Re: Doxa is in real trouble

Post by jeckyll » Sun Aug 28, 2022 7:09 am

Ryeguy wrote:
Fri Jun 17, 2022 12:06 pm
gwells wrote:
Fri Jun 17, 2022 11:47 am
Ryeguy wrote:
Fri Jun 17, 2022 10:45 am
If, however, you offer the style of the original, but have advanced the ball with either design or material enhancements to make it "better", then the line gets fuzzy in my mind.

I respect we all have different opinions on this topic. All good.
i draw the line if you only make material enhancements. at that point, you're still stealing the design. if you use the design as inspiration and create something different, but similar enough you can see the inspiration, that's different. if it's essentially a straight design copy with a different material or dial color, as a creative by trade, i very much dislike that. i'm fine if you use my design to inspire derivative work. i'm not so fine if you just take my design.
It's all good and I think people who come from a creative background also have stronger feelings on the subject.

From an academic perspective, with no enforceable patents and no original designer left alive, is there ever an acceptable clone?

Its just a curious point for me because I would have no issue owning a Kimber 1911 clone and I do own a Sig P320 Walther PPK "homage" / clone, but I find the Seastern pretty distasteful.

Arguably, there is no difference between what Kimber, Ruger, etc. are doing to Colt to what Maranez (et al.) are doing to Doxa.
This is interesting, I'd not thought of this comparison and it parallels nicely
We all have the same enemy. The enemy is the tyranny of the dull mind. - - Tom Robbins

Ryeguy
Name: Chris

Post by Ryeguy » Sun Aug 28, 2022 1:10 pm

FWIW, I think the Doxa management decision to rapidly expand to an AD network (something like 59 AD locations) is a bigger threat to Doxa longevity than Maranez (and the other clones).

While I understand Doxa’s determination to keep their products out of the grey markets (AKA “The Great Jomashop Sale of 2022”) and defend their prices by not allowing AD’s to run sales, my suspicion is these AD’s will break their contracts with Doxa if the products don’t sell.

I suspect Doxa has a stock buyback clause in their AD contract, but I’m not certain how enforceable those are, nor am I certain of the fiscal ability of Doxa to support those buybacks if a number of AD’s decide to end their relationship at once.

Obviously, everything is just a guess on my part, but I’ll be very surprised if we don’t see another Joma or Ashford Doxa sale within the next year. The fact there was an initial attempt suggests there will likely be others.

putrzop
Name: Jose sally

Post by putrzop » Fri Oct 21, 2022 5:25 am

I would consider homages to watches currently in production basically stealing.

snootydog
Jagermaster
Name: Andy

Post by snootydog » Fri Oct 21, 2022 9:10 am

putrzop wrote:
Fri Oct 21, 2022 5:25 am
Welcome to the forum. A first post intro in the main forum would have been better though.
Andy :uj:

jeckyll
Honorary Assistant Jr. Hall Monitor in Training
Name: Björn

Post by jeckyll » Fri Oct 21, 2022 3:11 pm

snootydog wrote:
Fri Oct 21, 2022 9:10 am
putrzop wrote:
Welcome to the forum. A first post intro in the main forum would have been better though.
You channeling Dave? :fro:
We all have the same enemy. The enemy is the tyranny of the dull mind. - - Tom Robbins

snootydog
Jagermaster
Name: Andy

Post by snootydog » Fri Oct 21, 2022 4:10 pm

jeckyll wrote:
Fri Oct 21, 2022 3:11 pm
snootydog wrote:
Fri Oct 21, 2022 9:10 am
putrzop wrote:
You channeling Dave? :fro:
:roll: :roll:

No just getting pissed off with all the new guys landing their first posts anywhere but in the main forum. :grin:
Andy :uj: