Trickle Charger Recommendations

Discuss your favorite music, TV shows & movies, cars and sports here.
Selym
Name: Myles

Trickle Charger Recommendations

Post by Selym » Mon Jul 04, 2022 10:28 am

My in-laws are going to be out of town for an extended period of time, and they want to keep their car's battery topped-up. Are there any particular brands that you folks recommend?

Thanks!

blkgsl
Herro!!!
Name: blkgsl

Re: Trickle Charger Recommendations

Post by blkgsl » Mon Jul 04, 2022 12:54 pm

Battery tender brand. You can go with the junior or standard size - iirc junior is 0.75 amps and full is 1.5.

I’ve had them all this side of Noco genius built in models - I find the cheapest (battery tender) work best and most reliably. Even the Ctek oems that come with many European brands - they get tossed in the car’s trunk and swapped for a battery tender when the car comes to my garage.

Selym

Post by Selym » Mon Jul 04, 2022 1:01 pm

blkgsl wrote:
Mon Jul 04, 2022 12:54 pm
Battery tender brand. You can go with the junior or standard size - iirc junior is 0.75 amps and full is 1.5.

I’ve had them all this side of Noco genius built in models - I find the cheapest (battery tender) work best and most reliably. Even the Ctek oems that come with many European brands - they get tossed in the car’s trunk and swapped for a battery tender when the car comes to my garage.
Thanks! I'll pass this on to my father-in-law. :thumbsup:

Captdave
Name: Dave

Post by Captdave » Mon Jul 04, 2022 1:27 pm

Battery tender is what I use. Never had an issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Live fast, die young, and leave a good looking corpse.

Selym

Post by Selym » Mon Jul 04, 2022 1:28 pm

Thanks, Gents!

unsub073
Name: chris

Post by unsub073 » Tue Jul 05, 2022 10:23 am

3rd for battery tender.

Selym

Post by Selym » Tue Jul 05, 2022 10:25 am

Thanks again, gents!

I'm guessing he should add some STA-BIL or similar to his tank, right?

Ryeguy
Name: Chris

Post by Ryeguy » Tue Jul 05, 2022 10:58 am

Selym wrote:
Tue Jul 05, 2022 10:25 am
Thanks again, gents!

I'm guessing he should add some STA-BIL or similar to his tank, right?
I would. It is cheap enough insurance. I always use the blue "marine grade" stuff over the pink blend.

When putting it in the fuel tank, I would use a long neck funnel to ensure the Sta-Bil gets past the carbon fume canister (soaking that in Sta-Bil will likely cause a check engine light - it is the reason owners manuals warn you against "topping off" your gas tank)

How long are we talking for storage? If is just a snow bird type thing with going to Florida for the winter, then I think you'll be fine with just the trickle charger and fuel stabilizer. I might recommend starting the car once in a while (every couple weeks) and letting it idle a bit, but even that is probably unnecessary.

The next biggest issue you might have with a stored car is mice. They love making nests in cars and chewing on wiring. You might also want to get one of those ultrasonic deterrent devices, although I have no idea how well they work. Option "B" is the Homer Bucket with the peanut butter / spinning can device. That method I do know works.

If he is really serious about long term storage, then you can do stuff like put the car on jack stands, etc. Again, probably unnecessary for seasonal storage.

Selym

Post by Selym » Tue Jul 05, 2022 11:07 am

Ryeguy wrote:
Tue Jul 05, 2022 10:58 am

I would. It is cheap enough insurance. I always use the blue "marine grade" stuff over the pink blend.

When putting it in the fuel tank, I would use a long neck funnel to ensure the Sta-Bil gets past the carbon fume canister (soaking that in Sta-Bil will likely cause a check engine light - it is the reason owners manuals warn you against "topping off" your gas tank)

How long are we talking for storage? If is just a snow bird type thing with going to Florida for the winter, then I think you'll be fine with just the trickle charger and fuel stabilizer. I might recommend starting the car once in a while (every couple weeks) and letting it idle a bit, but even that is probably unnecessary.

The next biggest issue you might have with a stored car is mice. They love making nests in cars and chewing on wiring. You might also want to get one of those ultrasonic deterrent devices, although I have no idea how well they work. Option "B" is the Homer Bucket with the peanut butter / spinning can device. That method I do know works.

If he is really serious about long term storage, then you can do stuff like put the car on jack stands, etc. Again, probably unnecessary for seasonal storage.
They'll be gone August through December. Good point about the mice! They have bait boxes around the property that I think are maintained by an exterminator, but the garage is pretty easy for mice to get into.

Captdave
Name: Dave

Post by Captdave » Tue Jul 05, 2022 12:11 pm

Put some non-ethanol gas in it too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Live fast, die young, and leave a good looking corpse.