Has anyone owned an Explorer and a BB58?

Discussion of Rolex Watches.
dukerules

Post by dukerules » Sun Apr 26, 2020 10:35 am

And if so, thoughts on one of these as a daily wearer? I'm 98% sure I know which one I'm going to get, but interested in anyone's perspective while I'm sitting at home bored. BTW., the Explorer would be a 214270 Mk2

Chocodove
Name: Todd

Post by Chocodove » Sun Apr 26, 2020 10:58 am

I’ve had both. Two 214270 MK2’s, actually. The BB58 is a great watch and I wouldn’t mind another one someday, but for me there’s no comparison. The gilt, while more subdued IRL than in pictures, just wasn’t for me after a while. I also couldn’t get the bracelet sized exactly where I wanted it. Fake rivets - meh.

214270 can easily be a one and only if you don’t need a bezel or date. Pure class and goes with absolutely anything IMO.

Of course, the Rolex is quite literally almost twice price. Hard to compare the two based on what they cost.

- Todd

tmw
Name: The Enabler

Re: Has anyone owned an Explorer and a BB58?

Post by tmw » Sun Apr 26, 2020 11:03 am

I have explorers (in fact two of them - a mk1 and mk2) and had the bb58.

Explorer every day. It’s a pretty obvious decision to me.

It’s the gilt that ultimately does it in for the 58 imho. Maybe a better scheme which I am sure is coming.
Stan, don’t you know the first law of physics? Anything that’s fun costs at least eight dollars”
-- Eric Cartman

“To absent friends, lost loves, old gods, and the season of mists; and may each and every one of us always give the devil his due.”
― Neil Gaiman, The Sandman

I bought a cheap watch from a crazy man
Floating down canal
It doesn't use numbers or moving hands
It always just says now
Now you may be thinking that I was had
But this watch is never wrong
And If I have trouble the warranty said
Breathe In, Breathe Out, Move On

- Jimmy Buffett

gonzomantis
Name: Mike

Post by gonzomantis » Sun Apr 26, 2020 11:07 am

I had the BB, but never an Explorer. The "slab sided" case on the BB is what eventually got me to flip it. I'd love to try the Explorer, but that seems well out of reach for me right now.

hoppyjr
HJ
Name: Hoppy

Post by hoppyjr » Sun Apr 26, 2020 11:45 am

As mentioned, both are excellent but the Explorer is the clear winner. I’ve had both and agree with Todd, the gold isn’t for me. The Explorer is timeless and classy.

matt.wu
Wu
Name: m@

Post by matt.wu » Sun Apr 26, 2020 11:53 am

Literally just went through this. Had both the 214270 and BB58. No question they fill the same “slot” in a watch box if you’re the type of person to think about it that way (I am).

My personal opinion is that there were only two reasons I’d choose the Explorer over the BB58 (both of which are completely legitimate):

1) Easylink clasp - this is major for me and I use it frequently on my Rolex watches. Love how easy it is to use, and I rarely need more than that level of adjustment back and forth.

2) It’s a Rolex - you can take this a couple different ways. You get the Rolex name and cache for sure, but even if you think you’re above that, the Rolex brand also implies reliability, value retention, and long-term support.

In all other ways (to me), the BB58 wins. I think it’s actually a more refined watch as a whole, it’s more interesting with the gilt coloring throwing back to older models, it wears better on NATOs, it’s also got the in-house movement, and probably most significantly, it’s half the price.

There’s certainly room for both in a collection if you’re a “collector”. I still haven’t made a decision and waft back and forth, since I really only want one.

Truth be told though, you can’t go wrong with either.

ImageImage
:htfu:

dnslater
Name: Nick

Post by dnslater » Sun Apr 26, 2020 3:32 pm

Recently sold my BB58 after wearing it daily for about 18 months. Never found any faults with it and only sold it because I always wanted to try a 16600. The gilt got a little old after awhile as a daily wearer, but it also gives it warmth and a little charm. I wonder if a non gilt version would be too sterile.

Never tried an Explorer, but you can’t go wrong there. Personally I am too drawn towards clicks bezels.

dukerules

Post by dukerules » Mon Apr 27, 2020 3:41 am

Thanks, everyone. There is no wrong decision here, but I think I know how I'm leaning.

Panerai7
Name: Art

Post by Panerai7 » Mon Apr 27, 2020 4:21 am

Seppia wrote:
Sun Apr 26, 2020 12:15 pm
Whenever I see a 39mm Explorer I can’t help but think it’s a great watch in the wrong size.
I’d go with neither as I don’t like the gilt, but other than that I like the BB58 much better.
Agree, should have been a 41-42mm
I’m still waiting for Tudor to redo their Ranger with in-house movt and it’ll be a perfect Explorer substitute

JBZ
Mr. Tasseled Loafer
Name: Jeff

Post by JBZ » Mon Apr 27, 2020 5:42 am

Panerai7 wrote:
Mon Apr 27, 2020 4:21 am
Seppia wrote:
Whenever I see a 39mm Explorer I can’t help but think it’s a great watch in the wrong size.
I’d go with neither as I don’t like the gilt, but other than that I like the BB58 much better.
I’m still waiting for Tudor to redo their Ranger with in-house movt and it’ll be a perfect Explorer substitute
I have a feeling Andrea thinks it should be smaller (like the original 36mm size).

I agree with you on the Ranger. I'm actually fine with the ETA movement, but I wish they did a bracelet with fitted endlinks.

I've never owned the BB58, but I've owned it's slightly larger cousin with the red bezel. Between the two I'd go Explorer. If that watch came with a date it would be a perfect one watch for me. But I've been moving away from dive watches for awhile, so I can see a dive watch fan wanting the BB.

jimyritz
Masshole
Name: Mike

Post by jimyritz » Mon Apr 27, 2020 5:45 am

Pound for pound- I think the 58 is one of the best watches on the market....Does any other brand giving you an inhouse with 70 hr power reserve and 200M of WR at 4K? Clearly, you have to like the vintage/gilt look and enjoy the fit of a 39MM case.

I had a 58 and sold it as I was looking to change up the collection, but will own one in the future.

That being said, I would love to try a new Exp 1....As Matt said, can't go wrong either way.

Panerai7

Post by Panerai7 » Mon Apr 27, 2020 6:13 am

JBZ wrote:
Mon Apr 27, 2020 5:42 am
Panerai7 wrote:
Mon Apr 27, 2020 4:21 am
Seppia wrote:
I have a feeling Andrea thinks it should be smaller (like the original 36mm size).

I agree with you on the Ranger. I'm actually fine with the ETA movement, but I wish they did a bracelet with fitted endlinks.

I've never owned the BB58, but I've owned it's slightly larger cousin with the red bezel. Between the two I'd go Explorer. If that watch came with a date it would be a perfect one watch for me. But I've been moving away from dive watches for awhile, so I can see a dive watch fan wanting the BB.
;) I knew he meant smaller I’m just messing with him

I’ve tried BB58 on a couple of times and I can say the experience on the wrist is completely different from a regular Black Bay. BB is too tall and the lug hole placement for the straps is one of the worst in the business, not sure what they were thinking considering that it comes with a NATO strap and is meant to be worn not only on bracelets.

I think ETA is fine but when cross shopping with Explorer it will be brought up each and every time just like it was thrown in the face of ETA Pelagos every time it was compared to Rolex Sub. So having a 70-hour Tudor(Rolex) movement would put Ranger on the same playing field with Explorer. And then you’d have to decide if you are willing to pay 2-3X for basically just the name and a great bracelet.
I would personally take the Ranger with In-house movt over Ex1 just for the size, drilled holes and less bling of a shiny bezel on Ex1

dnslater
Name: Nick

Post by dnslater » Mon Apr 27, 2020 6:17 am

jimyritz wrote:
Mon Apr 27, 2020 5:45 am
Pound for pound- I think the 58 is one of the best watches on the market....Does any other brand giving you an inhouse with 70 hr power reserve and 200M of WR at 4K?
The movement essentially has most of Rolex's newer tech which is pretty fantastic for the money. COSC, silicon hair spring, long power reserve, free spring balance wheel, etc... Just is less decorated. Mine gained about 2 seconds / week in the time that I owned it.

Joeprez
Wants to see pics of your wife
Name: Joe

Post by Joeprez » Mon Apr 27, 2020 7:23 am

Own a BB58 and have tried the Explorer I on the Rolex Boutique several times (long ago, of course :lol:)

The Explorer is a field watch, and those are, well, boring to me. I need a timing bezel or a chrono or a GMT hand. If that doesn't bother you, great... but I've sold all my field watches because of that. Another thing, based no pictures I've seen (and unfortunately can't find :rolleyes: ), the Explorer appears to not work on natos as good as the BB58, if that is your thing:

https://storage.googleapis.com/pubzapus ... 280733.jpg

If you want Rolex, I would go 5 digit Explorer II or Sub.

No secret I love my BB58, it looks great on the bracelet, natos or leather, and the gilt doesn't bother me... It would be a little sterile for me without the gilt or the red triangle (like a Sub is :gayumbrella: )
Last edited by Joeprez on Mon Apr 27, 2020 9:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Omega / Tudor / Rolex / Sinn / Doxa / Seiko

Chocodove

Post by Chocodove » Mon Apr 27, 2020 7:28 am

I dunno...I loved mine on Natos. Had it on one 90% of the time. :shrug:

- Todd

Chocodove

Post by Chocodove » Mon Apr 27, 2020 7:29 am

Dammit, now I want another one!
- Todd

Joeprez

Post by Joeprez » Mon Apr 27, 2020 8:37 am

:lol:

I could not find the pictures, but a DWC member sent me a comparison of the side profile view of an Exp I vs a BB58 and the thin case plus protruding caseback made the ExpI not as great on natos as the BB58. That was his take between the two watches regarding natos (I asked about the wearability on natos for both).

Panerai7

Post by Panerai7 » Mon Apr 27, 2020 8:49 am

Chocodove wrote:
Mon Apr 27, 2020 7:28 am
I dunno...I loved mine on Natos. Had it on one 90% of the time. :shrug:

I was responding to a regular BB it wears like crap on straps because the lug holes are too far from the case.

Joeprez

Post by Joeprez » Mon Apr 27, 2020 9:20 am

Oops, sorry Art, will edit my post.

Todd, is your a 214270?

watchmavan
Name: Watchmavan

Post by watchmavan » Tue Apr 28, 2020 7:18 pm

I have the BB58 and the 214270 mk1 Explorer. Love them both but the 58 which I've had for almost 2 years gets way more wrist time. Would not sell either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

unixshrk
This. Truth.
Name: Chris

Post by unixshrk » Tue Apr 28, 2020 7:21 pm

It’s perfect on NATO

Chocodove

Post by Chocodove » Wed Apr 29, 2020 12:52 pm

Joeprez wrote:
Mon Apr 27, 2020 9:20 am

Todd, is your a 214270?
Yep.
- Todd

bpax
Name: Bill

Post by bpax » Wed Apr 29, 2020 7:15 pm

Have the 214270 and absolutely love it. Pretty much the perfect one watch collection for me.....but I've never seen the BB58 in the flesh.