Hemlig First Impressions

Watch review archives can be found here.
Ryeguy
Name: Chris

Hemlig First Impressions

Post by Ryeguy » Mon Nov 16, 2020 2:58 pm

Received the watch on Saturday and today is only Monday, so please take the "honeymoon effect" into account when reading this quick review!

This is the Karlskrona Hemlig Mil Series 300, a homage to the Benrus Type 1.

Details and much better photos can be found here: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=70865

I've been wearing the watch for the past 3 days and I first must comment on how comfortable it is. Granted, I've been wearing my 44mm Eterna KonTiki Super pretty much daily since I bought it in September, so that could also be a factor.

After a weekend spent raking the yard and doing all those typical fall homeowner chores, I never once felt the watch was in the way.

The Sellita SW200 movement is keeping good time, to the minute of when I set it on Saturday. I'm not one of those time it to the second guys but will if anyone wants me to. Probably a bit unfair at this point anyway as the watch is hardly settled in yet.

Positives:
- Bezel action is pretty good. Minimal back lash and 120 solid clicks. This is a single direction only bezel.
- Bezel insert is lumed ceramic with well done engraving. Everything lines up perfectly.
- Dial is minimalist (per the design) but lume plots are evenly applied and I like the touch of red on the seconds hand and the "ghost" logo.
- Case bead blasting is even and well done
- Crown screws down well, although I did do the waxed floss trick to smooth it out a bit. The logo even lines up when fully threaded in - nice touch!

Opportunities for improvement (and I only have a couple)
- Bezel font a bit small. When you compare to a Benrus or a MKii Paradive, the Hemlig bezel font seems a bit small in comparison. It is well done and certainly works, but I would've been fine if it were a bit more bold
- "Wu Mod" the ceramic bezel insert. The polished ceramic looks lovely, but I can't help but think that dulling in out a bit would've looked good as well.

Bottom line is I can't help but compare this to the new Benrus photos and to MKii Paradive reviews I've read online, and even when price is not considered I think the Hemlig looks very comparable to those other options. When price is considered, well... I'll be happy with the Hemlig and the extra cash in my wallet for beer, bait, and boat fuel.
IMG_5083.JPG
IMG_5085.JPG
IMG_5084.JPG
IMG_5086.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

CarloDWC
Name: Carlo

Re: Hemlig First Impressions

Post by CarloDWC » Mon Nov 16, 2020 4:55 pm

Thank you very much and I have only one request, if possible. If you could take a picture side by side to a known watch like an SKX007 for example, just so one can see the dimensions, proportions in comparison.

Otherwise it seems a great time piece! :thumbsup:

deepcdvr
Flipper Extraordinaire
Name: Paul

Post by deepcdvr » Mon Nov 16, 2020 5:04 pm

Thanks Chris - appreciate it!
VR/
Paul

SI VI PACEM, PARA BELLUM

Ryeguy
Name: Chris

Post by Ryeguy » Mon Nov 16, 2020 5:31 pm

CarloDWC wrote:
Mon Nov 16, 2020 4:55 pm
Thank you very much and I have only one request, if possible. If you could take a picture side by side to a known watch like an SKX007 for example, just so one can see the dimensions, proportions in comparison.

99D5ABE6-6D68-41F6-B77A-01D0899E67FE.jpeg
Quick and dirty comparison shot with an SKX007. Both on NATO’s, same type watch cushion.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

CarloDWC
Name: Carlo

Post by CarloDWC » Mon Nov 16, 2020 5:50 pm

Ryeguy wrote:
Mon Nov 16, 2020 5:31 pm
CarloDWC wrote:
Mon Nov 16, 2020 4:55 pm

99D5ABE6-6D68-41F6-B77A-01D0899E67FE.jpeg

Quick and dirty comparison shot with an SKX007. Both on NATO’s, same type watch cushion.

Great! Thank you very much. :grin:

ChuckW
Name: Chuck

Post by ChuckW » Mon Nov 16, 2020 6:21 pm

ND, 12 hour bezel, same combo I ordered. Thanks for the preview.
No, it's not Tourettes.

matt.wu
Wu
Name: m@

Post by matt.wu » Mon Nov 16, 2020 8:07 pm

Gotta say - this is a steal for $395.
:htfu:

jimyritz
Masshole
Name: Mike

Post by jimyritz » Tue Nov 17, 2020 4:57 am

Nice review Chris...Like the combo on that nato-- agree with M@- seems like a bargain at $395..