etc
Yeah, that. I loved the car but a defining memory is driving from Norfolk to NH in 1975. Two sailors, two sea bags, and the Cross-Bronx Expressway at 3 AM. The Sprite started running on 3 out of 4, and not always the same 3. We were pretty sure we were gonna die.
“Punishable by fine” = Legal for a price.”

toxicavenger
President Tranny
Name: HeadDIK

Post by toxicavenger » Fri Sep 03, 2021 7:24 pm

i had a mgb and a x-19 at the same time. both of those turds stayed broke down. the mgb had a ton of electric problems that just never went away. the fiat once you go the carb synched did great, but it was a bear getting it to that point. i can't/don't know any previous owners of mg's who would recommend an MG to anyone.

Erratic101

Post by Erratic101 » Fri Sep 03, 2021 9:33 pm

Oh I’ve heard some horror stories. I lot of people are looking at me just like “whyyyy” lol. Guess I’ll just jump in and see how it goes. I mean my Discovery is a bit quirky, my Triumph sprint was definitely quirky. So why not maybe it’ll be different this time

JDC222
Demander of Intro Threads
Name: Dave

Post by JDC222 » Sat Sep 04, 2021 10:14 am

Consider an Austin Healey Bug-Eye Sprite too....tinker tinker!

Whisky has killed more men than bullets, but most men would rather be full of whisky than bullets.
Winston Churchill.

gamecock111
Name: Doug

Post by gamecock111 » Sat Sep 04, 2021 2:43 pm

toxicavenger wrote:i had a mgb and a x-19 at the same time. both of those turds stayed broke down. the mgb had a ton of electric problems that just never went away. the fiat once you go the carb synched did great, but it was a bear getting it to that point. i can't/don't know any previous owners of mg's who would recommend an MG to anyone.
My first car was a hand me down 71 MGB. I loved that car, great sound , handled great. My dad, brother., and me worked on it, but never had any trouble with it. When I went off to college (same city), my dad sold it. We saw that car on the side of road several times over the next year. That guy probably hated us, but she worked great for us.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

toxicavenger
President Tranny
Name: HeadDIK

Post by toxicavenger » Sun Sep 05, 2021 8:47 am

gamecock111 wrote:
Sat Sep 04, 2021 2:43 pm
toxicavenger wrote:i had a mgb and a x-19 at the same time. both of those turds stayed broke down. the mgb had a ton of electric problems that just never went away. the fiat once you go the carb synched did great, but it was a bear getting it to that point. i can't/don't know any previous owners of mg's who would recommend an MG to anyone.
My first car was a hand me down 71 MGB. I loved that car, great sound , handled great. My dad, brother., and me worked on it, but never had any trouble with it. When I went off to college (same city), my dad sold it. We saw that car on the side of road several times over the next year. That guy probably hated us, but she worked great for us.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
first good feedback I have ever heard on a MGB. lol :salute:

Selym
Name: Myles

Post by Selym » Sun Sep 05, 2021 9:22 am

My buddy in high school had a relatively "new" MGB in the family...it was probably a '79 or '80 USDM model. Anyway, it was pretty reliable. Strictly speaking, it wasn't a "daily", but his dad drove it to/from work most summer days. Disclaimer: they own a used-car dealership with several skilled mechanics on staff.

Erratic101

Post by Erratic101 » Sun Sep 05, 2021 8:34 pm

Well I was pretty sold on the midget and then I found this MGB for a damn steel and couldn’t resist. ‘73

It’s in amazing shape. I’ll be flying out next week to grab it.