Masters of the air

Discuss your favorite music, TV shows & movies, cars and sports here.
River Rat
DWC Tribal Council

Masters of the air

Post by River Rat » Mon Feb 05, 2024 3:37 pm

Been watching masters of the air on apple TV. They lost more air crews lives than the Marine Corps in WW2 from what I read about it. It's really eye opening in the last episode I watched on a bombing missing that went wrong they lost so many aircraft one crew member bailed out before his parachute opened, he bounced off the wing of another B-17 and I bet that really happened to some. It makes you want to thank the greatest generation for what they did. Wish my dad was still around. A few clips of it below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5VQYaLl1R3o

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zozBv04-lY0

DocHollidayDDS
Name: James

Re: Masters of the air

Post by DocHollidayDDS » Mon Feb 05, 2024 3:47 pm

Haven’t started watching yet, but looking forward to it.

My grandfather was a waist gunner on a B-26 shot down over occupied France, and the Resistance had to smuggle him back to England. I truly wish I’d heard more of his stories about his experiences before he passed, but like so many of his generation, he just didn’t talk about the war very much.

River Rat
DWC Tribal Council

Post by River Rat » Mon Feb 05, 2024 3:55 pm

My Dad was a ball turret gunner and flight engineer on US Navy Avenger torpedo planes I got some stories but not all of them just wished I bugged him more about it. Got his medals shadow box. The bad thing about WW2 vets is most of the military records went up in a fire just wished I had copies of the paperwork for the medals.

gwells
Name: Greg

Post by gwells » Mon Feb 05, 2024 4:30 pm

i was watching that scene and wondering how many times were they following a fighter and shooting in from the waist/turrets and hit other B17s with friendly fire? it's so chaotic.

raf42
Fister
Name: Rob

Post by raf42 » Mon Feb 05, 2024 6:38 pm

Will watch for sure.

My Dad was on a mine sweeper for part of his Navy tour during WWII. They got ship wrecked in the Aleutian Islands and had to burn barrels of fuel just to stave off frostbite until they were rescued. Unreal.

He also was in Nagasaki harbor to clean up mines after the war ended. He told me, for fun, when they got a mine on the surface they would all pull out their 45's and shoot at it until it blew up. Sounds like a blast (no pun intended).

The greatest generation for sure.

Captdave
Name: Dave

Post by Captdave » Mon Feb 05, 2024 6:39 pm

Haven’t started watching it yet but definitely at the top of my list.
My dad was a radioman in the navy air corp. My step dad was a navigator in the army air force and my grandfather flew B27’s (I think).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Live fast, die young, and leave a good looking corpse.

DocHollidayDDS

Post by DocHollidayDDS » Mon Feb 05, 2024 8:21 pm

Captdave wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2024 6:39 pm
My step dad was a navigator in the army air force and my grandfather flew B27’s (I think).
Could’ve been B-17, B-24, B-25, B-26 or B-29 in WWII, the XB-27 was never made operational.

Captdave
Name: Dave

Post by Captdave » Mon Feb 05, 2024 9:41 pm

DocHollidayDDS wrote:
Captdave wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2024 6:39 pm
My step dad was a navigator in the army air force and my grandfather flew B27’s (I think).
Could’ve been B-17, B-24, B-25, B-26 or B-29 in WWII, the XB-27 was never made operational.
Thanks for the info. Wish I remembered which it was.

Live fast, die young, and leave a good looking corpse.

River Rat
DWC Tribal Council

Post by River Rat » Tue Feb 06, 2024 11:04 am

raf42 wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2024 6:38 pm
Will watch for sure.

My Dad was on a mine sweeper for part of his Navy tour during WWII. They got ship wrecked in the Aleutian Islands and had to burn barrels of fuel just to stave off frostbite until they were rescued. Unreal.

He also was in Nagasaki harbor to clean up mines after the war ended. He told me, for fun, when they got a mine on the surface they would all pull out their 45's and shoot at it until it blew up. Sounds like a blast (no pun intended).

The greatest generation for sure.
My dad started in PBY’s and later in the war went to avenger’s. His PBY squadron was also in the Aleutians his PBY squadron switched to another type of aircraft he did not like that since the new aircraft did not float so if you crashed in the water you would end up in the water after the aircraft sank and freeze to death.

abuemily
Name: Michael

Post by abuemily » Thu Feb 08, 2024 2:43 pm

My uncle was a navigator on a B-26, shot down and killed in 1943 over France. 21 years old. What these guys went through is truly unbelievable.

DocHollidayDDS

Post by DocHollidayDDS » Fri Feb 09, 2024 10:49 pm

Watched the first two episodes tonight, good stuff.

But I figured it would be solid since it’s exec produced by the same folks who brought us Band of Brothers and The Pacific.

Henryj
Bubblehead
Name: Old guy

Post by Henryj » Sat Feb 10, 2024 7:46 am

DocHollidayDDS wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2024 10:49 pm

But I figured it would be solid since it’s exec produced by the same folks who brought us Band of Brothers and The Pacific.
Be nice to see them put that kind of effort into the submarine service in WW2.
If you put a large switch in some cave somewhere, with a sign on it saying 'End-of-the-World Switch. PLEASE DO NOT TOUCH', the paint wouldn't even have time to dry.

Wario406
Name: Mike

Post by Wario406 » Sat Feb 10, 2024 8:19 am

Henryj wrote:
DocHollidayDDS wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2024 10:49 pm

Be nice to see them put that kind of effort into the submarine service in WW2.
I’m with you!

I knew a couple of WWII submariners and those guys also had balls the size of pickle jars.
It is better to know how to learn than to know.
Dr. Seuss

River Rat
DWC Tribal Council

Post by River Rat » Sat Feb 10, 2024 12:32 pm

Talking about the Navy. Greyhound is a hell of a good movie Tom Hanks did on a US Navy WW2 destroyer going after German U-Boats trying to sink ships in a convoy. Think Tom Hanks is making Greyhound 2 movie. The best WW2 sub movie I ever saw was Das Boot both sides had balls of steel in WW2. Really hard to believe if you lived on the east coast near the ocean in the early part of WW2 you could see naval battles from land were U-Boats just sank anything in site until the US Navy got there shit together and the U-boats became the hunted.

DocHollidayDDS

Post by DocHollidayDDS » Sun Feb 11, 2024 11:02 am

Photo of my grandfather and his crew standing in front of a B-26 during their training:

His wings and Air Medal (awarded for 25 combat missions flown)

snootydog
Jagermaster
Name: Andy

Post by snootydog » Wed Feb 28, 2024 10:31 am

A little off topic from Masters of the air but as submarine's have been mentioned, here is a German WW1 sub U-118 that had surrendered and was being towed to France when the tow line snapped and it washed ashore on Hastings beach, a bit further along the coast from where I live. Bit different from finding a bit of driftwood on your beach.
Andy :uj:

River Rat
DWC Tribal Council

Post by River Rat » Mon Mar 11, 2024 2:53 pm

Last week's episode had something about the red tails, about Alexander Hamilton who got shot down over France and became a POW. I met him once the real one, he was a specker at a VFW dinner my boss invited me to. When he got shot down think it might have been around D-Day their mission in P-51 mustangs was to destroy German radar station along the coast of France. He was an interesting speaker sorry to hear he passed away at the age of a !00.

andy tims
Name: Andy Tims

Post by andy tims » Tue Mar 12, 2024 10:47 am

It's a great series.
Andy

Wario406

Post by Wario406 » Mon Mar 18, 2024 12:42 pm

Finished it last night. I feel like they rushed the ending, but as others have stated - I think it was a very good series.
It is better to know how to learn than to know.
Dr. Seuss

demer03
Current Forecast: Vintage Doxa

Post by demer03 » Mon Mar 18, 2024 3:05 pm

River Rat wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2024 2:53 pm
Last week's episode had something about the red tails, about Alexander Hamilton who got shot down over France and became a POW. I met him once the real one, he was a specker at a VFW dinner my boss invited me to. When he got shot down think it might have been around D-Day their mission in P-51 mustangs was to destroy German radar station along the coast of France. He was an interesting speaker sorry to hear he passed away at the age of a !00.
The two red tails featured spoke at my wife’s school when she was with Muskegon Heights HS several years ago. The kids actually shut up and listened.
Old Michigan steams like a young man's dreams
The islands and bays are for sportsmen

gwells
Name: Greg

Post by gwells » Mon Mar 18, 2024 4:36 pm

i'm still annoyed AF that if the redskins changed their name, they had to go with the lame-ass "commanders" instead of red tails or redwolves. would have loved red tails.

DocHollidayDDS

Post by DocHollidayDDS » Tue Apr 16, 2024 10:51 am

Wario406 wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2024 12:42 pm
Finished it last night. I feel like they rushed the ending, but as others have stated - I think it was a very good series.
Also finished it over the weekend. Very well done, but definitely could've used a couple more episodes. Couldn't believe they didn't cover any of the firebombing raids that essentially leveled cities like Dresden and Hamburg.