New bike day yesterday

Discuss your favorite music, TV shows & movies, cars and sports here.
andy tims
Name: Andy Tims

New bike day yesterday

Post by andy tims » Thu May 18, 2023 10:58 pm

Stuck the Racefit end can on when I got home & the difference it makes is astounding. Loads more & much louder pops & bangs on the over run.

I'm absolutely over the moon with this bike.
Andy

hobbit712
Name: Steve

Re: New bike day yesterday

Post by hobbit712 » Fri May 19, 2023 5:04 am

Beautiful!
https://watchidiotsavants3.godaddysites.com/
instagram @watchidiotsavants

Chase after the dream, don't chase after the money

Wario406
Name: Mike

New bike day yesterday

Post by Wario406 » Fri May 19, 2023 5:41 am

Stunning. I’m jealous. Just remember - you don’t see many motorcycles outside of phsychiatrist offices.
Last edited by Wario406 on Fri May 19, 2023 5:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
It is better to know how to learn than to know.
Dr. Seuss

justsellbrgs
Name: John

Post by justsellbrgs » Fri May 19, 2023 9:34 am

looks great Andy ------ in the States women take their tops off when they see a bike like that.......
"Go forth, my progeny, grab the world by the balls, squeeze hard and shake vigorously." J. Koch (aka "Swedefreak")

hoppyjr
HJ
Name: Hoppy

Post by hoppyjr » Fri May 19, 2023 9:41 am

Outstanding. Congrats Andy!

CGSshorty
Admin

Post by CGSshorty » Fri May 19, 2023 10:20 am

That’s gorgeous, Andy. I love that traditional BMW color scheme.
"It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever."
David St. Hubbins

andy tims

Post by andy tims » Fri May 19, 2023 1:20 pm

Thanks all.

Started work early today so I could finish early and get a few more running in miles clicked off.

Lever positions fine tuned and I’ve played around with the settings a bit.

The bike has the supposedly maintenance free (in reality low maintenance) chain. I’m not sure if the wax on it was from the factory or the dealer applied it, but it’s disgustingly sticky.

I had to take the back wheel out and give it a proper clean including 2 goes with the steam cleaner plus clean the swing arm.

I’ve brought the wheel indoors and treated it with GTechniq C5 to hopefully make the next few cleans a lot easier.

I’m going to have to either change the bar end mirrors or add some extra heavy bar end weights to try and reduce the vibration. Above about 60mph, all I can see is a blur.

Overall thought, it’s just fantastic.

I’m out again tomorrow and Sunday. After that I should be able to go from just 7k rpm to 9k until the running in service is done.
Andy

andy tims

Post by andy tims » Sat Jun 03, 2023 9:51 pm

Running in service done on the M yesterday. Only used 12.5k revs so far, but my word does it go. You just get thrown down the road. I’m going to have to recalibrate my brain and work my way up to using all the revs.

I also had a play with the more advanced settings and have got it just about perfect for the road by using Race Pro 1 and softening the suspension front and back a bit via the TFT screen.

What a bike! I thought my S1000RR accelerated rapidly, but this is next level.

I’ve got a track day booked for mid July, but can’t wait that long. Will book another before that.
Andy

Sidheguitarist
Man of many calibers.
Name: Michael

Post by Sidheguitarist » Sun Jun 04, 2023 8:27 am

andy tims wrote:
Sat Jun 03, 2023 9:51 pm
Running in service done on the M yesterday. Only used 12.5k revs so far, but my word does it go. You just get thrown down the road. I’m going to have to recalibrate my brain and work my way up to using all the revs.

I also had a play with the more advanced settings and have got it just about perfect for the road by using Race Pro 1 and softening the suspension front and back a bit via the TFT screen.

What a bike! I thought my S1000RR accelerated rapidly, but this is next level.

I’ve got a track day booked for mid July, but can’t wait that long. Will book another before that.

JP Chestnut
Name: Jacob

Post by JP Chestnut » Sun Jun 04, 2023 8:38 am

Andy, I hope that I can be like you later in life. Older dude. Still active. Doing all kinds of cool shit.

kfalk
Old Chub
Name: Kelly

Post by kfalk » Sun Jun 04, 2023 11:34 am

That’s a beaut!

Joeprez
Wants to see pics of your wife
Name: Joe

Post by Joeprez » Sun Jun 04, 2023 4:03 pm

JP Chestnut wrote:Andy, I hope that I can be like you later in life. Older dude. Still active. Doing all kinds of cool shit.
Same here! You need to start riding a motorcycle Jacob. I started at 40.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Omega / Tudor / Rolex / Sinn / Doxa / Seiko

Ryeguy
Name: Chris

Post by Ryeguy » Mon Jun 05, 2023 6:19 am

There are two features of that bike that are favorites for me:
1) That you can apparently adjust the suspension via a screen instead of using wrenches like I used to do. I don't know if this is just a BMW thing, or if many modern sport bikes offer this, but I am super intrigued by this. Setting up suspensions was always a bit of a voodoo science for me in the past.

2) that this bike come with nice little trays to hold your drink and chips. The fact that BMW angled them appropriately so they would be level when the front tire was about a foot off the ground was also very thoughtful, as this is how I would likely normally ride the bike :grin:

mattcantwin
mattcreatestonsofwatchrelateddrama

Post by mattcantwin » Mon Jun 05, 2023 7:12 am

JP Chestnut wrote:
Sun Jun 04, 2023 8:38 am
Andy, I hope that I can be like you later in life. Older dude. Still active. Doing all kinds of cool shit.
I'm jealous how cool you are, Andy; congrats. :cheers:

All I can claim is I've never worn Crocs.

andy tims

Post by andy tims » Mon Jun 05, 2023 12:39 pm

mattcantwin wrote:
Mon Jun 05, 2023 7:12 am
JP Chestnut wrote:
Sun Jun 04, 2023 8:38 am
I'm jealous how cool you are, Andy; congrats. :cheers:

All I can claim is I've never worn Crocs.
:love: :love:
Andy

andy tims

Post by andy tims » Mon Jun 05, 2023 12:44 pm

Ryeguy wrote:
Mon Jun 05, 2023 6:19 am
There are two features of that bike that are favorites for me:
1) That you can apparently adjust the suspension via a screen instead of using wrenches like I used to do. I don't know if this is just a BMW thing, or if many modern sport bikes offer this, but I am super intrigued by this. Setting up suspensions was always a bit of a voodoo science for me in the past.
The Dynamic Damping Control is also very clever, the harder you ride / brake, the firmer the damping gets in milliseconds.
Ryeguy wrote:
Mon Jun 05, 2023 6:19 am
2) that this bike come with nice little trays to hold your drink and chips. The fact that BMW angled them appropriately so they would be level when the front tire was about a foot off the ground was also very thoughtful, as this is how I would likely normally ride the bike :grin:
You can also mount an ash tray on them - very useful :grin:
Andy

JP Chestnut

Post by JP Chestnut » Tue Jun 06, 2023 7:38 am

Joeprez wrote:
Sun Jun 04, 2023 4:03 pm
JP Chestnut wrote:Andy, I hope that I can be like you later in life. Older dude. Still active. Doing all kinds of cool shit.

That's not something that I had thought about. Sport bikes seems to be by far the best way to go fast cheaply. Probably a motorcycle would be helpful in my goal to smash insta models. Of course, that assumes I can't find a rich older lady who wants to buy me a paint to sample Porsche GT3 RS with the Weissach package.

Does anyone know the Mazda Miata equivalent of a sport bike? I.e, lighter, easy to handle at the limit, not crazy powerful, fairly cheap. If such a bike exists, I'm sure that would still be incredibly fast compared to a sports car.

andy tims

Post by andy tims » Tue Jun 06, 2023 7:53 am

JP Chestnut wrote:
Tue Jun 06, 2023 7:38 am

Does anyone know the Mazda Miata equivalent of a sport bike? I.e, lighter, easy to handle at the limit, not crazy powerful, fairly cheap. If such a bike exists, I'm sure that would still be incredibly fast compared to a sports car.
https://www.triumphmotorcycles.co.uk/mo ... -triple/rs

My brother has just bought one

Andy

JP Chestnut

Post by JP Chestnut » Tue Jun 06, 2023 7:55 am

andy tims wrote:
Tue Jun 06, 2023 7:53 am
JP Chestnut wrote:

Is that what’s called a “cafe racer”?

On edit, that Triumph does 0-60 in 3.1 seconds and has a quarter mile time under 10.8. That’s almost modern super car fast, and faster than just about any car from 10+ years ago.

Wario406
Name: Mike

Post by Wario406 » Tue Jun 06, 2023 8:10 am

JP Chestnut wrote:
andy tims wrote:
JP Chestnut wrote:

On edit, that Triumph does 0-60 in 3.1 seconds and has a quarter mile time under 10.8. That’s almost modern super car fast, and faster than just about any car from 10+ years ago.
Maybe you knew this, but the term “cafe racer” got coined because guys would literally race from cafe to cafe back in the day in England.
It is better to know how to learn than to know.
Dr. Seuss

JP Chestnut

Post by JP Chestnut » Tue Jun 06, 2023 8:37 am

Wario406 wrote:
Tue Jun 06, 2023 8:10 am
JP Chestnut wrote:
andy tims wrote:
JP Chestnut wrote:

Maybe you knew this, but the term “cafe racer” got coined because guys would literally race from cafe to cafe back in the day in England.
I remember when people started posting about them online, and it seemed like it generally referred to bikes that didn’t have all the aero bits on them. Is that not the defining characteristic?

smellody
Name: Christopher

Post by smellody » Tue Jun 06, 2023 9:42 am

Really, really nice! Congratulations.

Joeprez

Post by Joeprez » Tue Jun 06, 2023 11:49 am

JP Chestnut wrote:
Joeprez wrote:
Sun Jun 04, 2023 4:03 pm

That's not something that I had thought about. Sport bikes seems to be by far the best way to go fast cheaply. Probably a motorcycle would be helpful in my goal to smash insta models. Of course, that assumes I can't find a rich older lady who wants to buy me a paint to sample Porsche GT3 RS with the Weissach package.

Well, I'm sure people with more experience will chime in, but I was looking for "that" type of bike when I started riding, here are the ones that I had in my shortlist, all between 350 and 450 pounds (I bought the first one):

Husqvarna Svartpilen 401
KTM Duke 390
Kawasaki KLX300SM
Yamaha MT03 or MT07 / XSR700 if you prefer the Cafe Racer / Classic vibe.
BMW G310R
Honda CB500F or CB500X

These ones are still fairly light, but have bigger engines and features (I really like all of these):

Kawasaki Z650R (there's also a 900cc model :fro: )
Triumph Trident
Ducati Scrambler (the 800cc models)

I didn't include any "cruisers" because they're all way heavier than what I recommended.

I owned the Svartpilen 401 for about a year and a half and then decided to upgrade to a Husqvarna 701 Supermoto. Almost everyone recommends to start in a sub 500cc bike, but for better or worse, in a year you'll want to upgrade to something bigger.

If you want to smash insta models, you'll need a big Harley cruiser, a really cool cafe racer bike, or Andy's BMW :lol:

Joeprez

Post by Joeprez » Tue Jun 06, 2023 11:55 am

JP Chestnut wrote:
Tue Jun 06, 2023 8:37 am
Wario406 wrote:
JP Chestnut wrote:
andy tims wrote:
JP Chestnut wrote:

I remember when people started posting about them online, and it seemed like it generally referred to bikes that didn’t have all the aero bits on them. Is that not the defining characteristic?
That's a "naked" bike, basically a sport bike without the fairings, and usually a less sporty riding position (raised handlebar instead of clips, so you lean less when sitting).

A cafe racer style bike looks like a standard / classic bike (round headlight, no fairings), with really low handlebars. You can buy this one from Triumph, but purist will say a real cafe racer has to be build... like a "chopper".

Triumph Thruxton RS

Ryeguy
Name: Chris

Post by Ryeguy » Tue Jun 06, 2023 12:00 pm

JP Chestnut wrote:
Tue Jun 06, 2023 8:37 am
Wario406 wrote:
JP Chestnut wrote:
andy tims wrote:
JP Chestnut wrote:

Hey Jacob - those bike are called "street" or "hooligan" bikes.

They are extremely fun for the street and designed to just about encourage behavior that will add points to your license.

Cafe Racers were basically respectable street bikes that were streamlined and hopped up to make more sporty.

"Street" or "hooligan" bikes were mostly sport bikes (full plastic fairing - think Ninja / GSXR / etc.) that were stripped down to make easier to stunt on the street.

Between pure "sport" bikes, with full plastic fairings and clip on / drop handlebars and "hooligan" (I think someone above said "naked" others call them "street fighter"), I think the hooligan bikes are more fun on the street.

You've got tons of options across the brands: