Tudor BB58 your thoughts & advice.

Discussion of Rolex Watches.
snootydog
Jagermaster
Name: Andy

Tudor BB58 your thoughts & advice.

Post by snootydog » Fri Jun 18, 2021 8:02 am

So here's what I'm thinking. It's only a few years until I retire (or keep working if Pam has her way :lol: ) It'll probably be time to stop buying watches and I was thinking of end watches, probably sell off some of my micro brand watches although I love them all they'll help pay for a good final watch.
Most collectors seem to aim for a Rolex Submariner as their top watch at some stage but however good they are, I really don't like Mercedes hands on any watch.
I recently took more notice of the Black bay 58 and have really fallen for it, they look great and have a Rolex connection so at least I'll be able to say I've got a Rolex sort of :grin: However, there seems to be quite a few versions in the way of sizes and movements. My colour choice would probably be blue dial and bezel but is any particular model better than another?
Andy :uj:

rockmastermike
Feedback Virtuoso
Name: WDE

Re: Tudor BB58 your thoughts & advice.

Post by rockmastermike » Fri Jun 18, 2021 8:46 am

congratulations on being able to see light at the end of the tunnel in terms of your retirement however I would caution picking out a retirement watch a few years in advance as your tastes may change by then, hell my watch tastes change daily, lol

To that point, I thoroughly enjoyed my blue 58 and sold it only to fund "the next one" Great size, accurate, heritage and fairly versatile - as a "one watch" I might consider the black as it goes with more, but that is up to you.

bottom line, If someone put a gun to head and said the BB58 will be your only watch, I would be okay with that.

tmw
Name: The Enabler

Post by tmw » Fri Jun 18, 2021 11:21 am

The bb58 is the best sub, since the sub.

Amd I have both the blue and the gilt.
Stan, don’t you know the first law of physics? Anything that’s fun costs at least eight dollars”
-- Eric Cartman

“To absent friends, lost loves, old gods, and the season of mists; and may each and every one of us always give the devil his due.”
― Neil Gaiman, The Sandman

I bought a cheap watch from a crazy man
Floating down canal
It doesn't use numbers or moving hands
It always just says now
Now you may be thinking that I was had
But this watch is never wrong
And If I have trouble the warranty said
Breathe In, Breathe Out, Move On

- Jimmy Buffett

Joeprez
Wants to see pics of your wife
Name: Joe

Post by Joeprez » Fri Jun 18, 2021 12:18 pm

If you don't need the timing bezel, what about a Rolex Oyster Perpetual or Milgauss?

Love my black BB58 (39mm), great size and just looks like a million bucks. Very comfortable on either bracelet, natos and straps. I could "one watch" one... but even better would be a blue BB58 paired with a Speedy (both probably can be had for the same price of a Sub).

Omega / Tudor / Rolex / Sinn / Doxa / Seiko

jimyritz
Masshole
Name: Mike

Post by jimyritz » Fri Jun 18, 2021 3:27 pm

Great choice...can wear on bracelet, strap, nato... in house--punches weigh above its weight..I've had both black and blue....

snootydog
Jagermaster

Post by snootydog » Fri Jun 18, 2021 3:48 pm

It would certainly not be my only watch. There are some that I'll always keep, my Speedmaster that I'd wanted from when I was a kid and finally got for my 50th,
my Doxa's will stay too and probably a Sinn. Doubt I'll ever be a one watch man.
A BB58 is expensive so a used one would be fine. So one version has an ETA movement and one has an in house movement. Any advantage or disadvantage to either of those that you have found?

watchmavan
Name: Watchmavan

Post by watchmavan » Fri Jun 18, 2021 4:15 pm

snootydog wrote:It would certainly not be my only watch. There are some that I'll always keep, my Speedmaster that I'd wanted from when I was a kid and finally got for my 50th,
my Doxa's will stay too and probably a Sinn. Doubt I'll ever be a one watch man.
A BB58 is expensive so a used one would be fine. So one version has an ETA movement and one has an in house movement. Any advantage or disadvantage to either of those that you have found?
The 58 only comes with the in-house MT5402 calibre.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

dnslater
Name: Nick

Post by dnslater » Fri Jun 18, 2021 5:23 pm

BB58 would be a fine exit watch. Wore one every day for 18 months. Kept great time, was comfortable and reliable. Only sold it because I wanted to try a 16600, but the BB58 is a better “one” watch. Longer PR, more accurate, can wear it anywhere without worry. Etc…. Like a modern version of a 5 digit Sub.

flyskate
Name: Stephen

Post by flyskate » Fri Jun 18, 2021 6:49 pm

Could do the Black Bay Blue 58 with the speedy!
Stephen

snootydog
Jagermaster

Post by snootydog » Sat Jun 19, 2021 1:07 am

watchmavan wrote:
Fri Jun 18, 2021 4:15 pm
snootydog wrote:It would certainly not be my only watch. There are some that I'll always keep, my Speedmaster that I'd wanted from when I was a kid and finally got for my 50th,
So they don't make this one anymore?
This is the one with an ETA movement?

dnslater
Name: Nick

Post by dnslater » Sat Jun 19, 2021 4:31 am

snootydog wrote:
Sat Jun 19, 2021 1:07 am
watchmavan wrote:
So they don't make this one anymore?
This is the one with an ETA movement?
Your confusing the BB58 line (39mm dia and 11.7mm thick) with the older 41mm Blackbay line which is this red version. 41mm versions are chunkier. They no longer make Black bays with an ETA, the three handers all have an in house movement.

jimyritz
Masshole
Name: Mike

Post by jimyritz » Sat Jun 19, 2021 4:51 am

Personally think the black dial 58 is more of a "one" watch than the Blue...the pre-owned prices are not that much lower than brand new...hard to beat, very comfortable, 200M, 70 hr power reserve...

JBZ
Mr. Tasseled Loafer
Name: Jeff

Post by JBZ » Sat Jun 19, 2021 6:19 am

I think the 58 black is a great looking watch, and I love the size compared to the 41, which is just too thick like a lot of Tudor offerings. I’d go with the black over the blue if I had to pick one. No date kills it as a one watch for me, but if that doesn’t matter to you, you could do a lot worse.

snootydog
Jagermaster

Post by snootydog » Sat Jun 19, 2021 6:58 am

dnslater wrote:
Sat Jun 19, 2021 4:31 am
snootydog wrote:
Sat Jun 19, 2021 1:07 am
watchmavan wrote:
Image[/url]
Your confusing the BB58 line (39mm dia and 11.7mm thick) with the older 41mm Blackbay line which is this red version. 41mm versions are chunkier. They no longer make Black bays with an ETA, the three handers all have an in house movement.

Ah, so this is why I was thinking there were so many options, size & movements.

dukerules

Post by dukerules » Sat Jun 19, 2021 7:23 am

If you don’t need a date, I can’t think of a better one watch than either of the BB58s, as long as you are ok with a watch that doesn’t have the classic black and pure white color scheme. The price is right, the build quality and movement are excellent, and the case is my favorite amongst the entire Rolex/Tudor lineup.

snootydog
Jagermaster

Post by snootydog » Sat Jun 19, 2021 9:13 am

dukerules wrote:
Sat Jun 19, 2021 7:23 am
If you don’t need a date, I can’t think of a better one watch than either of the BB58s, as long as you are ok with a watch that doesn’t have the classic black and pure white color scheme. The price is right, the build quality and movement are excellent, and the case is my favorite amongst the entire Rolex/Tudor lineup.
Definitely don't need a date, in fact I prefer no date watches.
:thumbsup:

jswing
Founder, TDWC MM300 Fan Club
Name: Jeff

Post by jswing » Mon Jun 21, 2021 6:27 am

I have both the black and blue 58, and highly recommend either. I've had the 41mm version, and IMO the proportions are just off. If you want the feel of a Submariner, it's got to be the 58. They cost pretty much the same new or used, so I'd hunt down a new one.

snootydog
Jagermaster

Post by snootydog » Wed Jun 23, 2021 2:23 am

Sounds like the BB58 is the one to go for then :thumbsup:
Next step is to visit my nearest Tudor AD and see what I think of it in reality. :grin: Thanks guys.

JP Chestnut
Name: Jacob

Post by JP Chestnut » Wed Jun 23, 2021 6:38 am

snootydog wrote:
Wed Jun 23, 2021 2:23 am
Next step is to visit my nearest Tudor AD and see what I think of it in reality. :grin: Thanks guys.
They just released a LE in bronze with a Glidelock clasp. I can’t image it won’t make it onto the SS version as well. I wouldn’t buy the current version until there’s some clarity around when the updated clasp will show up.

River Rat
DWC Tribal Council

Post by River Rat » Wed Jun 23, 2021 6:03 pm

Congrats Andy on your up coming retirement. Good choice on a Tudor snowflake as a retirement watch. I did the same thing but when I retired only vintage Tudor Snowflakes were around at the time. And for the same reason I like the Snowflake hands better than what was on the Rolex subs and they were cheaper 2000 for a vintage Snowflake or 4000-6000 for a vintage Rolex sub at the time. Good luck on your choice.

wrist enthusiast
Name: roger

Post by wrist enthusiast » Sun Jun 27, 2021 10:11 pm

Andy Congratulations on retiring.
As an owner of the blue BB58 and i have a coworker with the black BB58, it is an excellent choice. it is more slender than the 41mm non 58 versions and has 70 hr power reserve in house movement anti magnetic. its just a great watch for the money. I own a 36mm Explorer. i understand you don't like the Mercedes hands. if that's the case, the Tudor BB58 in any color has a wonderful happiness: $$ ratio.

but i will go against the grain of a couple other commenters and say "buy it now". don't wait until you retire. You won't regret buying it, you will regret not buying it sooner.
Roger
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"I am pretty much the best at being modest"
"If they gave an award for being me, I would totally win."

watchmavan
Name: Watchmavan

Post by watchmavan » Sun Jun 27, 2021 10:58 pm

JP Chestnut wrote:
snootydog wrote:
Wed Jun 23, 2021 2:23 am
They just released a LE in bronze with a Glidelock clasp. I can’t image it won’t make it onto the SS version as well. I wouldn’t buy the current version until there’s some clarity around when the updated clasp will show up.
When in the history of watchmaking has Tudor or Rolex provided clarity on what they will do in the future!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

River Rat
DWC Tribal Council

Post by River Rat » Wed Jun 30, 2021 9:36 am

Have you thought of the Black Bay chronograph I bet this one will go up in value years down the road. And it does look good.
https://www.tudorwatch.com/en/watches/b ... 9360n-0001