Rolex 71’ Cosmo…Big Bux

Discussion of Rolex Watches.
JDC222
Demander of Intro Threads
Name: Dave

Rolex 71’ Cosmo…Big Bux

Post by JDC222 » Fri Jun 03, 2022 8:03 am

Whisky has killed more men than bullets, but most men would rather be full of whisky than bullets.
Winston Churchill.

JBZ
Mr. Tasseled Loafer
Name: Jeff

Re: Rolex 71’ Cosmo…Big Bux

Post by JBZ » Fri Jun 03, 2022 12:31 pm

I've seen this before, but it is very cool. The guy knew that Rolex was a "good watch for diving", so he bought a non-diver Rolex, (rightly) decided he shouldn't dive with it, and then kept it in the box and never wore it. And it happened to be a ROC Paul Newman (which probably was available at a discount at the time, because the Paul Newman Daytonas never sold well when they were available at retail).

I wonder what he decided to do. Since he wasn't wearing it, maybe he sold it, or maybe he has an heir that he wants to pass it down to.

johnruffin

Post by johnruffin » Thu Dec 07, 2023 2:10 am

JDC222 wrote:
Fri Jun 03, 2022 8:03 am
Amazing, this guy is a true veteran, keeping all the boxes and documentation and realizing he bought something that was too nice to wear. Just outstanding.
the Appraisers reaction is really felt here. He would love to have this watch that is for sure.
Hopefully if this man sold this watch, he did so a few months ago when watch prices were at an all time high. I'm betting to the right person, this is easily a million dollar watch. I feel this is actually under valued. I'm betting if this went to an international type auction house, this would be bought by a Rolex founding family member type of person.

BacoNoir
Name: Roger

Post by BacoNoir » Thu Dec 07, 2023 2:46 pm

Wow! Great watch and good to see it in the hands of an EOD tech.
www.simplynoble.net
Time Magazine Person of the Year - 2006