The Case

Sub forum dedicated to the DWCCP

Moderator: Brian D

kfallsrider

Re: The Case

Post by kfallsrider » Wed Feb 17, 2010 2:41 pm

polaco23 wrote:i like the external bezel, and the first rendering. Graeme your a talented guy!

+1

(although it makes me nervous to agree with someone with such a unique sig-line)

polaco23
Actually chooses to live in Detroit
Name: Dominik

Post by polaco23 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 2:51 pm

kfallsrider wrote:
polaco23 wrote:i like the external bezel, and the first rendering. Graeme your a talented guy!

+1

(although it makes me nervous to agree with someone with such a unique sig-line)
Trust me im a genius! And welcome to DWC! :cheers:
Dominik

kfallsrider

Post by kfallsrider » Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:03 pm

Thanks for the welcome.

What does your genius level intellect say about a brass or ........... case? I would love to have a non Stainless/Ti watch in the collection.

Ciao
Vincent

SonnyD

Post by SonnyD » Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:59 pm

It's sounding good so far
Regards Sonny

matt.wu
Wu
Name: m@

Post by matt.wu » Wed Feb 17, 2010 4:00 pm

I'm probably out if it's a 22mm lug-width. I don't like 22mm bracelets at all. I'll definitely watch to see what you guys end up coming up with though.
:htfu:

GGD

Post by GGD » Wed Feb 17, 2010 5:36 pm

Looks good guys.... my only concern with hooded lugs is that I've had issues in the past with not being able to get a zulu strap on them.... and you know how my zulu strap addiction is :lol:

mattcantwin
mattcreatestonsofwatchrelateddrama

Post by mattcantwin » Wed Feb 17, 2010 5:46 pm

matt.wu wrote:I'm probably out if it's a 22mm lug-width.

I don't like 22mm bracelets at all.

:think:

What if the bracelet tapered to 20mm?

Geoffrey

Post by Geoffrey » Wed Feb 17, 2010 6:14 pm

Hi All
I'm following this current thread with rapt attention and great anticipation
for the final product. Since this is a wish list watch here goes;
I really want to be able to use a Nato / Zulu strap as a bracelet adds to much overall weight.
20 mm okay, 22 mm better.
I'm not big on internal bezels
as they seem to much of a pita to set quickly. Stem at 4:00 is okay as well.
What I would really like to see is a nifty,cool,ultra case back design.
Many thanks to Graeme for the mock ups as it makes the DWC
watch much easier to "see"
G

. :bananastoner:

giosdad

Post by giosdad » Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:25 am

That case works for me.

How much does an internal bezel design add to build costs and relaibility (Warranty issues)? I would assume both would increase.
Regards
Barry

Diaboliq
Strap Maker Extraordinaire
Name: Joe

Post by Diaboliq » Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:30 am

May I suggest a crown like this?

Click:

Sooner

Post by Sooner » Thu Feb 18, 2010 8:00 am

GGD wrote:Looks good guys.... my only concern with hooded lugs is that I've had issues in the past with not being able to get a zulu strap on them
Agreed. Hooded lugs can limit strap options. That's the ONLY reason I sold my otherwise beloved Holotype. Also not a fan of internal bezels. Cushion case is great, but why not open lugs like a Doxa?

ezcheese
Cheese Connoisseur
Name: Derek

Post by ezcheese » Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:00 am

There is a pretty good thread going on now at WUS regarding cushion cases. Caesarmascetti makes some good points about lug to lug and width of his Seiko cushion case.

http://forums.watchuseek.com/showthread.php?t=363806
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Sooner

Post by Sooner » Thu Feb 18, 2010 5:28 pm

ezcheese wrote:There is a pretty good thread going on now at WUS regarding cushion cases. Caesarmascetti makes some good points about lug to lug and width of his Seiko cushion case.
Saw that, Derek. Cushion case with open lugs like Seiko 6309 or Doxa would be a home run IMHO. Hooded lugs = deal killer, at least for me. How about a poll for open lugs vs. hooded lugs?

SCM64
Global Mod/Sinn fanboy

Post by SCM64 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 6:39 pm

GGD wrote:Looks good guys.... my only concern with hooded lugs is that I've had issues in the past with not being able to get a zulu strap on them.... and you know how my zulu strap addiction is :lol:
+1 :cheers:
Steven

Sexually Desirable RockStar Moderator

Brian D
DWC Tribal Council
Name: Really?

Post by Brian D » Thu Feb 18, 2010 8:00 pm

SCM64 wrote:
GGD wrote:Looks good guys.... my only concern with hooded lugs is that I've had issues in the past with not being able to get a zulu strap on them.... and you know how my zulu strap addiction is :lol:
+1 :cheers:
+2 :love:
The Way of the Warrior is
To Live to Die

Brian D.

Jamie
I'll slip an extra shrimp on the barbie for you
Name: Jamie

Post by Jamie » Sun Feb 21, 2010 1:25 pm

Looks nice so far guys.

Diaboliq
Strap Maker Extraordinaire
Name: Joe

Post by Diaboliq » Mon Feb 22, 2010 3:24 am

Sooner wrote:
ezcheese wrote:There is a pretty good thread going on now at WUS regarding cushion cases. Caesarmascetti makes some good points about lug to lug and width of his Seiko cushion case.
Saw that, Derek. Cushion case with open lugs like Seiko 6309 or Doxa would be a home run IMHO. Hooded lugs = deal killer, at least for me. How about a poll for open lugs vs. hooded lugs?

My vote for something in between:

Click:

425ranger
OMGWTFBBQ
Name: Bill

Post by 425ranger » Mon Feb 22, 2010 7:13 am

Diaboliq wrote:May I suggest a crown like this?

+1
Retired
Key West, FL
Have a sparkling day.

deepcdvr
Flipper Extraordinaire
Name: Paul

Post by deepcdvr » Tue Feb 23, 2010 3:33 am

patstarrx wrote:Cant the lugs be a bit bigger? 22-24?
+1

20mm is just a hair small
VR/
Paul

SI VI PACEM, PARA BELLUM

deepcdvr
Flipper Extraordinaire
Name: Paul

Post by deepcdvr » Tue Feb 23, 2010 3:37 am

matt.wu wrote:I'm probably out if it's a 22mm lug-width. I don't like 22mm bracelets at all. I'll definitely watch to see what you guys end up coming up with though.
What's wrong with 22? I think that's my favorite, although most of my watches are in the 43 range. Even my new Precista looks great with 22's.

20mm to me is just too narrow :scratch: Works on the 42 PO and most dress watches, but divers deserve 22's IMHO
VR/
Paul

SI VI PACEM, PARA BELLUM

Brian D
DWC Tribal Council
Name: Really?

Post by Brian D » Tue Feb 23, 2010 6:52 am

22 is probably the best in between for a dive watch. 24 just seems way wide and like Paul (good to see ya MC) said 20 is good for dress and others.
The Way of the Warrior is
To Live to Die

Brian D.

matt.wu
Wu
Name: m@

Post by matt.wu » Tue Feb 23, 2010 1:09 pm

deepcdvr wrote:
matt.wu wrote:I'm probably out if it's a 22mm lug-width. I don't like 22mm bracelets at all. I'll definitely watch to see what you guys end up coming up with though.
What's wrong with 22? I think that's my favorite, although most of my watches are in the 43 range. Even my new Precista looks great with 22's.

20mm to me is just too narrow :scratch: Works on the 42 PO and most dress watches, but divers deserve 22's IMHO
For me, 22mm in SS gets too bulky - in both looks and weight. My wrists only measure-in at 6.5-6.75" or so, so that definitely plays into it, but I like to be able to do anything in a watch I'm wearing. Sometimes I'll play random games of pickup basketball with some kids, and I'm almost always on my bike to work, so heavy/bulky bracelets are a big turnoff to me.

Perhaps it's also more about what the lug-width says about the watch. I've found that if a watch has 20mm lugs, proportionally the rest of the watch is right for me. The watches I like all have 20mm bracelets: Kobold Soarway Diver, Rolex Sub/SD/Explorer, Omega SMP, Omega PO, Doxa 1000T, etc....

I think the only 22mm bracelet that I have liked is the Sinn (on the U1 or 757). But it is just my personal preference in watches, so if it works for the majority of the folks, by all means, this watch should have 22mm lugs.
:htfu:

nsg1tausend

Post by nsg1tausend » Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:40 pm

1+ with 22 mm lugs- great work so far.
:thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Regards
Robt
Graeme wrote:
DMB wrote:THAT'S what I'm talking about. It already has that cool vintage look. How about 2 crowns and an interior bezel for that supercompressor look? OK, I'll just be quiet then.
Hi David,
Here are a few based on your idea,

Graeme,

lilreddivinghood
Name: Red

Post by lilreddivinghood » Fri Apr 16, 2010 7:37 am

My preference is the first rendering minus the hooded lugs, (drilled preferably) @ 20mm or 22mm with 3 o clock crown, beadblasted w/external bezel w/Ploprof style chamfor and keyways for use w/gloves on. This is actually better for diving in colder waters and having to adjust the pip due to slowbuddyitus, (which would prohibit fiddling with a second crown for the internal bezel.) I know this will annoy the sterile dial folks :neener: but I would also love to see a Nautical star or Compass Rose logo somewhere on the dial. :cheers:
>< )))*> Red <*((( ><
...Image...
Certified Chronopath

speedbird119
Name: Michael Rinaldi

Post by speedbird119 » Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:04 pm

I think hooded lugs will make the strap-to-case proportion look odd if the lug less than 22mm.

If the case is indeed to be a 44mm as the poll suggests, than a 24mm lug width does a couple of things. It provide a better proportional balance between the case size and strap width, and the 24mm strap market is the best segment and there are a ton of cross-over straps, bracelets, mesh, etc. to fit new shoes at will.

I also think the partially open hooded lugs like the Titan and 6309 are more original and appealing. If 44 width with 24mm lugs, this can make it very modern and still fit the majority of the guys here, it's not too big to overwhelm the smaller wrist crowd, and has the right presence to please those who prefer the larger cases.

Crown at 7? Sure...sounds sweet.

One thing with the date window, can a 6R15 accommodate this? Or is there a new movement in mind? I would prefer to keep the Seiko movement over the date window placement. And I cast a vote for white on black date wheel, not the other way around. Much cleaner and refined IMHO.

If it matters, Helson is doing a full-hooded Omega homage that may be too direct of a competitor...

Best,

Mike