Seiko Solar Diver

Watch review archives can be found here.
OrangeSport
Name: Jason

Seiko Solar Diver

Post by OrangeSport » Sat Jan 08, 2022 7:11 am

We've had the one for years and it's moved on from me to my son in that time.
20220108_103707.jpg
This is a real beater. Tough as nails and always ready to go.

It's solar powered, so it never runs down. The case is 43mm wide, with a 50mm lug to lug measurement and 20mm strap width. It's pretty thick and has real wrist presence.

I didn't really get on with the rubber strap it came on so I tended to use NATOs or leather. My son enjoys it on this rubber strap which compliments its colour scheme.

The dial has loads of depth, with the usual good Seiko lume. The Hardlex crystal is a bit scratched now and the pip is missing after a swim in a very rough sea.
20220108_103900.jpg
It's is 200m WR, helped by the screw down pushers, with some neat functions. There's a 24 hour indicator, 60 minute chronograph function, date indicator and unidirectional dive bezel. The bezel was smooth and positive, but feels like it might need a little cleaning now..
20220108_103726.jpg
20220108_103759.jpg
The watch is available in various colour and bracelet / strap combinations and it's a real strap monster. The pierced lugs make strap changes a breeze.

When this was mine it was my go-to holiday watch. Reliable, accurate, tough, water resistant and with multiple ways of tracking time for things like car parking, flights etc. It's been my son's school watch for a couple of years now.

A highly recommended workhorse.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

HapaHapa
Name: Eric

Re: Seiko Solar Diver

Post by HapaHapa » Sat Jan 08, 2022 7:32 am

I can’t remember if I owned the blue or black variant. Blue I think. I do remember how it felt like a tank.
The Hapa

johnnyjohnny
Name: johnnyjohnny

Post by johnnyjohnny » Sun Oct 02, 2022 1:19 am

one of the most beautiful dive watches i've ever seen, or owned (have one now). i'm not a quartz guy, and that's probably why i don't get too excited when i strap it on, except for how incredible it looks.

it's also pretty accurate, losing maybe 5 sec over a year compared to my radio controlled watches. i also love that the seconds hand is a subdial so you don't see the sec hand missing the markers, which all quartz/solar do i've found except my casio oceanus. i can't wear a watch where it's missing markers, but don't have to worry about that with this one.

seriously one of the most beautiful impressive divers, and of course that great seiko lume. also, the chrono hand is mecaquartz style, so it's very smooth (don't know if it's actually a meca, but it has numerous beats per sec). finally, the bezel is smooooooth, aligned (seiko can when they try) and a joy to operate.

OrangeSport
Name: Jason

Post by OrangeSport » Sat Oct 29, 2022 9:16 am

johnnyjohnny wrote:
Sun Oct 02, 2022 1:19 am
one of the most beautiful dive watches i've ever seen, or owned (have one now). i'm not a quartz guy, and that's probably why i don't get too excited when i strap it on, except for how incredible it looks.

it's also pretty accurate, losing maybe 5 sec over a year compared to my radio controlled watches. i also love that the seconds hand is a subdial so you don't see the sec hand missing the markers, which all quartz/solar do i've found except my casio oceanus. i can't wear a watch where it's missing markers, but don't have to worry about that with this one.

seriously one of the most beautiful impressive divers, and of course that great seiko lume. also, the chrono hand is mecaquartz style, so it's very smooth (don't know if it's actually a meca, but it has numerous beats per sec). finally, the bezel is smooooooth, aligned (seiko can when they try) and a joy to operate.
Have to agree with all of that... which version do you have?