How to Calibrate a Quartz Chronograph

vbuskirk
Thread Jacker Extraordinaire
Name: Chris

How to Calibrate a Quartz Chronograph

Post by vbuskirk » Tue Feb 02, 2010 6:16 am

I saw someone do this in a watch store once, but didn't realize the trick was so pervasive (according to http://www.righttime.com/rt/quest.htm).

Q. Chronograph long hand on my quartz Tag Heuer chronograph diver model dosen't return to "0" anymore, is it a serious repair?

A. Not at all. It is very simple to correct. This simple repair works on 2 most popular Swiss made qaurtz chronograph movements that have been used by many brands like Tag Heuer, Breitling, Chase-Durer, Tissot, Xemex, Tutima, Belair, Omega, Longines, and many, many more for the past 20 years and they are: 22 jewels ETA 251.272 with 3 chronograph hands and 27 jewels ETA 251.262 with 4 chronograph hands. The "0" position of every chronograph hand is a logical one and not physical, like in a mechanical watch, so its the circuit board that is controlling where each hand returns to and if watch was dropped or jolted hard, especially the long sweep second recording hand or minute recording hand, can get out of "whack" and return to few minutes before or after "0"/"12". To correct this problem you need to:
Start the chronograph with the button at "2" o'clock (usual position).
Stop the chronograph with the same button.
Return all hands to zero with "4" o'clock button (usual position) - it doesn't matter where they actually return, as long as they return.
Pull the crown OUT into the time setting position, second click or all the way out position
Keep pressing the button at "2" and change the "return to" position of 60 seconds sweep second hand.
Press the button at "4" to correct the 1/10sec small hand at "2" o'clock register.
Push the crown IN one notch into a calendar changing mode and repeat the same procedure with 2 buttons and 2 remaining hands( only 1 remaining on a 3 hand chronograph)
Push the crown all the way in (in case of dive/sport watches SCREW DOWN the crown tight!)
Now if you start, stop and return to zero your stopwatch - all hands will return to the zero you set them to.
Nothing to it...but for strange reason, not a single watch factory or ETA ever published this information for the consumers!
The same technique, but a different routine and sequence will work on most quartz chronograph models made by ETA, Seiko and Citizen.
Chris

ElChingon7
Official DWC Boot Whore
Name: Glæn

Re: How to Calibrate a Quartz Chronograph

Post by ElChingon7 » Tue Feb 02, 2010 6:55 am

Damn, that's awesome. I have a Zodiac that doesn't return to 0. I'll be trying that as soon as I get home :clap: :clap:
WTF

ezcheese
Cheese Connoisseur
Name: Derek

Post by ezcheese » Tue Feb 02, 2010 6:58 am

Seiko publishes how to do this in their manuals. :fro:
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

BSears
The Grumpy Global Mod
Name: Mr. Dibs
Location: Big Blue Nation, Land of the Free-Home of the Brave

Post by BSears » Tue Feb 02, 2010 7:03 am

definitely some good info. Maybe we should make this a sticky. :think:
You give respect, you'll get respect - you just don't know your place.

jimyritz
Masshole
Name: Mike

Post by jimyritz » Tue Feb 02, 2010 8:04 am

+1 on that....Excellent information...

Thanks Chris..

Mike

SonnyD

Post by SonnyD » Tue Feb 02, 2010 4:08 pm

I had my local AD show me once for my B&R, it can definitely come in handy. Although
every chrono I have, the process is a little different.
Regards Sonny

suddha
Action/Adventure Protagonist
Name: Jason

Post by suddha » Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:10 am

This has worked with chronos for me in the past, from a Swatch Irony to my ETA 955.12 Louis Pion. Pretty cool trick!

Jyabbz

Post by Jyabbz » Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:54 pm

Can someone explain how to zero the chrono hands at the 9 position? Not to sure about pulling the crown out in the change calender mode and pressing two buttons?