Mini Review - Certina DS-2 Chronograph

Watch review archives can be found here.
OrangeSport
Name: Jason

Mini Review - Certina DS-2 Chronograph

Post by OrangeSport » Sat Jan 08, 2022 2:21 am

20220108_085312.jpg
Something a little different. A short review of the watch I bought my 14 year old for Christmas.

The Certina DS-2 Chronograph is pretty interesting as it has a HAQ movement with a 100th second chronograph. The Precidrive movement is accurate to +/- 10 seconds per year and also comes with a date complication. Additionally, as it is so accurate, you can adjust the hour hand independently without hacking the moment if you are moving between timezones or daylight saving dates. This means there is no quickset date. There are 7 hands on the dial to allow you to track seconds and 100ths of a second as well as a tachymeter. The green numbers running sound the outside of the markers count the 100ths of a second and match the green hand.
20220108_095559.jpg
Here's a quick video of it in action.

https://youtube.com/shorts/qs9fv0ABnBA?feature=share

The case is a mixture of brushed and polished. It's 41mm wide with a 50mm lug to lug length and a 22mm strap. On this version you have a soft fitted rubber strap with green stitching to complement the green highlights on the face. Several colour schemes and straps or bracelets have been available.

It feels pretty hefty for a quartz with a rubber strap.
20220108_085340.jpg
The press on caseback is nicely finished with Certina's trademark turtle. The case is 100m WR.
20220108_085656.jpg
The applied markers really catch the light. It's quite a "blingy" face with decent, but not amazing, lume. Its very legible and balanced. The placement of the date helps with this.

Prices on these watches seem to vary, depending in the version and the deals available. You can pay up to £700, but I paid a lot less.

It's not often I find a quartz watch genuinely interesting, but this is an exception. I have a soft spot for the brand and I find HAQs intriguing. Best of all though, I think it's been worn every day since Christmas. That's the most important thing. Oh, and it's not lost of gained a second!.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

aikiman44
Tiki Extraordinaire
Name: J

Re: Mini Review - Certina DS-2 Chronograph

Post by aikiman44 » Sat Jan 08, 2022 5:35 am

Nice present, I’m sure he’ll spend much time fiddling with it!
"We'd better synchronize our watches."

OrangeSport
Name: Jason

Re: Mini Review - Certina DS-2 Chronograph

Post by OrangeSport » Sat Jan 08, 2022 5:52 am

aikiman44 wrote:
Sat Jan 08, 2022 5:35 am
Nice present, I’m sure he’ll spend much time fiddling with it!
:dance: