Lovely day for a test ride yesterday.

Discuss your favorite music, TV shows & movies, cars and sports here.
andy tims
Name: Andy Tims

Lovely day for a test ride yesterday.

Post by andy tims » Sat Apr 15, 2023 10:43 pm

Well the M1000R was bloody awesome. The demo bike had been run in but they left the 9k rpm limiter in place, but even up to that, it had useful extra grunt.

The brakes are even better (master cylinder) than those on the S1000R and with the wider, flat bars plus the forged ally wheels turn in is a bit crisper.

On the minus side the bar end mirrors are terrible at speed on anything other than completely smooth tarmac and due to the new emission regs the pops and bangs on overrun that my bike does are largely absent.

I wasn’t expecting to like it so much, but I’ve done a deal in principle that I can confirm or back out of by close of business Monday. The new bike would be available early May. I’m going white and taking all the carbon bits, crash protection, belly pan, QR fuel cap, Racefit end can etc off my S1000R & swapping them on to the M.
Andy

ezcheese
Cheese Connoisseur
Name: Derek

Re: Lovely day for a test ride yesterday.

Post by ezcheese » Mon Apr 17, 2023 9:31 am

Badass
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

rockmastermike
Feedback Virtuoso
Name: WDE

Post by rockmastermike » Mon Apr 17, 2023 9:40 am

good luck with your decision - that's a way cool set up

Ryeguy
Name: Chris

Post by Ryeguy » Mon Apr 17, 2023 10:27 am

Those wings are just nuts to see on a street bike. Are they stock or dealer add-on bits?

I'd really like to see the wind tunnel analysis results of those wings. I mean, the bike has a minimal windscreen and big 'ol flat as pancakes bar end mirrors, yet someone thought the front end was light enough to need aero wing assistance to keep it planted.

The whole point of that style bike is to be a wheelie machine, isn't it?

I'd think those wings would really help at speeds up around 100MPH +, but I'm not certain I would be wanting to ride a street fighter style bike at that speed.

andy tims

Post by andy tims » Mon Apr 17, 2023 1:40 pm

The wings are stock. They add 11kg of downforce at 137mph The point is to aid corner turn in and front end stability at high speeds.

I’ve ridden my S1000R at well over 100 mph many times and a bit of extra high speed stability would be welcome.

Wheelies still easily available at lower speeds.

Deal done today. Hoping to have the bike mid May.
Andy

Sidheguitarist
Man of many calibers.
Name: Michael

Post by Sidheguitarist » Tue Apr 18, 2023 7:29 am

Awesome. 😎

Ryeguy

Post by Ryeguy » Tue Apr 18, 2023 8:16 am

andy tims wrote:
Mon Apr 17, 2023 1:40 pm
The wings are stock. They add 11kg of downforce at 137mph The point is to aid corner turn in and front end stability at high speeds.

I’ve ridden my S1000R at well over 100 mph many times and a bit of extra high speed stability would be welcome.

They totally make sense from an aero engineering perspective, but my thought is they would make more sense on a bike were aero considerations were more uniformly applied (full fairing, clip on bars, aero mirrors, etc.). Seeing them on a more upright, street fighter, style bike just is a bit striking to me. They seem a bit out of place.

The amount of times I would be riding that bike at 137MPH would be pretty few and far between. I love the look and style of that bike (have loved naked bikes since the Ducati Monster was released). I would just probably take off the winglets and store them in my garage if it were my bike. Aside from the look, I'm also guessing some knucklehead at a parking lot would bump into them and crack them (or my wife would want to hang her helmet off them!).

CGSshorty
Admin

Post by CGSshorty » Tue Apr 18, 2023 9:27 am

You’d be amazed how often you see those speeds on a fast naked bike. On closed roads . In Mexico.
"It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever."
David St. Hubbins

hoppyjr
HJ
Name: Hoppy

Post by hoppyjr » Tue Apr 18, 2023 9:46 am

A replacement jizz-machine?

I miss owning a motorcycle, but the drivers out here - together with the weather - make it a no-go for me.

Wario406
Name: Mike

Post by Wario406 » Tue Apr 18, 2023 11:04 am

andy tims wrote:The wings are stock. They add 11kg of downforce at 137mph The point is to aid corner turn in and front end stability at high speeds.

A power wheelie a day is great medicine. :-)
It is better to know how to learn than to know.
Dr. Seuss

jeckyll
Honorary Assistant Jr. Hall Monitor in Training
Name: Björn

Post by jeckyll » Tue Apr 18, 2023 1:54 pm

CGSshorty wrote:
Tue Apr 18, 2023 9:27 am
You’d be amazed how often you see those speeds on a fast naked bike. On closed roads . In Mexico.
Yes. There. That's the only place 😈

Love the look except for the wings. Badass machine!
We all have the same enemy. The enemy is the tyranny of the dull mind. - - Tom Robbins

Ryeguy

Post by Ryeguy » Tue Apr 18, 2023 2:47 pm

jeckyll wrote:
Tue Apr 18, 2023 1:54 pm
CGSshorty wrote:

It looks like the wings just bolt on. I'm sure you could just unbolt them and plug the holes with shorter metric stainless button-head allen bolts. I'm guessing there is a captive nut behind the fairing.

The fastest I've been on a motorcycle was 144MPH (not on a closed road in Mexico :stir: ), but that was my Daytona 995i with a full fairing and low clip-on grips. I was tucked under that bubble with my chest on the tank.

Going that fast on a naked bike with handlebars has got to be an experience.

jeckyll
Honorary Assistant Jr. Hall Monitor in Training
Name: Björn

Post by jeckyll » Tue Apr 18, 2023 5:07 pm

Ryeguy wrote:
Tue Apr 18, 2023 2:47 pm
jeckyll wrote:
Tue Apr 18, 2023 1:54 pm
CGSshorty wrote:

It looks like the wings just bolt on. I'm sure you could just unbolt them and plug the holes with shorter metric stainless button-head allen bolts. I'm guessing there is a captive nut behind the fairing.

The fastest I've been on a motorcycle was 144MPH (not on a closed road in Mexico :stir: ), but that was my Daytona 995i with a full fairing and low clip-on grips. I was tucked under that bubble with my chest on the tank.

Yeah, I'm not sure how fast I've gone on my Tuono, but not that fast. Even with a small shield it's not comfortable for long. But back in the day on my old ZX9R, it pulled hard past 240 km/h ;)

I've never ridden a modern superbike with wings, but would be very curious what that would feel like :)
We all have the same enemy. The enemy is the tyranny of the dull mind. - - Tom Robbins

Joeprez
Wants to see pics of your wife
Name: Joe

Post by Joeprez » Tue Apr 18, 2023 5:29 pm

That looks incredible, congrats on the new toy!

I dig the wings… they’re there because the bike had be a naked bike.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Omega / Tudor / Rolex / Sinn / Doxa / Seiko

Selym
Name: Myles

Post by Selym » Tue Apr 18, 2023 7:48 pm

hoppyjr wrote:
Tue Apr 18, 2023 9:46 am

I miss owning a motorcycle, but the drivers out here - together with the weather - make it a no-go for me.
Too many "drivers" with their faces buried in their phones. Scares the shit out of me on four wheels, let alone two.

ezcheese
Cheese Connoisseur
Name: Derek

Post by ezcheese » Wed Apr 19, 2023 11:05 am

Selym wrote:
Tue Apr 18, 2023 7:48 pm
hoppyjr wrote:

Too many "drivers" with their faces buried in their phones. Scares the shit out of me on four wheels, let alone two.
sad but true
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

hobbit712
Name: Steve

Post by hobbit712 » Wed Apr 19, 2023 11:46 am

Awesome looking bike! Well....except for the wings. They look like an afterthought. I get the concept at speed but unless you doing track days...which I know you do. Congrats either way. I kinda wish BMW would try their hand at MotoGP
https://watchidiotsavants3.godaddysites.com/
instagram @watchidiotsavants

Chase after the dream, don't chase after the money

Joeprez
Wants to see pics of your wife
Name: Joe

Post by Joeprez » Wed Apr 19, 2023 12:36 pm

ezcheese wrote:
Wed Apr 19, 2023 11:05 am
Selym wrote:
Tue Apr 18, 2023 7:48 pm
hoppyjr wrote:

sad but true
I wouldn't commute on a bike in my area, and that's why I usually only ride on Sundays, the earlier the better.

Omega / Tudor / Rolex / Sinn / Doxa / Seiko

andy tims

Post by andy tims » Wed Apr 19, 2023 1:13 pm

Ryeguy wrote:

Often been just over 160mph on track on my GSXR 750.

I’ve been 178mph on my S1000RR super bike which was scarily easy. Just couldn’t get to 180mph because of the traffic conditions.

On the current S1000R I’ve been just under 160mph. Above 150 it was pretty unpleasant so it was just a short blast. I wanted to max it out (165mph) but bottled it.

Anyway, I like the M1000R wings and they will be staying on the bike :neener:
Andy

Ryeguy

Post by Ryeguy » Wed Apr 19, 2023 1:45 pm

andy tims wrote:
Wed Apr 19, 2023 1:13 pm
Ryeguy wrote:

I’ve been 178mph on my S1000RR super bike which was scarily easy. Just couldn’t get to 180mph because of the traffic conditions.

On the current S1000R I’ve been just under 160mph. Above 150 it was pretty unpleasant so it was just a short blast. I wanted to max it out (165mph) but bottled it.

That's awesome! Enjoy the wings! They are definitely a unique / striking feature :cheers:

Wario406
Name: Mike

Post by Wario406 » Wed Apr 19, 2023 2:00 pm

andy tims wrote:
Ryeguy wrote:

I touched 150mph on my blackbird on my 50th birthday. Since then the next fastest was 135 a few years ago on my Conc14. I got pulled over by a cool cop who let me off with a 15 over citation that still cost me north of $500.
It is better to know how to learn than to know.
Dr. Seuss

Captdave
Name: Dave

Post by Captdave » Thu Apr 20, 2023 8:53 pm

Congrats! Looks like he’ll on wheels. I’ve only ridden off road for years now. As Ed said, weather, other drivers and around my area, wildlife. Enjoy!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Live fast, die young, and leave a good looking corpse.