Casio G-Shock GW-5000u Review and Comparison: A great metal watch in a wetsuit...

Watch review archives can be found here.
Ray Deeyay
Name: Ray

Casio G-Shock GW-5000u Review and Comparison: A great metal watch in a wetsuit...

Post by Ray Deeyay » Sat Jun 17, 2023 8:47 am

This upgraded version of the previously Japanese market only GW-5000 has been out since 2021 and has been reviewed here and there. I thought I would add another review based on a comparison with the other two G-Shock squares in my small collection - if one could even call it that as I don't see myself as a "collector" of anything, merely a user of useful things. It may prove helpful for those weighing up the pros and cons between these models.

The other two watches sit either side spec and pricewise of the GW-5000u. They are the GWM-5610u 'below' it and the all metal, black, DLC coated GMW-B5000 'above' it. The inverted commas are because the terms 'above' and 'below' do not necessarily mean they are lesser or greater watches than the GW-5000u. They have different use scenarios and then of course, there is the matter of personal taste and style.

What's been upgraded/updated in the GW-5000 to give it its 'u' status?

• Bright white LED backlight
• Adjustable 1.5 or 3 second afterglow for light
• Current time display in stopwatch and countdown timer mode
• 24-hour countdown timer is settable in units of seconds and not only hours and minutes
• Adjustable date format (M.DD or DD.M) and adjustable day of week language (English, Spanish, French, German, Italian, Russian)
• Quick return to timekeeping mode by holding down Mode (C) button for more than 1 second
• Home city time and world time display swap in world time mode by pressing the top two buttons (A and B) at the same time
• 5 world time settings (48 cities), 31 time zones, the additional 2 time zones are for the cities of Fernando de Noronha (-2) and Kathmandu (+5.75)

The hardware

So much for the software upgrades. For those not already familiar with the hardware, the standouts are:

Full metal, DLC (Diamond Like Carbon) coated, screw-down case back, module housing and lugs. Sturdy metal lugs are quite useful (and not often mentioned in reviews of this model) particularly when changing bands. I have gouged resin lugs in the past trying to shoehorn in difficult to fit bracelet spring pins.

The rest is the "wetsuit" part composed of upgraded resin/polyurethane compounds that give a sharkskin-like smoothness and comfort to the wearing experience. To top it off style wise is the largely "stealth" monochrome colourway. This watch would not look out of place peeking out of the wetsuit sleeve of a Bond villain’s henchman wielding a spear gun in an underwater chase/fight scene. Hopefully that paints a picture.

Comparisons

While all 3 watches share the key functions of atomic time syncing (provided you live within range of one of the atomic time clocks in the U.S., U.K., Germany, Japan and China) solar charging of the rechargeable battery via the “Tough Solar” panel surrounding the display, waterproof to 200m and have shock protection of the internal module from a drop of 10m (a conservative estimate as fanatical amateur testers have found), they vary in other ways.

The GWM-5610u

By comparison to the 5610u there are a few but significant differences:

• The 5610u is more colourful. It is a nod back to one of the original designs which, in itself was Japan's nod to the German Bauhaus movement both in angular design and use of colour. This gives it a happier, more playful impression. It would look at the GW-5000u and, in the Joker's voice, enquire: "Why so serious?"

• The module case and lugs are resin, not stainless steel

• The case back is of a thinner metal and is a screw-in design with four screws.

• The resin band and bezel compounds feel stiffer and cheaper.

• Its weight of 52gm makes it significantly lighter than 74gm of the 5000u

• The software/functional side on 5610u and 5000u are identical. In fact all 3 watches in this comparison share the 3459 module.
  • The price of the 5610u is more affordable by a factor of 2-3 times depending on the deals one finds with each of them.

The GMW-B5000 all metal

• As the title suggests, the B5000 is the only one of these three that is fully metal. In addition, it is unique among the stainless steel squares in that the case back, module, bezel, and bracelet are all DLC coated. That gives it a very classy sheen as its alternating polished and matte surfaces move in and out of the light.

• This particular model's display varies in two ways to the other two. It has a negative, STN (Super Twisted Nematic) display. One cool feature of the negative STN display is, that in certain light angles the numerals appear to have a rainbow colouring. Quite lovely.

• While all 3 models use an LED light, the B5000's combination of STN and negative display result in a more even illumination than the either the 5610u or the 5000u. Another aesthetically pleasing aspect of the negative display is that, when illuminated, it features sky blue numerals over a midnight blue background. All in all, a very classy feeling and looking package.

• Weight wise, it is, unsurprisingly, the heaviest of the bunch at 154gm - over double the weight of 5000u and triple the weight of the 5610u. That puts it firmly into steel diver's watch territory in terms of wrist presence. Some may feel this is a desirable or less desirable thing depending on use case and preference.

Why choose the GW-5000u?

Simply, because it is a great digital watch. In terms of time, date, world time, alarm, stopwatch and timer, the upgrade to the "u" version has fixed some of the minor issues of the previous iteration and has everything you really need unless you want to get into fitness or smartwatches. The upgraded world time features make switching between time zones a double button press away and its stealthy appearance keeps it off the radar of luxury watch theives. So, a great travel watch in other words.

It has that "Goldilocks" happy medium of style and features. The GW-5000u's slightly increased weight presence over the 5610u, while not noticeably heavy at all, is just enough to engender a quality feel. Its lovely DLC screw-down back, case and lugs, monochrome colourway and clear display combine to make an understated "stealth wealth for the rest of us" impression. Initally, in the box, it may appear underwhelming but once you put it on and wear it around for a while you may understand why it has its loyal following.

Regarding the display, while it is not an STN display like the B5000, it appears slightly more defined than the 5610u at some angles (unfortuantely my phone cam photos fail to show that). This is due not to the numerals but the slight shading difference in the background screen itself, if that makes sense. That, combined with the monochrome colour accents make it seem more defined. So, all in all, more of a slightly beneficial optical illusion than a technical upgrade to the display.

Anything worth changing about it?

Well, it's a matter of taste but I may eventually find a Casio resin link bracelet for the 5000u. Not so much for any comfort gains (the existing resin band is very comfortable) but a bracelet is effortless and quick to take on and off and visually more appealing. Other than that, its just a great, highly functional, understatedly classy watch that I would highly recommend.

As the saying goes: "It's the kind of thing you'd like, if you like that kind of thing." Personally, I do. I have zero interest in mechanical watches (although I have had in the past). These simple G-Shocks run rings around them functionally in terms of accuracy and easily useable features. I love the "80's futuristic" design that always makes me smile in its naive, positive unpretentiousness. Then of course there is the legendary G-Shock durability.

Functionally, the 5610u matches it. However, the visceral experience of putting on the 5000u after wearing the 5610u feels like step up in class. The all-metal B5000 has a few extras like Bluetooth connectivity and short reminder message possibilites but that may even be a negative for some. Likewise with its weight. For me, its great for going out for a few hours but overall the 5000u is better suited as an "all the time" watch. Or, at least as Bob Dylan once sang, “Most of the time”…

So why own all three?

For me, I have noticed that, once I have found something I like design/function wise the only thing left to organise is use case scenarios. This is probably why I have several Fender Telecaster guitars. Love that design over other electric guitars. They only differ in pick-up choices, wood and fretboard preferences and so on. That way, every time I pick one up, I find myself in instantly familiar territory in terms of playability. All that remains are choices for a given use case.

What might those use cases be for each watch?

5610u: The happy beater watch. So light, you will forget you are even wearing it. I have fitted mine with a no-name plastic link bracelet which is feather light and cost $14. While stiffer, possibly less comfortable (but fine) and less “classy” looking than the Casio link version, it survived in the jungles of Columbia for 7 months which included wet seasons (they have 2 each year). Its a watch that feels like a loving pet - always glad to see you and ready to go. A fuss and worry free, fun and capable watch true to the G-Shock ethos.

At the other end of the scale, the B5000 is classy and comfortable. A watch that wouldn't look out of place with a business suit or out to dinner at a silver service restaurant. To the casual glance, many people may mistake it for a smart watch due to its all-black metal stealthiness and dark, negative display.

For the private enjoyment of a very well-made G-Shock that can be worn most of the time (or even all of the time), well, that's the 5000u. It may be something only the wearer appreciates or perhaps a fellow fanatic with an observant eye. The thing is though, if you own one, you will appreciate it every day. It will be your private enjoyment, your guilt-free pleasure. After all it won’t break the bank, make you question that you have an addiction that is ruining your life or put you into jeopardy with your partner.

Rather, it is its humble ordinariness that disguises its inner quality, it becomes the Cosmic Joke that only the wearer gets. The stuff of which Mona-Lisa smiles are made.

JP Chestnut
Name: Jacob

Re: Casio G-Shock GW-5000u Review and Comparison: A great metal watch in a wetsuit...

Post by JP Chestnut » Sat Jun 17, 2023 9:22 am

I was ready to razz you as a noob, and I'm still not sure if this is some high end AI generated post, but I do really like these in-depth comparisons. I was all set to buy the GW-5000 and it didn't happen. Do you know if the GW-5000u and the GW-5000 are the same size? I think that I recall that the new one was very slightly larger but I'm not 100%.

CGSshorty
Admin

Re: Casio G-Shock GW-5000u Review and Comparison: A great metal watch in a wetsuit...

Post by CGSshorty » Sat Jun 17, 2023 9:29 am

I’m 99% sure this is spam. I’m impressed with the effort, though.
"It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever."
David St. Hubbins

Ray Deeyay

Post by Ray Deeyay » Sat Jun 17, 2023 9:32 am

Err, no, it’s not spam. I just posted it. Does spam look like a watch review?! Who benefits?

Chocodove
Name: Todd

Post by Chocodove » Sat Jun 17, 2023 9:34 am

Ray Deeyay wrote:Err, no, it’s not spam. I just posted it. Does spam look like a watch review?! Who benefits?
It’s not uncommon to get posts similar to this and spammer then comes back and edits the original post with a spam link. Happens somewhat often around here.
- Todd

Ray Deeyay

Post by Ray Deeyay » Sat Jun 17, 2023 9:40 am

JP Chestnut wrote:
Sat Jun 17, 2023 9:22 am
I was ready to razz you as a noob, and I'm still not sure if this is some high end AI generated post, but I do really like these in-depth comparisons. I was all set to buy the GW-5000 and it didn't happen. Do you know if the GW-5000u and the GW-5000 are the same size? I think that I recall that the new one was very slightly larger but I'm not 100%.
I may be a”noob” to posting on watch forums but not to watches. :-) And this is the second spam accusation/suspicion which genuinely has me scratching my non-robotic or AI generated head.

More usefully perhaps, to answer your question, both iterations of the GW-5000 have identical dimensions. The 5610 series however are ever so slightly square (i.e., less flattened rectangularly if that makes sense). It’s subtle but just enough to mean the bezels are not interchangeable. Hope that helps.

Ray Deeyay

Post by Ray Deeyay » Sat Jun 17, 2023 9:48 am

[/quote]
It’s not uncommon to get posts similar to this and spammer then comes back and edits the original post with a spam link. Happens somewhat often around here.
[/quote]

Really? OK then I am a noob :-)
Now I’m curious though. What would stop any poster/post from doing that? I guess I’m asking why did my particular post (which looks fairly harmless to me) attract that sort of suspicion?. Because it was long?

I made it that way because I remember in my own watch searches the enjoyment of savouring detailed reviews of a given watch that had taken my interest.

DoctorC
Name: Greg

Post by DoctorC » Sat Jun 17, 2023 9:51 am

Ray, welcome.
To help prevent being suspected as a potential spammer, consider popping in and introducing yourself before you throw out a review.
It's like walking up to a campsite where a bunch of guy (and gals) who have known each other for quite a while and start spouting off on all you know about camping and fishing.
Everyone around the fire thinks, who the hell is this guy.
We're a pretty tight knit group who tends to watch out for each other.

Great review, stick around and you might learn sine things and meet some great people as well.
Greg

Chocodove

Post by Chocodove » Sat Jun 17, 2023 9:52 am

Ray Deeyay wrote:
[/quote]

Really? OK then I am a noob :-)
Now I’m curious though. What would stop any poster/post from doing that? I guess I’m asking why did my particular post (which looks fairly harmless to me) attract that sort of suspicion?. Because it was long?

I made it that way because I remember in my own watch searches the enjoyment of savouring detailed reviews of a given watch that had taken my interest.[/quote]

It was a first post by an unknown account, which is suspicious. Usually new guys do an intro (which I still recommend you do) before going all out on posting, particularly something so lengthy.

Anyway, it’s all good. Welcome to DWC.
- Todd

Ray Deeyay

Post by Ray Deeyay » Sat Jun 17, 2023 9:57 am

DoctorC wrote:
Sat Jun 17, 2023 9:51 am
Ray, welcome.
To help prevent being suspected as a potential spammer, consider popping in and introducing yourself before you throw out a review.
It's like walking up to a campsite where a bunch of guy (and gals) who have known each other for quite a while and start spouting off on all you know about camping and fishing.
Everyone around the fire thinks, who the hell is this guy.
We're a pretty tight knit group who tends to watch out for each other.

Great review, stick around and you might learn sine things and meet some great people as well.
Fair enough. That makes sense. Thanks. My intention wasn’t to be some know-it-all. Just to spread some appreciation for a few watches. :-)

JP Chestnut

Post by JP Chestnut » Sat Jun 17, 2023 10:04 am

Ray Deeyay wrote:
Sat Jun 17, 2023 9:32 am
Err, no, it’s not spam. I just posted it. Does spam look like a watch review?! Who benefits?
This forum has had a bunch of AI generated spam postings. It's pretty clear that someone is using online forums as a test bed for AI development. Also, people typically do an intro post on this forum, as it's a pretty small and tight knit community.

With that said, you clearly have a lot to contribute so welcome.

Torrid
Name: Heath

Post by Torrid » Sat Jun 17, 2023 10:10 am

I’ve had one of these for a few weeks now. The strap material great. I think I like it more than my gold metal square.

JP Chestnut

Post by JP Chestnut » Sat Jun 17, 2023 10:10 am

Also, you asked why I thought this was AI generated -- it's because you did such a good job on the formatting. It was definitely a high quality contribution, but the highly structured nature of the post was similar to what the AI attempts to do.

Ray Deeyay

Post by Ray Deeyay » Sat Jun 17, 2023 10:16 am

JP Chestnut wrote:
Sat Jun 17, 2023 10:10 am
Also, you asked why I thought this was AI generated -- it's because you did such a good job on the formatting. It was definitely a high quality contribution, but the highly structured nature of the post was similar to what the AI attempts to do.
Ahh. :-) Thanks for that. In my non-watch life I am an author of books and published research papers, hundreds a blogs, a few articles for newspapers and magazines yada, yada :-)
It pains me aesthetically to write something without attention to detail. I guess that goes under the category of a work-related injury… :-)

JP Chestnut

Post by JP Chestnut » Sat Jun 17, 2023 10:17 am

Ray Deeyay wrote:
Sat Jun 17, 2023 10:16 am
JP Chestnut wrote:
Ahh. :-) Thanks for that. In my non-watch life I am an author of books and published research papers, hundreds a blogs, a few articles for newspapers and magazines yada, yada :-)
It pains me aesthetically to write something without attention to detail. I guess that goes under the category of a work-related injury… :-)
What do you do research in? I'm a professor.

Ray Deeyay

Post by Ray Deeyay » Sat Jun 17, 2023 10:20 am

I certainly don’t mean to be rude (or even unintentionally mysterious) but I would rather keep my work life separate and just enjoy this watch forum for chatting about watches. You are probably the same but I find reading watch reviews and chat relaxing.

Henryj
Bubblehead
Name: Old guy

Post by Henryj » Sat Jun 17, 2023 10:26 am

JP Chestnut wrote:
It’s pretty sad that the ability to write a clear and well organized paragraph instantly raises the suspicion of “AI generated”. I’m not saying it’s wrong, more a lament on the horribly low standards of you humans’ usual communication skills.
If you put a large switch in some cave somewhere, with a sign on it saying 'End-of-the-World Switch. PLEASE DO NOT TOUCH', the paint wouldn't even have time to dry.

JP Chestnut

Post by JP Chestnut » Sat Jun 17, 2023 10:27 am

Henryj wrote:
Sat Jun 17, 2023 10:26 am
JP Chestnut wrote:
It’s pretty sad that the ability to write a clear and well organized paragraph instantly raises the suspicion of “AI generated”. I’m not saying it’s wrong, more a lament on the horribly low standards of you humans’ usual communication skills.
I only communicate in emojis
:banplz:
:tap:
:nutkick:

Ray Deeyay

Post by Ray Deeyay » Sat Jun 17, 2023 10:28 am

Torrid wrote:
I’ve had one of these for a few weeks now. The strap material great. I think I like it more than my gold metal square.
Yes, I find it certainly grows on me the more I use it. I briefly owned a gold metal square but returned it to the shop (yes, I am old-fashioned in that I like to buy locally from a brick and mortar shop where possible) and got the black, DLC coated one instead. As much as it was quite dazzling, I quickly realized that for me, there would not be many situations where it would get much wrist time. Beautiful watch though.

The GW-5000u though is so comfortable you could wear it 24/7 :-)

Chocodove

Post by Chocodove » Sat Jun 17, 2023 10:29 am

Henryj wrote:
horribly low standards of you humans’ usual communication skills.

After all this time, we learn Henry is actually a
robot.
- Todd

Ray Deeyay

Post by Ray Deeyay » Sat Jun 17, 2023 10:36 am

[/quote]
It was a first post by an unknown account, which is suspicious. Usually new guys do an intro (which I still recommend you do) before going all out on posting, particularly something so lengthy.

Anyway, it’s all good. Welcome to DWC.
[/quote]

Thanks Todd. I took your advice and did a brief intro in the main forum.

JP Chestnut

Post by JP Chestnut » Sat Jun 17, 2023 10:39 am

Careful with the quotes. It's should be

Code: Select all

[quote]
xxx

Code: Select all

[/quote]
That's particularly important on this forum, due to the nested quoting feature.

Selym
Name: Myles

Post by Selym » Sat Jun 17, 2023 2:06 pm

Chocodove wrote:
Sat Jun 17, 2023 10:29 am
Henryj wrote:
horribly low standards of you humans’ usual communication skills.

After all this time, we learn Henry is actually a
robot.
He's an armed robot!

snootydog
Jagermaster
Name: Andy

Post by snootydog » Sat Jun 17, 2023 2:15 pm

Chocodove wrote:
Sat Jun 17, 2023 9:52 am
Usually new guys do an intro
They should and they used too but so many don't bother anymore and dive straight in (pun intended) to various forums here like Ray has here.
I'm sure Chris and I both had our fingers hovering over the ban button but I guess we shouldn't judge a book by its cover :lol:
Andy :uj:

CGSshorty
Admin

Post by CGSshorty » Sat Jun 17, 2023 3:01 pm

I was thisclose.
"It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever."
David St. Hubbins