Interesting thread on TRF - Rolex IS watching

Discussion of Rolex Watches.
JP Chestnut
Name: Jacob

Re: Interesting thread on TRF - Rolex IS watching

Post by JP Chestnut » Sun Jun 19, 2022 5:31 pm

Now that grey prices are tanking, TRF coincidentally just decided to start enforcing a rule against starting threads talking about pricing. Weird how it wasn’t a problem when every other thread was about how buying grey at any price was a great financial investment. I wonder what’s different now?

Chocodove
Name: Todd

Post by Chocodove » Sun Jun 19, 2022 5:38 pm

JP Chestnut wrote:Now that grey prices are tanking, TRF coincidentally just decided to start enforcing a rule against starting threads talking about pricing. Weird how it wasn’t a problem when every other thread was about how buying grey at any price was a great financial investment. I wonder what’s different now?
Must be a very quiet forum these days if they can’t talk about pricing.
- Todd

JP Chestnut

Post by JP Chestnut » Sun Jun 19, 2022 5:49 pm

Chocodove wrote:
Sun Jun 19, 2022 5:38 pm
JP Chestnut wrote:Now that grey prices are tanking, TRF coincidentally just decided to start enforcing a rule against starting threads talking about pricing. Weird how it wasn’t a problem when every other thread was about how buying grey at any price was a great financial investment. I wonder what’s different now?
It is. There’s the odd person getting banned for pointing out that the forum bends over for greys and random “I got a sub” but alllllllll the crypto bros are MIA. It’s almost a nice place to visit now. Almost.

streetracer101
Name: Mr Shackleford

Post by streetracer101 » Sun Jun 19, 2022 7:47 pm

I really hope the bottom falls out. I want a silver BB58 and an EXP2.

hoppyjr
HJ
Name: Hoppy

Post by hoppyjr » Sun Jun 19, 2022 9:30 pm

streetracer101 wrote:I really hope the bottom falls out. I want a silver BB58 and an EXP2.
You may want the silver but you need the blue, on Jubilee!

toxicavenger
President Tranny
Name: HeadDIK

Post by toxicavenger » Mon Jun 20, 2022 6:26 am

JP Chestnut wrote:
Sun Jun 19, 2022 5:49 pm
Chocodove wrote:
It is. There’s the odd person getting banned for pointing out that the forum bends over for greys and random “I got a sub” but alllllllll the crypto bros are MIA. It’s almost a nice place to visit now. Almost.
They have to protect their gray dealer Marketer's. I honestly think they're pockets are lined by the gray market guys.

Ryeguy
Name: Chris

Post by Ryeguy » Mon Jun 20, 2022 7:24 am

toxicavenger wrote:
Mon Jun 20, 2022 6:26 am
JP Chestnut wrote:
Chocodove wrote:
They have to protect their gray dealer Marketer's. I honestly think they're pockets are lined by the gray market guys.
I think they can try to protect them, but the economic reality is what it is.

FWIW, I am working with a very large, immediately recognizable, brand name manufacturer who has just decided to curtail all internal project investments in light of the new economic situation.

I don't want to sound alarmist, but I see this as a leading indicator in the "reverse Reaganomics" we are soon all going to be living in. As big industrial spenders shut down their buying, all of us "little spenders" (individual consumers) will as well. Everything rolls down hill.

I believe Rolex is somewhat insulated from this due to their incredibly successful marketing program, but I think any brand operating in the "near luxury" category is going to be severely impacted.

streetracer101

Post by streetracer101 » Mon Jun 20, 2022 8:21 am

hoppyjr wrote:
Sun Jun 19, 2022 9:30 pm
streetracer101 wrote:I really hope the bottom falls out. I want a silver BB58 and an EXP2.
Lol. Do you have one for sale?

streetracer101

Post by streetracer101 » Mon Jun 20, 2022 8:23 am

Ryeguy wrote:
Mon Jun 20, 2022 7:24 am
toxicavenger wrote:
JP Chestnut wrote:
Chocodove wrote:

FWIW, I am working with a very large, immediately recognizable, brand name manufacturer who has just decided to curtail all internal project investments in light of the new economic situation.

I don't want to sound alarmist, but I see this as a leading indicator in the "reverse Reaganomics" we are soon all going to be living in. As big industrial spenders shut down their buying, all of us "little spenders" (individual consumers) will as well. Everything rolls down hill.

I believe Rolex is somewhat insulated from this due to their incredibly successful marketing program, but I think any brand operating in the "near luxury" category is going to be severely impacted.
I am already seeing this with collectible knives. The low and mid tier blades are slowly dropping in price after longer periods on the market. The upper tiers (2k plus in the most desirable makers) are still selling almost instantly.

JP Chestnut

Post by JP Chestnut » Mon Jun 20, 2022 8:29 am

Ryeguy wrote:
toxicavenger wrote:
JP Chestnut wrote:
Chocodove wrote:

I totally agree with you. A lot of the insane spending was being down by people who thought they were geniuses from riding the crypto wave. That’s totally gone at this point.

It seems the economy isn’t great, but I think it’s much worse than it currently looks.

hoppyjr
HJ
Name: Hoppy

Post by hoppyjr » Mon Jun 20, 2022 9:35 am

streetracer101 wrote:
hoppyjr wrote:

streetracer101

Post by streetracer101 » Mon Jun 20, 2022 10:41 am

hoppyjr wrote:
Mon Jun 20, 2022 9:35 am
streetracer101 wrote:
hoppyjr wrote:
You know how to reach me. Lol

dukerules

Post by dukerules » Mon Jun 20, 2022 12:27 pm

Not sure I care about or want Rolex anymore. The utter stupidity around that brand the last few years has really soured me.

toxicavenger
President Tranny
Name: HeadDIK

Post by toxicavenger » Mon Jun 20, 2022 9:07 pm

dukerules wrote:
Mon Jun 20, 2022 12:27 pm
Not sure I care about or want Rolex anymore. The utter stupidity around that brand the last few years has really soured me.
same :salute:

JP Chestnut

Post by JP Chestnut » Tue Jun 21, 2022 6:18 am

I still like the references I like and dislike the ones I don’t. I’m not really an AD buy at this point because most of the current watches don’t appeal to me.

JP Chestnut

Post by JP Chestnut » Tue Jun 21, 2022 7:25 am

Seppia wrote:
Tue Jun 21, 2022 7:23 am
The current 36mm DJ look great, other than that I think all the best references are in the past.
The 36mm DJ, DD, and explorer 1 all look nice and the build quality is impressive. However, the dial options for the DD36 are total shit now. I’d never spend $35,000 on a day date with so much a historically boring set of dials to choose from.

Based on looks alone a think an older model is superior to all of the above but the looks are close enough that the improved bracelets make them a consideration.

demer03
Current Forecast: Vintage Doxa
Name: Mike

Post by demer03 » Tue Jun 21, 2022 8:05 am

Ryeguy wrote:
toxicavenger wrote:
JP Chestnut wrote:
Chocodove wrote:

It’s gotten ludicrous. I’ve raised our prices 36-80% depending on product grouping and multiple times a week along comes another vendor with 15-20% in price hikes. My clients are starting to shelve construction projects as they are so over budget. This will end in tears.
Old Michigan steams like a young man's dreams
The islands and bays are for sportsmen

gwells
Name: Greg

Post by gwells » Tue Jun 21, 2022 5:23 pm

construction budgets are nuts. and it's nearly impossible to bid accurately with the unstable market.

demer03

Post by demer03 » Tue Jun 21, 2022 5:43 pm

gwells wrote:
Tue Jun 21, 2022 5:23 pm
construction budgets are nuts. and it's nearly impossible to bid accurately with the unstable market.
Yep. School project I was working had an 85M budget and bids came in at 89 and change in January. CM was ready to proceed but district decided to wait because prices would “come down”. County over had one that was budgeted at 89M and bids came in at 112 two weeks ago. They are going to proceed as there is real concern it will only get worse.

Strange days.

Ryeguy

Post by Ryeguy » Wed Jun 22, 2022 5:37 am

demer03 wrote:
Tue Jun 21, 2022 5:43 pm
gwells wrote:
Yep. School project I was working had an 85M budget and bids came in at 89 and change in January. CM was ready to proceed but district decided to wait because prices would “come down”. County over had one that was budgeted at 89M and bids came in at 112 two weeks ago. They are going to proceed as there is real concern it will only get worse.

Strange days.
Get ready for nation-wide local and state agencies to come in wildly over budget on fuel costs this year. I think every agency with a fleet of vehicles to be effected.

Even if you over-estimated fuel costs back in October when you submitted your budget, I don’t think anyone buffered enough to anticipate this.

There is a comic named Justin McKinney who was a former Deputy Sheriff in Maine. He tells a joke about how his county was so poor, they had to have internal debates about pursuing criminals based upon how much gas the cruiser had in the tank.

It’ll be interesting (not in a good way) to see how our taxes will be effected next year, or what budget items / services will be cut.

demer03

Post by demer03 » Wed Jun 22, 2022 6:02 am

Ryeguy wrote:
Wed Jun 22, 2022 5:37 am
demer03 wrote:
gwells wrote:

Strange days.
Get ready for nation-wide local and state agencies to come in wildly over budget on fuel costs this year. I think every agency with a fleet of vehicles to be effected.

Even if you over-estimated fuel costs back in October when you submitted your budget, I don’t think anyone buffered enough to anticipate this.

There is a comic named Justin McKinney who was a former Deputy Sheriff in Maine. He tells a joke about how his county was so poor, they had to have internal debates about pursuing criminals based upon how much gas the cruiser had in the tank.

It’ll be interesting (not in a good way) to see how our taxes will be effected next year, or what budget items / services will be cut.
Yes! We’ve already blown the years budget on natural gas (not only heating but mainly our paint line).

JP Chestnut

Post by JP Chestnut » Wed Jun 22, 2022 6:49 am

Ryeguy wrote:
demer03 wrote:
gwells wrote:

Strange days.

That’s not a joke — it’s reality: https://www.thedrive.com/news/michigan- ... d-to-calls

Bob1035
Name: Rob not Bob

Post by Bob1035 » Wed Jun 22, 2022 6:52 am

gwells wrote:
quoted for truth. PM for a mid size GC here. Its literally the wild west right now, its bizarre. We're trying to release/buy everything we can RIGHT F'NG NOW! and figuring out ways to store on our sites.

I'm hoping the tempo of the business will at some point make the Rolex/Tudor market actually relevant to me :cheers:

demer03

Post by demer03 » Wed Jun 22, 2022 7:13 am

Bob1035 wrote:
Wed Jun 22, 2022 6:52 am
gwells wrote:
quoted for truth. PM for a mid size GC here. Its literally the wild west right now, its bizarre. We're trying to release/buy everything we can RIGHT F'NG NOW! and figuring out ways to store on our sites.

I'm hoping the tempo of the business will at some point make the Rolex/Tudor market actually relevant to me :cheers:
Well, hello Bob. 12345 and 11610 supplier here. Let me know if I can help :lol:

Ryeguy

Post by Ryeguy » Wed Jun 22, 2022 7:45 am

JP Chestnut wrote:
Wed Jun 22, 2022 6:49 am
Ryeguy wrote:
demer03 wrote:
gwells wrote:

Strange days.

That’s not a joke — it’s reality: https://www.thedrive.com/news/michigan- ... d-to-calls
Wow - what once was humor is now reality.

I strongly suspect this strategy will be copied by departments across the country. They are all in the same boat and this seems like the only way to try to keep close to your budget.