CEO turned "Pro Cyclist" turned security guy?

Discuss your favorite music, TV shows & movies, cars and sports here.
Bob1035
Name: Rob not Bob

CEO turned "Pro Cyclist" turned security guy?

Post by Bob1035 » Thu May 05, 2022 6:35 am

So this story has been making its rounds in the cycling world, and it's too insane not to share. Long read, but worth it

cliff notes - guy claims to be a pro cyclist, successful CEO, army guy, etc etc and its all BS

https://cyclingtips.com/2022/04/exposed ... o-cyclist/

I'm local to the area and have heard of the shop, so its fascinating to me.

amckiwi
Name: Stu

Re: CEO turned "Pro Cyclist" turned security guy?

Post by amckiwi » Thu May 05, 2022 3:50 pm

Wow
I read till the end

amckiwi
Name: Stu

Post by amckiwi » Thu May 05, 2022 3:58 pm

Wow
I read till the end

Bob1035

Post by Bob1035 » Thu May 05, 2022 4:56 pm

Not gonna lie, I saw how long it is and planned of giving up, but became engrossed! I’m a recreational cyclist and shooter, and I’m nearby so this story sucked me in. Just too crazy!

Ryeguy
Name: Chris

Post by Ryeguy » Thu May 05, 2022 5:11 pm

The “Who dares, Wins” tattoo on his forearm at the end of the article was very cringe.

Would love to see an authentic SAS operator remove it from him.

toxicavenger
President Tranny
Name: HeadDIK

Post by toxicavenger » Thu May 05, 2022 8:29 pm

unfortunately there are a lot of people like this out there. kobold comes to mind and a few others.

Ryeguy

Post by Ryeguy » Fri May 06, 2022 3:40 am

toxicavenger wrote:
Thu May 05, 2022 8:29 pm
unfortunately there are a lot of people like this out there. kobold comes to mind and a few others.
Yes, I was thinking “Kobold” when I was reading the article.

I’m more impressed / surprised he was able to pull off getting “C” level positions at various companies with the B/S resume. You’d think the vetting process for a six / seven figure job would be sophisticated enough to weed ups like him out.

Being a bike trainer / coach with a B/S resume is crappy, but at least he isn’t really hurting anyone.

Being a firearms instructor with a B/S resume could result in someone getting killed.

Bob1035

Post by Bob1035 » Fri May 06, 2022 4:01 am

Ryeguy wrote:
Fri May 06, 2022 3:40 am
toxicavenger wrote:

Being a firearms instructor with a B/S resume could result in someone getting killed.
That's exactly what I was thinking. I know it happens a lot, but it still really sucks, as people/students will buy into the image.

JBZ
Mr. Tasseled Loafer
Name: Jeff

Post by JBZ » Fri May 06, 2022 5:43 am

Ryeguy wrote:
toxicavenger wrote:
I’m more impressed / surprised he was able to pull off getting “C” level positions at various companies with the B/S resume. You’d think the vetting process for a six / seven figure job would be sophisticated enough to weed ups like him out.
There was a guy in my law school two years ahead of me. He graduated and got a job, contingent on passing the bar (this is not uncommon - often you get hired upon graduation with a fall start date - you take the bar over the summer). He failed and lied to his employer about it (which was dumb - most firms will give you a second bite at the apple). When they found out, they canned him.

I heard about that first incident while I was still at school. A few years later our law school magazine did an entire investigation on the guy. After the first firm fired him, he went from firm to firm, always claiming to have passed the bar. Every firm eventually found out and fired him, but that didn't keep him from getting hired by different firms several more times. You'd think firms would be better about vetting something like this, but there you have it.

Ryeguy

Post by Ryeguy » Fri May 06, 2022 6:44 am

JBZ wrote:
Fri May 06, 2022 5:43 am
Ryeguy wrote:
toxicavenger wrote:
There was a guy in my law school two years ahead of me. He graduated and got a job, contingent on passing the bar (this is not uncommon - often you get hired upon graduation with a fall start date - you take the bar over the summer). He failed and lied to his employer about it (which was dumb - most firms will give you a second bite at the apple). When they found out, they canned him.

I heard about that first incident while I was still at school. A few years later our law school magazine did an entire investigation on the guy. After the first firm fired him, he went from firm to firm, always claiming to have passed the bar. Every firm eventually found out and fired him, but that didn't keep him from getting hired by different firms several more times. You'd think firms would be better about vetting something like this, but there you have it.
I could kinda see it given the guy was Australian living in the US. You've got the quasi British accent that folks over here find sophisticated and some (made up) credentials from colleges in Australia that might be hard to verify.

The made up credentials from US Ivy League schools that weren't vetted out surprise me.

Most employer HR companies will only verify you worked for them within "X" dates. They won't (typically) discuss the terms of you leaving the company as it leaves them open to a lawsuit.

Your lawyer story is somewhat surprising given the law community is relatively small. You'd think a "phone a friend" private conversation would've found this guy out.

As a side note, you should see how many fired LEO's get hired by other departments.

JBZ
Mr. Tasseled Loafer
Name: Jeff

Post by JBZ » Fri May 06, 2022 7:36 am

Ryeguy wrote:
Fri May 06, 2022 6:44 am
JBZ wrote:
Fri May 06, 2022 5:43 am
Ryeguy wrote:
toxicavenger wrote:

Your lawyer story is somewhat surprising given the law community is relatively small. You'd think a "phone a friend" private conversation would've found this guy out.
This is true, which does make it surprising. If memory serves (the investigation was published 20 - 25 years ago), after he got fired by his first firm in Boston, he went to NYC, where the community is a lot larger. But anyone checking references and only getting a confirmation on employment dates should have thought to dig deeper. That's usually code for, "we don't have anything nice to say about this person, so we won't say anything at all."

And I've heard plenty of stories about informal tip offs on perspective hires. Attorneys getting a call from a colleague at a perspective hire's former firm saying "I hear you're thinking about hiring this guy. For the love of god, don't."

Somehow this guy kept the ruse going, at least for a few years. I think con artists rely on the fact that most of us just don't think anyone would put in the time and effort to be that deceptive. Even the most cynical among us can be pretty gullible in that regard. Plus none of us like to admit we were duped, so I'll bet the firms were embarrassed and just happy to see the guy gone.

BacoNoir
Name: Roger

Post by BacoNoir » Sat May 07, 2022 11:19 am

JBZ wrote:
Ryeguy wrote:
toxicavenger wrote:

An ex-girlfriend of mine did the same thing with her engineering degree. I dumped her because she was a compulsive liar, and she left the CO School of Mines with 2 semesters to go and never graduated. She told employers she graduated and didn’t get caught for a few years. She moved and I lost track of her.
www.simplynoble.net
Time Magazine Person of the Year - 2006