Interesting thread on TRF - Rolex IS watching

Discussion of Rolex Watches.
Panerai7
Name: Art

Interesting thread on TRF - Rolex IS watching

Post by Panerai7 » Wed Aug 29, 2018 7:12 am

I found this interesting. As a lot of us predicted, Rolex is fighting a war against flippers/grey dealers.

My personal opinion: I just want to get a watch I'm gonna wear (not flip) within a reasonable amount of time from Rolex AD. And while I'm waiting in line I don't want to see "trusted" grey flippers selling for 2x MSRP. Whatever it takes for Rolex to accomplish that I'm fine with that.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=624963

logan2z
IT Admin
Name: Andrew

Re: Interesting thread on TRF - Rolex IS watching

Post by logan2z » Wed Aug 29, 2018 7:41 am

Absolutely incredible. I'm glad I have little desire to own a Rolex, I would never put up with the BS some people do to own one.

toxicavenger
President Tranny
Name: HeadDIK

Post by toxicavenger » Wed Aug 29, 2018 7:42 am

logan2z wrote:
Wed Aug 29, 2018 7:41 am
Absolutely incredible. I'm glad I have little desire to own a Rolex, I would never put up with the BS some people do to own one.
Me either. Freaking crazy what people would put up with to purchase a marketing tool. Like Ferrari.

logan2z
IT Admin
Name: Andrew

Post by logan2z » Wed Aug 29, 2018 7:51 am

toxicavenger wrote:
Wed Aug 29, 2018 7:42 am
logan2z wrote:
Me either. Freaking crazy what people would put up with to purchase a marketing tool. Like Ferrari.
Unfortunately I have no experience buying a Ferrari, but they produce a total of about 8000 cars annually while Rolex cranks out a million watches. So I'd expect it to be quite a bit more difficult to get my hands on a 488GTB than a mass-produced stainless steel watch.

Panerai7
Name: Art

Post by Panerai7 » Wed Aug 29, 2018 8:17 am

logan2z wrote:
Wed Aug 29, 2018 7:51 am
toxicavenger wrote:
logan2z wrote:
Unfortunately I have no experience buying a Ferrari, but they produce a total of about 8000 cars annually while Rolex cranks out a million watches. So I'd expect it to be quite a bit more difficult to get my hands on a 488GTB than a mass-produced stainless steel watch.
Rolex will release them all once they exterminate greys.

toxicavenger
President Tranny

Post by toxicavenger » Wed Aug 29, 2018 8:18 am

logan2z wrote:
toxicavenger wrote:
logan2z wrote:
True quantity wise, but Rolex isn't releasing anything right now.

toxicavenger
President Tranny

Post by toxicavenger » Wed Aug 29, 2018 8:19 am

logan2z wrote:
toxicavenger wrote:
logan2z wrote:

But the comparison was meant to say people put up with b.s. to own something because of a name.

Grahamcombat
Name: Graham

Post by Grahamcombat » Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:31 am

toxicavenger wrote:
logan2z wrote:
toxicavenger wrote:
logan2z wrote:

But the comparison was meant to say people put up with b.s. to own something because of a name.
I certainly hope so

sierra11b
Name: Eric

Post by sierra11b » Wed Aug 29, 2018 11:06 am

Would they refuse to service grey market watches? Do you need proof of purchase to even consider service? Certainly giving me a moment of pause in pursuing the exp1.

Might take another look at other great manufacturers/watches and save a ton in the process.

JBZ
Mr. Tasseled Loafer
Name: Jeff

Post by JBZ » Wed Aug 29, 2018 12:17 pm

I'm not saying you should buy a Rolex, and I'm not saying that you shouldn't, but just remember that a lot of stuff that gets reported on the forums with regard to Rolex or a myriad of other watch brands ends up being only partially correct or even wholly incorrect.

poppydog
aka Nelldog
Name: Steve

Post by poppydog » Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:38 am

I've read the original post on TRF several times over, but still have no idea who sold / has / flipped / wants to buy what? :scratch: :scratch:
Regards

Steve

rain_maker
Name: Fred

Post by rain_maker » Fri Aug 31, 2018 10:26 am

poppydog wrote:I've read the original post on TRF several times over, but still have no idea who sold / has / flipped / wants to buy what? :scratch: :scratch:
Lol me too
I started to re-read and then decided it wasn’t worth my time.

diver
Name: zach

Rolex will release them all once they exterminate greys. - never

Post by diver » Tue Sep 11, 2018 1:36 am

this "shortage", has been there for years, just expanding in models...

they kniw what the're doing, and doing it well. I'd love to be the fly on the wall in their "planning" room

JP Chestnut
Name: Jacob

Post by JP Chestnut » Wed Jan 19, 2022 5:06 pm

Somebody likes bumping Rolex threads.

goaliechris
Name: Chris

Post by goaliechris » Thu Jan 20, 2022 9:36 am

The ADs also try to scare the buyer by saying if you sell it, and it comes in for service under a different name, they could “blacklist” you from purchasing a watch in the future (assuming you flip a lot and not once hopefully). Not to mention refusing to service that watch - so they hit both parties.

It’s getting old and tired, whatever game it is they are playing, if the rumors are true about freezing out the gray market. What’s been worse - their brand image when you could buy a Sub anytime you wanted almost, or this multi year period where you can’t and prices on the secondary market are 2-4x? Where shelves are bare and ADs can mostly just talk with you about watches but not show you any? Unless you buy $500k or other crap through them, and get lucky.

Now, I do get the retailer to boutique movement more, like what AP and PP are doing. But that’s not the same level as Rolex.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hoppyjr
HJ
Name: Hoppy

Post by hoppyjr » Thu Jan 20, 2022 10:36 am

Funny thing is, three years from when this was posted and the problem isn’t better - it’s worse.

pbj204
Name: Paul

Post by pbj204 » Thu Jan 20, 2022 2:28 pm

This could be an interesting year. With the Fed turning off the juice, bubbles are already starting to burst. We'll see if the watch market is immune.

93 Turbo
Name: Jules

Post by 93 Turbo » Sun Jan 23, 2022 6:28 pm

Purely an observation, when a watch currently in production is selling 2 + times it's retail value, something has to give.

Either the manufacturer increases pricing to adjust the market, or the manufacturer attempts to increase production (I've heard that new facilities are being constructed, but this will be a slow burn and won't bring any marked production increase for possibly 2 years).

It will be interesting to reflect upon this in 24-36 months. Seeing if punters who bought currently hot & hugely price inflated sports models will be crying in the corner?
Strength is = 2 or > than "tipping over a so- called smart car plastered in “Coexist” bumper stickers".

Pat McNamara.

alund
Name: Alan

Post by alund » Mon Jan 24, 2022 3:50 am

I guess only time will tell. I could only hope production would increase and become more available, but at this time I will not hold out any hope that this will take place. I know I will not be purchasing any of the over inflated models, even if there is one I would love to pick up.

DON
Name: Ontario

Post by DON » Wed Feb 23, 2022 5:09 pm

Fact is. Manufactures created the grey market by forcing AD's to buy watches they can't sell in order to get the ones that do sell. Besides watches. AD's have to buy accessories etc. for every brand they have in stock which costs money and which they would prefer to use on watches.

If they can't sell it. Out the back door to a grey market seller

They can sell men's models all day long, but carrying women's models is a waste to have them sitting around

Most women I know buy flea market quartz watches as they can have a variety for very little money to match outfits.

Can kill the grey market by being more selective in the number of models produced and not forcing AD's to carry whole lines. They would still have to carry womens models (if manufacture sells), but cut back on the number

DON

jimyritz
Masshole
Name: Mike

Post by jimyritz » Thu Feb 24, 2022 7:55 am

Rolex created the problem- go look at the OP 41’s in orange, pink, Turqoise all retail for $6000 and selling for 3-5 times msrp… I wonder how these grey mkt dealers are getting brand new watches— my guess.. from the ADs… if Rolex increased production they would squash the grey mkt or at least reduce the crazy mark up. Again, Rolex created the problem..

hoppyjr
HJ
Name: Hoppy

Post by hoppyjr » Thu Feb 24, 2022 8:14 am

jimyritz wrote:Rolex created the problem- go look at the OP 41’s in orange, pink, Turqoise all retail for $6000 and selling for 3-5 times msrp… I wonder how these grey mkt dealers are getting brand new watches— my guess.. from the ADs… if Rolex increased production they would squash the grey mkt or at least reduce the crazy mark up. Again, Rolex created the problem..
Absolutely. I’m sure many AD’s are getting a kickback from grey dealers, so selling inventory to them. Rolex could absolutely end this with increased production.

pbj204
Name: Paul

Post by pbj204 » Mon Jun 13, 2022 11:35 am

pbj204 wrote:
Thu Jan 20, 2022 2:28 pm
This could be an interesting year. With the Fed turning off the juice, bubbles are already starting to burst. We'll see if the watch market is immune.
Can I buy a Rolex at retail yet?

Ryeguy
Name: Chris

Post by Ryeguy » Mon Jun 13, 2022 11:46 am

pbj204 wrote:
Mon Jun 13, 2022 11:35 am
pbj204 wrote:
Maybe not yet, but probably soon.

I just reread an old article about how Richemont Group bought back $212M worth of inventory from AD's and destroyed it to keep it from going into the grey market.

I'm not sure Rolex will ever do this, but I think the days of $10K grey market premium price points are coming to an end.

JP Chestnut
Name: Jacob

Post by JP Chestnut » Mon Jun 13, 2022 12:58 pm

pbj204 wrote:
Mon Jun 13, 2022 11:35 am
pbj204 wrote:
I'm starting to see a small few nearly new watches selling at or below MSRP plus tax. I think the 36mm Explorer 1 and Daydate are going to start selling below retail plus tax NIB shortly. I've seen nearly new 41mm Sub dates offered at around $14,000 which isn't super far off of MSRP + tax if you're in an expensive place.